NCAA is on drugs

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

NCAA is on drugs

Post by Adelpiero »

Tenn with a #2 seed :meds: Gonzaga gets a #3 seed :meds:

Bucknell gets a 9 seed, yet they lost to MVC teams, and the MVC teams are #11 and #12 seeds :meds: :meds: :meds: UNC wilmington got a #9 seed!

Indiana with a seed higher than 9, nigga please. these guys need to give it up!

Find an unbiased group to pick teams.

I have no problem with low numbers for ACC, Big12, Pac10. But SEC should not be getting 6 teams.

Tenn got a fuckin #2 seed :meds:
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Air Force!???

Please
Those who stay will be champions.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Re: NCAA is on drugs

Post by The Seer »

Adelpiero wrote:Tenn with a #2 seed :meds: Gonzaga gets a #3 seed :meds:

Bucknell gets a 9 seed, yet they lost to MVC teams, and the MVC teams are #11 and #12 seeds :meds: :meds: :meds: UNC wilmington got a #9 seed!

Indiana with a seed higher than 9, nigga please. these guys need to give it up!

Find an unbiased group to pick teams.

I have no problem with low numbers for ACC, Big12, Pac10. But SEC should not be getting 6 teams.

Tenn got a fuckin #2 seed :meds:

Some valid arguments, but fortunately, it all comes out in the wash....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Agree that UT with a 2 is crazy at best.

The Zags as a 3 is IMO exactly where they should have been.

Bucknell as a 9 is high.

UNC-W is a legit 9 seed, they are good.

IU was a 7/8 seed in my mind coming into today so a 6 is very surprising.

The REAL gripes are with some teams getting hosed on their seed and locations.

BC as a 4 is silly and to top it off they send them to play out West where they open with a Western team and would play another Western team should they advance.

Same with Illinois who should be higher than a 4 and shouldn't be playing Western teams out West.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Let me also add GW down to an 8 seed, pathetic. They are a 5 seed at worst.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Believe the Heupel wrote:OU getting a 6 is a gift, but don't be surprised if UWM wins that game. OU has guards that are flat-out terrible against pressure.
Yep.

I wouldn't be surprised if UWM wins by double digits. Not saying it's going to happen ... just that it's definitely in the realm of possibilities, especially given that team's experience from last year.

And the NCAA is on drugs. Duke as the "top" No. 1 seed?

Christ, Jim Nance and Mike Patrick must have been lobbying the committee. Oh well, at least Nance will hopfully have an aneurysm if Duke and Syracuse end up playing each other. That's always a win-win scenario, so I'll give the committee lone props for that.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

RadioFan wrote:
Believe the Heupel wrote:OU getting a 6 is a gift, but don't be surprised if UWM wins that game. OU has guards that are flat-out terrible against pressure.
Yep.

I wouldn't be surprised if UWM wins by double digits. Not saying it's going to happen ... just that it's definitely in the realm of possibilities, especially given that team's experience from last year.

And the NCAA is on drugs. Duke as the "top" No. 1 seed?

Christ, Jim Nance and Mike Patrick must have been lobbying the committee. Oh well, at least Nance will hopfully have an aneurysm if Duke and Syracuse end up playing each other. That's always a win-win scenario, so I'll give the committee lone props for that.
Who else should have the top #1 seed? UConn & Nova both lost and Memphis had a lower RPI and didn't play the same level of opponents as Duke did this week. It was the legit choice.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Re: NCAA is on drugs

Post by Bizzarofelice »

The Seer wrote:Some valid arguments, but fortunately, it all comes out in the wash....
Inevitably, yes. But for a mid-major to get an insane low ranking and thusly paired with a high ranked team leads to the likely first round loss and reinforces the "big schools rule" mentality. Give a better seeding, even make them an 8 or 9 and let them get to the second round.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

I'm surprised the committee didn't put UNC in Greensboro. It used to be that either Duke or UNC would get two home games to start off the tournament. The conversion to the pod system enabled both of them to benefit in the same year.

Watching Nantz and Packer going kcwife on the tourney chair last night was funny, especially Nantz cutting the dude off in the middle of his last canned answer.

Gonzaga is not a #2. They struggled at home against teams that are FAR worse than Xavier, the 'Zags first rd. opponent.

I don't like seeing Pitt in KU's draw.

edit: Oh, and how does Villanova get to play on their home floor?!?
Last edited by Degenerate on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Shine wrote:Let me also add GW down to an 8 seed, pathetic. They are a 5 seed at worst.
You must have seen different GDub games. GDub = 1st round loss. Overrated.

Pitt doesn't like seeing KU in their draw. It may have been a good day for Gayhawk fan, but God evened all that out by tearing up the hill campus.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Pitt doesn't like seeing KU in their draw.
:? :lol: :?

Any team with good senior guard play is not a team i want to see early on.
Bizzarofelice wrote:It may have been a good day for Gayhawk fan, but God evened all that out by tearing up the hill campus.
You better hope it didn't touch the Bottleneck, or else you'll have to drive to Chicago to see decent music from now on.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Deg wrote:You better hope it didn't touch the Bottleneck, or else you'll have to drive to Chicago to see decent music from now on.
Old man don't drive 5 hours for shows. He just complains about no good shows being booked in St. Louis.

When I was in Columbia I use to issue the Bottleneck for follow-up shows. I think I drove out there for Sebadoh, Coctails, Built To Spill and Man or Astroman, amongst others. I remember the Construction themed pinball they had at the time. Also saw Pharcyde and Stereolab at some larger venue on the main drag. I've noticed that

Watched that KU/Texas game and loved what the Gayhawks did to Tucker. I pray that Rush goes pro. He'd be a mid to late first rounder. I can deal with the Gayhawks beating the Tigers sometimes, but I can't take a Missouri boy doing it. Next time I see Hansbrough, I will fight him.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

I don't like GW as Duke's 8 seed either, but they don't scare me.

Who else is going to be the overall #1? I figure it was between Duke, UConvict, and Villanova - and the conference tourney clinched it. Duke is first in RPI.

And the Wachovia Center is not Villanova's home floor. Nova plays home games on campus.
MSUFAN
Spineless Pussy

Post by MSUFAN »

BlindRef wrote:Air Force!???

Please
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Third NIT title impending?!
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

helmet wrote: And the Wachovia Center is not Villanova's home floor. Nova plays home games on campus.
Not all of them. 'Nova plays a fair amount of games downtown.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Tennessee getting a #2 seed is stretching it. I think Gonzaga could have gotten a #2, but seeing what conference they play in and to see how they struggled in their Conference Tourney, I think a #3 is justified. I think Boston College was deserving of a #3.

A lot of teams from big conferences got snubbed for some mid-majors. We will see how that works.

For teams like Cincinnati and Maryland who play in the Big East and the ACC, to go .500 in conference play and not make it in is pretty shitty. Buuut, every year a couple big schools get jobbed, and they didnt make a convincing enough case I guess.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Nova played three games in the Wachovia Center, which is definitely NOT downtown.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

GW should've had MSU's 6 or Nevada's 5. They had a great season but didn't deserve better than that because they didn't beat anyone outside the A10 (unless you count Maryland).
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

RadioFan wrote:And the NCAA is on drugs. Duke as the "top" No. 1 seed?

Actually, I gotta say that, moreso than any other top seed, Duke potentially got screwed on their draw.

As has already been pointed out, George Washington was seeded far too low at #8. And UNC-Wilmington is a legit #9 -- and if they pull off the first-round upset, the de facto home court advantage that either Duke or UNC gets seemingly every year goes away.

Consider the potential second-round matchups for each of the #1 seeds:

Duke: Winner of George Washington -- UNC-Wilmington
Memphis: Winner of Arkansas -- Bucknell
UConn: Winner of Kentucky -- UAB
Villanova: Winner of Arizona -- Wisconsin

Then ask yourself this question: if one of these teams were to get knocked out in the second round, which one is most likely? Not saying it's gonna happen, but I could see Duke as a second-round casualty this year.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

UNC-W won't turn the home court advantage around on Duke in Greensboro any more than GW. Maybe a couple more UNC-W fans will scalp tickets than GW fans. But otherwise, there will be a lot of Duke fans there - and everyone else in the coliseum will pull for the underdogs. They won't care if it's GW or UNC-W.

Besides that, Duke has played 4 games in the Greensboro Coliseum this year - they are very comfortable there.

And I think Arkansas-Memphis will be a hell of a game.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I think Duke got the potential toughest Round 32 game, but I think UConn has the toughest bracket.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

what's up with the floor in Greensboro--purple and teal? talk about major league ugly.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

One of the funny things is that this year, unlike many other years, I don't hear a whole lot of bitching about teams being left out. Crown mentioned FSU, Maryland and Cincinnati being snubbed on Mr. T's thread, but that's about all I've heard about it.

I suppose one could also make a case for Hofstra, as well as Creighton and Missouri State, at least in an isolated scenario. But the MVC already got four teams in. OTOH, the Selection Committee is supposed to take the top 34 teams for at-large bids without regard to conference affiliation.

Don't know if Cincinnati got caught in a numbers crunch, but for my money they deserved a bid ahead of Seton Hall.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.