Legalization of Marijuana?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Should Marijuana be legalized?

Legalize with restrictions as in Cigs, ect.
71%
Legalize for medical purposes
No votes
Maintain current criminal standards
29%

Total votes: 21

Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Bacefelice wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:Booze has destroyed countless lives. They don't stop selling that.

It's a simple fact, some people can deal with it and enjoy themselves responsibly and some people cannot. For those that cannot, they would be wise to abstain.

I don't see the difference between weed and booze in this matter.
my position exactly. only reason the two vices don't have the same status is beer's lobby.
No.

It is because our country was founded by guys hanging out in taverns, not a bunch of potheads.

And stick your "theocracy" crap up your ass, B_Simp.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Diogenes wrote:And stick your "theocracy" crap up your ass, B_Simp.
I'm sure that would turn a closeted fuck like you on to no end.

Last American liberal my fuckin ass.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Diogenes wrote:It is because our country was founded by guys hanging out in taverns, not a bunch of potheads.
Didn't Washington, Jefferson and some of the other founders have a toke now and again?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Diogenes wrote:
Bacefelice wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:Booze has destroyed countless lives. They don't stop selling that.

It's a simple fact, some people can deal with it and enjoy themselves responsibly and some people cannot. For those that cannot, they would be wise to abstain.

I don't see the difference between weed and booze in this matter.
my position exactly. only reason the two vices don't have the same status is beer's lobby.
No.

It is because our country was founded by guys hanging out in taverns, not a bunch of potheads.

And stick your "theocracy" crap up your ass, B_Simp.
Incorrect. Either I must assume that you are just uneducated on the matter or simply being dishonest.

For starters the reason alchohal was so prevailant was that it was easily stored and saved without having to worry much about the spread of germs and spores. Refrigerators did not exsist at the time ;)

Secondly of the 39 signers of the United States Constitution 14 of them grew and/or smoked pot/hemp/cannibus. Including:

William S. Johnson - President of Colombia College

Gunning Bedford - who was the first Federal Judge in Deleware.

John Dickinson - A man so well respected by Thomas Jefferson that it led him to comment after his death in 1808 that America had lost its greatest patriot.

Daniel Carroll - Who was also one of the surveyors of Washington D.C. under the appointment of George Washington.

And ofcourse last but not least to be mentioned here George Washington, the First President of the United States.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Legalize it and let people grow their own. If people were to realize how easy and inexpensive it is to grow the criminal element will dry up overnight.

Personally I really don't like getting stoned but i'm not going to begrudge someone who does.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Martyred wrote:The 'compelling interest' is naional security.

As in, denying terrorist the revenue from drug trafficking sales they would use to wage terror campaigns and buy WMD's.
Tom in VA is right. The only revenue terrorists get from illegal drugs is from opium & coca- and only then because prohibition keeps the prices high

As far as the half-empty prisons- sounds like a great place to put illegal aliens while they wait to be deported.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

It seems that some folks will always seek intoxicants of some kind or another.

Add to that the prominence that automobiles hold in our society, and we have a bit of a problem. Regulation can have an effect on the overall numbers...when seat belt laws were passed, and when drinking ages were raised, the fact is that less people died in vehicles overall...and that's why there is support for those things.

I agree with Lefty that being stoned can easily impair you as a driver. I also agree with those who want to recognize some of the positives of hemp cultivation (basically unassailable) and of medicinal usage of weed (possible).

I am for the legalization and regulation of weed, if i had to choose. I don't like smoking it - it doesn't agree with me - but I think that this should be explored. As has been said...it's not hard to get your hands on it.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Cuda wrote:
Martyred wrote:The 'compelling interest' is naional security.

As in, denying terrorist the revenue from drug trafficking sales they would use to wage terror campaigns and buy WMD's.
Tom in VA is right. The only revenue terrorists get from illegal drugs is from opium & coca- and only then because prohibition keeps the prices high

As far as the half-empty prisons- sounds like a great place to put illegal aliens while they wait to be deported.
Why can't Al Queda make a buck selling bud, and then turn around and give the money to buy suicide belts?

Marijuana is big business, big money.

Like I said, your selfish interests turn the lot of you into bong-hitting Larouche-ites.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Why can't Al Queda make a buck selling bud, and then turn around and give the money to buy suicide belts?
sincerely, the Taliban
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

mvscal wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:Secondly of the 39 signers of the United States Constitution 14 of them grew and/or smoked pot/hemp/cannibus. Including:
For rope. Not quite the same thing.
Wrong answer. George Washington's death of pnemonia was directly related to his smoking both of tobbaco and pot. If you have ever been to Monticello in Virginia you can see where Thomas Jefferson used to store his stash. They did use it for rope but for you to tell yourself that is what they were exclusivly using it for when its been shown that the majority of the plants they were growing were not hemp rope grade. That puts a bit of a damper on your argument.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Couple of points regarding pot:

1. You cannot OD on it. PERIOD. You could smoke 10 pounds of pot and all you'll get is a really bad headache. Try drinking 10 gallons of alcohol and see what happens to you. And yet which is legal?

2. The history of why pot is illegal is pretty interesting. It's all based on fear and money - go figure.

Marijuana was listed in the United States Pharmacopeia from 1850 until 1942 and was prescribed for various conditions including labor pains, nausea, and rheumatism. Its use as an intoxicant was also commonplace from the 1850s to the 1930s. A campaign conducted in the 1930s by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Narcotics (now the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs) sought to portray marijuana as a powerful, addicting substance that would lead users into narcotics addiction.
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0859487.html

You can also read about the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 here:
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hem ... taxact.htm

3. The medical community is in the process of studying pot and its health affects. Some of the early experiments done in the 1930's were rediculous and performed in a way that made marijuana look worse than it was. One example was researchers injecting straight THC into a dog's brain (the dog died as a result) to show it was lethal. Ah, dumbasses... if you inject straight oxygen or water into a dog's brain, he'll die too! Does that mean we should make oxygen and water illegal too? Stupid.

I'm all for legalizing pot and regulating it like alcohol.
Tom In VA wrote:I believe that weed is a plant. I believe it can be taxed and revnue earned from it's sale. I believe money can be saved by decriminalizing it. I also believe that just like booze, some people can handle it, some people cannot. The people that cannot will have to choose to suffer the consequences of their choices just like those that cannot handle booze.
RACK Tom