should the homeless be fed?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

How 'bout "performance art?"

"Punch and Judy Theater" with real bats.

C'mon, you know a lot of 'em have been practicing the scenes on their own for years...
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

I'm surprised Al Qaeda isn't recruiting these losers with promises of 70 pounds of meth in the afterlife.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:I'm surprised Al Qaeda isn't recruiting these losers with promises of 70 pounds of meth in the afterlife.
Their existence right now is so miserable that I don't think they're too concerned about the afterlife. Just sayin'.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

mvscal wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Their existence right now is so miserable
Says who?
Maybe that depends on what part of the country they're in. I wouldn't want to be homeless in these parts around winter. Many of them don't live through the winter.
The vast majority of them are doing exactly what they want to do.
A lot of them are so far gone mentally that they have no capacity to make anything remotely approaching a rational choice.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
YD
Michael McDonald

Post by YD »

Should the homeless be fed?
yes

debinitly

To each other
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:A lot of them are so far gone mentally that they have no capacity to make anything remotely approaching a rational choice.
And a lot of them are living in warm appartments subsidized by the taxpayers and comming out during the day to grift whatever they can to satisfy their cravings. Any help given to the homeless that isn't designed to move them either back into the working world with all due haste or into the appropriate mental treatment facility is a waste of time and money.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

BSmack wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:A lot of them are so far gone mentally that they have no capacity to make anything remotely approaching a rational choice.
And a lot of them are living in warm appartments subsidized by the taxpayers and comming out during the day to grift whatever they can to satisfy their cravings.
I thought we were talking about the homeless. I would submit that anyone living in an apartment is, by definition, not homeless, regardless of who is paying for said apartment.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
mvscal wrote:
A lot of them are so far gone mentally that they have no capacity to make anything remotely approaching a rational choice.
Cut me a fucking break, Terry. :meds: Cut with your 'facts of life' schtick and realize that while mvscal's post is simple, it's deep... and accurate.

Are there many mentallyill homeless? Yes, of course. Are there a shitload of them that haven't a modicum of will to get a fucking job and are happy to take the myriad handouts supplied them? Definitely.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

The water in the U&L is so full of King...errr....chinook salmon you can literally walk on it
Not if I have anything to do with it. As a native Northwester, it is required to have a second freezer to store your fish and elk, which I do have. I like to eat chinook...at least once a week, all fucking year long. So... if you eat a lot you have to fish a lot...and I am getting down there....but not to fear... the early fall chinook will soon be taking my bait, and then to my barbeque and freezer.
That's almost as good as sending them all to Portland.
Why the fuck not.....??? Dude that was begging on Hwy 26 at Cornell this morning had his fucking huge pit bull there with him...and this was at 6 am. Hoping to get the dog lovers jack.... and then this afternoon same dude was there with a fucking set of crutches... holding his "HOMELESS" sign....fuck them...

My neighbor has arrested the same dude about a billion times for beating up other homeless trying to move in on his turf ( traffic light controlled free way on ramp)...last time the loser beat the shit out of some "homeless" skank who got there an hour before he does.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

timmay wrote:
Should the homeless be fed?
yes

debinitly

To each other
Naaa they would make some good chow at local zoos for lions and bears and stuff, maybe even howler monkeys will eat em if they are tenderized and marinated

uhhhhhh
scratch the marinade as I'm sure 20 years of Boone's Farm has already done the job.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
BSmack wrote:And a lot of them are living in warm appartments subsidized by the taxpayers and comming out during the day to grift whatever they can to satisfy their cravings.
I thought we were talking about the homeless. I would submit that anyone living in an apartment is, by definition, not homeless, regardless of who is paying for said apartment.
No, we were talking about people "whom a reasonable ordinary person would believe to be entitled to apply for or receive assistance". That does not necessarily mean a homeless person.

If I might, allow me to tell you where I'm coming from.

Back in the early 90s I spent four years in downtown Rochester as a foot messenger and process server. It was a job that had me on the streets of Rochester for 6-8 hours a day, every day for four years. There was a time when I knew every regular panhandler between Nick Tahou's and the Eastman Theatre by both sight and reputation. There was not a single DAY in which I was not approached for money/smokes multiple times. I've had crackheads try to crawl through my car window, women offer to blow me, guys begging me for "bus fare" so that they can see their kids, people claiming that they were asking me "for Jesus" and they just wanted to "hold" the money for Him...

In short, I've heard every fucking appeal for cash you could ever possibly think of and a few that would certainly make RtS literally shit his pants. And I've also seen way too many of these "homeless" people walking in and out of the Cadillac or the old South Ave hotel or the St. Paul Apartments to think that they are all homeless. And I have spoken to way too many of the saner contingent of panhandlers and been “shocked” to find out that they were not sleeping under the Broad Street Bridge but rather in a place off Monroe or Lyell Ave.

With some exceptions, it is my opinion that most of the people you see grifting and panhandling are not “homeless”, they are JOBLESS. And that is what any transient help program should recognize. Like FDR did with the CCC back in our grandparent’s day. Just giving people a free lunch in the middle of a public park only serves to ingrain and reinforce antisocial behavior at the expense of taxpayers who would like to use their parks without being accosted by panhandlers.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

^^ Yep. About 10 years back I was approached by this 20 something guy in a small shopping center for money for bus fare. Seems his car broke down, and he was going to miss an important job interview. I said no, he begged for even just a dollar. I walked on. He moved on to someone else.

5 months later, same guy different place in the valley a few blocks from there. This time I overheard him using a variation of the same story to an elderly couple. It wasn't a job interview this time, it was a job he was late for and going to be fired from, but again the car broke down on his way to his "job". I watched him for a while. Guy was a great actor. He must have taken in 10-15 bucks in the 15 minutes I watched him work. Didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get to that job he was late for. Never heard of a bus ride costing much more than a buck fitty in the valley, either.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mister Bushice wrote:^^ Yep. About 10 years back I was approached by this 20 something guy in a small shopping center for money for bus fare. Seems his car broke down, and he was going to miss an important job interview. I said no, he begged for even just a dollar. I walked on. He moved on to someone else.

5 months later, same guy different place in the valley a few blocks from there. This time I overheard him using a variation of the same story to an elderly couple. It wasn't a job interview this time, it was a job he was late for and going to be fired from, but again the car broke down on his way to his "job". I watched him for a while. Guy was a great actor. He must have taken in 10-15 bucks in the 15 minutes I watched him work. Didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get to that job he was late for. Never heard of a bus ride costing much more than a buck fitty in the valley, either.
The "need bus fare for a job interview" line is one of the more common lines I remember hearing. It's right up there with the "I just need a buck for some food" and "you got some change you can spare?" lines in the pantheon of panhandling. Sad that there are some people out there without the common sense to see through the bullshit.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

mvscal wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Their existence right now is so miserable
Says who?

they are, in fact, the very embidoment of the term" leisure class":

they have no responsibilities or obligations to meet. they literally ARE doing exactly what they want (i.e. get intoxicated all day, every day) and don't do a goddam thing they don't want to do (e.g. bathe).

4 pages and only 1 soylent green reset? how's about 1 more:
Dinsdale wrote:Dinsdale wrote:

... render their newfound fat into biodeisel.
You're gonna need a bigger garbage truck
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

About 7 or 8 years back one of the local news channels did a story about the guys panhandling on freeway off ramps. These guys were pulling in a couple hundred a day from suckers giving them a 5 or 10 spot because they were "starving".
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

I personally like the "I need money for airfare" line the best.

During recent trips to New Orleans, including last week's, I ran across several panhandlers - not necessarily homeless, but beggars nonetheless. What diminishes my sympathy for them is that fast-food joints and other employers of unskilled labor are offering higher-than-average wages for such work; Wendy's & McD's are paying around $10/hr to flip burgers, and are offering bonuses to those who stick around for a few months. Not great $$, but it hardly inspires me to give when they're begging right outside these places!

A colleague told me about a panhandler who approached him with his dog, saying he wanted caysh for him & his pooch to eat. Dude who was approached had just gone to the pet store & bought a case of food for his dog, so rather than give dude $$, he gave him a can of dog food to feed Fido. Asswipe beggar chucked the can at dude's car, denting it, saying he wasn't gonna eat no dog food. Needless to say, no cash was forthcoming, either.

Saw a grifter workin' the Metro trains here in DC, asking for train fare. A passenger gave him a buck and told him to get himself sumpin' to eat. Dude says, "I just had me a steak & lobster dinner - I ain't beggin' fo' food money!" He got off at the next stop, I got off a stop or two later, and saw the same guy getting off a different car on the same train. I'm guessing he could prolly clear $30-50/hr doin' that if he really applies himself.

Call me callous, but I don't contribute to panhandlers.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

I was at a Barnes & Noble a couple weeks back. I'm leaving and there's some guy standing at the exit of the plaza holding a sign.

"Homeless WWII Vet
Born 1929. Hungry
Help Me"

So he was 13 when he was fighting in WWII. I had a lot of sympathy for him.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

JCT wrote:So he was 13 when he was fighting in WWII. I had a lot of sympathy for him.
So, d'ja toss him an MRE?
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

JCT wrote:About 7 or 8 years back one of the local news channels did a story about the guys panhandling on freeway off ramps. These guys were pulling in a couple hundred a day from suckers giving them a 5 or 10 spot because they were "starving".
That's practically a regular job for most of them.

They have somebody drop them off in the AM of the morning and pick them up at the PM of the afternooner.

I was considering this, but it turned out they wanted me to wear a bluetooth headset, so I told them to fuck off instead
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

R-Jack wrote:The only time I've ever contributed to a bum was also probably the only time I left a bar with money in my pocket. I probably would've just walked by if I was only a little tipsy, but at the time I felt good about my contribution to "The United Negro 40 ounce malt liquor Fund."
FT. You don't really think some black dude hanging in front of a bar is heading for mickey D's do ya? :)
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

I actually had this seedy looking wreck of a guy hit me up for a couple of bucks outside a bar a couple weeks ago. When I asked him what he needed the money for, he said he wanted to buy a cheap bottle of something.

I gave him a five.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Archive this Thread!!

and while you are at it..

RACK JCT for his "Soup" line! (Page 1) and Rack Rich Fader for hitting that meatball out of the park!
(Fed to What!! ...) (Page 2)

Half a Rack to Believe the Heupel for his "Bum Fights" suggestion.

Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

and of course the dinsdale reset goes right the fuck over everybody's head.

i don't know why i even fucking bother anymore...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Cuda wrote:and of course the dinsdale reset goes right the fuck over everybody's head.

i don't know why i even fucking bother anymore...
Maybe you should try a Toddowen reset?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cuda wrote:and of course the dinsdale reset goes right the fuck over everybody's head.
Well, maybe not everybody's.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Jack wrote:Archive this Thread!!

and while you are at it..

RACK JCT for his "Soup" line! (Page 1)
I better get at least half of that rack, since I e-mailed him that earlier that same morning. I prefer babybacks with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce.
4 king guy
Elwood

Post by 4 king guy »

Make the Homeless work for Food!!

There was this homeless guy laying in an alley drinking some Ripple. The man drank so much that he passed out, keeling over on his cardboard bed. A gay guy happened to walk buy and noticed this. So he looked around and "had his way" with the homeless man. The guy left $10 by the man.

The man woke up and slurred, "Hey where'd this come from? Oh, well." So he went to the liquor store and told the clerk, "I'd like $10 worth of Ripple." So the clerk gave it to him.

Now the homeless man layed there once again, nuking the bottle of Ripple, and passes out again. The same gay guy walks by, notices that the man is still out cold, and once again, has his way with him. This time was pretty good for the gay guy, so he left $20.

Once again the homeless man wakes up, wonders where the $20 came from, "Hey, a 20! All right!!" So he stumbles to the liquor store and buys $20 worth of Ripple. He then goes back and continues his drinking binge.

Once again, the gay guy walks by and has his way with the homeless man. This time was the best one so far, so the gay guy left the homeless man a $100 bill, and walked off.

The homeless man just about had a heart attack when he found a $100 next to him. He went into the liquor store and the clerk said, "I suppose you want some more Ripple, huh?"

The homeless man slurred, "No, give me the best, most expensive whiskey you've got." The clerk said, "What, are you tired of Ripple?" The homeless man said, "Yeah, that cheap stuff's tearing up my ass."

What's the difference between a homeless and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of four.

Sherlock Homeless....
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

R-Jack wrote: RACK that.

The best sause you can get at a supermarket. The only problem is that no homeless were harmed in the making of that sause.
Word. The OL thinks I'm the ribs king and all I do is season the meat while cooking and slather on a bunch of Sweet Baby Rays just before they're done. Good some?