Clemens

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Jack
enigma

Clemens

Post by Jack »

Astros manage no runs, seven hits for Clemens

It was the eighth time in Clemens' 27 starts this season the Astros were shut out, and the fifth time by a 1-0 score -- including three games that went extra innings.

Clemens is 11-6 with an ERA of 1.51 and 167 K's.

He is worthy of the Cy Young IMO but will probably not get it because his team can't hit their way out of a paper bag!!

Chris Carpenter will most likely get the Cy this year. Dontrelle has an outside shot but Clemens is worthy of an 8th Cy Young and the only reason he won't get it is his piss poor offensively challenged team...
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

I disagree. That ERA is unbelievable. also the fact he is 43 and pitching like he was 23.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
RSoxFan
Elwood

Post by RSoxFan »

How many wins a pitcher gets in a season is so overrated. Clemens deserves the Cy Young Award.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

RSoxFan wrote:How many wins a pitcher gets in a season is so overrated.

It would've helped me.

Sincerely,
Randy Johnson in 2004
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Dude has enough, and this year Carpenter deserves it. He atleast fields a competitive team behind him AND the guy is a bonafide stud on the mound.

Jake Peavy will be the CY 2006. Just a FYI because I am smart.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Dontrelle is 18-8 with a 2.61 ERA with 130 K, 6 CG and 5 Shut Outs.

Carpenter is 18-4 with a 2.34 ERA with 178 K, 6CG and 4 Shut outs. Carpenter has gone at least eight innings in 11 of his last 13 starts.
He has won 10 straight decisions.

Clemens has pitched only 1 CG and has no shutouts.

All 3 are great. Carpenter is the best.

The Cy Young Award was Commissioner Ford Frick's idea to honor the best pitcher in Major League Baseball. Hard lessons were learned by the Chalmers Award earlier in history so the recipients of the Cy Young Award were selected by the Baseball Writers Association of America from the beginning. Note: During the first eleven (11) years (1956 - 1966), only one winner from each league was selected. Immediately after Commissioner Frick retired, the rules were changed to honor the best pitcher from each league.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

The Assassin wrote:also the fact he is 43 and pitching like he was 23.
not a factor in deciding the best pitcher.
why is my neighborhood on fire
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Stro fan says:

Carpenter
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Jack wrote: Clemens has pitched only 1 CG and has no shutouts.
But how many of those games did he leave in the 7th inning without allowing a run, in order to bring in a pinch hitter to try to inject a spark into the flacid lineup?

Regardless... the name "Cy Young" is synonymous with total wins, so Carpenter still gets the nod... but Clemens' season offers a far better argument than any fucking relief pitcher's season ever did.
Nope. Not dead.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Carpenter deserves it. I want to see Clemens take a piss test on live TV.
4 king guy
Elwood

Post by 4 king guy »

Cicero wrote:Carpenter deserves it. I want to see Clemens take a piss test on live TV.
Sounds a little gax to me!!

Do you really want to see Clemens take a piss??

http://www.Clemensfetishes.com
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

The Cy Young is awarded to the best pitcher in each league, not necessarily the pitcher with the best record on the best team.

This is just one man's opinion but considering ERA, average against, slugging % and OPS (all of which Clemens has a considerable advantage over Carpenter), it's should be Clemens. He shouldn't be penalized for the fact that the Astros' offense totally sucks and sucks even more whenever he pitches. If Clemens pitched for the Cards, he'd probably be 22-2 right now and there would be no discussion. If Carpenter pitched for the Astros and got Clemens' run support, he'd be a .500 pitcher.

Nothing against Carpenter but Clemens is having a freak season.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Shoalzie wrote:

It would've helped me.

Sincerely,
Randy Johnson in 2004
I felt that Johnson deserved it in '04.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Rack Fu wrote:

He shouldn't be penalized for the fact that the Astros' offense totally sucks and sucks even more whenever he pitches.

Ultimately irrelvant

If Clemens pitched for the Cards,

He doesn't

he'd probably be 22-2 right now

He's not

and there would be no discussion.

What discussion? Carpenter is the Cy Young winner this year.

If Carpenter pitched for the Astros

He doesn't

and got Clemens' run support,

He doesn't :x

he'd be a .500 pitcher.

He's not

Absolutely. And he would be the first to tell you that Carpenter should win.
Nolan Ryan was similarly (by comparison to the league in that year) dominant in 1987. Unbelievable numbers. INCREDIBLE numbers. Except for the 8-16 record. :lol:

Clemens should have won it last year and did. This year, the Astros have a losing record when he takes the mound. Just like the D'Backs had last year when R.J. took the mound. You play the game to win. You take the mound to win. Not make stats. Johnson shouldn't have been in the top 5 for Cy last year, just like Clemens shouldn't be this year. The team is not winning when he takes the mound. Period. The only real discussion is how much should Dontrelle be considered against Carpenter.

Sin-
Just an Honest Strofan
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

You take the mound to win but awards are basically given for statistical accomplishments. You'd be kidding yourself if you thought otherwise.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Rack Fu wrote:If Carpenter pitched for the Astros and got Clemens' run support, he'd be a .500 pitcher.
What is the difference in ERA between these two pitchers? Is that difference so great that the win totals would be different?

Nothing against Clemens but so is Carpenter. Go ahead and put the stats next to each other.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Rack Fu wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:

It would've helped me.

Sincerely,
Randy Johnson in 2004
I felt that Johnson deserved it in '04.

RACK you...I'm glad I wasn't the only one.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

My pick goes to Carpenter...he's having a Santana-like season. Clemens is a freak of nature but it's hard to overlook Carpenter's performance.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

My quick stab at a run-support-neutral analysis puts Carpenter at 18-5 and Clemens at 14-3. Too close to call, really. The Cardinals have scored 143 runs in Carpenter's starts; the Astros have scored 90 in Clemens'.

http://runsupportindex.blogspot.com/ for methods, etc.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

The Assassin wrote:I disagree. That ERA is unbelievable. also the fact he is 43 and pitching like he was 23.
The ERA is great but pitching like you are 23 doesn't mean shit. There are no consideration points for age in voting...simply performance.

Still, as much as I don't like him, he has done an amazing job and his team should feel ashamed.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Rack Fu wrote:You take the mound to win but awards are basically given for statistical accomplishments. You'd be kidding yourself if you thought otherwise.
I'm not kidding myself and that is way too broad a statement. The statistical accomplishments are and always will be tempered by Scoreboard. The number one STAT used to determine Cy Young is, always has been, and always will be WINS. ERA and Ks factor heavily but wins is always #1.

Shoalz, I'm being consistent here. You have no choice but to back Clemens this year in light of your cognitively challenged efforts at defending R.J. last year. Be consistent, dude. There are better arguments for Clemens this year than there were for Johnson last year.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:If Carpenter pitched for the Astros and got Clemens' run support, he'd be a .500 pitcher.
What is the difference in ERA between these two pitchers? Is that difference so great that the win totals would be different?

Nothing against Clemens but so is Carpenter. Go ahead and put the stats next to each other.
ERA:
Clemens 1.51
Carpenter 2.29

K/9:
Clemens 8.15
Carpenter 8.07

WHIP:
Clemens .92
Carpenter .98

BAA:
Clemens .184
Carpenter .214

OPS:
Clemens .502
Carpenter .579

Slugging %:
Clemens .262
Carpenter .324
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

IP
Clemens 184.1
Carpenter 204

CG
Clemens 1
Carpenter 6

SHO
Clemens 0
Carpenter 4

Nice to know that you can give your bullpen a break every now & then with Carpenter.

And then, the final scobode...

WINS
Clemens 11
Carpenter 19
Nope. Not dead.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Hey, dude is 43... gotta cut him some slack in the endurance department. :P
UcantSpellCarlosLeeStyle!

Post by UcantSpellCarlosLeeStyle! »

rozy wrote:The number one STAT used to determine Cy Young is, always has been, and always will be WINS.

RACK!!!

Sin,
Bob fucking Welch??

Sorry FU, rozy is right. Clemens already lost one CY with arguably better stats.
Turdmaker
Jake

Post by Turdmaker »

Simply, Clemens will not win enough games this year because of his team's horseshit offense. Carpenter can't sniff his jock, let alone wear it, but he'll win the CY unless he turns to shit or Dontrelle Willis strings together an incredible run which he's capable of doing.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Clemens vs. Carpenter straight up tonight.

Funny thing is Dontrelle still may have plenty to say on this subject.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Carp got the best out of that matchup....it's a shame Klemens tore a hangnail or whatever.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Stros fan checking in.

Carpenter will win and deserves it. I don't have the numbers handy, but I would be willing to bet that most of Carpenter's ERA comes in the 6th, 7th or 8th innings.

If Clemens had the same record and all other stats the same as well except for his IP equaled Carpenter's, then I would say he deserves the Cy. However, he leaves in the 6th or 7th every game.

If I were Clemens, I'd blame the GM. The Astros did NOTHING to attempt to fill the holes left by Kent and Beltran nor have they done ANYTHING to fill 1B the last 3 years that Bagwell's arm was hanging on by nothing more than a torn tendon.

P.S. Florida WILL win the wild card...unfortunately.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

IndyFrisco wrote:
nope

Houston still has 7 games with the quitter Cubs, 6 against Milwaukee, 2against a resting cardinals, and 3 against Fla at home, and 4 against Pirates!

they have a very favorable matchup

Florida has:
2 series against ATL
1 series against NY
2 series against PHIlly
1 series against Wash
1 series against Hou
not a favorable schedule 4 of 5 opponents are still in wild hunt!

Houston is the fav in my book!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

As a lifelong Astros fan, Houston has never failed to disappoint me.

My money's on the Marlins...even though I hactually havemoney on the Astros. My 14-1 $50 Vegas ticket to win the Series is burning a hole in my pocket. My 12-1 ticket last year did too though.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Still sticking with the Marlins.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yep, Marlins looking good.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Adelpiero wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:
nope

Houston still has 7 games with the quitter Cubs, 6 against Milwaukee, 2against a resting cardinals, and 3 against Fla at home, and 4 against Pirates!

they have a very favorable matchup

Florida has:
2 series against ATL
1 series against NY
2 series against PHIlly
1 series against Wash
1 series against Hou
not a favorable schedule 4 of 5 opponents are still in wild hunt!

Houston is the fav in my book!
Like i said, Houston had the easiest route, and won like they should of.

Props to Rozy and others for sockling Floridas overrated pitching staff.