Most Overrated Stats Record

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Alkie
Swigmeister General

Most Overrated Stats Record

Post by Alkie »

Bace's thread got me thinking, which stats record is the most overrated.

To me the Home Run record went from most revered to most overrated in just a couple of years. To me the record is tainted with HGH, and Steroids.

I just won't believe that anybody that breaks the record from now on isn't on some kind of preformance enhancing drug.
IndyFrisco wrote:I was really into partaking in the art of fellatio
Dinsdale wrote:rack Al.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

That no-hitter thing. Who fucking cares.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Bonds' record for most walks in a season...he has great plate discipline but all of those intentional passes inflate the total.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

saves

show me a guy who gets W's, because he pitches 8th and 9th, and i say OK

rag arms who face 2-3 batters up 3 is weak!
Nixhex
Spliffy

Re: Most Overrated Stats Record

Post by Nixhex »

Alkie wrote:Bace's thread got me thinking, which stats record is the most overrated.

To me the Home Run record went from most revered to most overrated in just a couple of years. To me the record is tainted with HGH, and Steroids.

I just won't believe that anybody that breaks the record from now on isn't on some kind of preformance enhancing drug.
Agreed. Not to mention the super baseballs they used in the homerun derby the other night. Do you think something similiar is going to be used in games to boost numbers now that roids are out?
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

The stolen base record. Lou Brock stole because he had to put himself in position to score on a basehit. Ricky Henderson ran when they were up by 5 runs. Stupid fucking record. Also, the 40-40 thing. Like Micky Mantle said after everyone was making a big deal out of Canseco doing it; "If I knew it was that important, I would have done it a few times."
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Killian wrote:The stolen base record. Lou Brock stole because he had to put himself in position to score on a basehit. Ricky Henderson ran when they were up by 5 runs. Stupid fucking record. Also, the 40-40 thing. Like Micky Mantle said after everyone was making a big deal out of Canseco doing it; "If I knew it was that important, I would have done it a few times."

Stolen bases have become a lost art. I love seeing guys like Crawford, Podsednik and Pierre bat leadoff and find ways to get on base so they can steal their way into scoring position and then score on singles, groundball outs and sac flies. Teams don't utilize speed enough because it's all about the long ball. Get a guy on base and hope the big bats behind them can go yard. Station to station baseball isn't used enough.
Alkie
Swigmeister General

Post by Alkie »

Agree with the deadwing fan. Stealing bases and contact hitting, stringing together single for runs, these are a few of my favorite things.

Half the time a HR kills a rally, or a big scoring inning.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Shoalzie wrote: Stolen bases have become a lost art. I love seeing guys like Crawford, Podsednik and Pierre bat leadoff and find ways to get on base so they can steal their way into scoring position and then score on singles, groundball outs and sac flies. Teams don't utilize speed enough because it's all about the long ball. Get a guy on base and hope the big bats behind them can go yard. Station to station baseball isn't used enough.
I agree about sealing to score runs. That is a lost art. Ricky Henderson did to stolen bases what Barry Bonds is doing to Home Runs.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Alkie
Swigmeister General

Post by Alkie »

Killian wrote:
I agree about sealing to score runs. That is a lost art. Ricky Henderson did to stolen bases what Barry Bonds is doing to Home Runs.
Sealing - to lay oneself on the ground on their stomach and in a wiggle motion using their front arms to drag themselves to the next base.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Alkie wrote:
Killian wrote:
Sealing - to lay oneself on the ground on their stomach and in a wiggle motion using their front arms to drag themselves to the next base.
Have you seen the Tigers run the bases the past few years?
Alkie
Swigmeister General

Post by Alkie »

Killian wrote:
Alkie wrote:
Killian wrote:
Have you seen the Tigers run the bases the past few years?
:lol:

Maybe this is how Bonds will have to propel himself around the bases so he can get the homerun record on those trashed out knees of his.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Alkie wrote:Agree with the deadwing fan. Stealing bases and contact hitting, stringing together single for runs, these are a few of my favorite things.

had me
Half the time a HR kills a rally, or a big scoring inning.
lost me. That's stupid as hell.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

e wrote:Buck and Shannon
Wa Alaikum As-Salaam
why is my neighborhood on fire
Tex
Jake

Post by Tex »

e wrote:alkie's right, moot. Buck and Shannon used to say it all the time. the best way to kill a rally is to have someone hit a two-out homerun. the next guy flies out and the rally's over. just hope you scored enough before someone ended it. it's science. check it out.
Then Buck and Shannon are moron's too. It aint the two-run homer that kills the rally. It's the fly out.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Tex wrote:Then Buck and Shannon are moron's too.
Heresy. Hall of Fame plaque shoulda told ya.

Also, no apostrophe needed, moron.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Tex
Jake

Post by Tex »

Sorry 'bout the punctuation gaffe teach, but they still be mufukkin mOrons fo gone on make sthupid ass cumment lie dat, dig?
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Shoalzie wrote:Stolen bases have become a lost art. I love seeing guys like Crawford, Podsednik and Pierre bat leadoff and find ways to get on base so they can steal their way into scoring position and then score on singles, groundball outs and sac flies. Teams don't utilize speed enough because it's all about the long ball. Get a guy on base and hope the big bats behind them can go yard. Station to station baseball isn't used enough.
Especially when your in an American League city.

I remember watching solid teams like Whitey Herzog's Cardinals of the mid-80's execute 'little ball' perfectly and they were entertaining to watch.