Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Remember when...

Post by Mikey »

Cuervo Gold used to be the shiznit?
The cuervo gold
The fine columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing
A guest left a bottle of this stuff last weekend, and I can hardly choke the shit down. Don't get me wrong, I like tequila (very very very much), but I guess my taste has become somewhat more refined since 1980 or so.

WAR Patron Silver
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

Cuervo Gold.

I've never really cared for Tequila. I was in this little golf tournament about 10 years ago, and they gave each player a little brown paper bag worth of goodies on the first hole. In my bag, I got a new Titleist, some tees, a 10 buck off coupon and one of those airline sized minature bottles of Tequila.

Around the 5th hole, my group decides we should all take our "shots" of booze before we tee off. Others had Canadian Whiskey, Vodka or Gin...but I had Tequila.

I tossed it down, and immediately I was in trouble. Small frothy explosions erupted in my gut, and I had one of those garlicy booze air belches that produced no relief. I started to salivate, and by the time I had staggered past the far outside tee marker I had projectile puked into the small innocent begonias that lined the tee box. I heard laughter, but I continued to march further into the brush to avoid any further embarassment.

I told the others to go ahead and hit as I just wasn't ready to play this par 3 yet. Finally, I muster up enough grit to get the tee into the ground and the ball teed up when round two of the Mt. Luth eruption started. A good 5 minutes passed, and then I was ready to hit.

I stuck it about 3 feet from the pin. As I marched toward the green I tried to force-munch down about a fistful of Tumms...only to easily two put for a par.

I don't think I've had any Tequila since.

Rip City
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Cuervo Gold is good shit.

Padron is my fav though.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Cicero wrote:Cuervo Gold is good shit.

Padron is my fav though.
Cuervo gold ain't even tequila.
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Post by Fat Bones »

Luth,
Tequila rests MUCH better after refrigeration.

sayin'.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

I've consumed some awful booze in my day - Southern Comfort, Old Crow (still a fraternity tradition just b/c of the name), lower-level Scotches, etc., but tequila has a special kind of bad taste all its own.

The shit tastes like WD-40, and the maggot (if it has legs, it ain't a worm) that they embalm in some bottles isn't exactly a selling point.

To this Scotch-drinker, any booze that requires an elaborate ritual to minimize its taste (salt licking and lemon sucking) and considers insect larvae a mark of distinction deserves its distinction of a college-years-only experience.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

concur--
I'd just as soon drink hair tonic--
and thanks for the entomology take---

it is NOT a WORM !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

last decent ta kill ya i had was cuervo 1800, i think. is that up the food chain from gold? it was better than the usual bottom shelf stuff the bars push when you are drunk with your friends and decide to do a shot of the wretched stuff.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

I used to be able to drink tequilla like water in my younger days. Sauza (?) Commemorativo was decent.

Then I started drinking bourbon. Tried doing a tequilla shot once after several years of Beam sippin under my belt and almost hurled. I can still drink margaritas on the rocks, but it takes some serious willpower to do tequilla shots these days without barfing. And no way in hell it's happening if I'm reading this board and an IB post comes up.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You guys who think all tequila is rotgut have never tried this stuff:

It's a little expensive, but you wouldn't even think it was tequila if what you're used to is cuervo.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote: and the maggot
Hey science guy isn't it only a maggot if it is the larva of a Diptera (or possibly a Hymenoptera) when the 'worm' in mescal (not tequila) is from a Lepidoptera?

BTW- If you are going to drink ta-kill-ya, drink this... Image
Last edited by Moving Sale on Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taint
Elwood

Post by Taint »

Odd how the word maggot will bring out a lawyer.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Moving Sale wrote:Hey science guy isn't it only a maggot if it is the larva of a Diptera (or possibly a Hymenoptera) when the 'worm' in mescal (not tequila) is from a Lepidoptera?
Correct you are. I was tossing the term "maggot" out there not as a scientifically accurate way, but as a general term for disgusting, grublike, proto-insect, nasty-ass critters.

I remember one fraternity after-hours party where a couple of the baked-and-drunk out of their mind guys argued over who was going to get the "worm."

The brilliant decision tossed out by one hippy-chick was for them to split it. She got a saucer and a fork.

The wasted freaks plunked down that saucer, tossed the grub on it, and then proceeded to try to cut the damned thing in half with the edge of a fork. The grub wound up sliding all over the plate as they applied a "sawing" pressure on it. They finally got it ripped in half, each snagged a piece, and slurped their hemi-carcass down.

At 4 am, after a night of college-style hardcore partying, it was pretty much the last thing I needed to see while trying to eat a slice of pizza.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The stuff with the worm in it is called mezcal...

...and no he doesn't post here.