Jay Duck, get in here!

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Jay Duck, get in here!

Post by Left Seater »

First off let me give you props for this quote if you actually went to look it up. No props if you are just cutting and pasting from another site. More college football fans need to get into the rule book to better understand the rules.

That having been said, do you have a shot of #21 at the snap of the ball? This play was brought up with the same picture on a couple of officials boards early this morning, but two Oregon officials shot it down saying that #21 wasn't directly behind the QB. One said he shifted to a position outside the tackle and the other had him in motion. Either of those would have made him illegal to block low which your picture clearly shows him ready to do.

Further, I have heard no comment from the PAC10 saying this was a call their office was going to review as is the norm when coaches complain.

Finally, if dude was lined up outside or in motion and he blocks low even just after the TD it would still be considered a live ball foul and the down would have been replayed.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Actually am waiting on a tape of the game to be delivered from a buddy. It very well could be at the house, but seeing as how I am in Waco...

I thought I still had the game on TiVo, but such wasn't the case. NFL got recorded over the game. As soon as I get the tape, you will have an answer.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

I have had the opportunity to review all the disputed calls that were ever made in a game that was completed.

After careful consideration, I have decided that the outcome will not be changed...

Sincerely,

Fate.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

There was some chatter on the Bruins board re: that play. Apparently, the cameras did not show an obvious holding penalty prior to the interception....The holding post-interception was quite obvious, but NOT the play that the refs called....If I can get more info on that (and I will check the back pages), I will let you know....

Agree that the call was a coffin nail....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I have the game on TIVO. I'll get a pic of it in the next couple days.

According to the register guard today, Coach Bellotti is sending the tape in for an explanation.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Re: Jay Duck, get in here!

Post by GreginPG »

Left Seater wrote:First off let me give you props for this quote if you actually went to look it up. No props if you are just cutting and pasting from another site. More college football fans need to get into the rule book to better understand the rules.

That having been said, do you have a shot of #21 at the snap of the ball? This play was brought up with the same picture on a couple of officials boards early this morning, but two Oregon officials shot it down saying that #21 wasn't directly behind the QB. One said he shifted to a position outside the tackle and the other had him in motion. Either of those would have made him illegal to block low which your picture clearly shows him ready to do.

Further, I have heard no comment from the PAC10 saying this was a call their office was going to review as is the norm when coaches complain.

Finally, if dude was lined up outside or in motion and he blocks low even just after the TD it would still be considered a live ball foul and the down would have been replayed.
Dude (#21, Jackson) wasn't lined up behind the QB. He was to the QB's right. The handoff was faked to #21 who then went to left side, the side Colvin was coming to after he received the flip. Jackson didn't need to block anyone at all and just needed to stay out of Colvin's way. It was a dumb mistake.
FIGHT ON!
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Re: Jay Duck, get in here!

Post by JayDuck »

GreginPG wrote:
Left Seater wrote:First off let me give you props for this quote if you actually went to look it up. No props if you are just cutting and pasting from another site. More college football fans need to get into the rule book to better understand the rules.

Dude (#21, Jackson) wasn't lined up behind the QB. He was to the QB's right. The handoff was faked to #21 who then went to left side, the side Colvin was coming to after he received the flip. Jackson didn't need to block anyone at all and just needed to stay out of Colvin's way. It was a dumb mistake.
I just watched it again. Jackson was lined up as a back. You are right that he wasn't lined up behind the QB, but he was lined up behind the tackle...as the rule states:
Backs at the snap positioned with the frame of their body completely outside the frame of the body of the normal tackle (second player from the snapper)
You are also right that he didn't need to make the block, as Colvin was already in the endzone, but that is beside the point. It was a legal block.

I'll put it on DVD and snap a picture at work for you and Lefty
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

JayDuck, I have it on Tivo. He may have even been behind the tackle. I disagree somewhat on your statement basically saying that 'he didn't need to make the block, as Colvin was already in the endzone' being beside the point. Legal block or not, why even chance it? Why even give the refs a reason to throw a flag, especially since the block wasn't needed? Really there wasn't a player within 5 yards of Colvin. It's still a stupid play and it cost OU a touchdown.
FIGHT ON!
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Well, one he's a freshman and two, that's how you are taught to block as a 5'9 running back. It wasn't anything to risk in his mind, as he was just making a legal block. You see players continue to block as players are going to the endzone on nearly every touchdown. You don't quit until the whistile blows.

You expect the refs to know the rules.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

You expect the refs to know the rules.
You might want to back away from that statement Jay. We know the rules much better than the coaches, players, TV broadcasters, and certainly the fans.

Further, you restated where #21 was lined up at the snap. Earlier you were positive that he was directly behind the QB. Now after watching it again you say he is behind the tackle. Many things play into the "normal" tackle term in the rule. The offense could have been in wide splits, and as such even if the back is lined up behind the tackle in that formation, the tackle may not be in a normal position.

The bottom line is this: the refs know the rules and unless an endzone shot clearly shows #21 inside of the "normal" tackle position the call was prolly the correct one. The pic you pasted clearly showed #21 about to block low.

I hope we can see a pic from the endzone as that would put this whole thing to rest.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

My appologies to the refereeing community, Lefty. But, you have to at least have some opinion on the fact that Pac-10 officials seem to be among the most criticized in college football.

I will get that picture for ya, and If it turns out that it was the correct call, I will happily back off of any statements made about the refs. It will then just make me think that our coaches are even more inept and that they fail to understand how to teach or set up our own offense correctly.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Jay, I don't mean to say that we as officials don't make mistakes. Not a single one of us has ever worked a perfect game. But to say something along the lines of "you expect the refs to know the rules" is just crazy.

For what it is worth I would rank the Pac10 officials ahead of the SEC officials any day. On the flip side the best officials as a whole are in the Big11 and Big XII.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Left Seater wrote: For what it is worth I would rank the Pac10 officials ahead of the SEC officials any day. On the flip side the best officials as a whole are in the Big11 and Big XII.
And the Big 11 get criticized on TV, the radio, in the papers, on Big 11 boards and on ND boards which just goes to show you that the average fan doesn't know dick about officiating.

Trust me on this Jay, I think I have a pretty good grasp on the rules for a layman, but when I met Lefty and his buddy, it was like listening to a conversation between two auto mechanics when you think you know a lot about cars.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK