Texas #1 in BCS.......WTF???

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Moorese wrote:
Van wrote:Harvdog and Moorese, you both know as well as I do that it's every bit a matter of when you beat a team as much as who you beat...
I was simply pointing out that in detailing Texas' conference accomplishments to date you omitted their defeat of CU, a quality opponent, which along with the win over Texas Tech may explain the switch in BCS position. I do expect that the Longhorn's remaining schedule which includes such powderpuffs as Baylor and Kansas will do damage that an A&M game and a conference championship game cannot remedy, effectively removing from them from the top BCS position in favor of a USC team with Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA remaining.
Don't forget Stanford (assuming SC gets past them in two weeks) which will be 5-2 and surely a top 20 team when SC plays them, after beating UCLA this coming weekend.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Moorese wrote:you omitted their defeat of CU, a quality opponent
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Whaa? Did you see the beatdown they administered to the New Mexico State Chile Pickers?
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Harvdog wrote:Texas played 2 team that were in the Top 10 during the saeson and beat both. They also beat Colorado that was a Top 25 team when they came to Austin for their beating. We also beat a pretty good Missouri team at their crib by 30 points. When we play the Big XII championship game in December whoever represents the north will be ranked. That would be 5 wins over ranked teams. VT has played 1 team all year. They beat West Virigina who wasn't even ranked when they played. They still play BC and Miami. That is a total of 3 ranked teams now. 1 is a Top 10 team as we speak. 2 are Top 20. We have allready been over the fact that VT's opponents have a combined record of 23-25. Texas has a combined record of 27-20. If you look at future opponents and look they add up to 42-33 for Texas and 41-33 for VT.
You've forgotten to factor in the ACC championship game.

If VaTech runs the table, they'll meet either Fredo or Florida State in the ACC championship game. Either team will be ranked higher than the Big 12 North champ.

VaTech could leapfrog Texas after the first weekend of December, and I have a hunch that they will if both run the table.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Killian wrote:The bigger problem could come in two weeks, if VaTech beats #14 BC and #7 Miami. At the same time, USC plays Washington State and Stanford. So it's possible that VaTech could jump into #2 in two weeks. If that did happen, I'm sure it would work it self out when USC plays Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA. But this is the problem with the BCS.
Never happen, the human polls still have USC #1 but the difference between #1 and #2 was only slight. The difference between #2 and #3 was huge. As long as USC is #1 in the human polls there is no way #3 will also jump them.

BTW I love it but I only expect it to last for about a week or two, Texas is in the cupcake portion of their schedule and will drop in the computer polls as they face Baylor, Kansas Okie lite, and a$m.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mikey wrote:
Moorese wrote:
Van wrote:Harvdog and Moorese, you both know as well as I do that it's every bit a matter of when you beat a team as much as who you beat...
I was simply pointing out that in detailing Texas' conference accomplishments to date you omitted their defeat of CU, a quality opponent, which along with the win over Texas Tech may explain the switch in BCS position. I do expect that the Longhorn's remaining schedule which includes such powderpuffs as Baylor and Kansas will do damage that an A&M game and a conference championship game cannot remedy, effectively removing from them from the top BCS position in favor of a USC team with Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA remaining.
Don't forget Stanford (assuming SC gets past them in two weeks) which will be 5-2 and surely a top 20 team when SC plays them, after beating UCLA this coming weekend.
I just don't know why you don't get more board wide recognition for being the genuinely funny guy that you are.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Van wrote:Dr D, USC has Oregon, Cal and an undefeated UCLA on their conference schedule, and ASU was actually a ranked team before they fell apart following what USC did to them in the second half.

Texas has...what? Texas Tech? The team that built their rep by running up 80 on Sam Houston State and by beating another retarded Nebraska team?

Texas' two big conference wins came against a ruined OU team and an exposed paper tiger TT team, so how isn't the Big XII affiliation going to hurt Texas more than the Pac 10 affiliation will hurt USC?

More than likely none of this will matter though come season's end because USC will leapfrog right back past Texas after USC beats an undefeated, Top 6 team in the last game of the season.

Texas has nothing left on their schedule that can do anything but hurt them in the BCS, compared to the way Va Tech, Georgia, Bama, USC and UCLA will be able to help themselves from here on out...
Here is the problem with your logic
Ohio State will likely run the table and finish the regular season in the top 10. Texas Tech will likely run the table as well. I fully expect Colorado to also run the table until they get into the B12 title game and Texas puts their foot in their ass again. But by then Texas will have added another win against a top 20 team. It is conceivable that Tech at #15 could make it back into the top 10 by the end of the year and it is very likely that Ohio State will as well.

With that said I'm not worried cause Texas is much closer to #1 in the human polls then they are to #3 and it would basically take a meltdown for them to no be in the BCS title game. Texas has enough in the computer polls to stay ahead of the pack.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

If VaTech runs the table, they'll meet either Fredo or Florida State
Goddammit, who in the hell is "Fredo" (I assume it's Miami...) and how did they get that nic here??

Man, I HATE being out of the loop.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Vito wrote:Ohio State will likely run the table
Quite possible but by no means likely. They could lose any game they play and they still have Michigan to go, and that's always a toss up.

Basically, whichever team is doing better going into that game...pick the other team to win. As often as not that's how those two go...

Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Fredo is my son you asshole! :D
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yeah, I know that, but which team is "Fredo" and how'd they get that nic here?

Or, is "Fredo" this board's nic for Texas, as their sneering homage to you?

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

so does this mean Vito, Harv, and Prime are all tOSU fans from here on out? I mean it starts this weekend with the tilt against the Gophers...

can I get some Horn kharma for my beloved Buckeyes?

Fuck me running 10 points away from being #2 FUCK! :evil:
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

You have my Karma and since I'm in Minnesota it counts double.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:so does this mean Vito, Harv, and Prime are all tOSU fans from here on out? I mean it starts this weekend with the tilt against the Gophers...

Anytime.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:so does this mean Vito, Harv, and Prime are all tOSU fans from here on out? I mean it starts this weekend with the tilt against the Gophers...

You had me at hello.

Scored tickets to the Big Twelve Championship game at Reliant today. Lucked out and landed some nice Club seats.

Club seats = Only section beer is served. Most excellent! My vendor went blackout on World Series tickets but scored on 4th and 1 with the good news today. Lovin' it!
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

PrimeX wrote:

You had me at hello.

Scored tickets to the Big Twelve Championship game at Reliant today. Lucked out and landed some nice Club seats.

Club seats = Only section beer is served. Most excellent! My vendor went blackout on World Series tickets but scored on 4th and 1 with the good news today. Lovin' it!
I got the same deal. Section 325. PM me and we can have a beer.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Van wrote:They could lose any game they play and they still have Michigan to go, and that's always a toss up.
Yeah, that Illinois game will be a motherfucker, but fortunately it's in Columbus. No way tOSU wins in Champaign against that juggernaut.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

DrDetroit wrote:
The Seer wrote:
DrDetroit wrote: Go fuck yourself, Seer.

It's illiterates like you that bring debates to their lowest common denominator. Unlike you I am willing to listen to and consider the opinions of others, even if I disagree with them.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but anyone that wants to continue the foolishness in College football that is without a playoff system, needs periodic sanity checks, so check thyself...

And just to show you I AM able to dialogue in terms you can comprehend-

fuck and shit.
Didn't hurt my feelings, Vag-flap. That you feel compelled to even consider feelings on an anonymous message board really tells me all I need to know about you.

The current whining about college football is that the the current polling system doesn't render a true national champion. Yet, even with a playoff system, you must rely somewhat on polling. Hence, how the fuck does a playoff system resolve the problem.

Besides, who the fuck cares about a "true" national championship anyway. It's fuckheads like you who have contributed to the bullshit we have now. You people keep fucking it up for he rest of us who merely love to watch college football and actually debate with one another the advantages/disadvantages of the teams, their schedules, coaches, etc. to flesh out a season's best team.

My team is better than your team. My conference is stonger than your conference.

Yeah, stimulating dialogue. That's what you get every year. Much more reasonable than a playoff system. In fact, why not do away with March madness too? :roll:
E UNUM PLURIBUS
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

The Seer wrote:Yeah, stimulating dialogue. That's what you get every year. Much more reasonable than a playoff system. In fact, why not do away with March madness too? :roll:
Exactly.

Just look at how much better college basketball could be without all those boring, pesky playoffs getting in the way of all the exciting dialogue that could be had if we just had a bunch of voters and computers to determine which teams get to play in the championship game. Just imagine -- the two best teams could play in a championship game and all of the rest of the teams with winning records could play each other in the two weeks prior to the championship game, where "tradition," "pride" and "school spirit" can really be put on display. They could get sponsors for all the games and have CEOs for each sponsor talk about the tradition and excitement at halftime -- the FedEx Game in Miami, or the Tostitos Game in Phoenix, or the SBC Game in Dallas. College basketball would be enriched tremendously with tons of tradition and great dialogue. And I bet all the teams would play really hard in the corporate-sponsored games, too -- with team pride really on the line in the hope of winning a Tostitos or SBC game. Exciting!
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

USC has a couple of games yet that they could possibly lose; Texas has to somehow stay hungry against creampuffery, and faces a letdown-rife conference championship game. VaTech will probably lose to Miami.

Those rooting for chaos fan the flames with the fuel of the once-beatens.
Last edited by PSUFAN on Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

RadioFan wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Go Chaos!
That's where my vote is going as well. Cheering hard for that team, each and every week. :D

In fact, I'm not even going to watch the NFL anymore, with their fancy playoff games. There are just not enough "great discussions" when a champion is actually determined on the field. Outrageous and horrific.

The possibility is still there for 4 undefeated teams from BCS conferences when all is said and done. I don't want to see the teams themselves get screwed but I really want to see this system spit out the wrong matchup and have a couple of unbeatens left out in the cold.

I don't know how many times this thing has to fail for the presidents and ADs to get a clue. I would've abandoned college football all together if I wasn't such a huge Michigan fan. It's the worst ran major sport in the country. Love the game itself but it's the system that keeps it from being my favorite.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Moorese wrote:
I believe the switch had to do with the record of Texas' opponents being vastly superior to the record of USC's opponents, up to this point.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

Seer:
Yeah, stimulating dialogue. That's what you get every year. Much more reasonable than a playoff system. In fact, why not do away with March madness too?
This is the type of discussion you get with idiots. Unable to repeat ad nausea their single point, they're reduced to simply and blatantly misrepresenting the other person's point.

One the conversation never is merely, "My team is better than yours." You know better than that, but because you have your playoff blinders on you cannot reasonably discuss anything else.

Second, I don't think I suggested that the type of conversation you imitated was a substitute for a playoff system.

Third, you simply cannot implement a playoff system in college football that remotely resembles the college basketball system for many obvious reasons. Hence, you're left with polling which is what we already have.

So it's not a discussion of a playoff system versus what we have now or have had because a playoff system would rely on polling just as the current system has and similar to the polling done before the BCS. The debate is about whether the polling now is any better or worse than the polling necessary for a playoff system. The answer is an obvious "no."

So don't try to argue false choices, Seer.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

RadioFan wrote:
The Seer wrote:Yeah, stimulating dialogue. That's what you get every year. Much more reasonable than a playoff system. In fact, why not do away with March madness too? :roll:
Exactly.

Just look at how much better college basketball could be without all those boring, pesky playoffs getting in the way of all the exciting dialogue that could be had if we just had a bunch of voters and computers to determine which teams get to play in the championship game.
Just look at yet another idiot arguing with himself. False choice, much? Invalid comparison, much?
Just imagine -- the two best teams could play in a championship game and all of the rest of the teams with winning records could play each other in the two weeks prior to the championship game, where "tradition," "pride" and "school spirit" can really be put on display.

Two best teams....and who/what decides that? Polling, idiot, and that's where the discussion always ends up...hence a mere playoff will not settle it as the polling will still be there.

Try actually engaging the actual question...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Doc, rarely, if ever, has the controversy extended past the top four teams, so inaccuracies in the polling system would be moot in a four team playoff.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

The polls are always accurate relative to the top 4 teams? And in those seasons where you have several one-loss teams or even undefeated teams...then what?

Sorry, but the polling is the critical issue now and it will be in any playoff system....period.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

PSUFAN wrote:USC has a couple of games yet that they could possibly lose; Texas has to somehow stay hungry against creampuffery, and faces a letdown-rife conference championship game. VaTech will probably lose to Miami.

Those rooting for chaos fan the flames with the fuel of the once-beatens.
UCLA-USC is going to be a fun game to watch and could definitely change the BCS landscape.
Texas will have to hope the remaining schedule isn't to enough to fuck their chances.
Miami is going to be a tough game for VT. However, it is a Sat night game in Blackburg in November. Lane stadium is insane under these conditions. Personally, I am more worried about BC this Thurs than Miami.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

With a four team playoff, you risk controversy between the #4 and #5 teams, but it's definitely worth it. If the season were to end today and we went into a playoff, USC, Texas and Va Tech would all get a shot at the title. There's really no controversy beyond those top 3 as to who's the best, so as long as those three get a shot, the system would be LEGIT.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Vito Corleone wrote:
Killian wrote:The bigger problem could come in two weeks, if VaTech beats #14 BC and #7 Miami. At the same time, USC plays Washington State and Stanford. So it's possible that VaTech could jump into #2 in two weeks. If that did happen, I'm sure it would work it self out when USC plays Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA. But this is the problem with the BCS.
Never happen, the human polls still have USC #1 but the difference between #1 and #2 was only slight. The difference between #2 and #3 was huge. As long as USC is #1 in the human polls there is no way #3 will also jump them.

BTW I love it but I only expect it to last for about a week or two, Texas is in the cupcake portion of their schedule and will drop in the computer polls as they face Baylor, Kansas Okie lite, and a$m.
USC was #1 in both polls in 2003 and was left out of the BCS game so it isnt impossible.
The computers need to be completely taken out of the equation, in 2003 computer polls had Miami of Ohio ranked ahead of USC, on what planet would Miami of Ohio beaten USC on? You can not have unbiased computer polls when the data is inputed in to them by biased people at places like UCLA (which runs one of the computer polls)
At least human polls come with some sort of accountability, a programmer with an agenda can put what ever he wants in to his program and then say it was the computer that came out with the rating removing any blame he could take.
Playoffs will never work with current conference, division and scheduling set ups, until the NCAA is prepared to change everything all at once, these BCS tweaks are little more than a tampon stuck in to the side of a New Orleans levy and the cynic in me thinks they are only in place to create more controvery and discussion than give college football fans a true national champion
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

The only reason the polls are important is because no one has come up with a better way to find a champion.

If a playoff were put in that would take only the D1-A conference champions from BCS conferences then we would have a legit 6 team playoff. I don't want to hear any crap about Pac-10 and Big 10 having teams that don't face each other. They need to get a legit champion like everyone else. And sorry Notre Dame but join a conference or watch the playoffs on TV.

A six team tournament produces a 3 round playoff to crown a champion. I find it humerous that the NCAA will allow a 12 game but a playoff would make for too long of a season.

Our universities are a paradox in stupidity, they all pretty much preach liberal BS agenda while acting like a bunch of fascist dictators with the NCAA as their Gistapo.
Last edited by Vito Corleone on Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

DrDetroit wrote:The polls are always accurate relative to the top 4 teams? And in those seasons where you have several one-loss teams or even undefeated teams...then what?

Sorry, but the polling is the critical issue now and it will be in any playoff system....period.
Polls would only effect a playoff system if the playoff system was based off the current regular season system. What a playoff would need to work and cut itsself off from polls the NCAA will never have the balls to do
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote:

USC was #1 in both polls in 2003 and was left out of the BCS game so it isnt impossible.
The computers need to be completely taken out of the equation, in 2003 computer polls had Miami of Ohio ranked ahead of USC, on what planet would Miami of Ohio beaten USC on? You can not have unbiased computer polls when the data is inputed in to them by biased people at places like UCLA (which runs one of the computer polls)
At least human polls come with some sort of accountability, a programmer with an agenda can put what ever he wants in to his program and then say it was the computer that came out with the rating removing any blame he could take.
Playoffs will never work with current conference, division and scheduling set ups, until the NCAA is prepared to change everything all at once, these BCS tweaks are little more than a tampon stuck in to the side of a New Orleans levy and the cynic in me thinks they are only in place to create more controvery and discussion than give college football fans a true national champion
The weighting of the Polls were a lot different two years ago, today the polls heavily favor the human polls over the computer polls. Its going to be a next to impossible for #3 to jump #1
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Excellent News!!!!!!

We can now get away from those pesky, annoying Triple Crown races.

Finally, no Kentucky Derby, no Preakness, no Belmont....

[web]http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sp ... tstory.jsp[/web]
E UNUM PLURIBUS
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

DrDetroit wrote:Two best teams....and who/what decides that? Polling, idiot,
Sure it does.

Sincerely,

Div. 1AA, II and III.
and that's where the discussion always ends up...hence a mere playoff will not settle it as the polling will still be there.
This is quite possibly the dumbest fucking sentiment I've ever seen posted in this forum, but coming from you, it's really no surprise.

With a playoff system, involving 12-16 teams, any controversy of who gets in/doesn't get in would be minimal compared to a system in which a true champion is actually determined, on the field and not through some polling system that takes two out of three or four teams with the same record and similar schedule strengths.

And yeah, polling worked out pretty well in 2003. You apologists seem to forget that there was a spilt national champion despite the BCS. And how about a few years earlier, when Nebraska backed its way into the MNC after not even qualifying for its conference championship game?
Try actually engaging the actual question...
I have, many times before. If you'd get away from tossing GOP salad for a few minutes a day and start reading forums other than your own daily blog, you might have noticed.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Van wrote:
If VaTech runs the table, they'll meet either Fredo or Florida State
Goddammit, who in the hell is "Fredo" (I assume it's Miami...) and how did they get that nic here??

Man, I HATE being out of the loop.
Fredo is BC. A few ND fans came up with that one. I'm not exactly sure where they got it, but it's fun to call them that nonetheless. Killian and I sort of imported that nic from http://www.ndnation.com.

Nobody's ever asked that question before, so I assumed everyone either knew or was able to figure it out. Sorry.

Edit to add: Btw, Va Tech and Miami play in the same division in the ACC, so there's no way they can match up in the ACC championship game.
Last edited by Terry in Crapchester on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

I'm amazed that some of you guys have such energy for debating a playoff system.

It's so far from happening that I see no reason to even talk about it.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

Seer:
Excellent News!!!!!!

We can now get away from those pesky, annoying Triple Crown races.

Finally, no Kentucky Derby, no Preakness, no Belmont....

Pathetic...nice argument, 'tard. Any further invalid comparisons you wanna drop?

RF:
This is quite possibly the dumbest fucking sentiment I've ever seen posted in this forum, but coming from you, it's really no surprise.

Not surprised that you're totally closed-minded, though.
With a playoff system, involving 12-16 teams, any controversy of who gets in/doesn't get in would be minimal compared to a system in which a true champion is actually determined, on the field and not through some polling system that takes two out of three or four teams with the same record and similar schedule strengths.
The impracticality is obvious, idiot.

And, unlike you and many other fuckupsd, I don't reallt care about a "true" national champion. It simply cannot happen in college football without a fundamental change in how the game is perceived and scheduled. And it simply is not going to happen.
And yeah, polling worked out pretty well in 2003. You apologists seem to forget that there was a spilt national champion despite the BCS. And how about a few years earlier, when Nebraska backed its way into the MNC after not even qualifying for its conference championship game?
And here goes the dumbfuck, again, totally misrepresenting my posts....I am not defending the current system, asshole. get a fucking clue.
I have, many times before. If you'd get away from tossing GOP salad for a few minutes a day and start reading forums other than your own daily blog, you might have noticed.
:roll:
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I'm all for a Pac 10 - Big 10 Rose Bowl, but then I'm senile so never mind.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

DrDumbfuck wrote:Not surprised that you're totally closed-minded, though.
Oh, ok. I'm closed-minded because I favor a D-1 playoff. Gotcha.
DrDetroit wrote:And, unlike you and many other fuckupsd, I don't reallt care about a "true" national champion.
Obviously.
It simply cannot happen in college football without a fundamental change in how the game is perceived and scheduled. And it simply is not going to happen.
Right.

Sincerely,

Div. 1A, II and III
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

totally misrepresenting my posts....
oh dear. meltdown complete
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.