BOOGIE - Smackie, Mikey, m2

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

BOOGIE - Smackie, Mikey, m2

Post by Sudden Sam »

Quite possibly the worst drumming I’ve ever heard.

“ Unissued recordings by this very LOUD power trio from San Francisco, modeled after Cream, Blue Cheer or The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Includes all their fantastic studio demos from 1968 plus raw & wild live tracks from 1969. Boogie (or The Boogie) was probably the first hard-blues / proto-metal group that emerged from the San Francisco scene.

This power-trio was formed by Barry “The Bee” Bastian (Canned Heat, Lee Michaels...) on guitar/vocals; John Barrett (The Rhythm Dukes) on bass and Fuzzy John Oxendine (Roky Erickson & The Aliens, Jerry Miller Band...) on drums. Comrades of Moby Grape (who even let Boogie use their rehearsal space) and the Sons Of Champlin, they played at all the legendary venues (The Ark, Avalon, Fillmore…) sharing stage with bands like Buffalo Springfield, Quicksilver, Ace Of Cups, Flamin’ Groovies or Country Joe & The Fish. Their explosive show at the Sky River Rock Festival (August, 1968, the first outdoor multi-band Rock Festival held in the United States) to an audience of 150,000 people, is still remembered today.”

From Bomp Records.
JPGettysburg
Elwood

Re: BOOGIE - Smackie, Mikey, m2

Post by JPGettysburg »

[youtube3]https://youtu.be/vHRXxUtzZgo?si=8h54GLLH-iyMbVR4[/youtube3]

Wade in the water. Eva Cassidy.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

I qas digging the guitar but I haven't heard dumming like that since my kids were in 8th grade band :lol:
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Sudden Sam wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:57 amQuite possibly the worst drumming I’ve ever heard.
Seldom do you see liner notes critical of the music on the album, but Al Kooper wrote the notes for the album "Fillmore East Lost Concert Tapes" on which Johnny Winter essentially makes his debut as a guest guitarist joining Kooper & Mike Bloomfield on It's My Own Fault, a 10+ minute blues jam. (A Columbia A&R rep was in the audience and immediately signed Johnny). Kooper had supposedly hastily assembled a rhythm section that included drummer John Cresci, with whom he had never worked. During the song, Winter & Bloomfield got into an epic guitar "battle," trading blues licks and tearin' it up. Cresci was not a well-versed blues drummer, whose job is to simply keep the beat. As Winter & Bloomfield were playing off each other, Cresci decided to switch from a straight blues rhythm to a waltz, essentially destroying what the guitarists were doing. Kooper didn't hold back on expressing his disdain for what Cresci did in the liner notes. You can hear it near the 7:30 mark:

"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I thought that I was aware of at least most of the Bay Area groups back then but I’ll have to admit that this one flew under my radar. I’ll have to give it a listen when I get a chance.

The Sons of Champlain, BTW, was a great, mostly overlooked, band of the time. Bill Champlin ended up doing a lot of studio work and singing vocals with Chicago for about 30 years. He won a couple of songwriting Grammys - After the Love Has Gone (Earth Wind &Fire) and Turn Your Love Around (George Benson).
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

I guess there's a video that I can't see on this board.

Need to fix utube here.