It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

tough love
Agondonter

Remember This Guy?

Post by tough love »

Guite links Martin, others to sponsorship program

CTV.ca News Staff

The Prime Minister's Office is denying testimony by former bureaucrat Chuck Guite linking Paul Martin to an alleged plan to guarantee government business for a Liberal-friendly ad firm.

PMO spokesman Scott Reid is calling the testimony third-hand and false.

"The prime minister has never involved himself in the contracting process," Reid said.

Guite's testimony, which was given over the past week, became public Wednesday when the sponsorship inquiry's Justice John Gomery lifted his publication ban.

A Quebec Superior Court judge overseeing Guite's criminal trial also lifted his ban, and agreed to delay the trial until September.

Guite's testimony in a previous appearance before the Gomery inquiry was not as detailed, nor were his two appearances at the Commons Public Accounts committee last year.

This time, Guite testified that back in 2000, he was told that then-finance minister Paul Martin had intervened to ensure a Liberal-friendly ad firm wouldn't lose its lucrative contracts with the federal sponsorship program.

Guite had already left the civil service by then, and was lobbying the government on behalf of the Toronto-based advertising agency Vickers and Benson Ltd.

Hoping to secure the future of his firm's ad contracts with Ottawa, Guite said he had lunch with his former boss, Public Works Minister Alfonso Gagliano.

"He said he'd look after it," Guite told the commission.

A week later, Guite says he got a call from Gagliano's chief of staff, Pierre Tremblay.

"The minister had spoken with both ministers and the volume of business would be maintained," Guite testified. He claimed he was assured Vicker's contracts with two federal departments -- Industry under John Manley and Finance under Paul Martin -- were safe.

Tremblay died last year before he could testify.

Martin and Manley have issued statements denying the allegations.

The Prime Minister's Office issued this statment: ''There was never a discussion between Mr. Martin and Mr. Gagliano with respect to ensuring that any individual supplier receive contracts from the government of Canada. The prime minister never involved himself in the contracting process -- he never involved himself in the determination of contract awards. Period."

Manley issued a statement saying that as a cabinet minister, "I made it a matter of practice to rely on the advice of my Deputy Minister and his officials on operational matters."

Manley concluded by saying: "The evidence does not show any improper conduct by me, and I am deeply concerned that my reputation be harmed by these suggestions."

Gagliano, speaking to a Toronto-based Italian newspaper, also denied Guite's account.

Chretien and Corriveau

Guite also claimed ad contracts were routinely handed out to reward ad agencies that did election work for the Liberals.

"It was politically driven," he said, explaining that he was constantly being told to help out the party's friends, such as ad executive Jacques Corriveau.

Accused of exploiting a personal relationship with former prime minister Jean Chretien, Corriveau has denied the two were close.

But in his testimony, Guite said that in 1994, then-public works minister David Dingwall told him a different story.

"If you ever meet someone in bed between Jean Chretien and his wife, it'll be Corriveau," recalling Dingwall's remarks. "His comment was, you'll look after him."

Guite even suggested Chretien's wife wielded influence over the sponsorship program, saying that Aline Chretien chose some of the promotional items purchased by the government. Guite said she pointed out her favourite watch, that he promptly ordered.

Besides his sensational allegations, Guite also admitted breaking a lot of rules.

Despite a contract stipulation that he could not profit from government contracts in the first year after he left the civil service, Guite says Vickers paid him $100,000 to lobby his former boss.

"There are different ways to skin the cat," he told the commission, explaining how he advised the company on ways to skirt the rules.

Credibility challenged

Lawyers who cross-examined Guite questioned his credibility. When asked why he should be believed, Guite simply shrugged.

Despite the seriousness of Guite's allegations, CTV reporter Jed Kahane says the embattled Liberals might find one "saving grace" in his testimony.

"Guite says the system was even more political when the Conservatives were in power," Kahane said.

Liberal promises to change that, Guite said, wound up producing new ways in which the government could look after its friends.

Alongside Groupaction Marketing founder Jean Brault, Guite is facing trial on six fraud-related counts arising from sponsorship deals.

Jury selection in their trial was slated to get underway in June, but lawyers have won their bid to delay the trial until September.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories
The Prime Minister's Office is denying testimony by former bureaucrat Chuck Guite linking Paul Martin to an alleged plan to guarantee government business for a Liberal-friendly ad firm.
Of course they are. :meds:
Manley concluded by saying: "The evidence does not show any improper conduct by me, and I am deeply concerned that my reputation be harmed by these suggestions."
No shit. :lol:

The Question Is:
Do The People (Victims) of Canada believe the crook who has nothing to lose, or the crooks who have everything to lose?

New Canada Will Never Forget...Rock On Harper
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

This story is one year old.

You might want to hit the RELOAD tab on your browser once in a while.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Martyred wrote:This story is one year old.

You might want to hit the RELOAD tab on your browser once in a while.
Guite links Martin, others to sponsorship program
Updated Thu. May. 5 2005 12:39 PM ET
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

Well really, Martin/Chretien were no where near as crooked as Mulroney and Harper will be the same.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

New Canada Will Never Forget.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So Canadian; tell me just how much corruption is too much corruption for you to not go into meaningless comparison mode???
One would think that it would be advantageous for a New Degenerate Panty Wearer to play on The PigMartin$ Sins, did you forget your place?

You could always ask Jess for some acting lessons, 'Bra :wink:
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

tough love wrote:
New Canada Will Never Forget.

So Canadian; tell me just how much corruption is too much corruption for you to not go into meaningless comparison mode???
One would think that it would be advantageous for a New Degenerate Panty Wearer to play on The PigMartin$ Sins, did you forget your place?

You could always ask Jess for some acting lessons, 'Bra :wink:
?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Just for you, Otis. :wink:

That even a retard would get

One would think that it would be advantageous for a New Degenerate Panty Wearer to play on The PigMartin$ Sins,

NDP supporters should enjoy feasting on the bleeding liberal festering$.
Anything that would make a "different" poop_party look bad in the eyes of the public is a good thing.
Or one would think so, which brings us to

did you forget your place?
You could always ask Jess for some acting lessons, 'Bra

You slipped up, Snaf.
C is supposed to be your NDP troll, not another bleeding lib-tard troll like the rest of your collective.
Jess, being our resident thespian, he could prolly help you with the playing your roles, staying in character, etc.

Your welcome. :)
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

tough love wrote:Just for you, Otis. :wink:

That even a retard would get

One would think that it would be advantageous for a New Degenerate Panty Wearer to play on The PigMartin$ Sins,

NDP supporters should enjoy feasting on the bleeding liberal festering$.
Anything that would make a "different" poop_party look bad in the eyes of the public is a good thing.
Or one would think so, which brings us to

did you forget your place?
You could always ask Jess for some acting lessons, 'Bra

You slipped up, Snaf.
C is supposed to be your NDP troll, not another bleeding lib-tard troll like the rest of your collective.
Jess, being our resident thespian, he could prolly help you with the playing your roles, staying in character, etc.

Your welcome. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tina, if you only knew just how many people were laughing at you and your paranoia...

I'll give you a hint, it's more than 3 people.

Keep on kicking your own ass..
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Tina, if you only knew just how many people were laughing at you and your paranoia...

And not only on this board, right. :wink:

Gotta wonder if your Tude_Tard_Pards would be laughing if they knew that they were being over trolled by a desperate individual who knows no shame, and who, if he were to kick his own ass would need at least 6 feet.

:lol:

So, how's the Guite Libby Ad_Scam trial going?

Google News Today:
Tales of corruption at Guité trial
CBC Montreal, Canada - 16 hours ago
... agency. Alain Richard made the comment on Thursday to jurors at the fraud trial of former federal civil servant Chuck Guité. Richard ...
Former ad man testifies at Guité trial Toronto Star
PMO directed work to firm, jury hears Globe and Mail
Chrétien PMO pushed contracts, trial told Toronto Star
Canada.com - Ottawa Sun - all 33 related »

Ottawa Citizen Guite trial bogged down with contract details
CTV.ca, Canada - 16 May 2006
MONTREAL -- Jurors expressed confusion Tuesday as Chuck Guite's fraud trial bogged down in the minute details of government contracting. ...
Jurors plead for help clearing up confusion at Chuck Guite trial Canada.com
Minutiae of government contracts boggle Guité jurors Globe and Mail
Jurors seek clarity of Guite case details Calgary Sun
all 18 related »

fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

tough love wrote:

And not only on this board, right. :wink:

Gotta wonder if your Tude_Tard_Pards would be laughing if they knew that they were being over trolled by a desperate individual who knows no shame, and who, if he were to kick his own ass would need at least 6 feet.

:lol:
That's right Tina, not only on this board...

:lol: :lol:
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Hummm...What's that link do???
Prolly leads to another collective that are to dumb to know when they are being played.

You need to give your Demons a rest, Legion. :twisted:
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

tough love wrote:Hummm...What's that link do???
Prolly leads to another collective that are to dumb to know when they are being played.

You need to give your Demons a rest, Legion. :twisted:
Poor poor Tina..

Paranoid and clueless is no way for someone to go through life.

Seek help Tina...