They Breed them bloody tough in Tassie!!

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

They Breed them bloody tough in Tassie!!

Post by missjo »

The feeling watching these two guys walk out of the mine after being trapped almost a Km underground for 2 weeks is just indescribable
especially as the cage they were trapped in underground was only about 1.5 x 1.5 meters!

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story ... 21,00.html
Trapped miners walk to freedom

May 09, 2006
TASMANIAN miners Todd Russell and Brant Webb have emerged from the Beaconsfield mine.

They clocked out, then walked straight into the arms of their families to the cheers of waiting crowds today.

The pair walked out at 5.59am (AEST), about an hour after rescuers pulled them from their underground prison.

Crowds cheered and sirens wailed as the men smiled, then a scrum of family, rescuers and workmates suurounded them.

In fluoro jackets and with miners hardhats, headlights shining, the men walked freely among the crowd inside the mine site compound.

They shook hands, waved to people and gave thanks.

Mr Russell and Mr Webb then entered separate ambulances at 6.05am (AEST), still smiling and waving, for the 40 minute journey to Launceston Hospital. Their children jumped into the vehicles to hug their fathers.

Then, as the ambulances left the site, followed by minivans carrying their families, the convoy was cheered by crowds of people who formed an honour guard.

Todd Russell's brother-in-law Allan Bennett was at the top of the mine to greet his relative and friend.

"It's what dreams are made of, mate," he later said.

"I said 'a miracle' to start with, that's all I could think of, and 'it's what dreams are made of'.

Mr Bennett said he would attend the funeral in Launceston today of Larry Knight, 44, who died in the mine rockfall that first trapped the men.

"Don't forget Larry and the other 14 men (who escaped the April 25 rockfall)," he said.

"They're all one, that's how it works," a crying Mr Bennett said.

Another teary onlooker, Diane Alexander, said: "The elation is unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.

"The whole spirit of this community is tremendous."

Local Vivienne King, a Salvation Army volunteer, said the freed miners looked "really, really" good, considering their long confinement.

"It's amazing. It's just a miracle, an absolute miracle.

"It's hard to believe two weeks have passed.

The pair may only spend an hour in hospital before being allowed home.

"They will come in and they will be assessed in the emergency department," Launceston Hospital chief executive Stephen Ayre said on Channel 7.

"They are in very good physical shape (and) we believe they will only be here a minimal amount of time."

News of the rescue success came about 5am (AEST).

"Both Brant and Todd are out of the tunnel and well," mine manager Matthew Gill said.

Australian Workers Union national secretary Bill Shorten said: "Today we've had unbelievable news. After 14 nights at 4.47am, Brant Webb and 4.54am Todd Russell, were freed.

"This is an amazing day, the rescuers have done a fantastic job. The families have been fantastic. And clearly these two men have been outstanding Australians. It's a great day."

A bell at Beaconsfield's Uniting Church pealed in celebration as the news broke, and residents started to make their way to the mine site.

Meanwhile, the two miners were given a full medical check underground.

Mine management spokesman Michael Lester said: "Both of them have been reported to be in very good health considering where they are."

Tasmania's Deputy Premier Bryan Green said the men had been assessed at a category three health level. Category four is normal health.

"With respect to their physical health, I don't think too long at all (before they are back to normal) but I think they'll have to work through a number of emotions as a result of their rescue," he said.

One of Mr Russell's mates, Gavin Purcell, said his head was "just spinning at the moment".

"I can't wait for the boys to get out. It's been a long time.

"I'll be speechless when I see him (Todd). I'll probably be full of tears," the tug boat worker said.

Mr Russell and Mr Webb had been trapped almost 1km underground at Tasmania's Beaconsfield Gold Mine since a rockfall triggered by an earth tremor on April 25.

They were found alive on April 30 and rescuers have been slowly and painstakingly tunnelling towards them ever since.

Last night marked their 14th night trapped in a work cage.

Their workmate Larry Knight was killed in the rockfall. His funeral will be held in Launceston this afternoon.

West Tamar Mayor Barry Easther said it was a time of mixed emotion for the community because of Mr Knight's funeral.

"It's a sad but exciting time to have these two lads brought back to surface, dream come true.

"It's an amazing thing was that they're in such good health.

"How they've held it together all this time I don't know.

"Rescue workers working in such confined spaces were a magnificent group of people.

"It brought home just how close-knit the mining community are," Mr Easther said.
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

rack all miners !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

Rescued miner on his way to well deserved R&R. What Wolfman said.
chargerfan
Elwood

Post by chargerfan »

2 weeks stuck down there. I'm no mathematician but that's gotta be shitload of overtime.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

missjo wrote:{A}fter... 2weeks.... They clocked out...
chargerfan wrote:2 weeks stuck down there. I'm no mathematician but that's gotta be shitload of overtime.
Rack!

Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie!
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Jo, I saw the tape of them meeting their families up top. "Happy" didn't look like anywhere near a strong enough word to describe it. Thank God they're out alive and (apparently) well, and RACK the rescue workers. Excellent work.

Crack tubes!
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

One: RACK the crap outta those guys.

Two: Attn Lazyasses-> Notice how jojo thoughtfully added the story to the link.

Three:
rack all miners !!
Where is the Jacko Pic?
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

You've got to be a dumb motherfucker to crawl down in a mine. Let a fucking CEO go down there. Maybe then the mines will be safe.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Sudden Sam wrote:
BSmack wrote:You've got to be a dumb motherfucker to crawl down in a mine. Let a fucking CEO go down there. Maybe then the mines will be safe.
Yeah, right. And rich folks' and politicians' kids are gonna see action in the military. :meds:
Prolly not. That's why you've got to be either dumb or desperate to work in a mine.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:You've got to be a dumb motherfucker to crawl down in a mine. Let a fucking CEO go down there. Maybe then the mines will be safe.
Working in a mine is never going to be safe, you retarded braindead fuck.
No shit. That's why I fail to understand the racks people are giving to these guys. If the only jobs where you live are mining jobs, you need to be getting your ass somewhere else.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:Fortunately not everyone is as much of a sniveling pussy as you are.
Yea, working in shitty conditions for 1/10 or less of what your bosses get paid makes you a "real man". :meds:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

BSmack, what do you do for a living that is so much better?

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WhatsMyName wrote:BSmack, what do you do for a living that is so much better?
Though shoveling shit would be better than mining, I'm a systems engineer for a printer manufacturer.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Some Damn Retard
Elwood

Post by Some Damn Retard »

BSmack wrote:
mvscal wrote:Fortunately not everyone is as much of a sniveling pussy as you are.
Yea, working in shitty conditions for 1/10 or less of what your bosses get paid makes you a "real man". :meds:
It's called making decisions. Life is never easy, nor fair. These guys are doing what they have to do to provide for themselves and their families. They're not whining about being handed health insurance from the government, they are earning it. If someone isn't willing to earn their benefits, they do not deserve to have it paid for by those that are.
A BILL to Regulate the Hunting and Harvesting of Attorneys PC 370.00:

370.02. Bag Limits per day: yellow-bellied sidewinders 2 two-faced tortfeasors 1
back-stabbing divorce litigators 3 horn-rimmed cut-throats 2 minutiae-advocating vultures 4 honest attorneys protected (endangered species)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Some Damn Retard wrote:It's called making decisions. Life is never easy, nor fair. These guys are doing what they have to do to provide for themselves and their families. They're not whining about being handed health insurance from the government, they are earning it. If someone isn't willing to earn their benefits, they do not deserve to have it paid for by those that are.
You can do all of the above without crawling into a mine. If you are a miner, you are not very bright.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Many miners in this country are perfectly happy in their jobs, perfectly happy with where they live, and the life they are providing for their families. Everyone here - yes, even a systems engineer in Rochester, NY - better throw them a rack when they flip a light switch or plug in a computer.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

PSUFAN wrote:Many miners in this country are perfectly happy in their jobs, perfectly happy with where they live, and the life they are providing for their families. Everyone here - yes, even a systems engineer in Rochester, NY - better throw them a rack when they flip a light switch or plug in a computer.
Good take, PSUFAN.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

BSmack wrote:
Yea, working in shitty conditions for 1/10 or less of what your bosses get paid makes you a "real man".
So does taking a bullet to pad Bu$h Corp and Fiends' Bank Accounts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:Many miners in this country are perfectly happy in their jobs, perfectly happy with where they live, and the life they are providing for their families.
I seriously fucking doubt it. Cave ins, black lung and explosions are no way to go through life.
Everyone here - yes, even a systems engineer in Rochester, NY - better throw them a rack when they flip a light switch or plug in a computer.
Is this the part in the Lifetime Special where we all sit down and cry?

Here's the reality. The average mine worker makes less than I do and risks his life a hell of a lot more often for that money. That is just plain stupid.

PS: Just saw TL's post and need to extend a RACK.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

BSmack,

How do you have the gall to attack someone for what they do for a living?

From where I sit... it seems that your job isn't very challenging or fulfilling(unless you feel...posting on a message board all day is).
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

m2 wrote:BSmack,

How do you have the gall to attack someone for what they do for a living?

From where I sit... it seems that your job isn't very challenging or fulfilling(unless you feel...posting on a message board all day is).
Chimeboy says what?

Here's the deal. They can do whatever the hell they want to do. But don't expect me to be racking them for doing it. It's not like police or firemen who risk their lives so that others might live. These guys are risking their asses for a paycheck smaller than even the average US hosehold income so that you and I can have cheap coal?

If I were them I would have said to hell with it a long time ago and found something more profitable.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

BSmack wrote:If I were them I would have said to hell with it a long time ago and found something more profitable.
Well, I guess you're better than them.

As a person... that would be questionable.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

m2 wrote:
BSmack wrote:If I were them I would have said to hell with it a long time ago and found something more profitable.

I'm sure their children will feel much better knowing their daddy died young so that we could have coal. What a moral thing to do.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote: smaller than even the average US hosehold

Sounds like a personal problem.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I seriously fucking doubt it. Cave ins, black lung and explosions are no way to go through life.
Yes, mining is dangerous, but not nearly as much as it once was. Sure, there are some well-publicized accidents, but considering the fact that mining is happening 24-7-365, the accidents aren't numerous.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:Yes, mining is dangerous, but not nearly as much as it once was. Sure, there are some well-publicized accidents, but considering the fact that mining is happening 24-7-365, the accidents aren't numerous.
I'm sure that things are a lot better than they were even 20 years ago. That being said, when someones PC blows up, causing a cave in that traps themselves and 5 of their co-workers underground for a couple of weeks, that will be the day I'll back away from the keyboards.

Save the emails clones, I'm not reading them.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
WhatsMyName
Elwood

Post by WhatsMyName »

The average miner doesn't make what the average American makes, in fact it's closer to double. Just sayin'.

Jake is out. Jay is in. Finally.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

WhatsMyName wrote: Just sayin'.
I noticed you weren't Just Linkin'.

50k is not 'closer to' twice 40k.

Lie. Lie. Lie. Is that all you do?
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Rack the miners,

Rack PSU

And fuck off Bsmack what kind of steelers fan isnt supportive of mining?
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

WhatsMyName wrote:The average miner doesn't make what the average American makes, in fact it's closer to double. Just sayin'.
These days, mining isn't just going down in a coal car and hacking at a wall with a pickaxe. Just sayin'.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WhatsMyName wrote:The average miner doesn't make what the average American makes, in fact it's closer to double. Just sayin'.
Not exactly. When you break it out by job title, you see a much different story.
For example, the average continuous mining machine operator in West Virginia earns $38,370 per year, according to November 2004 information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. That's a higher average annual salary than what a similar worker would earn in any of West Virginia's neighboring states, which pay between $29,000 in Pennsylvania to $36,060 in Kentucky. The average pay in West Virginia is also higher than the national average of $36,210 per year.
Ad

But not all sectors of the energy market pay so much more in West Virginia than elsewhere. For example, the average annual income for a mining engineer in West Virginia is $59,600. That's lower than the national average of $66,140, and lower than the $70,760 that the average mining engineer earns in Virginia. But the Mountain State's wages are slightly higher than what a person working a similar job in North Carolina would earn.

And regardless of state, the average explosive worker earns between $33,230 and $41,160 per year. In West Virginia, the average salary for that job is $37,880.

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?f ... oryid=7516
And, if you go to that U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics page, mining machine operators nationwide average 20 dollars an hour with an average work week of 40 hours. And people classified as "miners" average 26 dollars an hour. My guess is that this includes supervisors and or engineers along with laborers. Because in no other field on earth is a skilled machine operator paid less than a shovel man.

Long story short, your fantasy about miners averaging 80k is just that; a fantasy.

http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ocs/sp/ncbl0727.pdf

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Not that BSmack needs my support, nor like most here would even welcome it, I still must give him huge 'Props for displaying a whole lot more empathy for the plight of all Miners than does the likes of glib 'wiz bang RACK you man' now get back into your holes.

Keep up the good fight, 'Bro.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

BSmack wrote:
m2 wrote:

I'm sure their children will feel much better knowing their daddy died young so that we could have coal. What a moral thing to do.
What a completely senseless take. Said children like taking cold milk out of the fridge, don't they? Electric light has been a real boon for their education, correct? Perhaps the powering of all of their appliances, their food, and their illumination is regarded as dispensable?

Is there an occupation that benefits everyday life more visibly than mining?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:So what's the problem?
Apparently there are some who think I should be giving these guys props because they risk their lives for very average money.
PSUFAN wrote:What a completely senseless take. Said children like taking cold milk out of the fridge, don't they? Electric light has been a real boon for their education, correct? Perhaps the powering of all of their appliances, their food, and their illumination is regarded as dispensable?

Is there an occupation that benefits everyday life more visibly than mining?
Police and fireman come to mind. Doctors, nurses....

Buller? Buller?

But the point is that miners risk their asses for comparatively little money. That is not smart. If more of them said to hell with it and went to college instead, then maybe the wages would go up to the point where it might justify the risk. At least the occupations that are more dangerous than mining offer significantly higher levels of pay to go with the risk.

http://www.forbes.com/2002/09/03/0903worksafe.html

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Is there an occupation that benefits everyday life more visibly than mining?
Oil production and refining?
If we’re talking about benefiting everyday life visibly, I’d go with strippers.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim