What would you do for twice your salary??

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

I've been offered a 1 year job offer for exactly twice my salary..

The problem is.. I live in RI and the job is in California. It's a government job and they won't relocate my family...

I have 3 teenage sons who need a strong father figure and much stability..

so, on that basis, I have to say .. NO!
and stay in my current (going nowhere) job.. I do get paid fairly well at this one... so double that and I'm a pig in shit!!

What would you do?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Mexifornia or New England ??
a no brainer !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Why wouldn't your kids have the same strong father figure in California as they have in RI?

I don't know what the cost of living is in RI, but that would obviously be a major factor. If the house you live in now would cost about twice as much in Cali, then why bother? But if it's fairly comparable, then I'd go for it. The kids might be upset in the short term, but they'd eventually realize that it's better for the whole family.
"Keys, woman!"
fenway
beantown booster

Post by fenway »

Wolfman wrote:Mexifornia or New England ??
a no brainer !!

Rack!

Stay here Jack. There's no place like home.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

guess you gotta ask what would happen in a year? Would this yob lead to other high paying gigs? Or would you be faced with possibly packing up and moving again?

Where in cali is it? Th at would also affect your decision. It's not like RI where it don't matter since pretty much any place is a short walk from another.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

take the money and get a skank on the side. thats what id do.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Shrubber wrote:If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a house
(I would buy you a house)
If I had a million dollars
I'd buy you furniture for your house
(Maybe a nice la-z-boy or a Craftmatic)
And if I had a million dollars
Well, I'd buy you a wheelchair
(A nice iron-sided automobile)
If I had a million dollars I'd buy your druuuuuugs

I'd build an owl's nest in our yard
My kids could help, it wouldn't be that hard
Maybe I could have a little tiny pharmacy in there somewhere
You know, I could just go up there and fill my own 'scrips
Like put alcohol warnings on there and stuff
There could also be non-standard specialty items in there
Like little bacon-wrapped percosets and things

Well, I'd prepay '09 taxes
(don't wait 'till the real '09 that's cruel)
And if I had a million dollars
Well, I'd tell you some secrets
(About Zyclone or Bacefunkel)
Well, I'd stalk me a panther
(Haven't you always hated ppanther)

I’d buy your druuuuuuuugs

If I had a million dollars, If I had a million dollars
If I had a million dollars, If I had a million dollars
I'd be rich
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

i liked biggie alot better when cuda didnt have the __s_w_rd
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

What would I do for double my salary?

Probably half as much work. When I used to get paid double time on stat holidays I always seemed to do twice as much slacking off.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Well, I know I wouldn't bail on my current job for a higher paying one, even much higher, w/out the assurance of a paycheck after a year.

Effing no-brainer. Seriously. Why even ask this question? However...

... if the job offer in Cali were to operate a forklift and manage 3 other forklift drivers... I'd book the next flight to Cali.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I don't know what the cost of living is in RI...
My guess is pretty effing high. Mebee approaching one of the highest in the country.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

I'd tape all your buns together.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Depends on exactly where in Cali you are going to end up....

If it's Socal forget it.

You truly have to live here to understand what is happening around here completely.

Since our fearless leaders have pussed out on enforcing existing immigration laws the frijoles are literally drunk with power and running even more rampant that before..

Many parts of LA are literally Tijuana, Orange County is on a fast track and white people are on the run here.

I know being the evil white devil that I am :meds: I am not supposed to say these ahem...racist things but at some point ya gotta call it like it is. Mexifornia is a very accurate description right about now. The sad thing is that I grew up here, went to college in another state, then came home to find this.....

I don't care if Mexicans live here, what I despise is that they seem to want to bring Tijuana with them.

Mexicans are moving into every neighborhood, living 26 to a house while the city is afraid to enforce it's own code cause they will be called racist.

Every fucking garage is a second house for an entire family, every street is overcrowded with cars.

If you don't speak at least passing Spanish you are gonna have problems.

Yeah the chicks are hot but at some point you have to wonder if it all is worth it.

Traffic nightmares, racial tensions, pussy gang tagging of every wall in sight, high cost of living....

The problem is that I have a real decent job not to mention that I hold a longshoreman casual card that comes in real handy when I desire to earn extra money for the month.

In other words it's difficult to imagine leaving here anytime soon.

Personally I don't have kids but if I did I sure as fuck wouldn't want them going to the public schools in certain areas in this state.

It's your decision but I'd think real long and hard about it if I were you.

The socal luster is long gone.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

TheLastRighteousHonky wrote:Depends on exactly where in Cali you are going to end up....
If you moved out of South Central you might have a better point of view.
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

Two chicks at the same time.
Life's Pretty Straight Without Jimmy Medalions.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Mikey wrote:
TheLastRighteousHonky wrote:Depends on exactly where in Cali you are going to end up....
If you moved out of South Central you might have a better point of view.
:lol:

But that would mean leaving my homies....

Between the 22 and the 91 in Orange County.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

There is no guarantee after 1 year but most likely this will last until 2010.

I have the possibility of these 4 sites (depending on current need) Sacramento, Fresno, Riverside or Los Alamitos.

It is an unaccompanied tour with the Army. I currently have 20 years time in service with 14 of it, Active. In other words, I can retire on the spot with a pension with 6 more years of Active Duty. or I can wait til I am 60 and retire with a smaller (but decent) pension.

I would be by myself for the 1st year and if I stayed on, I could bring the family (at my own expense). My youngest son is going to be a Sophomore in High School. My middle son is going to be a Senior next year. My oldest is in his 1st year at New England Tech, a 2 year trade school (he lives at home).

My 2 youngest sons have recently been caught by the authorities in possession of "chronic"... (That is why I say, they need me around!!)

I am debating this one...your input is appreciated.

What do you all know about - Sacramento, Fresno, Riverside or Los Alamitos?
Risa
nubian napalm - numidian princess

Post by Risa »

Jack wrote:There is no guarantee after 1 year but most likely this will last until 2010.

I have the possibility of these 4 sites (depending on current need) Sacramento, Fresno, Riverside or Los Alamitos.
Ah, so they're sending you to sunny Norte Mexico. Habla espagnol? Don't listen to me.

Don't trust 'most likely'. People have been put out on the street trusting 'most likely'. Get shit down on paper. Get a guarantee. (yeah, I know, nothing is guaranteed.. but definitely don't trust someone verbally saying shit).

Also, there's more to life than a salary, particularly if a salary increase comes with a substantial increase in the cost of living. $500 does a lot more in New Mexico than it does in California. Don't take a pay increase that actually ends up being a decrease in real terms. Most everyone is right about making sure that that salary, and that move, is guaranteed for more than a year (or less) before you make the move.

If there's upward mobility attached then take the chance. If your current position is on the cutting block in the forseeable future, whether you choose the move or not, do what you need to do to get out of that position.

Good luck, to you and your family no matter which decisions you make.
on a short leash, apparently.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

What do you all know about - Sacramento, Fresno, Riverside or Los Alamitos?
Stay put, those places all rank pretty high on the Suck scale.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

I don't have to worry about rent or mortgage in California... They will put me up in an efficiency apartment.

as far as upward mobility...it's an Army job. I will do alright..

As far as getting things down on paper..It's the government..(From the people that brought you.. we're from the government and we are here to help..)

My job will be to oversee the medical care of Reservists and National Guardsmen form California that have been mobilized due to current operations.. I have the choice of declining this because I just got off of 2 years involuntary mobilization.

My major dilemma in this is leaving my teenage sons during the tough year(s). My orders are good for 1 year at a time. When I come off orders, I can always get a job just not at the same rate of pay and not one that means as much to me. I enjoy taking care of soldiers and making sure they get the best medical care possible. I also enjoy being a father and teaching my sons how to deal with life...
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

Jack wrote:I have the possibility of these 4 sites (depending on current need) Sacramento, Fresno, Riverside

HOLY HELL!!! NO! NO! NO!!!!!

Los Alamitos.

MAYBE.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Los Alamitos is 10 min away from me.

I lived there briefly back in the day, the high school is good, I go to a bar in that town to this day. :lol:

Rack The Boondocks.

Are you taking about the Base in Los Al? Last time I drove through there that place was shut down, been a while though.

It's good for now but in a few years watch out, the frijoles are moving that way.

For now it's your basic upper middle class white neighborhood...mostly.

I'd say that would be your best bet.
Risa
nubian napalm - numidian princess

Post by Risa »

There is no 'maybe'. It's all New Aztlan. If Jack wants to chill in an 'across the border' atmosphere, he's military. Things are different. Be a lot worse if he were a civilian, yes? And maybe Jack'll do well. I don't know what nationality he is or his personality. Maybe he gets along with everyone, even when he doesn't know the language. Maybe he does know the language.

I don't know, cuz I don't know Jack. To me, sounds like he really, really, really wants to go.... otherwise, there'd be no pangs about potentially leaving his sons for a year or 4. It's a bitch to travel back and forth across the country to attend to the important things; but it's not like he's going to Beirut or Pyongyang or somewhere. It's just Mexico, mordida and economic/social racism against non-Latinos and all.

Since the military is paying for his housing, he doesn't even have that to worry about, two different households. Just his guilt about wanting to make more money for his family, during the years when he wants to be there for his boys... which are ironically the years when they are breaking away from the parents.

What's funny (weird) is that some people have better relationships with their parents when they are apart than when they are together. And it's not like there isn't a such thing as internet webcam hookups so dad is alway aware and can talk to his boys, and take those trips to visit them during the important times.

Jack, sleep on your guilt for wanting to do this. Think it over a couple days. And talk to your sons. If it's this big of a decision, and they're the biggest part of the decision, and they're getting grown... start to treat them like young adults and let them in on your decision making.

It's gotta be for more than the money,... not least because providence usually has a way of giving you something better down the road that you really want. You say you love working with the soldiers?

But again, I don't know what I'm talking about. So follow your heart.
on a short leash, apparently.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

Risa wrote:I don't know what I'm talking about.
Truer words have never been posted.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

The money is tempting but I would suggest you stay and be w/ your kids. Your kids are almost out of the house and you should spend as much time w/ them as possible.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Riverside is almost the O.C. your kids would love it.
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Re: What would you do for twice your salary??

Post by Mississippi Neck »

Jack wrote:I've been offered a 1 year job offer for exactly twice my salary..

The problem is.. I live in RI and the job is in California. It's a government job and they won't relocate my family...

I have 3 teenage sons who need a strong father figure and much stability..

so, on that basis, I have to say .. NO!
and stay in my current (going nowhere) job.. I do get paid fairly well at this one... so double that and I'm a pig in shit!!

What would you do?
How can anyone answer that question without all the pertinent facts? Its your life...figure it out. We're all just characters on a message board.
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
Eaglebauer
Elwood

Post by Eaglebauer »

Jack wrote:I don't have to worry about rent or mortgage in California... They will put me up in an efficiency apartment.

as far as upward mobility...it's an Army job. I will do alright..

As far as getting things down on paper..It's the government..(From the people that brought you.. we're from the government and we are here to help..)

My job will be to oversee the medical care of Reservists and National Guardsmen form California that have been mobilized due to current operations.. I have the choice of declining this because I just got off of 2 years involuntary mobilization.

My major dilemma in this is leaving my teenage sons during the tough year(s). My orders are good for 1 year at a time. When I come off orders, I can always get a job just not at the same rate of pay and not one that means as much to me. I enjoy taking care of soldiers and making sure they get the best medical care possible. I also enjoy being a father and teaching my sons how to deal with life...
Will you be paid to sit on your butt and post on message boards all day?

And does mvscal know they've offered you his job?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

jtr wrote:Riverside is almost the O.C. your kids would love it.
Almost the OC, except there's no beach there
and it's about 25 degrees hotter in the summer.

Almost the OC.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

jtr is an idiot.

That's like saying Barstow is almost La Jolla.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Garden Grove is the OC. Your car insurer will love you.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Eaglebauer wrote:And does mvscal know they've offered you his job?
How'd you make this leap? I don't recall him saying anything about having to post Republican talking points all day. :lol:
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Risa wrote:Also, there's more to life than a salary, particularly if a salary increase comes with a substantial increase in the cost of living.
This is true. I took a major paycut to move intot he boonies in Southern Indiana. I go to dice.com from time to time and see all the cash I could be making living in the city like I was doing when living in Dallas. Got a kid now though and having family around is more important to me than living large(er). I do well now, not as well as I would do in the big city, but enough to live a good life.

quality of life > quantity of salary

Good luck.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Rack indyfrisco.

Oh, and I'd do his hot-assed wife for a sixteenth of my salary and a case of Mild.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.