RACK JR!!

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Hapday
Eternal Scobode

RACK JR!!

Post by Hapday »

I am sure his wrist will get slapped by the NHLPA any minute and he'll take it all back...
Roenick wants chance to vote on offers

TSN.ca Staff

2/4/2005

Philadelphia Flyers' star Jeremy Roenick told ESPN on Thursday that he thinks NHLers might be able to live with a salary cap and that the union should allow its membership to vote on any reasonable NHL offer.

That was just one of several revelations made by Roenick on Friday that could rattle the NHL lockout, which entered it's 142nd day on Friday.

Although Roenick said he would like to cast a ballot, he made it clear that the owners have yet to put forth anything worth voting on by the players.

"My personal opinion, I'm in favour of a vote," Roenick said. "I'm in favour of the players determining what they will do themselves. At some point, I do not want someone else making that decision for me. When I see where the game is going and I see the damage that's being done and what we could probably live with - I would like to have a vote, and I have expressed my opinions to the PA, and I've expressed my opinion to other people in the league."

"If that bone was thrown to us by the NHL, by the owners ... it should be up to the players and it should be taken to a vote. If that was the case, I think you might be seeing hockey by now."

Roenick also said that a cap might be acceptable under certain circumstances.

"I really feel that maybe we can survive with a cap," he told ESPN. "Maybe we can survive with a cap - one that's not at a ridiculous level such as what's being offered. I really feel that maybe if there was a bone thrown to us, one that was acceptable, one that the players could gnaw on a little bit, it (a cap) might be feasible.

"But we haven't even got that. We haven't even got anything close to something acceptable. I think a lot of players might want to play for a cap, but not for the cap that they're offering. That bone hasn't been thrown."

The NHL and NHLPA met for nine hours on Thursday and have another meeting planned for Friday. No details of what was discussed are being made public, but Roenick isn't holding out much hope.

"I really don't feel very optimistic," Roenick said. "I think they've really beaten a dead horse, and that dead horse right now is the NHL."

Should the lockout drag on, Roenick said he could see some players breaking ranks.

"When we keep going and going, and National Hockey League players are without paychecks, you're going to get a few who are out there, maybe third or fourth line guys that might (cross the picket line)," Roenick told ESPN. "They might say, 'We need a paycheck, we have to go play. For my own good, for my own well being, for my family.' They might be third or fourth line players who might be making a couple hundred thousand dollars playing in the league - those guys, you never know, they might cross."

Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

dig!!! and JR,don't drink the kool-aid.
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

He tried to cover his tracks with saying that NHL hasn't offered anything great :roll: but if he is feeling this way, I can guarantee you that not all of the NHLPA is drinking the kool-aid.
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
MotoGoalie
Elwood

Post by MotoGoalie »

This is a sign of the beginning of the end for the NHLPA. Welcome to the owners winning. But, at what cost?
mvscal wrote: Of course. The 'I was just trolling' card. The monotonously predictable last gasp of a plungered gimp as he swirls down the drain.
Sorry Spanky, you're on my hook.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Who cares?
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Mikey wrote:Who cares?
The fact that you're reading this forum suggests you do...
Still a FlameFan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

These guys will still make millions with a salary cap...they'll just have to go to other teams to get it. Detroit, Colorado and New York won't be able to stockpile high-priced stars...some of these guys will just have to venture to other teams. I don't know how this league can't go without a cap.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Did he pay his bookie???
Mustang
Don Cherry

Re: RACK JR!!

Post by Mustang »

Hapday wrote:I am sure his wrist will get slapped by the NHLPA any minute and he'll take it all back...

"If that bone was thrown to us by the NHL, by the owners ... it should be up to the players and it should be taken to a vote. If that was the case, I think you might be seeing hockey by now."

This is the key quote. If someone the stature of Roenick is caving, you can bet there are plenty more. About now, those big mortgages, car payments, and child support are starting to hurt.

One thing nobody has brought up is replacement players. The NFL owners did this back in '87 and before long, stadiums were filling and the union saw the writing on the wall. I know the NHL ain't the NFL, not even close, but I'm guessing the owners would rather wait it out and get the deal THEY want with the existing players, rather than create more bad will.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Adelpiero wrote:Did he pay his bookie???

Zing! :lol:
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

JD wrote:
Mikey wrote:Who cares?
The fact that you're reading this forum suggests you do...
Not really.

I'm just looking for a date.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Shoalzie wrote:These guys will still make millions with a salary cap...they'll just have to go to other teams to get it. Detroit, Colorado and New York won't be able to stockpile high-priced stars...some of these guys will just have to venture to other teams. I don't know how this league can't go without a cap.
Tell me again why anyone would want the Rangers players?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

BSmack wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:These guys will still make millions with a salary cap...they'll just have to go to other teams to get it. Detroit, Colorado and New York won't be able to stockpile high-priced stars...some of these guys will just have to venture to other teams. I don't know how this league can't go without a cap.

I'd take Bobby Holik but not at $9 million per season. Teams might take a flyer on Jagr if he wasn't making $11 million. The cap will hopefully end the practice of overpaying star players. With $40 million cap, you won't see a guy anywhere near $10 million. Hopefully $5 or 6 would be the most anyone makes. Also, I hope third and fourth line forwards aren't making more than $1 or $1.5 million.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Shoalzie wrote:
BSmack wrote:Tell me again why anyone would want the Rangers players?
I'd take Bobby Holik but not at $9 million per season. Teams might take a flyer on Jagr if he wasn't making $11 million. The cap will hopefully end the practice of overpaying star players. With $40 million cap, you won't see a guy anywhere near $10 million. Hopefully $5 or 6 would be the most anyone makes. Also, I hope third and fourth line forwards aren't making more than $1 or $1.5 million.
Take the whole freakin lot of them. The last time that bunch of horribly overpaid jakes made the playoffs was at the beginning of Clinton's second term. They are the Baltimore Orioles of hockey, constantly thowing sick amounts of jack at washed up has beens. I seriously would treat each and every one of those jakes like they had the fucking plague untill they proove otherwise.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote:They are the Baltimore Orioles of hockey
The Orioles are nowhere near as bad as the Rangers. If the NHL had the DH, the Rangers would be 5 DHs and Holik. All shitty free agent teams bow before the Rangers.
why is my neighborhood on fire
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

Shoalzie wrote:
BSmack wrote:

bingo,i also hope more scoring occurs by then...
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Destrofelice wrote:
BSmack wrote:They are the Baltimore Orioles of hockey
The Orioles are nowhere near as bad as the Rangers. If the NHL had the DH, the Rangers would be 5 DHs and Holik. All shitty free agent teams bow before the Rangers.
Fair enough. But we can agree that the O's are the closest comparision possible to the Rangers?
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote:Fair enough. But we can agree that the O's are the closest comparision possible to the Rangers?
take a look at the Mets track record.
why is my neighborhood on fire
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Destrofelice wrote:
BSmack wrote:Fair enough. But we can agree that the O's are the closest comparision possible to the Rangers?
take a look at the Mets track record.
Yea, they at least made the Series in 2000. Compared to the O's they are the fuckin 27 Yankees.