Texas #1 in BCS.......WTF???

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Texas #1 in BCS.......WTF???

Post by Cicero »

USC Drops

What a crock of shit. Thats the problem w/ computers. They dont know how to reason. I'm sure Pete Carroll is loving this.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

So you think it is undeniable that USC is the best team in the country. Personally I believe they are #1, but I don't think it is obvious by any stretch.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

WTF? NO WAY an undefeated team can get leapfrogged in the polls! This is a lie! A LIE, I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

The bigger problem could come in two weeks, if VaTech beats #14 BC and #7 Miami. At the same time, USC plays Washington State and Stanford. So it's possible that VaTech could jump into #2 in two weeks. If that did happen, I'm sure it would work it self out when USC plays Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA. But this is the problem with the BCS.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
SEC Ballsucking Homer
Meatgrinders 'R Us

Post by SEC Ballsucking Homer »

Where the hell is Vanderbilt on that list? 5 teams in the top 22. You can all blow me.

Pac 10, ACC, Big XII, Little 10 and Big East are all overrated.
There is no other conference.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

This demonstrates why it was always a stupid idea that last season's #1 stays on top until they lost...bullshit, new schedule, new season, new poll.

RACK Texas...USC is going to get hurt by the PAC-10, not helped.

And it will be interesting to see what happens should Va Tech run the table...Texas/Va Tech?? I'd rather see Taxes/USC, but...
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

That's why I say fuck the playoff system. It just doesn't make sense given the constraints, i.e., this is college football played by college students. Leave the idea behind. It will fail to satisfy those who demand a true national champion, anyway. No proposed playoff is without some type of polling.

Unlike many here, I don't have a hankering for a so-called "true" national champion. I am satisfied with great college football season and college bowl games and great discussions.

Fuck off college football snobs who demand a so-called "true" NC.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

SEC Ballsucking Homer wrote:Where the hell is Vanderbilt on that list? 5 teams in the top 22. You can all blow me.

Pac 10, ACC, Big XII, Little 10 and Big East are all overrated.

My new favorite troll..... :lol:
E UNUM PLURIBUS
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

DrDetroit wrote:That's why I say fuck the playoff system. It just doesn't make sense given the constraints, i.e., this is college football played by college students. Leave the idea behind. It will fail to satisfy those who demand a true national champion, anyway. No proposed playoff is without some type of polling.

Unlike many here, I don't have a hankering for a so-called "true" national champion. I am satisfied with great college football season and college bowl games and great discussions.

Please stay on Main St until you are able to extricate you head from your ass.....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

A bigger problem for USC or UT might be losing a football game. We should revisit this after the regular season (and conference championships) is complete.

After watching UT vs. OSU and SC vs. ND, I'm not ready to conclude that they are locks for the BCS title game. I need to see more.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

After watching the way my defense has played and the rate at which we're losing our defensive players, I'm with you PSU.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

DrDetroit wrote: RACK Texas...USC is going to get hurt by the PAC-10, not helped.
So, what are your opinions on the Big 12 this year? Do you think Texas will be helped, or hurt by the rest of the teams?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Dr D, USC has Oregon, Cal and an undefeated UCLA on their conference schedule, and ASU was actually a ranked team before they fell apart following what USC did to them in the second half.

Texas has...what? Texas Tech? The team that built their rep by running up 80 on Sam Houston State and by beating another retarded Nebraska team?

Texas' two big conference wins came against a ruined OU team and an exposed paper tiger TT team, so how isn't the Big XII affiliation going to hurt Texas more than the Pac 10 affiliation will hurt USC?

More than likely none of this will matter though come season's end because USC will leapfrog right back past Texas after USC beats an undefeated, Top 6 team in the last game of the season.

Texas has nothing left on their schedule that can do anything but hurt them in the BCS, compared to the way Va Tech, Georgia, Bama, USC and UCLA will be able to help themselves from here on out...
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

The Seer wrote:
DrDetroit wrote:That's why I say fuck the playoff system. It just doesn't make sense given the constraints, i.e., this is college football played by college students. Leave the idea behind. It will fail to satisfy those who demand a true national champion, anyway. No proposed playoff is without some type of polling.

Please stay on Main St until you are able to extricate you head from your ass.....
Go fuck yourself, Seer.

It's illiterates like you that bring debates to their lowest common denominator. Unlike you I am willing to listen to and consider the opinions of others, even if I disagree with them. You, on the other hand, are a knee-jerk reactionary tard incapable of discerning degrees of arguments.

Now fuck off.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

Killian wrote:
DrDetroit wrote: RACK Texas...USC is going to get hurt by the PAC-10, not helped.
So, what are your opinions on the Big 12 this year? Do you think Texas will be helped, or hurt by the rest of the teams?
Taking only the BCS rankings, it looks like the Big 12 would hurt Texas more than the PAC-10 would hurt USC.

I can see Texas jumping USC this week given Texas' win over TT given USC major struggles recently.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

Van wrote:Dr D, USC has Oregon, Cal and an undefeated UCLA on their conference schedule, and ASU was actually a ranked team before they fell apart following what USC did to them in the second half.
I don't think I was suggesting that the Big 12 was the better overall conference or otherwise, was I?
More than likely none of this will matter though come season's end because USC will leapfrog right back past Texas after USC beats an undefeated, Top 6 team in the last game of the season.
And that wouldn't surprise me.
Texas has nothing left on their schedule that can do anything but hurt them in the BCS, compared to the way Va Tech, Georgia, Bama, USC and UCLA will be able to help themselves from here on out...
Okay...doesn't change the fact that I'd rather see Texas/USC.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Doc, okay, cool, we're on the same page.

Still, you did say this...
RACK Texas...USC is going to get hurt by the PAC-10, not helped.
...which is clearly incorrect since the Pac 10 affiliation will in fact help USC leapfrog back past Texas, whose Big XII affiliation will prove to be a boat anchor.

Whether the BCS will ultimately leapfrog an undefeated ACC or SEC winner over Texas obviously remains to be seen but I do know it'd sure be difficult to build a case for Texas over a Va Tech team coming off a big win over a much more impressive Miami team or a Georgia team that runs the table in the SEC, including a couple of late season wins over Top 10 teams, plus a possible win over an undefeated Top 5 team.

At that point Texas could only get in on perception; the notion that they're just that good. Otherwise, once the BCS 'puters become involved, there's no way any reasonable person could look at Texas' conference schedule and even begin to make any favorable comparisons to an undefeated Va Tech's or Georgia's...

Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

I tend to agree with you, Van, regarding the likelihood that USC will leap back over Texas in the BCS by year's end, but you should consider Colorado as a quality bested opponent and a future Big 12 Championship game when evaluating the Longhorns' chances of winding up in one of the top 2 spots.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

All that...and the fact that t.u. also beat Ohio St. which some seem to be forgetting.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

DrDetroit wrote:given USC major struggles recently.

link?

we are talking football right?
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

...which is clearly incorrect since the Pac 10 affiliation will in fact help USC leapfrog back past Texas, whose Big XII affiliation will prove to be a boat anchor.
Not clearly incorrect. I merely indicated that I wouldn't be surprised. So while I would not be surprised that USC would jump Texas later on by beating a ranked team, I think that the the Big 12 chanpionship game will temper that and make it real close.
At that point Texas could only get in on perception; the notion that they're just that good.
And this is where strength of schedule fails us. I do think that Texas is just that good despite the fact that their conference schedule is obviously weaker than the SEC and marginally worse than the PAC-10. It should be about perception and what teams we think are the best and why. The computers simply reduce it to numbers despite the fact that the game is a product of human decisionmaking.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Sirfindavan,

Nice out.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Really, it's a virtual tie at the top spot. Who really GARA at this point?

VaTec fell further behind this week.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

VT deserves to fall behind. If they continue playing the way they have played the past couple weeks, then either BC or Miami will remove an undefeated team from the equation.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

DrDetroit wrote:
The Seer wrote:

Go fuck yourself, Seer.

It's illiterates like you that bring debates to their lowest common denominator. Unlike you I am willing to listen to and consider the opinions of others, even if I disagree with them.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but anyone that wants to continue the foolishness in College football that is without a playoff system, needs periodic sanity checks, so check thyself...

And just to show you I AM able to dialogue in terms you can comprehend-

fuck and shit.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Van wrote: At that point Texas could only get in on perception; the notion that they're just that good. Otherwise, once the BCS 'puters become involved, there's no way any reasonable person could look at Texas' conference schedule and even begin to make any favorable comparisons to an undefeated Va Tech's or Georgia's...
Please. Texas played 2 team that were in the Top 10 during the saeson and beat both. They also beat Colorado that was a Top 25 team when they came to Austin for their beating. We also beat a pretty good Missouri team at their crib by 30 points. When we play the Big XII championship game in December whoever represents the north will be ranked. That would be 5 wins over ranked teams. VT has played 1 team all year. They beat West Virigina who wasn't even ranked when they played. They still play BC and Miami. That is a total of 3 ranked teams now. 1 is a Top 10 team as we speak. 2 are Top 20. We have allready been over the fact that VT's opponents have a combined record of 23-25. Texas has a combined record of 27-20. If you look at future opponents and look they add up to 42-33 for Texas and 41-33 for VT.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Go Chaos! :lol:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Harvdog speaketh with much wisdom and knowledge. Texas IS just that good, and will handily kick the snot out of usc come january.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Shoalzie wrote:Go Chaos!
That's where my vote is going as well. Cheering hard for that team, each and every week. :D

In fact, I'm not even going to watch the NFL anymore, with their fancy playoff games. There are just not enough "great discussions" when a champion is actually determined on the field. Outrageous and horrific.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Harvdog and Moorese, you both know as well as I do that it's every bit a matter of when you beat a team as much as who you beat...

By season's end none of UT's victories will look very impressive (very possibly including their win over Ohio State, who may have three or more losses by season's end) and a second stomping of Colorado in the conference championship game will only further enhance the perception that there's simply nobody in the Big XII.

Meanwhile, Va Tech is nipping at everybody's heels and should they look very impressive late in the year against a well regarded Miami team that's only one FG away from being undefeated, well, Va Tech will almost certainly become CF's eastern establishment media darlings.

Seriously. Frank Beamer, the lovable small market galloot with the spare football attached to his neck...

...or Mack Brown? Mack Brown, the guy vilified across the land for campaigning in the media like a whore last season.

Then there's Mark Richt in the SEC, aka, CF Mecca, or, god forbid, a resurgent and undefeated Bama. (You don't think the spectre of Roll Tide Nation braying from every mountaintop about their undefeated season wouldn't carry a lot of sway?)

After the last two season's debacles with OU, and with last year's nightmare coming at the expense of an undefeated SEC team, I think it's going to be very difficult for TPTB to choose yet another Big XII team over an equally worthy SEC team.

Texas probably is better than Georgia or Va Tech but by season's end I could easily see them fighting an uphill battle against not just the 'puter's S.O.S. but also so many of these perception issues.

Texas's one saving grace? Most of the media will be clamoring for USC/Texas.

USC/Va Tech or USC/Georgia simply doesn't fire the imagination the way USC/Texas does, plus I also suspect there's more than a few coaches and media types out there who'd thoroughly enjoy seeing Mack Brown getting his head handed to him in yet another true showdown game.

"Be careful what you ask for, etc..."

Again, hopefully they'll all end up undefeated so the chaos will grow and we'll be that much closer to some sort of playoff system.

Better yet, imagine the insanity if each of the current undefeateds should lose a game before it's time to chose the title game participants. How on earth would anyone be able to choose between a late season loss Texas, Georgia, Va Tech, Bama, UCLA, etc, while also factoring in other one loss teams such as Miami?

Glorious clusterfuck, that'd be...

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

OU, last season, the same OU team that shut out what's essentially the exact same Texas team (only minus Cedric Benson) this season, wrote:Harvdog speaketh with much wisdom and knowledge. Texas IS just that good, and will handily kick the snot out of usc come january.

Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Van wrote: ...or Mack Brown? Mack Brown, the guy vilified across the land for campaigning in the media like a whore last season.
The only people who complained were Cal fans. Their crybaby little bitch QB Erin Rodgers gets on TV and says that Texas didn't deserve to be there and that they would kill Tech. They lost by14 to a team we beat by 30 at their home field.

Mack did what any coach would do. He told the world that Texas deserved to be in the BCS. Would you rather him say ,"That's a tough question, I know we just beat A&M and are 10-1, fuck no we don't deserve to go to the Rose Bowl, please send us to San Diego to play in the Holiday Bowl or to Dallas to play in the Cotton Bowl. Please we lost 1 game to the #2 team in the nation, please don't reward these kids that beat 7 Top 25 teams during the year. Please allow Cal to go. They played 3 Top 25 teams and went 10-1. They deserve it more than we do."

If that is why you want to crack on Mack, then so be it. But after this year there will be no more Mack can't win the big one.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Harvdog wrote:If you look at future opponents and look they add up to 42-33 for Texas and 41-33 for VT.
If that is the case, then there is an argument for VT's spot in the Rose Bowl and the potential for controversy at the end of the season if both teams remain undefeated.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Harvdog, much of the media came down on Mack last year for the campaigning incident. Sports Talk all over the nation was all over that guy for awhile there, it wasn't just Cal Fan...

Every year there are coaches who are faced with the same situation in which Brown found himself last year but in recent memory only Brown was roundly criticized for lobbying in that manner.

It was very unseemly, to a lot of people.

There's also a lot of people who don't understand how the Big XII keeps winning out in these close BCS decisions and those people would especially like to finally see the Big XII being the one who has to take the pipe come "election day"...

Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Van wrote:Harvdog, much of the media came down on Mack last year for the campaigning incident. Sports Talk all over the nation was all over that guy for awhile there, it wasn't just Cal Fan...

Every year there are coaches who are faced with the same situation in which Brown found himself last year but in recent memory only Brown was roundly criticized for lobbying in that manner.

It was very unseemly, to a lot of people.

There's also a lot of people who don't understand how the Big XII keeps winning out in these close BCS decisions and those people would especially like to finally see the Big XII being the one who has to take the pipe come "election day"...
Then any coach who would not stand behind his team isn't worth the mess his mama made on the bed. He stood up and told America that his team belonged.

I don't remeber much complaining from all over the country. I travel quite a bit and listen to sports talk all over america and I only heard complaints coming from Jeff Tedford and Erin McQuinn.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Besides, if the Hokies make it, then the media can finally devote the time to solve the mystery of the lump of buttcheek on Frank Beamer's neck. It would be a feel good story for all.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

88 wrote:
stuckinia wrote:Besides, if the Hokies make it, then the media can finally devote the time to solve the mystery of the lump of buttcheek on Frank Beamer's neck. It would be a feel good story for all.
He was burned in a fire as a child.
I know. Just providing more evidence for why VT should be in the Rose Bowl instead of Texas. More compelling coach stories.
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Van wrote:Harvdog and Moorese, you both know as well as I do that it's every bit a matter of when you beat a team as much as who you beat...
I was simply pointing out that in detailing Texas' conference accomplishments to date you omitted their defeat of CU, a quality opponent, which along with the win over Texas Tech may explain the switch in BCS position. I do expect that the Longhorn's remaining schedule which includes such powderpuffs as Baylor and Kansas will do damage that an A&M game and a conference championship game cannot remedy, effectively removing from them from the top BCS position in favor of a USC team with Cal, Fresno State, and UCLA remaining.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

The Seer wrote:
DrDetroit wrote:
The Seer wrote:

Go fuck yourself, Seer.

It's illiterates like you that bring debates to their lowest common denominator. Unlike you I am willing to listen to and consider the opinions of others, even if I disagree with them.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but anyone that wants to continue the foolishness in College football that is without a playoff system, needs periodic sanity checks, so check thyself...

And just to show you I AM able to dialogue in terms you can comprehend-

fuck and shit.
Didn't hurt my feelings, Vag-flap. That you feel compelled to even consider feelings on an anonymous message board really tells me all I need to know about you.

The current whining about college football is that the the current polling system doesn't render a true national champion. Yet, even with a playoff system, you must rely somewhat on polling. Hence, how the fuck does a playoff system resolve the problem.

Besides, who the fuck cares about a "true" national championship anyway. It's fuckheads like you who have contributed to the bullshit we have now. You people keep fucking it up for he rest of us who merely love to watch college football and actually debate with one another the advantages/disadvantages of the teams, their schedules, coaches, etc. to flesh out a season's best team.