Re: In Memory of Dickey Betts

Post by Sudden Sam »

That’s a big one.

RIP
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

This is terrible news, I'll have to put ABB on repeat/shuffle for the next few days 😢

Saw him with ABB several times and even a solo gig in the early 80's, dude could play.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

I assume Tune Town's heavy rotation restrictions are on pause this weekend.

Request: 8 minute live cut of Whipping Post. Thanks.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm That’s a big one.

RIP
Something we can probably all agree on.
The Whistle Is Screaming

Always the optimist Mikey....
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

RIP. Maybe Smackie will put his rotation requirements on hold for the night.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I would have went with Trouble No More as a thread title.

Anyhoo, RIP to the greatest second best guitar player in the band, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 pm I would have went with Trouble No More as a thread title.

Sorry, but you're too late ion the thread title. And he didn't write Trouble No More. He did write "in Memory of..." arguably their most recognizable song. Except for maybe Ramblin’ Man, which he also wrote.

Also, he hadn't been "second best" since 1971. Unless you think Derek Trucks or Warren Haynes were somehow "better." :meds:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm This is terrible news, I'll have to put ABB on repeat/shuffle for the next few days 😢

Saw him with ABB several times and even a solo gig in the early 80's, dude could play.
Saw him for the first time on 12/31/72 at the Cow Palace in Daly City, in probably the most memorable show I've ever been to. Started out with Charlie Daniels, then Marshall Tucker. ABB played a set before midnight and then took a break. Bill Graham came floating down from somewhere in the back of the room in a giant joint hanging from a wire, dressed like Father Time. Got out on stage at midnight and the balloons started falling as ABB broke into One Way Out. Good fuckin' times. The hit of windowpane sort of helped things along.

Jerry Garcia, Bill Kreutzman, and Boz Scaggs sat in after midnight, including an incredible rendition of Mountain Jam. I later heard that the story was that Butch Trucks got dosed backstage unknowingly and couldn't continue, so Kreutzman took over for the rest of the show.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Anyone who didn't expect ^that^ post from Mikey hasn't been paying attention.

Once Smackie weighs in with a story about meeting Betts while working for WKMP and DMike asks if his music was better or worse than Drumline I think we can archive this sucker.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rootbeer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 pm Anyone who didn't expect ^that^ post from Mikey hasn't been paying attention.

Once Smackie weighs in with a story about meeting Betts while working for WKMP and DMike asks if his music was better or worse than Drumline I think we can archive this sucker.
Many of us find that, when we get to a certain age, it seems like we spend a lot of time living in the past.
It's all we have left. Don't hate on us for it.

And BTW, "Living in the Past" was a great song and album by Jethro Tull. I saw them at the Inglewood Forum in 1973. The mother of a friend of mine (David) in the dorms at UCSD was dating some bigwig from Warner Brothers. Through him, she was able to score four tickets for David and friends to see Tull, on the first night of a five night run at the Forum. So four of us drove up to Westwood, to David's mom's house to get the tickets, and then went straight to Inglewood for the show. These were supposed to be great seats, like front row center or something.

We get to the Forum, show our tickets, and head to our seats which, indeed, were front row center. Only problem was that they were occupied...one of them by Robert Hilburn the (at the time) LA Times music critic. Further investigation revealed that we were five days early for our show. :lol: :lol:

So David goes and talks to "the management" and they were able to seat us in some VIP section that, for basketball, would have been center court about four rows up. Pretty deece seats, but not front row center. Oh well.

The preceding story is 100% true and presented specially for Rootbeer...just because.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
smackaholic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 pm I would have went with Trouble No More as a thread title.

Sorry, but you're too late ion the thread title. And he didn't write Trouble No More. He did write "in Memory of..." arguably their most recognizable song. Except for maybe Ramblin’ Man, which he also wrote.

Also, he hadn't been "second best" since 1971. Unless you think Derek Trucks or Warren Haynes were somehow "better." :meds:
Oh, he was for sure number one after Dwayne died.

As for most memorable, I think I’d go with Whippin’ Post.

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

My dad loved ABB. I really wasn’t into them but the first instrumental I ever liked was Les Brers.

What an amazing talent.

88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Mikey wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am
Rootbeer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 pm Anyone who didn't expect ^that^ post from Mikey hasn't been paying attention.

When you get to a certain age, it seems like you spend a lot of time living in the past.
It's all we have left. Don't hate on us for it.

And BTW, "Living in the Past" was a great song and album by Jethro Tull. I saw them at the Inglewood Forum in 1973. The mother of a friend of mine (David) in the dorms at UCSD was dating some bigwig from Warner Brothers. Through him, she was able to score four tickets for David and friends to see Tull, on the first night of a five night run at the Forum. So four of us drove up to Westwood, to David's mom's house to get the tickets, and then went straight to Inglewood for the show. These were supposed to be great seats, like front row center or something.

So we get to the Forum, show our tickets, and head to our seats which, indeed, were front row center. Only problem was that they were occupied...one of them by Robert Hilburn the (at the time) LA Times music critic. Further investigation revealed that we were five days early for our show. :lol: :lol:

So David goes and talks to "the management" and they were able to seat us in some VIP section that, for basketball, would have been center court about four rows up. Pretty deece seats, but not front row center. Oh well.

The preceding story is 100% true and presented specially for Rootbeer...just because.
lol

I grew up poor and rural. In my first 30 years of life I only remember attending three concerts. Free Fare played cover songs in the school gym in 7th grade. The backup singer let me hold his mic while he did a dance routine during a song. During the chorus, the backup singer would point to me and I'd yell "Whoo!" into the mic. I can't remember the song but it was awesome. My friend asked if he could, "hold the mic for a sec." I let him and he wouldn't give it back. I'm still mad about that. Should have beat his face.

I did a google search and found a reddit thread about Free Fare. Interesting

When I was 13 my mom took us to see Chicago at the Tacoma Dome. I really liked that. It was almost like rock and roll. I was very sheltered. My mom only listened to Anne Murray, Air Supply, and Chicago. My dad listened to the Beach Boys and Johnny Cash. When I was 11 I secretly bought Van Halen's Jump album from my cousin and my mom confiscated it saying, "You will not listen to that acid rock in my house!" When I turned 12 my mom's father gave me a walkman cassette player with the foam covered headphones we all had back in the day. He gave me an Elton John album and my mom was not happy. He's gay, you know. Elton, not grandpa. That would be weird. But she didn't take the Elton album away because grandpa said I could have it. Over time I secreted copies of Beastie Boys and some late 80's rap albums. Never got to attend concerts though. Too poor, mostly, but also not enough Anne Murray on tour :shrug:

Not long after I moved out of the house I saw a vocally challenged Lou Gramm well past his prime sing mostly intelligible Foreigner lyrics at the same Civic Center where I graduated high school.

Yeah...those are most of my "back in the day" music stories. Good times....gooood times.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Can't beat Mikey's story. Closest I can come is that I saw the ABB at the Mesa Amphitheater in 1980 on their Enlightened Rogues tour. Papa John Creach, who played fiddle for Jefferson Starship, was the opening act.
Wolfman wrote:Maybe Smackie will put his rotation requirements on hold for the night.
Rootbeer wrote:I assume Tune Town's heavy rotation restrictions are on pause this weekend.

Request: 8 minute live cut of Whipping Post. Thanks.
I have a set put together of Betts's compositions, of which WP is not one. But it'll get played before long.
"I see everything twice!"
dan's college room mate
Jake

Post by dan's college room mate »

After a little YouTube ABB binging last night, I gotta go with One Way Out live at Filmore East as most memorable.

That entire show was amazing. One of the greatest live performances evah.

Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Jessica never got the love that it should have. Great tune.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
The Whistle Is Screaming

Mikey wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm
The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm This is terrible news, I'll have to put ABB on repeat/shuffle for the next few days 😢

Saw him for the first time on 12/31/72 at the Cow Palace in Daly City, in probably the most memorable show I've ever been to. Started out with Charlie Daniels, then Marshall Tucker. ABB played a set before midnight and then took a break. Bill Graham came floating down from somewhere in the back of the room in a giant joint hanging from a wire, dressed like Father Time. Got out on stage at midnight and the balloons started falling as ABB broke into One Way Out. Good fuckin' times. The hit of windowpane sort of helped things along.

Jerry Garcia, Bill Kreutzman, and Boz Scaggs sat in after midnight, including an incredible rendition of Mountain Jam. I later heard that the story was that Butch Trucks got dosed backstage unknowingly and couldn't continue, so Kreutzman took over for the rest of the show.
:bode:
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Screwy, don’t take this too hard, but I’ll never forget you extolling the musical brilliance of MGMT many years ago. My jaw dropped when I heard a bit of their “music”. To post this in a thread where Betts, ABB, and Tull are topics is pure blasphemy and I should be obligated to off myself, but for Screwy’s listening pleasure here is some pure shit:

[youtube3]https://youtube.com/watch?v=tmozGmGoJuw ... e=youtu.be[/youtube3]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tmozGmGoJ ... e=youtu.be

WTF?!

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

dan's college room mate wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am After a little YouTube ABB binging last night, I gotta go with One Way Out live at Filmore East as most memorable.

That entire show was amazing. One of the greatest live performances evah.

There’s an extended version of that album that has the entire Filmore East run. Four shows maybe(?) with multiple versions of most of the songs, and some guest performers. And a remarkably insightful introduction from Bill Graham of this, at the time, not that well known band. For some, too much ABB maybe but a trove of great music. The original double album has picks from multiple shows.

https://youtu.be/79PmQDc8EVk?si=KG1CNlW6kqTHwJFO
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Mikey, you saw the intact original Marshall Tucker Band lineup, right? Do you agree that they were an immensely talented crew?

Those first few albums (thru Where We All Belong) are classics IMHO. And they were awesome live. Saw them many times.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

Sudden Sam wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 pm Screwy, don’t take this too hard, but I’ll never forget you extolling the musical brilliance of MGMT many years ago. My jaw dropped when I heard a bit of their “music”. To post this in a thread where Betts, ABB, and Tull are topics is pure blasphemy and I should be obligated to off myself, but for Screwy’s listening pleasure here is some pure shit:
Dear gawd.

That sounds like the shitty U2 album my iphone won't delete.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm Mikey, you saw the intact original Marshall Tucker Band lineup, right? Do you agree that they were an immensely talented crew?

Those first few albums (thru Where We All Belong) are classics IMHO. And they were awesome live. Saw them many times.
I just realized I put the wrong year in my earlier post. It was 12/31/73 not 1972. And it must have been the original MTB lineup because 73 was the first year that they went on tour. And yes they were really really good. I already had their first album, which came out that year. Seems like AAB sort of paved the way for a lot of bands in that genre that might not have gotten listened to so much previously, at least around here lol.

I think that’s the only time I saw them live. Hard to believe that they’re touring this year with Jefferson Starship. I wonder if any of the original members are left.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Doug Gray (vocals) was the last original member and that was years ago.

You’re right about the Allmans getting big and helping so many southern bands as far as gettting exposure and eventually getting signed. Wet Willie, Grinderswitch, MTB, Skynyrd, etc all were successful no small thanks to the ABB.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Sudden Sam wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm original Marshall Tucker Band lineup...an immensely talented crew?
Saw 'em once, ~1980, here in Phoenix. Excellent show.
He's still with them but shouldn't be. Saw this version of them withing the past couple yrs and while none of the instrumentalists are original, they're still good. Doug Gray is original, but can no longer keep up. Kinda sad.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 pm
Sudden Sam wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm original Marshall Tucker Band lineup...an immensely talented crew?
Saw 'em once, ~1980, here in Phoenix. Excellent show.
He's still with them but shouldn't be. Saw this version of them withing the past couple yrs and while none of the instrumentalists are original, they're still good. Doug Gray is original, but can no longer keep up. Kinda sad.
Sad, but understandable. He’s gotta be 75 or so.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Just want echo Smackie’s point about singers hanging around too long.

I saw a good example of this 2 years ago. Saw Gordon Lightfoot in Boston.

I’m a huge GL fan and I knew going in that he should have hung it up years ago, free tickets is free tickets.

Thankfully g0d thought the same and said that’s enough, Gordie, not long afterwards.

As for old dudes who I’d expect the same of but was pleasantly surprised would be Sting.

Saw him around the same time and he hasn’t lost anything off his fastball.

Only complaint about that show was him hiring Stewart Copeland’s kid to play drums.

Let’s just say that apple fell a very long way from the tree. His talent level was OK garage band, at best.

This was particularly annoying as his old man is one of the greatest rock drummers in history.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Some other “older” singers who still sound good. Not necessarily exactly the same, because everyone’s voice changes, but still fine:

Van Morrison
Dion DiMucci (though I’ve never actually seen him live)
Bonnie Raitt
James Taylor
Tom Johnston / Patrick Simmons
Steve Miller
And I guess you need to include Mick in this list

…off the top of my head. There are probably more
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Last time I heard Paul Rodgers sing he was still great.

Ian Hunter sounds good on his most recent album and doing some lines on a Dirty Knobs song from their last album.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

This thread shows that humanity still exists among us in this country. No matter what side you’re on, music will bring you together.

dan's college room mate
Jake

Post by dan's college room mate »

Go Coogs' wrote:This thread shows that humanity still exists among us in this country. No matter what side you’re on, music will bring you together.

Unless you’re a fukking idiot like Screwey who likes MGMT.

I get that musical tastes vary.

Steve Vai is like nails on a chalkboard to me (sorry Van, wherever you are) but I can appreciate his immense talent.

MGMT not so much.

I’ve attempted to listen to some of it.

Sounds like a handful of jr high kids taught themselves to play synthesizers and after a few weeks honing their skills, started writing songs.

The only possible explanation I see for a fan base and it’s one I can appreciate, is the fact that with minimal effort, any group of half-wits could become a passable MGMT cover band.

I still remember sitting at my drum kit as a 15 year old trying to copy Alex Van Halen. At the time I remember rationalizing it.

“Well, of course I can’t play this. I don’t have a double bass”.

Yeah, right kid. Sure, you just need a bigger kit.

Good thing I didn’t have YouTube videos of Buddy Rich at the time. I probably would have immediately busted my kit to tiny bits in frustration.

I’d bet money that Screwey has a Casio synthesizer right next to his jiz encrusted keyboard.

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

I’m a generation after most of you on this board. I grew up with G n’ R, Metallica, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, STP, Sound Garden, etc. I’m also a 6th generation Texan so local country music is in my blood.

Appreciate the creativity of all those greats from the 70s. They paved the way for the next gen.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Go Coogs' wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:24 pm This thread shows that humanity still exists among us in this country. No matter what side you’re on, music will bring you together.
Fuck off, nazi.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Go Coogs' wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:24 pm This thread shows that humanity still exists among us in this country. No matter what side you’re on, music will bring you together.
Fuck off, nazi.

HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

Smackie has a point.

I checked Go Coogs' post history and he isn't calling people nazis nearly often enough to be on the right side of history. It's obvious he is a Nazi lover.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Go Coogs' wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:50 pm I grew up with G n’ R, Metallica, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, STP, Sound Garden, etc.
Yes, that was a hell of an era. Was wistfully watching old Soundgarden performances the other day. They were basically a supergroup. Thayil, Cornell and Cameron. But even Ben Shephard wrote great songs.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.