SI's :meds: All-Time Recruiting Busts

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

SI's :meds: All-Time Recruiting Busts

Post by Cicero »

Top 10

What a shit bag list. What did they grab all their writers and know it-alls and have them come up w/ a list in 20 min? You tellin me no one before 96 was a bust???? Kendra I will give them even though he did tear up his knee pretty bad. Curry I will give them too, but he also got hurt. Some of those other guys I barely remember and wouldnt even have though to be on that list. Lewis and Rouse? They havent proven themselves yet but they both have 3 years of eligibility left. They still have some time. These All-Time lists always suck.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Rouse is def. top ten on my list of NOLE busts. I don't care if he's Randy Moss clone and goes somewhere else to be succesfull. For us, he's a bust.
Tiberious
Resident Bookie

Post by Tiberious »

Ok, first off, that isnt even Kendra in the picture, it Daryl Bush, if I am not mistaken isnt Curry now in the NFL and he actually tore his achillies tendon. I dont remember anything about Ben Gay, C.J. Leak just never put it together, Berlin was pretty bad, but being names All Conference cant equal a bust, dont remember Houston, dont remember Craven, Summers in an idiot and couldnt lay off the bong, Lewis has three years of eligibilty left and cant be ruled a bust yet, Rouse is the same as Lewis, too early to tell. Nice list SI.
You know who I am.

Make the world a better place, punch Urban Meyer in the face.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Wow, no Longhorns? How could that be?
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Kelly Baraka :oops:
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

By far, Whitney Lewis is the biggest choke job in recent Trojan memory. Dude has two catches in two seasons...and was academically ineligible in another. Dude comes in as a WR and is now well over two bills.

You should see the bitches over on WeAreSC.com whining about him...that he's eventually going to pan out and just needs a chance.

:roll:
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

^^yeah like, everyone ahead of him on the depth chart is in the NFL now. Here's your chance kid.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Lewis is reportedly up to 225, out of shape and slower than fuck. Woudn't surprise me if the kid was AI for the fall. Again.

Feel sorry for the guy. He wanted FSU but his mom wouldn't let him go. He goes to SC and melts into oblivion. For shame.

All the same, the kid ain't going to recover. Just not gonna happen.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Slower than fuck? So you're saying I've got a shot?

Sin,
Maurice Clarett
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

WolverineSteve wrote:Kelly Baraka :oops:

Good call...went to high school in the area and was a local hero until the fallout. The funny thing was about year and a half ago, he was supposed to be in my political science class at KVCC. His name was read off in attendance for the first few weeks and he never showed up. Don't know what happened to him...weed is a helluva drug.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Hey USC fan do ya'll consider Todd Marajuannovich a bust? I remember some writer from SI saying that the team that got him would win multiple MNCs.

If you consider the amount of hype a kid got vs what he did you would have to say that Chris Simms was a bust. I would peg Marco Martin as a bigger disappointment than Pickryl. Pick actually made it on the field once or twice. Marco never even made it that far.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

didn't Pickryl get hurt? i remember him jumping offsides to close out the first half in 2002 (?)--and subsequent Hybl to Trent Smith pass that made the SI cover---a viscious spat of RRS irony.

Marcus Houston was not only an unqualified bust on the field (injury, too), but a real friggin' headache for the CU staff. and came in above criticism and local radio clowns had appointed him the next CEO of the world a la Shane Battier.

CU has never had good relations on a consistant basis with the Denver media, Denver Public League, African-American community etc....and Marcus is still a sore sport there. and I would suspect damages CU's Denver metro recruiting....even still.
Last edited by King Crimson on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiberious
Resident Bookie

Post by Tiberious »

Jarrad Jones was bust. Dude came to FSU with all this hype being from the same HS as Drew Bledsoe. He didnt do shit, got kicked off the team and melted away in the minor leagues.
You know who I am.

Make the world a better place, punch Urban Meyer in the face.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

The biggest problem I see with that list is that there's not anyone on it more than ten years out. You mean to tell me that until ten years ago, there weren't any recruiting busts? :meds: C'mon.

Then again, that's probably about the memory level of SI's readership, anyway.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Vito Corleone wrote:Todd Marajuannovich
Dude did win a Rose Bowl that USC shouldn't have.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:The biggest problem I see with that list is that there's not anyone on it more than ten years out. You mean to tell me that until ten years ago, there weren't any recruiting busts? :meds: C'mon.

Then again, that's probably about the memory level of SI's readership, anyway.
i had the same thought. it's also part of the generally disseminated idea that whatever happened most recently is *automatically* the best/worst EVER. ESPN, sports marketing (and politics to a lesser degree, perhaps) has a bad tendency to depend on needless and often baseless superlatives to interject themselves into any discussion about whatever.

a very good example of this, frankly, is if the Super Bowl is close on Sunday....it will generate this discussion: "Super Bowl LX, best ever?".

i just don't buy into the notion that ESPN or SI is the caretaker of everyone's historical sports memory--which as TiC says is prolly around 10 years to 25 years (the latter roughly coinsiding with the lifetime of ESPN).
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Cooper Rego, Mike McNair, Carlos Piere-Antoine, Willy Clark, Dean Lytle, and Mike McCullogh are a few of the huge busts I can think of for Notre Dame. One name that isn't, and should never be on that list is Ron Powlus.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I agree on Simms and think Berlin is also in that boat. Yeah he wasnt Danny Wuerffel, but he started at Miami for 2 years, won 2 bowl games and was 1st Team ALL-ACC. I dont think I would call that a bust.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

One thing that kills me is that the main reason some of these guys are even called busts is b/c the MEDIA went out of their way to shove him up our ass. When the guy doesnt perform as advertised then its the players fault and never the media for over-hyping the wrong guy.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Cicero wrote:One thing that kills me is that the main reason some of these guys are even called busts is b/c the MEDIA went out of their way to shove him up our ass. When the guy doesnt perform as advertised then its the players fault and never the media for over-hyping the wrong guy.
Rack. Great point. And the guy whose name should be on that list is Steve Shipp, #1 WR in '96 who signed with Florida. He of the 4.9 40 fame.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

why shouldnt USC have won that Rose Bowl? Cause it was Bo's last game?
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Todd Marijuanavich wasn't a bust. He won some significant games...I'd say he really busted after college. What a complete waste of a human life he's turned out to be. All thanks to that worthless POS father of his.

I agree on the media point. Kids today get far more visibility than they have at any other point in history.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Marinovich vs Maddox at the Rose Bowl, Todds soph year was an amazing game. Todd left after his soph year and that was one of those years that Washington just had an amazing squad
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

One name I think you could make a case for being on that list is Marcus Dupree. Can't believe I beat the OU crowd to the punch on that one, considering that: (a) it applies to one of their own; (b) they outnumber me by about a gazillion to one; and (c) most of them probably follow recruiting more closely than I do.

Dupree came out of high school same year I did, and IIRC was a top five recruit. He had a good freshman campaign, then withdrew from school after some sort of disagreement with someone during his sophomore year (again IIRC). He bounced around the USFL for a year or two, and I never heard of him afterward.

Dupree might not be Top 10 all-time, but he probably belongs on, at a minimum, high honorable mention of any serious discussion of the all-time biggest recruiting busts.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Killian wrote:Cooper Rego, Mike McNair, Carlos Piere-Antoine, Willy Clark, Dean Lytle, and Mike McCullogh are a few of the huge busts I can think of for Notre Dame. One name that isn't, and should never be on that list is Ron Powlus.
Having had the misfortune of watching him from the student section, I'd add Blair Kiel to that list as well. I find it extremely hard to believe that ND never had a better QB on campus than him until his senior year.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i thought about Dupree. he did really kick ass for about a year and a half. i don't think he was a bust as a recruit, but more as a D-1 player.

he was AS advertised. he busted a long one against Nebraska on a 3rd and 8....and everybody in the stadium knew what was coming.....that was just unreal.

Terry in Crapchester wrote:One name I think you could make a case for being on that list is Marcus Dupree. Can't believe I beat the OU crowd to the punch on that one, considering that: (a) it applies to one of their own; (b) they outnumber me by about a gazillion to one; and (c) most of them probably follow recruiting more closely than I do.

Dupree came out of high school same year I did, and IIRC was a top five recruit. He had a good freshman campaign, then withdrew from school after some sort of disagreement with someone during his sophomore year (again IIRC). He bounced around the USFL for a year or two, and I never heard of him afterward.

Dupree might not be Top 10 all-time, but he probably belongs on, at a minimum, high honorable mention of any serious discussion of the all-time biggest recruiting busts.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

As for FSU goes, one name that comes to mind is Dominic Robinson or D-Rob. He came in the '01 class and was a Parade AA Corner and one of the top corners coming out of HS. He said he was the second coming of "Primetime" and wanted to wear Deion's #2. Deion said he had to earn it. Safe to say, he never did. After one year of getting burned, he was switched to WR where he didnt really contribute until his senior year.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Back in 92ish Texas signed a QB named Shea Morenz. At the time he was the top rated QB in the country and the guy that was going to lead Mac II and Texas back to respectability. He started part of one year and then was replaced by James Brown who at the time became a fan favorite. Shea ended up quitting football and going on to baseball. If anyone qualifies as a bust it would have to be him.