Scored 2 tix to UFC 62

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mike Backer
Bozworth wanna be
Location: Middle of the formation, four yards from the line of scrimmage.

Scored 2 tix to UFC 62

Post by Mike Backer »

My first live MMA event. Hopefully will witness Chuck smack Babalu around, but that match up worries me.
I'm the guy who tossed Mark Cuban's salad by proxy.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

It's the fight nobody wants to happen. If Babalu beats Chuck -- a very real possibility -- then what happens to the proposed Chuck vs. Wanderlei Silva fight of the century?
Mike Backer
Bozworth wanna be

Post by Mike Backer »

Agreed.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Hopefully the Iceman will get it done.

Check out his workout clips:
http://www.islandmartialarts.com/index. ... 4&SetCat=1
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I think that Wanderlei and Chuck will fight regardless of the outcome of the Babalu fight. Just my opinion.

Styles and matchups make most fights. Chuck is a real bad matchup for Babalu. I don't see this fight going any different than their last one.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

So who do you like in a Chuck vs. Wandy matchup?
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I'll go with Liddell for the following reasons:

1. It's in the cage. Chuck is far more familiar with that setting than Silva is.

2. I think that Silva's ultra-aggressive style will be a con not a pro in this matchup. Liddell's biggest asset is his counterpunching ability. Silva tends to throw wild looping shots. Chuck just has to mail one counter right down the chute and Silva will be in huge trouble. Silva usually gets tagged with a counterpunch or two in each of his fights. He recovers really well though. Chuck is a great finisher as well.

That said, I wouldn't bet money on the fight because Wanderlei Silva is extremely dangerous. He can throw fists and knees with the best of 'em. One thing that I would bet money on is the fight not going the distance. Those guys are going to go at it until one dude is unconscious.

Forget the ground game in this one unless Silva gets in trouble. At that point, he may resort to some BJJ to give himself time to clear his head. That's assuming that he could get Liddell down, which isn't easy to do.
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

Last I heard, Dana White said Wandy/Liddell is as good as DEAD.

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
Mike Backer
Bozworth wanna be

Post by Mike Backer »

WhatsMyName wrote:Last I heard, Dana White said Wandy/Liddell is as good as DEAD.
Link?
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

The story that I'm getting is that there has not been any contracts signed due to the "what if's" surrounding the two fighters. It's more of a gentlemen's agreement between UFC & Pride at this point. If Chuck wins and is injury free on Saturday, more serious talks will resume. Of course, Silva has to get through the rest of Pride's OWGP unscathed as well.

Basically, there is nothing set in stone and one of a hundred things could derail this fight.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Mike Backer wrote:
WhatsMyName wrote:Last I heard, Dana White said Wandy/Liddell is as good as DEAD.
Link?
Branny,

Here's the article from UFC.com

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_4245393

UFC: Liddell beats `Babalu' like drum
Light heavyweight champ retains belt.
By James Melroy, Staff writer

LAS VEGAS - Total destruction.

That is the only way to describe UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell's victory over Renato "Babalu" Sobral in the main event of UFC 62 on Saturday night at Mandalay Bay Events Center.

An overhand right, followed by an uppercut felled a previously charging Sobral, whose curious game plan seemed to fall in line with Liddell's strength as perhaps UFC's most devastating puncher.

Once Sobral was on the ground, Liddell began raining blows down onto his opponent's head. It appeared for a moment that Sobral might be able to weather the storm as Liddell, known by fight fans world wide as "The Iceman," backed off momentarily.

But as Sobral appeared to try to gather himself on the ground, Liddell pounced again, landing two sharp blows to the head of Sobral, who appeared to be dazed. Liddell got on top of his opponent and appeared ready to thrown down more blows, but referee John McCarthy stopped the fight at 1 minute, 35 seconds into the fight.

"I knew he was hurt - he was fighting hard," Liddell said. "But he was out and I stayed on top and kept hurting him. When he hit me, I wasn't hurt at all. If I get a guy to come after me, I'll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exchange (punches) with him all day. I've got heavy hands. I caught him with that uppercut - I've been working on that. He was rocked when I hit him with that uppercut."

Liddell, who improved to 19-3-0 in his career, is not sure who he will be fighting next. It was announced at UFC 61 in July that Liddell would be defending his title against PRIDE's Wanderlei Silva.

However, that fight appears to be in jeopardy and Liddell's next opponent may be long-time rival Tito Ortiz.

"Fighting motivates me - I love what we do here," Liddell said in a post-fight interview. "That guy (pointing to Ortiz, who was seated outside the Octagon as a spectator) motivates me. Hopefully, we can talk him into fighting me again.

"If Tito wants to fight me, I would love the opportunity. I'll KO him just like I did last time."