Name your most overrated bands/artists

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Name your most overrated bands/artists

Post by RadioFan »

For me, it's got to be Tom Petty, followed by "The Boss." :roll:

My gf and I were talking about this the other night, and we started talking about bands/artists that were underrated, and it got both of us into thinking about bands/artists that are totally overrated.

Let's take Tom Petty, for example. She brought him up, in comparison to Jackson Browne. Actually, there is no comparison, and Tom Petty is overrated, bigtime. Have any of you ever gotten "the chills" from a freaking Tom Petty song? (outside of background music on a hot date, clones) Have you ever had even the slightest inclination to listen to him on the headphones, cranked up?

My answer would be NO WAY, on all accounts. And if dude was playing in the background during foreplay, I'd probably lose it. No, scratch the probably.

As for Springsteen, I'm likely about to stir up a hornet's nest for even mentioning him, and I've been told I need to get "Nebraska" and give it a good listen. I haven't done that yet, so Bace and others can pile on.

I just find it ironic that everybody was so into "Born in the USA" when much of it was sarcasm, much like "Every Breath You Take" by Sting being interpreted as a love song.

And how much of Springsteen's band contributed to "his" music?

True story -- When I was in Lawrence, I once got into an argument with a woman I met on a first date, then went back to her apartment, where she lived with her mom. She was a Fulbright grad student, and had just got back from being overseas -- long story. Anyway, I got into this huge argument with she and her mom, about who was "bigger" worldwide, as in who was more well-known: Michael Jackson or Bruce Springsteen. They, being "personal friends" of The Boss, were on the Springsteen side. I was like, "Get a grip." This was in the early 90s. Yes, I did NOT get any pussy that night, and I eventually was asked to leave the house, but it helped me to realize that yes, there are fans who will show up if ever "The Boss" is accused of child molestation and proclaim his innocence. It was interesting, to say the least.

Which brings me to No. 3: Phil Collins.

Outside of actually playing drums and singing while in Genesis, he fucking blows.

I have a few more ... thoughts?
Last edited by RadioFan on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I'm not sure why everyone has such a boner for Pearl Jam. I mean, "Garden" is a cool song, but that's about as far as it goes for me. They don't necessarily suck. I just think they're way overrated.
"Keys, woman!"
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I'm not sure why everyone has such a boner for Pearl Jam. I mean, "Garden" is a cool song, but that's about as far as it goes for me. They don't necessarily suck. I just think they're way overrated.
Me too. WAY overrated.

Don't call me daughter...

Wtf is that?

Actually, the end of that song goes something like this ...

Don't call me grandpa
blah blah

Don't call me sister
blah blah

Don't call me second cousin ...

Ok, maybe not. I still sing it that way though. God, that song sucks, as does most of Pearl Jam.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

rem
springsteen
lenny kravitz
creed
mvscals blow monkey spunk
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Any grunge band.

RF, I agree about Tom Petty, but I have to take some issue with what you say about Springsteen.

If you look at Springsteen from a 2005 perspective, and maybe even from the early 90's, yes maybe he's overrated. But his first three albums, IMHO, were and remain rock 'n roll classics. He bacame a media darling, suffered from overplay and overhype, and maybe started resting on his laurels and got kind of stale. But you can't take his accomplishments away.

Your criticism about how much did his band contribute to "his" music would apply to any artist that doesn't play completely solo, however he did write all of the music and lyrics himself, as far as I know. And the live performances of the E Street Band back in the early-mid 70's were incredible shows. He and they put more pure energy into their performances than any band at the time and maybe any time since.

As far as the "Born in the USA" lyrics, I don't believe there is much sarcasm there. It's a pretty straight forward commentary. The irony of them being misinterpreted is there, but you can't blame him for the fact that 99% of the people only listen to one line of the song.

One more thing. Did you ever see the movie "Philadelphia"? I can't imagine any song being more effective in a film than the one he wrote for that.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Mikey wrote:But his first three albums, IMHO, were and remain rock 'n roll classics. He bacame a media darling, suffered from overplay and overhype, and maybe started resting on his laurels and got kind of stale. But you can't take his accomplishments away.
True. I don't have the appreciation of him that you and others have. I'll make it a point to check out his first three albums.

I gained some while living in Kansas City and listening to this show. Mikey, you would absolutely love this guy. He's on from noon until 2 p.m. CT, on Saturdays. He did a two-hour show on Springsteen a few years ago when I was living up there. After hearing that show (he typically plays rare stuff and/or tunes that aren't normally played on the radio) my attitude about Springsteen warmed considerably.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Agree on Springsteen and Petty. Throw U2 on the list of acts that people acknowledge as great because the recording industry told them to.

Pearl Jam's Greatest Hits...ERRRR....I mean their first album was solid. Never seen a sophmore/subsequent effort degrade so quickly. Behold the evils of heroin abuse.
Mikey wrote:Any grunge band.
Strongly disagree, depending on your definition of "Grunge." Most people associate that with the "Seattle Sound" of the late 80's/early 90's. Of the prominant bands, Alice In Chains was both unique, skilled, and inspired. In their early days, Soundgarden put more effort into playing than they did posing.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Tom Petty, agreed.

Springsteen, disagree.

U2, strongly disagree.

Seattle to me means Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Screaming Trees (pre movie soundtrack stuff) oh and Jimi.

Frankly I never quite understood the hype over Stoned Temple Pilots.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dinsdale wrote:Throw U2 on the list of acts that people acknowledge as great because the recording industry told them to.
Agree on their recent shit. It blows.

Their early stuff ... "October, "Boy," "War" ... they sound like a completely different band.
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

i never knew there were so many tom petty haters. damn.

i grew up listening to tom petty, courtesy of the father unit. and i love 'em. listened to 'em this morning, in fact.

over rated why, exactly ?

his odd voice is cool, his style is cool and *shrugs*

i dig him, a lot.

refugee
don't come round here no more
breakdown

that sort of older stuff is awesome.

don't care for anything newer except for that mary jane's last dance song.

that one is definitely crank worthy. the louder the better.

ps: rack the pearl jam remarks. they suck balls. not even worth elaborating on. seattle was green river, Alice and soundgarden, and for some of us freaks, it was also the monthly sub-pop comps which fucking own, from TAD to the first nirvana single, pink vinyl - still got it and still love it.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I love a lot of Petty tunes. I just think he's over-rated. I think Led Zep was a bit overhyped as well.

As for U2, the only stuff I don't like is that cheesy Europop/Discoteque stuff they did.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Pearl Cream sucks ass. Springsteen sounds like he's taking a shit everytime he sings.

I know many people will disagree, but I think Eminem is way overrated. He sounds like any other rap guy out there, talkin' 'bout bitches an hos, grabbin' his gun to pop a cap in some homies ass in the 'hood.

One word - Aerosmith. God, somebody please put them out of their misery. They are like U2... had some great early music, then started sucking some ass later on.

And as a general rule, any so-called artist who does not write their own music/lyrics or play an instrument is overrated. Those idiots probably did color-by-numbers and called them original artwork.
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

Nirvana

Lenny Kravitz

Weezer

Springsteen

Linkin Park

Korn
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

KatMode wrote:One word - Aerosmith. God, somebody please put them out of their misery. They are like U2... had some great early music, then started sucking some ass later on.

And as a general rule, any so-called artist who does not write their own music/lyrics or play an instrument is overrated. Those idiots probably did color-by-numbers and called them original artwork.
Rack.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

RadioFan wrote:
KatMode wrote:One word - Aerosmith. God, somebody please put them out of their misery. They are like U2... had some great early music, then started sucking some ass later on.

Rack.
Second.

Steven Tyler's most memorable accomplishment in the last 28 years is:

drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

Mikey wrote:
RadioFan wrote:

Rack.
Second.

Steven Tyler's most memorable accomplishment in the last 28 years is:

And he ignored that while recording albums like " Night in the Ruts " .

That band should retire , period . She did however help their resurrection and caused a few erections in thier videos .

Rolling Stones : Jumped the shark after " Some Girls " .

Lenny Kravitz : Dude just doesn't get it . But the GAP does . :roll:

Pearl Jam : Believed in thier hype , and wrote accordingly .

Rolling Stone Magazine : Are they even relevant anymore ? God I miss Creem , and Robert Christgau . Always pimped the best bands during that period .

MTV and VH1 : Vacuous . Kill them now . All of them .

Metallica : Pussies .
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Name your most overrated bands/artists

Post by BSmack »

RadioFan wrote:As for Springsteen, I'm likely about to stir up a hornet's nest for even mentioning him, and I've been told I need to get "Nebraska" and give it a good listen. I haven't done that yet, so Bace and others can pile on.
Seriously you do. If you can listen to Johnny 99 without chills running down your spine, then I'm not sure what can be done for you.

I'd also recomend giving Human Touch and Lucky Town a listen.
I just find it ironic that everybody was so into "Born in the USA" when much of it was sarcasm, much like "Every Breath You Take" by Sting being interpreted as a love song.
I always thought Born in the USA reflected more on the idiots I had the misfortune of comming of age with than Springsteen himself. However, that being said, The overhype of Born in the USA caused me to listen to very little Springsteen during the 80s.
And how much of Springsteen's band contributed to "his" music?

True story -- When I was in Lawrence, I once got into an argument with a woman I met on a first date, then went back to her apartment, where she lived with her mom. She was a Fulbright grad student, and had just got back from being overseas -- long story. Anyway, I got into this huge argument with she and her mom, about who was "bigger" worldwide, as in who was more well-known: Michael Jackson or Bruce Springsteen. They, being "personal friends" of The Boss, were on the Springsteen side. I was like, "Get a grip." This was in the early 90s. Yes, I did NOT get any pussy that night, and I eventually was asked to leave the house, but it helped me to realize that yes, there are fans who will show up if ever "The Boss" is accused of child molestation and proclaim his innocence. It was interesting, to say the least.
Die hard Springsteen fans are, to say the least, obsessive. You don't sell out places like Shea Stadium in 2 hours without some seriously fucking deranged fans.
Which brings me to No. 3: Phil Collins.
His solo CDs should be used as clay pigeons.

My list:

Jethro Tull: How this band won a Grammy for best "Heavy Metal" album still is a mystery. Anyone who can listen to Thick as a Brick all the way through should be tested for drugs immediately.

Steely Dan: Every one of their songs sounds the same. Their fans all rave about that Fagan guy like he's God or something. I'd rather listen to rhinos mating.

Nine Inch Nails: At least Marylyn Manson got that it was all a joke. Obviously nobody has clued Trent Reznor into this fact. Talentless and humorless is no way to go through life.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Good topic.

Grateful Dead- the music is dull lets be honest. Deadheads were people who couldnt let the 60s go,and couldnt stop dropping acid. I could never get into them.

Fleetwood Mac-boring,bland.

Michael Jackson-in fairness Off the Wall,was a great album,so was Thriller. But ever since WTF has he done? His music sounds so dated,he never changed since 1983.

Paul Simon-dude sings monotone,and his songs are more annoying then entertaining. His lover Garfunkel wasnt any better.

Kiss- Face it,,THEY ARE A GIMMICK!!!Their songs suck! Had they not worn facepaint,and did outrageous shows they'd of been another Dokken,Krokus,Winger etc.

Madonna-brilliant at marketing herself,her music is subpar.

Elton John-without Bernie Taupin,hes nothing.

2pac-a genius??Bullshit,him,and Biggie couldnt rap worth shit,and arent at all missed by me,or any other real music fan.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The Assassin wrote:Good topic.

Grateful Dead- the music is dull lets be honest. Deadheads were people who couldnt let the 60s go,and couldnt stop dropping acid. I could never get into them.
Wrong.

I haven't dropped acid in years.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Now I'm a big Petty fan. Always liked him, listening to Echo as I type.

Springsteen, I agree, never liked his stuff.

My list:

Areosmith - Should have ODed a long time ago, the rest of Run DMC should be shot for bringing them back out of obscurity.

REM - just plain old fucking horrible

The Eagles - Don Henley needs to be punched in the face.

The Cure - Never got it, my sister was big into that shit. Fuck you and your teen angst.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

fuck all you pearl jam haters. of all the seattle bands, who is still around, nevertheless consistantly selling out 20k seat arenas? not nirvana, not soundgarden, not AIC. there are few bands around who put the fans first like pearl jam. there are also few bands around who have such a large, loyal fan base that they can sell out arenas nationwide. please name me another band that played three consecutive sellout shows in boston in 03 and only repeated one single song over the three days?

i bet you assholes have a creed cd in your collection.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:fuck all you pearl jam haters. of all the seattle bands, who is still around, nevertheless consistantly selling out 20k seat arenas? not nirvana, not soundgarden, not AIC. there are few bands around who put the fans first like pearl jam. there are also few bands around who have such a large, loyal fan base that they can sell out arenas nationwide. please name me another band that played three consecutive sellout shows in boston in 03 and only repeated one single song over the three days?

i bet you assholes have a creed cd in your collection.
The fact that they sold out a 20,000 seat arena is somehow a measure of their musical legitimacy? Actually it just shows how really overrated they are, and how many dumb customers are willing to shell out the $$ to see them play.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Petty's stuff is pretty inconsistent, but "American Girl" is an awesome song. That's enough to get my respect.

I'm not sure who I would list for overrated bands. Most of the insubstantial crap that gets played ad nauseam on the radio would count, but I'm learning to ignore most of it.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Kiss, blah they suck.

Tom, don't you start talking shit on Zeppelin, if this were not a sports driven board I would be ZoSoMO. :evil:
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

John Mellencamp, a.k.a. "Johnny Cougar", "John Cougar" and "John Cougar Mellencamp",
or whatever the hell he calls himself this week.
I've heard him referred to as "The Hoosier Springsteen".
When he gets glossed in comparison to someone else already named on this thread,
that's not a good sign. :P
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Dinsdale wrote:Throw U2 on the list of acts that people acknowledge as great because the recording industry told them to.
RACK!
Dreams......Temporary Madness
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

JCT wrote:The Cure - Never got it, my sister was big into that shit. Fuck you and your teen angst.
Can't disagree with you more on that one, but to each his/her own. Love the teen angst shit. The Cure is at least original, they write their own music, and continue to influence bands and musicians all over the world to this day. The Cure is in my Top 5 All Time Favorite Bands.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

I added that to make PrimeX cry.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

KatMode wrote:
Can't disagree with you more on that one, but to each his/her own. Love the teen angst shit. the Cure is at least original, they write their own music, and continue to influence bands and musicians all over the world to this day.
Rack!

Junction, Mommy drinks because I cry. She doesn't need your help.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

KatMode wrote:Pearl Cream sucks ass. Springsteen sounds like he's taking a shit everytime he sings.

I know many people will disagree, but I think Eminem is way overrated. He sounds like any other rap guy out there, talkin' 'bout bitches an hos, grabbin' his gun to pop a cap in some homies ass in the 'hood.

One word - Aerosmith. God, somebody please put them out of their misery. They are like U2... had some great early music, then started sucking some ass later on.

Thats a huge rack.

Evanvescence (sp?)-sucks that a beautiful voice like that lead singers has to be associated with such shit noise.

Pearl Jam-Never owned 'em and never had the desire to. They are living proof that a couple of semi catchy riffs and useless lyrics can be parlayed into a record deal.

U2/Stones-these 2 bands fit the same category, because both were great at one time, and had a huge impact on the music scene as a whole-but have not done anything notable or listenable for about 20 years. These heads are basically pushing horseshit down fans throats and collecting paychecks-period.

To round out this list, i'll go with 99.9% of what is played on the radio......
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

I'm not necessarily saying that the following bands suck, I'm just saying that they're in *my* "overrated" list:

- U2, REM, Aerosmith....overstayed their welcome

- White Stripes, the Strokes....basically, any band hailed by "Rolling Stone" as the new saviors of rock pretty much can count on being in a "Where Are They Now" show ten years from now.

- Wilco, Golden Smog, Son Volt....my musician friends insisted on jamming these bands down my throat. Not particularly impressed, which pisses off the aformentioned musician friends...
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

REM
Springsteen
madonna
U2
sorry about that whammy!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

It's strange. Springsteen can sell out any venue anywhere in 3.2 minutes, yet I never really meet anyone who actually listens to his music.

I respect the guy for his ability to perform...that's what he is, a performer/entertainer. His tunes, however, aren't for me.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Kiss and Aerosmith aren't overrated, because they never had value to begin with. They're just horrible.
Billdong
Elwood

Post by Billdong »

RUSH!!!! - I just dont understand it.... there is nothing about them that i like...
U2 is a good pick
Aerosmith is another good one.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Sting.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

U2, looking back. I suppose over-rated is a good call. It's not that they suck, they don't. Any tune that is inspirational and gives the listener goose bumps, can't suck, U2 has plenty. But over-rated ?

Sure.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Just thought of another one.

The Beach Boys.

I am SO friggin' tired of music mags, music critics, and their own devoted followers insisting that those California harmonizers were the greatest thing since...well, EVER.

I can't stand the whole "surf" sound and don't think that Brian Wilson being obscure and clinically-frigging-insane makes him a genius. It just makes him obscure and nutty.

P.S. "Pet Sounds" sucks IMNSHO.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Billdong
Elwood

Post by Billdong »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:Just thought of another one.

The Beach Boys.

I am SO friggin' tired of music mags, music critics, and their own devoted followers insisting that those California harmonizers were the greatest thing since...well, EVER.

I can't stand the whole "surf" sound and don't think that Brian Wilson being obscure and clinically-frigging-insane makes him a genius. It just makes him obscure and nutty.

P.S. "Pet Sounds" sucks IMNSHO.
^^^^^AGREED!!
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I just thought of another one....

Tupac.

Now I know there are some of you who think all rap is highly overrated, but I'm not one of those people. I actually enjoy a lot of hip-hop, from current acts like J5, The Roots, Atmosphere, Blackalicious, Brother Ali, and Ugly Duckling, to the classic stuff like NWA, PE, Tribe, Beasties, and Poor Righteous Teachers. But I just cannot get into to Tupac. I hate most of his beats, and his flow is average. I don't even think he was the second best MC in Digital Underground (I put Shock G and Money B ahead of him), let alone the best of all time. It seems like 25 years old is the cut-off age. Everyone 25 & under worships at Tupac's feet, while us older folks think he's overrated.

Seriously, every time I meet someone who's really into Tupac, I'll have them try to play something they think I'd like. I have tried to understand it. But it always just sounds like that weak-ass thuggish-ruggish bullshit that's on the radio.
"Keys, woman!"