Greetings from Gay Paree

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Greetings from Gay Paree

Post by Mikey »

Landed at CDG about an hour ago and waiting for the train for a three hour ride south. Not too much scenery so far.

Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Re: Greetings from Gay Paree

Post by Sudden Sam »

Cool! Have fun. Be safe, Mikey.
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Good times. Don't worry about 'coons dying in your pool.

:drink:
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

If you skip Versailles you’re dead to me.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Try not to turn into a pussy. You'll be surrounded by them.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

FiatLux wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:47 pm Try not to turn into a pussy. You'll be surrounded by them.
You mean the cheese eating surender monkeys? Don’t worry I already get plenty of practice just logging in here.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Mikey wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:16 pm
You mean the cheese eating surender monkeys? Don’t worry I already get plenty of practice just logging in here.
:lol:
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Mikey wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:16 pm
FiatLux wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:47 pm Try not to turn into a pussy. You'll be surrounded by them.

Yeah.

They do seem to have a lot in common with people from Alabama.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Have a great time, Mikey. Make sure to share photos. Have always wanted to visit France, especially Paris and the SE coast. Would die to see soccer games in Monaco (especially) and Paris. Nice would be great, too.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Keep your wallet and your passport in your front pocket. Gypsies are scum and will rob you blind. The French are awesome, though. Paris truly is "all that." Have a seat at a sidewalk cafe, tuck in to some Moules Marinières and watch the traffic pass by.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:32 pmHave always wanted to visit France, especially Paris and the SE coast.
Normandy is absolutely gorgeous. Solid stone farmhouses in the hedgerows, apple and pear orchards and small dairy farms. Get lit on calvados and feast on the some of the best cheese and butter in the world. A baguette with a schmear of butter and a thin slice of ham was the best sandwich I've ever had in my life.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:08 am Normandy is absolutely gorgeous. Solid stone farmhouses in the hedgerows, apple and pear orchards and small dairy farms. Get lit on calvados and feast on the some of the best cheese and butter in the world. A baguette with a schmear of butter and a thin slice of ham was the best sandwich I've ever had in my life.
Great suggestion, I feel like Dump (aka a terrible American) for not thinking about visiting Normandy on a trip to France. I'm sure I could find a soccer match to mix in around there.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

mvscal wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:08 am
Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:32 pmHave always wanted to visit France, especially Paris and the SE coast.
Normandy is absolutely gorgeous.
Normandy is NW. You couldn’t have picked a place further from where he wants to go. Ginger Hitler not paying attention to French Geography is just too rich.
Pedokkkal goes to France, only food he raves about is a ham sammy. What a galoof.
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

We were told that the French were rude and that Paris was dirty. We found neither to be the case. We used the public transportation in Paris (as we do everywhere in Europe), and found the French to be just as hospitable as any other European nation overrun with Americans and Chinese tourists.

I’m a gastro traveler. I want to eat what the locals eat, and not what is fed to tourists. The French love good food and wine. Go off the beaten path and flaneur.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Our niece is getting married on Saturday at a venue in a small town (“commune”) of about 1000 people called Jaillans. We’re staying close by in Valence , which is about halfway between Lyon to the north and Avignon to the South. You could draw a roughly equilateral triangle between Lyon, Valence and Grenoble to the east. Valence has about 70,000 people and a stop on the high speed rail (TGV) about three hours from CDG. Valence is on the Rhône River and has a lot of stuff to see, like an 11th century cathedral and museum, parks and stuff. We got in yesterday afternoon, checked into our hotel next to the train station, had some dinner and crashed so we haven’t seen anything yet. Plan on cruising into town today to look around before a pre-wedding “apero” tonight. Since we’re in one of the great wine regions of the world, I do plan on sampling my share of the local red (and white), but it’s hotter than fuck here (95 - 100 deg) in the afternoon.

Heading back to Paris for a couple of days on Sunday before flying back home on Wednesday. We’ll be staying in the Latin Quarter right near the Luxembourg Palace and gardens. Been warned over and over about pick pockets in Paris, so that will definitely be on our minds.

Everyone has been very nice here so far, even though I speak maybe ten total words of French. Maybe because this isn’t one of your big tourist areas?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I wish we had more time to tour around but the wedding is the main thing. I haven’t been to Europe since I was 19 and it’s been a pretty big challenge just figuring out how to get here and back. We’ll probably come back next year with more experience and time to do stuff. I think my priorities are a lot like 88’s. Food and wine are near the top of my list.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

The Tour de France finishes in Valence from time to time. The commentators are always going on about what a great place the Drome Department is. Apparently Nougat is a big thing there. Who knew?
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Been to Paris a handful of times, during both the Tour de France and Roland Garros. Also to Versailles, Toulouse, Marseille and Nice. The Frenchies are good peeps and better complainers than Americans. You would envy their high speed rail, Screwey. It’s a shame we don’t have it.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

Mikey wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:46 amHeading back to Paris for a couple of days on Sunday before flying back home on Wednesday.
If you are going to visit the Eiffel Tower (and you should), buy your elevator tickets ASAP. Otherwise, you will not likely be able to visit the top (or will have to wait for hours and hours to do so).

https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/rates-o ... t-top-lift
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

L45B wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:05 pm You would envy their high speed rail, Screwey. It’s a shame we don’t have it.
I've heard.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

88BuckeyeGrad wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:47 pm
Mikey wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:46 amHeading back to Paris for a couple of days on Sunday before flying back home on Wednesday.
If you are going to visit the Eiffel Tower (and you should), buy your elevator tickets ASAP. Otherwise, you will not likely be able to visit the top (or will have to wait for hours and hours to do so).

https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/rates-o ... t-top-lift
As an atty you sure do miss a lot of details. If he is leaving on Wed he has to do the tower by Tue. There is no way he is getting a tix for the top, in the Summer while less than a week out. The amount of things you don’t know is staggering. Probably too busy doin Nazi stuff.

Fuck off traitor.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Not really interested in going to the top. I did that when I was with my parents when I was 17. I still remember that and once is enough. My wife wants to go there and get a picture taken underneath because she has a picture of her and her brother (also Mike) taken there when she was two years old. We’re doing a dinner cruise on the Seine that takes off right there. Definitely going to the Louvre and Champs Elysee. My stepdaughter worked at the Gucci store there for about a year when she was in France in the late 80s. Playing the rest by ear.
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

There were tickets available for the top (on Monday) when I posted the link this morning. Otherwise, I would not have posted the link.

And I agree. Once to the top is enough for a lifetime.

Bon appétit!
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Does most of Paris still reek of piss as it did
when I was there in '87?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

kcdave wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:43 pm Does most of Paris still reek of piss as it did
when I was there in '87?
I hear that moved to San Francisco.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

My wife and I had no problem getting tickets to the top the day we went.

In August.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Carson wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:39 pm My wife and I had no problem getting tickets to the top the day we went.

In August.
Carson, Carson, Carson…obviously you must be mistaken. Kierland clearly pointed out that it’s not possible to get those tickets.

We all recognize that Kierland knows everything about everything.
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Yeah and he bets he could kick your ass too.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Meat Head wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:21 pm Yeah and he bets he could kick your ass too.
:lol:
If he can’t kick my ancient ass, he should start borrowing clothes from Sam Brinson and the Bud Light guy.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

That was literally my point. You Southerners might be slow. That’s it, end of sentence.

And yes I took the ten seconds it took to check before I called him out. Closest they had was Friday. You do understand you have the answer to almost every factual question right in your hand right?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We’re on the train right now from Valence back to Paris, Gare de Lyon in the Latin quarter. The trains are amazingly fast, smooth and comfortable. It’s a six hour drive by car (568 km), about 2:15 by train on a somewhat more direct route with just one stop in Lyon. Very scenic with fields of corn and rolled up hay, hedgerows, old stone buildings, and some forest. Like I said, the trains are fast and comfortable but they apparently don’t wash the windows very often so I don’t have any good pictures. This is the interior (we’re on the upper level of a double decker coach).

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We were staying in a hotel just outside Valence, next to the train station. 15 minute Uber to the center of town, which is on the Rhône River. Not a whole lot to see or do there, especially on a 96 deg afternoon. There are a lot of outdoor cafes and a beautiful park with lots of shade that makes it a little more pleasant.

Some giant sycamores

A real life Monet

Same fountain as above but from the opposite direction.

Going to take a nap now. Back in a while.
Bill in Houston
Eternal Scobode

Post by Bill in Houston »

You’re in one of the greatest wine-producing appellations in the world. Hope you’re enjoying something delicious.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Nice pics, Mikey!
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

It really is a shame our rail system is such shit.

There are a few reasons, number one being we are still richer than everyone which means we put most of our transportation $$$$ into roads.

Also, we are a much larger country. A 3,000 mile trip will always be much faster in the air. The fastest trains out there travel at about half the speed of a 737. The area where rail should be the preferred method of travel, the U&R is hamstrung by the fact that existing rail lines zig-zag a good bit due to the fact that they were layed out in areas that were already heavily developed. This could be fixed, but it wouldn't be cheap.

Then there is the fact that whatever we do, it would be overseen by a federal government entity. So, by definition, it would be dysfunctional.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You mean like the military?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I wonder who runs the French National Railway (SNCF)?

I also wonder if a successful national railway system in the US might be considered competition by certain large privately owned concerns. Off the top of my head I can think of maybe oil companies, automakers, tire companies, airlines, and other, privately owned, railroads. But I’m sure that none of them would exert any influence against a successful national railway system.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

As I’m sure you know. We had a rail system. Every major city had rail transportation. SLO had a great little train that went to Avila beach and yes it was those rapacious kleptos that killed them.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I haven’t had time to add to this the past couple of days, but here’s a short video that I shot last night from our dinner cruise on the Seine. I thought that the combination rain, the reflections in the window, and the lasers from the top combined for pretty cool effect. Every so often the entire tower goes all sparkly for a few minutes. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to pick that up.

Roach
The Space Man

Post by Roach »

Mikey did you decide to try to go to the top of the Tower anyway?

"Two American tourists were found running around naked and sleeping off a heavy night in the heights of Paris' Eiffel Tower on Monday, after dodging security the night before, the monument's operator said Tuesday.

"The inebriated Americans had spent their illicit night under the stars in a spot normally closed to the public between the tower's second and third levels, but "did not pose any apparent threat," said Sete."

https://news.yahoo.com/american-tourist ... 30138.html