lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

^ ^ ^ R A C K ^ ^ ^

point for point.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

One more big hiphop fan that don't get tupac.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

RACK

Gangsta shit altogether is over-rated.

Under-rated Hip Hop

Doug E. Fresh
MC Shan and Marley Marl
Afrika Bambaata

The list is long. Why MTV and it's co-conspirators decided to market Hip Hop once it became about gang violence and violence towards women, is highly suspect.

Highly Suspect.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

there's nothing to GET about tupac, except for maybe OVER ON and that's been done. eternally.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Tom In VA wrote:RACK

I wouldn't go that far. The early gangsta rap like NWA, Above The Law, The DOC, Compton's Most Wanted, DJ Quik, etc. was valid because it was about reality. Sure, it was violent, mysogenistic, and homophobic at times, but it was a reflection of what was really going on in the streets of South Central LA. It was quite an eye opener for this white kid in Nebraska whose previous exposure to rap was pretty much just the Beasties & Run-DMC. Maybe I consider it more legit than current BS like 50 Cent because it was so original at the time. Maybe it's just because I was 16 years old when I heard it and I thought it was cool that they said "fuck" and "nigga" a lot. But to me, there is a legitimacy to that early gangsta rap that the current "bling bling" shit is completely lacking. The beats back then were a lot tighter too. Eazy, Cube, & Ren could actually flow to the beat, as opposed to just yelling shit over a bunch of electronic noises.
"Keys, woman!"
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I just thought of another one....

Tupac.

Now I know there are some of you who think all rap is highly overrated, but I'm not one of those people. I actually enjoy a lot of hip-hop, from current acts like J5, The Roots, Atmosphere, Blackalicious, Brother Ali, and Ugly Duckling, to the classic stuff like NWA, PE, Tribe, Beasties, and Poor Righteous Teachers. But I just cannot get into to Tupac. I hate most of his beats, and his flow is average. I don't even think he was the second best MC in Digital Underground (I put Shock G and Money B ahead of him), let alone the best of all time. It seems like 25 years old is the cut-off age. Everyone 25 & under worships at Tupac's feet, while us older folks think he's overrated.

Seriously, every time I meet someone who's really into Tupac, I'll have them try to play something they think I'd like. I have tried to understand it. But it always just sounds like that weak-ass thuggish-ruggish bullshit that's on the radio.
rack that...
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:RACK

I wouldn't go that far. The early gangsta rap like NWA, Above The Law, The DOC, Compton's Most Wanted, DJ Quik, etc. was valid because it was about reality. Sure, it was violent, mysogenistic, and homophobic at times, but it was a reflection of what was really going on in the streets of South Central LA. It was quite an eye opener for this white kid in Nebraska whose previous exposure to rap was pretty much just the Beasties & Run-DMC. Maybe I consider it more legit than current BS like 50 Cent because it was so original at the time. Maybe it's just because I was 16 years old when I heard it and I thought it was cool that they said "fuck" and "nigga" a lot. But to me, there is a legitimacy to that early gangsta rap that the current "bling bling" shit is completely lacking. The beats back then were a lot tighter too. Eazy, Cube, & Ren could actually flow to the beat, as opposed to just yelling shit over a bunch of electronic noises.
Right. Which is precisely why I couldn't relate to it when it became about something as real as that.

The Rap I heard, quite infrequently living in D.C. back in 84-86, and in Jersey on a regular basis, was about something other than the violence on the street the people were trying to deal with and escape.

The gansta shit, seemed to glorify it.

As I said, that Rap and Hip Hop finally hit larger acclaim and wider radio play when it got "gangsta" is something I find suspect.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

I see what you are saying. Back in the late 80s, during the original wave of gangsta rap, MTV was pushing shit like Rob Base and Fresh Prince and pretty much relegating NWA to minimal airplay on Yo! MTV Raps. Now gangsta is mainstream and the stuff that's more positive, like Atmosphere and Ugly Duckling, is almost completely ignored. Maybe that's the key. How gangsta can you be when you're selling 6 million albums and hangin' with Carson Daly on TRL? Not that NWA didn't make enough money to live comfortably, but they never blew up the way it has now...
"Keys, woman!"
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

it's like i remember the old school hip-hop and i'm left cold by P Diddy and crunk.

i will admit that Jay-Z does a dece job with his storytelling raps.
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Bacefelice wrote:One more big hiphop fan that don't get tupac.
Biggie was, is, and will always be better than Tupac. At least Biggie had the decency to not write crappy poetry or star in some of the shittiest movies ever made.

JCT, how could you let someone write that Steely Dan is overrated? What the hell are you a mod for?

Overrated? Where do I start?

Eminem, 50 Cent, and Nelly all suck. Period. So does Usher and Justin Timberlake. Like others have mentioned already, I really hate Creed too.

Too many to mention.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Invictus wrote:Steely Dan is overrated
What bastard said that!
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Invictus wrote:JCT, how could you let someone write that Steely Dan is overrated?
I was thinking the same thing.

I don't ever remember Steely Dan playing or being pimped at network TV variety/award shows -- one of my criteria for being overrated.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Indeed. Their Grammy acceptance "speech" was one of the best f-u's to the industry ever. I don't even think they thought they would win and their subtle smirking at the podium was excellent.
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Bacefelice wrote:Image
All I heard.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

I always thought YES was overrated once the substances wore off......
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Invictus wrote:All I heard.
nothin's gonna let the elevator break us down
oh no
let's go
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Tom In VA wrote:I think Led Zep was a bit overhyped as well

You gotta be kidding me.

Zep had a sound blend that no one, to this day, has come close to.
The celtic folk influence / metal blend made for some of the best music of that generation, and remains relevant today.

Plant one of the greatest guitarists of all time and Page had incredible vocal range.

Easily One of the top 5 Bands of all time.

-------------------------------------------------

Overhyped:

Phil Collins
Yes
The Police
Oasis - LOL when I remembered one critic calling them the next Beattles
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

KC Scott wrote:Overhyped:

Phil Collins
Definitely. And you can add Genesis to that. My God but Genesis fans are a rabid bunch of freaks, trying to push "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" as some sort of frigging epic.

I'd probably toss Peter Gabriel in, except that the guy has made absolutely awesome stuff in and out of rock ("Passion" is incredible) that destroys anything Genesis and Phil have ever done.
Yes
I don't know if they're overrated or just plain sad nowadays. Had some good stuff, but I've liked the solo efforts of Chris Squire and Rick Wakeman better than the band's efforts.
The Police
ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY! They wrote some catchy stuff, but by the time "Synchronicity" hit, I was so damned tired of them it was ridiculous. And put Sting on the list of folks who takes themselves too damned seriously as a musician and a person.
And who here DIDN'T love it when they were rightfully tossed into the "where are they now" bin of music history?
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

I can't believe no one's pounced on this yet!
KC Scott wrote: Plant one of the greatest guitarists of all time and Page had incredible vocal range.

Don't forget the rythym section, dude. John Bonham was an awesome bassist and John Paul Jones is one of the best rock drummers of all time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Keys, woman!"
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I can't believe no one's pounced on this yet!
KC Scott wrote: Plant one of the greatest guitarists of all time and Page had incredible vocal range.

Don't forget the rythym section, dude. John Bonham was an awesome bassist and John Paul Jones is one of the best rock drummers of all time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed.

My train of thought derailed before I got to Bonzo and JPJ
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:
Yes
I don't know if they're overrated or just plain sad nowadays. Had some good stuff, but I've liked the solo efforts of Chris Squire and Rick Wakeman better than the band's efforts.
I saw them in concert in the mid-90s. I've seen well over 100 shows in all sorts of venues and theirs was easily in the top five, no question.
Mike the Lab Rat wrote:
The Police
ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY! They wrote some catchy stuff, but by the time "Synchronicity" hit, I was so damned tired of them it was ridiculous. And put Sting on the list of folks who takes themselves too damned seriously as a musician and a person.
I disagree, but it's all relative. If you compare The Police to Sting's solo stuff, there's no way they were overrated. His solo stuff got way more radio airplay and hype, despite arguably inferior music. Granted, a select few of The Police's songs were played on the radio, a lot of their really good, early stuff was not.
Mike the Lab Rat wrote:
And who here DIDN'T love it when they were rightfully tossed into the "where are they now" bin of music history?
Absolutely. Bunch of fucking MTV-hyped-at-the-time posers.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I think it happens to a lot of bands / performers who stay around a long time. It's pretty hard to be "new and original" for 30 years. Who has done that, anyway? To a lot of people the music of Yes or The Police may have gotten stale after the first few albums. Other people who may be more attuned to that particular band's music might see a constant change or evolution to the music. Just because you may have gotten tired of them doesn't mean that they'r overrated. It just means that your taste has changed.

A few months ago I rented a DVD of a Yes concert from three or four years ago, made with a symphony orchaestra backing them. Sure, they rehashed a lot of old stuff but the performance was awesome, IMO, expecially the one side they played from Tales from Topographic Oceans. A lot of people thought this album was pretentious and over produced. I always thought it was the next logical step in the progression of their music.

I don't really listen to Yes much anymore, but I still like their stuff on occasion. But I don't think that they are overrated. If you don't like their music, that's a different thing. I saw them live in 1973 when they were playing Close to the Edge (the same tour that YESSONGS came from) and it remains one of the most incredible shows I have ever witnessed. They were so different and so far ahead of everybody else in what they were doing, I don't think that it's possible for Yes to be overrated based on accomplishments and the influence they had in the early 70's alone.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

just remember,will any of the teen-pop garbage like britney and justin have that kind of staying power like The Dan has?

i think not...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

scritti wrote:just remember,will any of the teen-pop garbage like britney and justin have that kind of staying power like The Dan has?

i think not...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just imagine, thirty years from now, all the 40 something Britney fans seeing her new video and saying "damn she STILL sounds good".
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

let's see,they'll fix the airbushing,soft focus lights and vocal tracks by then.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Invictus wrote:
JCT, how could you let someone write that Steely Dan is overrated? What the hell are you a mod for?

I missed that. I will have him shot at dawn. I just watched the Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD for about the 60th time. Larry Carlton was there and played Josie. Someone go tell him he's overrated.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

yes, and the progressive/art rock movement of the 70's (genesis, emerson lake and palmer, king crimson, jethro tull,and some uriah heep)
were experimenting and expanding boundries while still being able to get paid some how

u may not dig it but that type work does deserve respect

rush is/was the only progressive group to keep it together due to its more hard rock accesibility and grass roots support
mvscals blow monkey spunk
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

i think the police got a little too much run for their version of 'reggae rock' but they did have a mini-punk background and anything devoid of the disco era was welcome.....

alex lifeson totally ripped off summers solid state sound circa 1984 too

the cure were truley an original act and regardless of all the little wierd dudes wearing pancake make-up and dressing in black, robert smith invented a killer acoustic/electric sound never heard before, en masse
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Re: Name your most overrated bands/artists

Post by Bizzarofelice »

RadioFan wrote: As for Springsteen, I'm likely about to stir up a hornet's nest for even mentioning him, and I've been told I need to get "Nebraska" and give it a good listen. I haven't done that yet, so Bace and others can pile on.
I WILL END YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE!!!!!
Thas cool. I don't like all Springsteen. That being said, few songs bring me up like Born to Run. Few albums affect me like Nebraska. Brown Volt, Uncle Brown, Brownco, Brown Rockets and all alt. country owe the Nebraska album much respek.

Nebraska and the Otis Redding box set were my senior year in college. Many a party ended with me and Lovell singing along to these two albums until we started kicking each other's ass*. Yes, drunk and Boss = fighting. Nebraska is the soundtrack to me throwing empty bottles of Jack across the street and onto the neighbors brick facade.

Enough thinkin' abut the good ol' days. You're a douche for not liking Nebraska.

*he mainly kicked my ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

JCT wrote:I missed that. I will have him shot at dawn. I just watched the Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD for about the 60th time.
Another hopelessly overrated act. I saw Clapton at the Carrier Dome in 90 and damn near fell asleep in the middle of the show.
Larry Carlton was there and played Josie. Someone go tell him he's overrated.
For all I care it could have been Steve Carlton playing that song. They still bore the hell out of me.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Keep in mind, all these artists are outstanding. Just "over" hyped.

In regards to the Springsteen guy, shit yeah, "Born to Run" kicks ass.

In regards to Led Zeppelin. KC Scott, I believe Plant had the vocals and Page had the guitar. They're so overhyped you don't even know who plays which position. :P
KC Scott wrote:

Plant one of the greatest guitarists of all time and Page had incredible vocal range.
I think I place them in "over hyped" because Stairway is "overplayed", and hardly my favorite Zep tune.

Clapton. :evil:

Great guitarist, good bluesman, but "OVERHYPED". Kind of pisses me off when I meet people who think THE BLUES start and end with Clapton. I saw him as well in 1990. The percussionist, actually made the show great. Some bald dude on the congas and various other percussion devices. He was awesome and really got into the job. It was entertaining.

The Dead ? Overhyped and over-rated ? Please. :? :? :? Maybe in the late 80's and early 90's but you've got to be kidding me. I've yet to go to a concert drunk, stoned or sober that even compared to a Dead show drunk, stoned, or sober. They recreated the music almost every time they played it. Which was awesome because you could feel the ....... pearls to swine ..... :lol:

Metallica, overhyped. Slayer was better, Motorhead was better, Anthrax, S.O.D, Nuclear Assault better, better, better.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Think I was hammered much that night?
Anytime I go on a music rant like that........

It's 2 AM (It's 2 AM)
My beer is gone
I'm sittin' here posting
My brain is gone
Thinking my connection
On DSL is glitching

Yeah, there's a thread on the loose
throbbing in my head
PMs in the message box
All wish I was dead
Cannot decode
What BBQ was saying......

Help, I'm stepping into the T One Zone
The place is a mad house
I Feel like Killing Clones
"My threads are gone"
"You Nazi bastard Mod"
"Where am I to go
"Now that TOT is all gone?"

Soon you will come to know
When this Mod hits Cuervo
Yes I have come to know
All ways to smack homo

I'm fallin' down a Zep thread
Artists unknown
seeing double typed messages
All alone
Can't make no connection
Just can't think
"Uh Yea" Plant Sings

Well, that thought weighs heavy
On my blurry mind
This close to my beddy time
And when the morning comes
I knows damn well I'll just delete it
And I say...

Help, I'm stepping into the T One Zone
The place is a mad house
I Feel like Killing Clones:
"My threads are gone"
"You Nazi bastard Mod"
"Where am I to go
"Now that TOT is all gone?"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:It's pretty hard to be "new and original" for 30 years. Who has done that, anyway?
Well....there is this one band that you, me, and Tom seem to like......
Tom In VA wrote:The Dead ? Overhyped and over-rated ? Please. :? :? :? Maybe in the late 80's and early 90's but you've got to be kidding me. I've yet to go to a concert drunk, stoned or sober that even compared to a Dead show drunk, stoned, or sober. They recreated the music almost every time they played it. Which was awesome because you could feel the ....... pearls to swine ..... :lol:

The one regret I have in my concert-going lifetime, is that I've never found the words to explain it. It just saddens me that more people couldn't feel the joy that I felt......not that a few unwashed little skanks didn't feel my joy.

Well, that, and it's hard to find good qual dose these days.

No live rock performer comes anywhere near Jerry. Not even close. Not on their best day, while He was having His worse.

Metallica, overhyped.

You're talking about two different eras of Metallica. There was "first 4 albums" Metallica, and then there was the rest. Please don't sully their greatness and influence(more than any other metal band except Sabbath), by associating their name with the post-1990 "works." TIA.

And if you at any time have ever thought that Anthrax is/was better than Metallica, then you need to get your ears checked.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

KC Scott wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:I think Led Zep was a bit overhyped as well

You gotta be kidding me.

Zep had a sound blend that no one, to this day, has come close to.
The celtic folk influence / metal blend made for some of the best music of that generation, and remains relevant today.

Easily One of the top 5 Bands of all time.

-------------------------------------------------

Overhyped:

Phil Collins
Yes
The Police
led zepp brought electric blues en masse and fused it with rock n roll
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I've heard Metallica's pre-1990 offerings. I didn't say they weren't "GREAT", just "OVERRATED" and of the genre, specifically the West Coast "dark" metal, I think Slayer was better, heavier and darker.

Anthrax, was a different style altogether. In terms of rating and "hype" I think Anthrax is AS deserving of the hype Metallica received. East Coast "thrash metal" has a different tone than "west coast". Anthrax, set that tone in the East.

Remember "Over-rated" <> sucks.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Tom In VA wrote:I've heard Metallica's pre-1990 offerings. I didn't say they weren't "GREAT", just "OVERRATED" and of the genre, specifically the West Coast "dark" metal, I think Slayer was better, heavier and darker.

Anthrax, was a different style altogether. In terms of rating and "hype" I think Anthrax is AS deserving of the hype Metallica received. East Coast "thrash metal" has a different tone than "west coast". Anthrax, set that tone in the East.

It is just about impossible to overstate the influence of Metallica. When it comes to fusing speed, distortion and harmony, Metallica set the standard with their first 4 albums. Furthermore, Metallica was more than just a band to many. There's a reason Beavis is wearing a Metallica shirt and not an Anthrax shirt. It's because Anthrax was a band, Metallica was a freakin LIFESTYLE.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

BSmack wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:I've heard Metallica's pre-1990 offerings. I didn't say they weren't "GREAT", just "OVERRATED" and of the genre, specifically the West Coast "dark" metal, I think Slayer was better, heavier and darker.

It is just about impossible to overstate the influence of Metallica. When it comes to fusing speed, distortion and harmony, Metallica set the standard with their first 4 albums. Furthermore, Metallica was more than just a band to many. There's a reason Beavis is wearing a Metallica shirt and not an Anthrax shirt. It's because Anthrax was a band, Metallica was a freakin LIFESTYLE.
and butthead is wearing acdc :lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Did David Wells have an Anthrax shirt on under the Pinstripes?

I don't think so.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Dinsdale wrote:Did David Wells have an Anthrax shirt on under the Pinstripes?

I don't think so.
:lol:

You got me. But a lot has to be said of Motorhead, Slayer, Anthrax, Nuclear Assault being UNDERrated.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Tom In VA wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Did David Wells have an Anthrax shirt on under the Pinstripes?

I don't think so.
:lol:

You got me. But a lot has to be said of Motorhead, Slayer, Anthrax, Nuclear Assault being UNDERrated.
Huh? What's "underrated" then? Not having as much exposure as a Mettallica? Come on.

I'd say those even just casually into the hard rock/metal scene have heard all the "glory" about those bands (moreso Slayer and Anthrax), being pioneers of the genre, and all that hoopla. Plus, they get all the ink by journalists of said genre when the subjects of influences and comparisons comes about.

Of course, that's all just based on what I've read/heard.