OU vs GoldTooth U.

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

OU vs GoldTooth U.

Post by Moby Dick »

OU is close to finalizing a 2 game deal with GT U. @ Norman in 07 and then @ Miami in 09 ( i believe we'll be playing LSU htat year as well or is it FSU?)

either way...bring on them canes!
TheChief
Elwood

Re: OU vs GoldTooth U.

Post by TheChief »

Moby Dick wrote:OU is close to finalizing a 2 game deal with GT U. @ Norman in 07 and then @ Miami in 09 ( i believe we'll be playing LSU htat year as well or is it FSU?)

either way...bring on them canes!
Not us. 2010 & 2011 is when we play each other.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Looks like the top programs aren't shying away from scheduling the big ones, despite the BCS' removal of strength of schedule. I think athletic directors are starting to figure out that if they put a big game on the slate, it brings their program a lot of attention (see OSU/Texas this year).

I'm already excited for future home/home with USC ('08 & '09), Miami ('10 & '11), & VaTech (?).
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

A&M is @ Miami in 2007. Looks like a helluva OOC schedule for UM in '07. We have them in College Station in '08.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

L45B wrote:I'm already excited for future home/home with USC ('08 & '09), Miami ('10 & '11), & VaTech (?).
Don't you mean home/away? I show you guys coming to our house in '08 and us rolling to C-Bus in '09.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

LSU isn't going to happen Moby. The same day that leaked to the press Joe was inundadted with threats from the Crimson money machine that the well would dry up considerably if the AD ever willing scheduled a home and home with the Baton Rouge Redneck Rompus again.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

IndyFrisco wrote:A&M is @ Miami in 2007. Looks like a helluva OOC schedule for UM in '07. We have them in College Station in '08.
didn't ATM have FSU on the schedule here of late--or someone of equal calibre? but fell through. like last year maybe. i'm curious, no other motive. not a flame. I mean, OU basically backed out of a home-home with Arizona State a couple years ago....since they were already playing Bama.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

King Crimson wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:A&M is @ Miami in 2007. Looks like a helluva OOC schedule for UM in '07. We have them in College Station in '08.
didn't ATM have FSU on the schedule here of late--or someone of equal calibre? but fell through. like last year maybe. i'm curious, no other motive. not a flame. I mean, OU basically backed out of a home-home with Arizona State a couple years ago....since they were already playing Bama.
aTm and FSU had game scheduled for last year and this year but both teams decided it was in their best interest not to play.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Don't you mean home/away? I show you guys coming to our house in '08 and us rolling to C-Bus in '09.
I'm pretty sure that's right. I'd say chances are good that I'll be at both. :wink:
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

TheChief wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
aTm and FSU had game scheduled for last year and this year but both teams decided it was in their best interest not to play.
Damn dude. We'd need a partition if we watched our boys play together in the same room.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Re: OU vs GoldTooth U.

Post by RadioFan »

Moby Dick wrote:OU is close to finalizing a 2 game deal with GT U. @ Norman in 07 and then @ Miami in 09 ( i believe we'll be playing LSU htat year as well or is it FSU?)
Looks like the 'Canes are a done deal.

Football too close to TV?
Networks control much of collegiate schedule

By GUERIN EMIG
World Sports Writer
7/24/2005

The summertime bulletin splashed across this football-thirsty state like an ocean current: Oklahoma and Miami were going to play football again.

Miami associate athletic director Connie Nickel announced the news last week, telling the Florida press, "The negotiations are finished. We are awaiting a contract."

Assuming an agreement arrives, the Hurricanes are coming to Owen Field in 2007.

Owen Field partisans should thank the administrators who managed the deal and the coaches with the guts to OK it. And they better not forget television, arguably the biggest player of them all in college football today.

"You pick up the phone and give (OU athletic director) Joe Castigione a call and see if he might be interested," ESPN vice president of programming Dave Brown said. "Most of the time, there's not a high ratio of success because of date issues. But once in a while, something clicks."

A network hatches an idea, and suddenly, the nation's biggest nonconference games for '07 and '09, when the Sooners conclude the home-and-home at Miami, are set.

That's power.

So is moving this year's OU-OSU game three weeks ahead of the originally scheduled date, talking Texas into playing a Sunday night game against New Mexico State and bringing Texas A&M and Texas Tech together for a 9 p.m. kickoff.

All accomplished by television. The Bedlam bump was done by ABC, while Fox Sports Net turned the latter tricks two years ago.

In today's college football environment, television networks dictate the overwhelming majority of game times. Contract terms with the major conferences make it so.

In return, major conferences, and their respective member institutions, make fistfuls of money.

"You try not to let television dictate every move you make," Oklahoma State senior associate athletic director Dave Martin said. "At the same time, we all understand the need for (TV's) dollars to drive the athletic department. While you expect dollars, they expect consideration that will help them sell the product."

In Norman, those factors mean Sooner fans must contend with weather and tailgating inconveniences that come with 11 a.m. kickoffs, as when TCU comes to OU on Sept. 3.

"Fans may not embrace the early start time, but those games tend to offer a broader distribution (to TV viewers)," said Tim Allen, the Big 12 associate commissioner who has managed conference TV contracts since the Big Eight days in the late '80s. "Oklahoma has been a very popular ratings draw, so (networks) have attempted to distribute Oklahoma to a larger portion of the country. Thus the 11 a.m. game times.

"We have a high degree of empathy for what early starts can do to a pregame atmosphere. At the same time, dividends are paid by being on TV more and having a broader distribution. Coaches like to tell recruits how many times they're on TV, and what the scope of it is so mom and dad can see them play.

"You also have to weigh and balance everybody's thoughts and feelings with the revenue that is produced."

ABC takes the Sooner brand to advertisers. Advertisers shell out for commercial time in Sooner games. ABC can then negotiate a multimillion-dollar contract with the Sooners' conference.

And the Sooner athletic department, particularly Sooner football, reaps the benefit. Or benefits, when you realize Big 12 schools draw from two pools of annual TV income -- a participation pool, from which all 12 schools receive an estimated $1 million automatically, and an appearance pool that provides teams "bonuses" ranging from $175,000 to $500,000 for every game televised.

That's just the regular season. When payouts from the conference championship game, the bowl season and the Bowl Championship Series -- all TV-driven -- are taken into account, the payoff is easily another several million divvied up 12 ways.

That's power. Almost too much power to some.

"The issue of the television networks and their virtual control of college football is a reality," said Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. "Boise State had to play a game at 9 in the morning last year. For TV, no other reason. Teams also playing on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights, which has been a big pain for high school coaches associations."

So why bother to put up with it?

"Coaches feel the national exposure they get by (acquiescing to) TV networks is advantageous for their programs," Teaff said. "It is almost a feeling of helplessness from the coaches' standpoint. The lower you go down the chain, the more helpless they are."

Iowa State, for example, must play a Friday night game at Army on ESPN2 this season.

"When you're next to last in the conference from a budget standpoint, TV considerations and TV money is important," Cyclone coach Dan McCarney pointed out. "It really is."

It's not quite as important at OSU, home of booster Boone Pickens' bottomless pockets. So when the Big 12 asked the Cowboys to move their October date with Missouri to September for TBS' sake, they said, "Sorry."

"I will always play on TV, and I will always do whatever (I) can (for) revenue dollars. But I'm not going to do it at the risk of losing games," said OSU coach Mike Gundy, who considered his team-in-transition trying to stop fourth-year Mizzou quarterback Brad Smith in September risky at best.

Then there's the clout at places like OU.

"We've said no before," Sooner coach Bob Stoops said. "What do you think would happen in Oklahoma if they tried to move us to Thursday? That's not going to happen. There are times that we feel it inconveniences (fans) or it's not best for the team, and we're not going to do it."

Unless. . .

"If it's part of the contract with the Big 12," Stoops said, "we live up to it."

The Big 12 can force a schedule shuffle if its TV contract dictates. And the Big 12's contract with ABC dictates marquee programs like OU, Texas, Texas A&M and Nebraska play on marquee dates every so often. Like Thanksgiving weekend, now home of Bedlam '05.

These contracts are crowded with terms like "exclusivity," "windows," "distribution" and "units." All conveying the impression that cameras are in control.

Teaff's misgivings are warranted in places like Boise and Bowling Green. But it's a losing battle when ESPN drapes its banner across the stadium facade, even at breakfast time.

"If we can get on national TV again, we'll play at 6 (a.m.)," Boise State tackle Daryn Colledge said last year.

Or when someone in Bristol helps broker an OU-Miami series.

College football's top half, meanwhile, retains the power to tell TV no. The few times they feel like it, that is.

"I think all ADs and coaches understand the relationship (between football and TV)," said Martin. "They like to have the exposure for recruits, just as we like the exposure and the revenue to help the overall athletic program."

"It's a give and take," said Jon Heidtke, FSN Southwest senior vice president and general manager. "At the end of the day, by and large, both sides are happy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World sports writers John E. Hoover and Dave Sittler contributed to this report.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I can't wait to roll those pussy trojans in C-Bus and Gang Central... :P

so if I am reading this right tOSU plays the Condoms and the Gangsters in the same year 09...RIGHTEOUS...
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

IndyFrisco wrote: Damn dude. We'd need a partition if we watched our boys play together in the same room.
That would be a scary sight. I don't think your wife or my woman would know what to think about two grown men shot gunning Busch Light (that's right I said it!)and then shooting 1970's Beam from a whiskey glass while sitting infront of a big screen yelling at a football game. Not to mention the wildly abusive smack talk coupled with the headlocks and body punches we would be dishing out.

Something tells me that I would have to tape that game :lol:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Something tells me we'd have to tape the people watching the game for use in court. :lol:
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:I can't wait to roll those pussy trojans in C-Bus and Gang Central... :P

so if I am reading this right tOSU plays the Condoms and the Gangsters in the same year 09...RIGHTEOUS...
In our home/away it would be a hell of an outcome for both teams if we split W's.

Naturally it won't go that way for you. :wink:
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .