An Ode to One of the Greatest Raider QB's ever..........

The best of the best
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

It's true, B, that any QB making it to the hall will get help along the way.

Some more than others.

Elway, for example, got relatively little help.

Fouts put up BIG numbers with the help of quality skill people.

Placed in a different system, different folks surrounding him, I'm not sure he'd have put what he did.

Where would you rank Fouts as an all-time qb.....?

Top 5...?

Top 10....?

Top 15....?

20.....?

I know, I know.........ahead of Gannon.

:lol:
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

poptart wrote:It's true, B, that any QB making it to the hall will get help along the way.

Some more than others.

Elway, for example, got relatively little help.

Fouts put up BIG numbers with the help of quality skill people.

Placed in a different system, different folks surrounding him, I'm not sure he'd have put what he did.

Where would you rank Fouts as an all-time qb.....?

Top 5...?

Top 10....?

Top 15....?

20.....?

I know, I know.........ahead of Gannon.

Damn straight he's ahead of Gannon. I'd rank Fouts in the top 10 of all QBs I've seen. In his day he transcended the game and dominated his position for 5 solid years. If he had even a mediocre defense, the Bolts would have been in a couple of Super Bowls.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

mvscal wrote:
poptart wrote:Elway, for example, got relatively little help.
Shannon Sharpe is first ballot lock. Smith and McCaffery were an above average duo as well. A 2,000 yard running back didn't hurt either.

...about time for Raiderfan to find the eject button

Wags, 2 people on this page agree as to intent. You're coupled with Paul. That says enough.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Five Pages and he's going down again..........

King-O-Page 5

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:I think Pops was referring to the pre-RATahan years when Ol' Horseface didn't have the likes of that cut-blocking O-line, TD, Rod Smith, Stanley Sharp, and Easy (to HIT) Ed McCaffrey at his disposal.
Would that be the three Superbowls that Denver lost?
get out, get out while there's still time
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

Great beer drinking thread… I think I’ll have another one! BTW, gotta love Paul’s Avatar and Signature eh? MAYBE NOT!
Run if you have to but keep up!
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
Felix wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote:I think Pops was referring to the pre-RATahan years when Ol' Horseface didn't have the likes of that cut-blocking O-line, TD, Rod Smith, Stanley Sharp, and Easy (to HIT) Ed McCaffrey at his disposal.
Would that be the three Superbowls that Denver lost?
Why YES, Felix.
You take self-administered ass-kickings to a new level..........

sayin
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
poptart wrote:Elway, for example, got relatively little help.
I think Pops was referring to the pre-RATahan years when Ol' Horseface didn't have the likes of that cut-blocking O-line, TD, Rod Smith, Stanley Sharp, and Easy (to HIT) Ed McCaffrey at his disposal.

Common sense, Rozy Palms.....USE IT once in awhile.
Exactly.

Elway flat CARRIED the Mules to multiple AFC Titles in his "early" years.

Later, he got much help, and he also matured a bit, and he got over the top.

Question was asked to Al Davis. "Al, where do you rank Gannon among all-time Raider QBs?"

Al said, 'We'll he had some great years. You have to look at the Super Bowls...ya gotta win'.

Rich fell short.

Along the same lines, what did Fouts win....?

In 15 yrs he won 3 AFC West titles and had a losing record in post-season play.

I'd be VERY hard pressed to rate him among the top 10 qbs of all time.

I think you have to WIN something.

Maybe that's just me.

The DEEEEEEEEFENSE, poptart....................
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

poptart wrote:Exactly. Elway flat CARRIED the Mules to multiple AFC Titles in his "early" years. Later, he got much help, and he also matured a bit, and he got over the top.
Maybe that's why Elway's TD line looked like this for the first 9 years of his career?

Who the hell was putting the Doinks in the endzone?

Let's look at the 89 version of the Broncos. You know, the one that got lambasted by the 49ers in the most lopsided Super Bowl of all time?

How many Pro Powlers did they have?

John Elway (qb), Greg Kragen (dl), Karl Mecklenburg (lb), Dennis Smith (db).

Mmmmm, so there were 4 Pro Bowlers and 3 of them were on the DEFENSE? I guess that explains why they were 3rd in total defense and 16th in total offense.

But hey, it must have been Elway who "carried" them into the Super Bowl.

Of course, when Elway needed to post points in that shootout, he shot a bunch of blanks.

BTW: I think Elway matured into one of the best QBs ever to walk the planet. But it is retarded to diss Fouts based on Elway's percieved accomplishments during the 80s.
Question was asked to Al Davis. "Al, where do you rank Gannon among all-time Raider QBs?" Al said, 'We'll he had some great years. You have to look at the Super Bowls...ya gotta win'. Rich fell short. Along the same lines, what did Fouts win....?

In 15 yrs he won 3 AFC West titles and had a losing record in post-season play. I'd be VERY hard pressed to rate him among the top 10 qbs of all time. I think you have to WIN something. Maybe that's just me.

The DEEEEEEEEFENSE, poptart....................
Yes, the DEFENSE. Maybe it comes from being a Steelers fan.

:P
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Early years.............

Yeah, Sammy Winder got the '86 team to the Super Bowl ............ with his 5 td and 3.3 yd avg.

Oh...... must have been Mark Jackson, or......Steve Watson, or....... Vance Johnson......or......err...

Must have been THE DRIVE that got 'em over the top.

Yeah, getting it done in nut-cuttin' time with SUBPAR talent surrounding you.

Same 'ol in '87.

At least in '89 Bobby Humphrey was a "solid" runner and Vance Johnson developed into a pretty good one at WR.

STILL, it is obvious to anyone who watched the Mules that Elway was the driving force behind those teams.

So Fouts is one of the top 10 QBs that you've seen.

Ok, he's no Otto Graham, that is for damn sure.

:wink:
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

poptart wrote:Early years.............

Yeah, Sammy Winder got the '86 team to the Super Bowl ............ with his 5 td and 3.3 yd avg.
Winder scored 9 TDs on the ground in 86 and 5 in the air. He and Wilhite combined for over 1000 yards rushing.

But hey, I'm sure that the guy who threw a whopping 19 TD passes to go with 13 INTs was the "driving force".

[bigfuckingrollingeyes]
Oh...... must have been Mark Jackson, or......Steve Watson, or....... Vance Johnson......or......err... Must have been THE DRIVE that got 'em over the top. Yeah, getting it done in nut-cuttin' time with SUBPAR talent surrounding you.
Having the Browns defense on the field helped. As I recall, there were also some pass interference calls on that drive. Could it be that Rozelle was behind the whole thing????
Same 'ol in '87.
Can you say FUMBLE? or are you trying to say that Elway also played free saftey for the Broncos?
At least in '89 Bobby Humphrey was a "solid" runner and Vance Johnson developed into a pretty good one at WR. STILL, it is obvious to anyone who watched the Mules that Elway was the driving force behind those teams.
Some driving force. In 89 he threw as many INTs as TDs. It was not until Ratahan that Elway even so much as posted a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

But hey, I will say he was the "driving force" behind those 3 INTs in the Washington game. And he sure was the "driving force" behind those 2 INTs in the 49ers Super Bowl beatdown.
So Fouts is one of the top 10 QBs that you've seen. Ok, he's no Otto Graham, that is for damn sure. :wink:
Leather helmet guys don't count.
Last edited by BSmack on Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Geez, why is Raiduh fan in here propping up horseface, anyway....?

If you don't think Elway carried the Mules in his early years then ask Donc fan what their opinion is.

I don't give a shit.

Fouts is not in my top ten all-time.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

buwahahahahaha @ this thread.

I love it when a topic rollercoasters' all over the place like this and ends up with a multitude of opinions, stats, and facts.

God Bless the NFL season, and RACK each and every one of you old smackboarders for representing strong and shaking the rust off in preperation for the regular season kickoff.

Good points made by one and all on behalf of a few great players-i'll close by RACKING Rich once again for his services, leadership and intense dedication, and simply wish him the best in his future endeavors (Coach Gannon?)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

poptart wrote:Geez, why is Raiduh fan in here propping up horseface, anyway....?
Stockholm Syndrome would be my guess.
If you don't think Elway carried the Mules in his early years then ask Donc fan what their opinion is.
Yea, that would be an objective source. Who should I start with? The Bronco Bob? Icantstopsuckingass?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't give a shit. Fouts is not in my top ten all-time.
OK, you can keep him out of your personal top 10. Besides, we all know your All Time Top 10 list looks like this anyway.

Stabler
Plunkett
Lamonica
Gannon
Wilson
Hostetler
Flores
George
Marinovich
Schroeder

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

poptart wrote: If you don't think Elway carried the Mules in his early years then ask Donc fan what their opinion is.
Yes, Elway carried the Broncos for all of those years..........and to their three Superbowl losses.....

Now you fucking numbskulls quit badmouthing my heeeero.........
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

BSmack wrote:
OK, you can keep him out of your personal top 10. Besides, we all know your All Time Top 10 list looks like this anyway.

Stabler
Plunkett
Lamonica
Gannon
Wilson
Hostetler
Flores
George
Marinovich
Schroeder

What? No Rusty Hilger?
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Fouts was a very good QB who benefitted from Coryells pass first system. He never won the big game. He is Dan Marino without the Super Bowl appearance.

Case closed.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

mvscal wrote:He'd make Tom Coughlin look like a mild mannered hippy guidance counselor.
Nice

...and RACk this thread. Good times...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Felix wrote:
Cuda wrote:
And ZERO league titles- ZERO Super Bowl apperances. Which still makes him, despite all his stats,... what's the word I'm looking for? ... Oh, right... LOSER- that's the word!
So Coods are you campaigning to have Fouts removed from the HOF
No, although I wouldn't oppose such a campaign if someone were to start one
or what--I'm trying to see the point you're arguing here.........
Point is that if huge personal stats & longevity can offset the fact that a player is a loser when it comes to hall of fame consideration, then the hall of fame really isn't all that special. By that measure, they're long overdue inducting Steve Deberg- dude played like 25 years or something
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

BSmack wrote: OK, you can keep him out of your personal top 10. Besides, we all know your All Time Top 10 list looks like this anyway.

Stabler
Plunkett
Lamonica
Gannon
Wilson
Hostetler
Flores
George
Marinovich
Schroeder
Vince Evans would be #2 on there, just like he's probably still #2 on the depth chart to this day.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Felix wrote:
poptart wrote: If you don't think Elway carried the Mules in his early years then ask Donc fan what their opinion is.
Yes, Elway carried the Broncos for all of those years..........and to their three Superbowl losses.....
Mr. Ed also WON 2 SB's in a row. So he's 2 & 3 in super bowls- that's 5 more appearances than Dan Fucking Fouts has.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Cuda wrote:
Felix wrote:
Mr. Ed also WON 2 SB's in a row. So he's 2 & 3 in super bowls- that's 5 more appearances than Dan Fucking Fouts has.
Farts sat next to Dennis Miller in the booth for a couple o' years.

Ought to count for somethin', Coods.

No...?
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Nyah.

You raise a good point, though, poptart.

Fouts benefited from the incestuous relationship between the NFL & ABC. What better way to pimp both the league and the network than to put a loser-turned-broadcaster into the hall of fame?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Cuda wrote:
Point is that if huge personal stats & longevity can offset the fact that a player is a loser when it comes to hall of fame consideration, then the hall of fame really isn't all that special. By that measure, they're long overdue inducting Steve Deberg- dude played like 25 years or something
I get the idea you don't think too much of Fouts.........
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Felix wrote:
Cuda wrote:
I get the idea you don't think too much of Fouts.........
He was better than Steve Ramsey & Jim Zorn
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Cuda wrote:
He was better than Steve Ramsey & Jim Zorn
heresy........

I actually met Zorn once........a nice guy and a great football mind........
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

OK, so he wasn't better than Zorn. I just couldn't think of any other AFC west QB's
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

If it's shitty QB's you're looking for, look to your own backyard Coods........

Google up the name Marlin Briscoe........ :lol:
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Marlin Briscoe?

Now that nigga ought to be in the hall of fame- played almost every position on the team except maybe lineman!