Most Overrated Legend

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Most Overrated Legend

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Cal Ripken. He was good for a long time. His attendance record has less to do with his skill than both his luck with injuries and his ability to stand up to managers who would otherwise play players who are better able to help their team.

That's what it is; an attendance record. He may not have been the best in the class, but he was always there when the teacher took attendance.

If anyone came back to baseball after the strike because some guy played a bunch of games straight, they would surely be excited by these upcoming baseball events:
--Yankee Outfield on Jeopardy.
--St. Louis awarded Most Punctual Fans.
--Wrigley Field denizens drink one bahzillionth Old Style.
why is my neighborhood on fire
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Most Overrated Legend

Post by BSmack »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Cal Ripken. He was good for a long time. His attendance record has less to do with his skill than both his luck with injuries and his ability to stand up to managers who would otherwise play players who are better able to help their team.
Bullshit. The Orioles had nothing better at shortstop or 3rd base while Ripken was in town. Even dinged up, Ripken was a better option than all but a few of his contemporaries as a fielder and he was the best power hitting SS in AL history until some guy named A-Rod came on the scene.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Alkie
Swigmeister General

Post by Alkie »

Cal has Hall Of Fame numbers, and really only had medicore numbers in the last 4 years of his career. I don't see him as being overrated.
IndyFrisco wrote:I was really into partaking in the art of fellatio
Dinsdale wrote:rack Al.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Would that Pre-Done posted here...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Where the hell is Pre?
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Laxplayer wrote:Where the hell is Pre?
Lost in the board shuffles, I guess. This thread would have his name all over it.

Good times...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

He'd defend Ripken until pigs flew out of our asses.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Most overrated legend
Anyone who's ever had the misfortune of wearing a Cardinal uniform from '83 on.

Any Padre. Ever.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

In about 15 yrs, Jeter.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

IndyFrisco wrote:In about 15 yrs, Jeter.
I hate the Yankees.

I hate Jeter

If Jeter had played for another team he would be a veritable unknown. And that would be a good thing.

However, next to Molitor, Jeter is the greatest postseason clutch hitter ever. That cannot be taken away from him.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

BSmack wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:Cal Ripken. He was good for a long time. His attendance record has less to do with his skill than both his luck with injuries and his ability to stand up to managers who would otherwise play players who are better able to help their team.
Bullshit. The Orioles had nothing better at shortstop or 3rd base while Ripken was in town. Even dinged up, Ripken was a better option than all but a few of his contemporaries as a fielder and he was the best power hitting SS in AL history until some guy named A-Rod came on the scene.
Even the days that he was ailing yet had to keep his streak going despite what consequences may happen to the team and their record?

I'm not saying he's shit, I'm saying he's overrated.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

rozy wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:In about 15 yrs, Jeter.
I hate the Yankees.

I hate Jeter

If Jeter had played for another team he would be a veritable unknown. And that would be a good thing.

However, next to Molitor, Jeter is the greatest postseason clutch hitter ever. That cannot be taken away from him.
"Mr. October" wasnt so bad either.

The Most Overrated legend has to be Jackie Robinson. Only b/c he was the first black to play the game should he get recognition. His stats were nice, but compare them to Joe Morgan, Ryne Sandberg or Jeff Kent and they arent close. If he was a white guy named Dick Leyland, he wouldnt even be in the HOF.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Even the days that he was ailing yet had to keep his streak going despite what consequences may happen to the team and their record?
What consequences? Ripken could have had a leg amputated and would have STILL been a better option than Mike Bordick and the other stiffs the Os had at SS.
I'm not saying he's shit, I'm saying he's overrated.
And I'm saying that you're off your freaking rocker.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Tex
Jake

Post by Tex »

Baylessfelice wrote:Cal Ripken. He was good for a long time. His attendance record has less to do with his skill than both his luck with injuries and his ability to stand up to managers who would otherwise play players who are better able to help their team.

That's what it is; an attendance record. He may not have been the best in the class, but he was always there when the teacher took attendance.
Is this guy kidding?^^^^
Ya need more than luck and a caustic attitude towards an occasional day off to get into the 3000/400 club. As a shortsop no less, before it became sexy for shortsops to be power hitters. If the guy had taken the occasional day off, his #s probably would have been even better, especially career batting average.
BSmack wrote:Even dinged up, Ripken was a better option than all but a few of his contemporaries as a fielder
um, what excactly do you mean by a few? Ripken was like Jeff Kent in the field. If he could get to it, he'd make the play. Problem was his range was lacking compared to "a few" of his contemporaries.
rozy wrote:If Jeter had played for another team he would be a veritable unknown.
Are you on dope? On what other team in your world of dementia would you be speaking of? A career .315 hitter on pace to equal or surpass most of Ripken's power numbers would not be a veritable unknown anywhere. There isn't another player in baseball over the past decade I would rather have to build a team around.
Tex
Jake

Post by Tex »

I think a case could be made for Molitor being overrated. For a 1b, 3b, and DH, his run production was pretty ordinary. Speaking of DH, Molitor may have benefited from that rule more than any player in history.
Eddie Adams
Elwood

Post by Eddie Adams »

I'm gonna say MaGwire.

That fuck has clammed up, now that everyone knows how he and Sammy did it!

That HR chase they had has become a damn afterthought. I say give Maris back his record.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Eddie Adams wrote:
That fuck has clammed up, now that everyone knows how he and Sammy did it!
He clammed up as soon as he retired. Guy would have been a bitter Maris during his chase were it not for Steppin' Fetchit in right on the Northside.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Dave Winfield
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
Shitonafukkinhippie
Crack Whore

Post by Shitonafukkinhippie »

Tex wrote:I think a case could be made for Molitor being overrated. For a 1b, 3b, and DH, his run production was pretty ordinary. Speaking of DH, Molitor may have benefited from that rule more than any player in history.

Molitor was a great post-season player that if he were not on those Brewer, Twin, or Blue Jay post-season rosters, the results would most likely have been different. To rag on Molitor as a DH is lame. Edgar Martinez and Harold Baines are soon to be mentioned for their careers and they both played almost their entire careers at DH. Baines was once a good outfielder, and Martinez was once a gold glove 3rd baseman.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Shitonafukkinhippie wrote:
Tex wrote:I think a case could be made for Molitor being overrated. For a 1b, 3b, and DH, his run production was pretty ordinary. Speaking of DH, Molitor may have benefited from that rule more than any player in history.

Molitor was a great post-season player that if he were not on those Brewer, Twin, or Blue Jay post-season rosters, the results would most likely have been different. To rag on Molitor as a DH is lame. Edgar Martinez and Harold Baines are soon to be mentioned for their careers and they both played almost their entire careers at DH. Baines was once a good outfielder, and Martinez was once a gold glove 3rd baseman.
^^
NOT my troll, but I will RACK it! Mentioning Molitor and overrated in the same paragraph is assenine.
Jeff 2K5
Run from NFL

Post by Jeff 2K5 »

Raydah James wrote:
Most overrated legend
Anyone who's ever had the misfortune of wearing a Cardinal uniform from '83 on.
Heard of Ozzie Smith? :roll:

Any Padre. Ever.
Tony Gwynn ring a bell?