And the clown show rolls on...

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

And the clown show rolls on...

Post by Mikey »

These morons are willing to crash the economy, demanding spending cuts that they can't even agree on. Cuts to money that's already spent, in programs that they voted for when the Orange Cheeto was President.

But...but...but...at least they're focusing on other peoples' gender preferences and denying healthcare to women.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2 ... -joe-biden
When Kevin McCarthy’s spending cuts get spelled out, even Republicans balk

Whether you’re for the demand by House Republicans for deep spending cuts as a condition for raising the nation’s debt ceiling or you’re against it, there are some things you should know in assessing their gambit.

Perhaps the single most important fact is this: While Speaker Kevin McCarthy likes to claim that his debt limit bill would break Democrats’ “addiction to spending,” the Republicans — whose own appetite for spending is well established — would subject just 13% of federal spending to the knife.

They’ve said they’ll exempt national defense, some veterans programs, Social Security and Medicare, which amounts to about half of all spending. As for the portion they’re targeting, so-called domestic discretionary spending, that relatively small part of the overall budget covers just about everything else the government does, and that Americans expect it to do.

So the predictable has begun: The Republicans are having trouble making good on their boasts of easy-peasy spending cuts.

In short, they’re threatening the nation’s first default, and the chaos that would follow, by demanding spending cuts that many of them don’t truly want to become law.

We got evidence of the squeeze this week, even as McCarthy, in his on-again, off-again debt ceiling negotiations with President Biden, was full of budget-cutting bravado to reporters. Just before midnight on Monday — midnight! — the House Appropriations Committee canceled its Tuesday and Wednesday meetings when voting was scheduled on the first of the dozen bills that annually fund the federal government’s operations. Those bills have to fill in the gory details of the spending cuts that Republicans left unidentified when they passed McCarthy’s debt limit bill last month.

The stated reason for the postponement: The committee’s Republican majority wanted to give McCarthy “maximum flexibility” in his talks with Biden.

The real reason: They didn’t have the votes to pass their own bills. Failure, in turn, would have undercut McCarthy’s leverage in the negotiations.

Rep. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut, the senior Democrat on the committee, got her email canceling the meetings at 11:53 p.m. She called it “a sign of unraveling” among Republicans, given that the cuts they were finally specifying “are so staggering.”

McCarthy’s debt-limit bill calls for trimming 9% from the $1.6 trillion that currently goes to annual discretionary spending. But with Republicans’ promised exemptions for the Pentagon and some veterans programs, the cuts in what’s left on the table would reach something close to a devastating 30%. Accounting for inflation, the reductions would be even greater.

Even then, the savings generated would be small relative to the nation’s annual budget deficits. And Republicans, if they have their way, would in effect wipe out those savings by extending all the Trump-era tax cuts for another decade, adding trillions more to the federal debt they purport to fear.

So what’s included in the budget slice that Republicans want to carve up? The bills stalled in the Appropriations Committee by Republicans’ infighting would cover spending for agriculture, including farm subsidies and nutrition programs; border protections and homeland security; a new program to assist veterans exposed to toxins during wartime; and the construction and maintenance of military facilities and housing, to name some.

Also on the Republicans’ block in future appropriations bills: air traffic control; cancer and Alzheimer’s research; Meals on Wheels; infrastructure in general; opioid treatments; Head Start; rail, food and drug safety; and much, much more. Although Social Security and Medicare wouldn’t face cuts, good luck getting assistance once the programs’ staffing is reduced.

“Washington cannot continue to spend money we do not have at the expense of children and grandchildren,” McCarthy tweeted. Yet children, more than their grandparents drawing Social Security and Medicare, would be among the Americans most affected by the proposed cuts, and not just because of the reductions in education, nutrition, housing and healthcare programs that benefit many of them now.

At stake is the country they’ll inherit. Economists and fiscal experts consider much of the spending that is at issue as “seed corn” investments in physical and human capital, with a proven return.

How the debt limit talks end is anyone’s guess. I’m as concerned as the “scared” right-of-center experts I quoted months ago now that we’re nearing the June deadline when the Treasury says it will no longer be able to borrow to meet obligations incurred by past presidents and Congresses.

Republicans say they’ll make no concessions, that agreeing to raise the debt ceiling is concession enough. Really? Lifting the debt limit is their patriotic duty, especially considering their complicity in driving up the debt — fully a quarter of it during Donald Trump’s presidency.

“I believe there are a number of members on the other side of the aisle that understand the hypocrisy here,” DeLauro told me. “But they’re not going to say anything.”

And consider this: Republicans want to raise the debt limit only enough to allow the Treasury to borrow through next spring. What then? They’ll hold us up for more spending cuts.

That would be on top of the ones they’re already having trouble producing, while threatening the nation with economic disaster.
Roach
The Space Man

Re: And the clown show rolls on...

Post by Roach »

Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

Lots of rhetoric, half truths, curated headlines, grandstanding and well-worn talking points from both sides.

I expect everyone on this board will play their respective roles and believe/repeat whatever their media gods tell them.

This is by design to keep the proles from asking the right questions or digging too deep into the real issues.

Give them bread and circus.
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

“Both sides are the same.”

Brought to you by: Lonnie Baker
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Donnie Baker wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 pm Lots of rhetoric, half truths, curated headlines, grandstanding and well-worn talking points from both sides.

I expect everyone on this board will play their respective roles and believe/repeat whatever their media gods tell them.

This is by design to keep the proles from asking the right questions or digging too deep into the real issues.

Oh really? Our "media gods" communicate facts and seek the truth. Your media gods, on the other hand, are inspiring psychotic Qtards to physically threaten Target employees with lies that the store is selling "trans-friendly" and "tuckable" swimwear to children.

Take your trite "both sides are bad" and shove it up your rear.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Holy shit, Screwy. You are one dumb motherfucker. Jesus Spit-roasted Christ.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:31 pm Holy shit, Screwy. You are one dumb motherfucker. Jesus Spit-roasted Christ.
Nice white flag
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Donnie Baker wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 pm This is by design to keep the proles from asking the right questions or digging too deep into the real issues.
Like why the GOP thinks it's acceptable to give away $2.3 TRILLION in tax cuts to the wealthy but now think that cuts in services for the rest of us should be used to make up the shortfall in income?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

mvscal wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:31 pm Holy shit, Screwy. You are one dumb motherfucker. Jesus Spit-roasted Christ.
That’s not a take.
What a tard.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:26 pm
Our "media gods" communicate facts and seek the truth.
:shock:

Screwy! No way you posted this!
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Donnie wrote:Lots of rhetoric, half truths, curated headlines, grandstanding and well-worn talking points from both sides.

Yep.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:26 am
Donnie Baker wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 pm This is by design to keep the proles from asking the right questions or digging too deep into the real issues.
Like why the GOP thinks it's acceptable to give away $2.3 TRILLION in tax cuts to the wealthy but now think that cuts in services for the rest of us should be used to make up the shortfall in income?
How can you "give away" something you don't have and doesn't even belong to you? While you're at it, define "wealthy." I benefited from those tax cuts and I am pretty fucking far from wealthy.

Once again here you are spewing preprogrammed talking points like the brainless sock puppet that you are.

~SQUAWK!! Tax cuts for the rich!! SQUAWK!!

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

The top 1% got 24% of the benefits from the cut, by 2027 it will be just about all of it. But I’m sure your feelings don’t care about that.
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

This thread is following the script just as predicted. Goddam I'm a genius.
Shut up, Randy!
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Donnie Baker wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:20 pm This thread is following the script just as predicted. Goddam I'm a genius.
Yup, just like your hero...

“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

YEAH! WHATABOUT TRUMP!?!?

Dude, you're going to kill Kierland with this stuff.
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

That’s not Whataboutism. Learn basic logic and get back to us.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Donnie Baker wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 pm Lots of rhetoric, half truths, curated headlines, grandstanding and well-worn talking points from both sides.

In other words you don’t like what she’s saying, it but won’t refute any part of it.

Nothingburger

Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Read my post again, Mikey. See the first sentence? Where it says "from both sides." You're making this partisan, not me. I'm calling out the system, the process. You're playing semantics because you've been trained to do so.

These are the same tired old arguments we've heard for 40 years. Republicans want to starve the poor; Democrats want to cut defense; blah blah and on and on. Nothing ever changes. They're the same fucking arguments. Why? FUCKING WHY??? Ask yourself why it's the same goddam talking points you've heard and repeated for FORTY TITTYFUCKING YEARS yet defense always gets funded and the poor always get more benefits but we rehash this same bullshit every few years. WHY??

I'll tell you why. Because it fucking WORKS. You're being played. And so am I. We're being given bread and political circus and made to feel like we're part of the process. If we cheer loud enough the elephant will stand up to the donkey and vice versa. We read, we click, we share, and the political machine rolls on doing what it does; doing what it's always done. The grift never stops. It just shifts focus every so often. Republicans spend the public's money on shit that enriches their donors while the other side caterwauls. Democrats spend the public's money on shit that enriches their donors while the other side caterwauls. It's all a show because in the end every donor benefits and the members of each tribe cheer and bang their canes on the table "Hear hear!" thinking they won something other than a delayed ass fucking. It's a joke. It's a fucking clown show and morons like you AND ME are the idiots in the pews thinking our voice matters. Where you and I differ is I am trying to wake up and I am trying to wake you up. You seem content to play the game. The same game you've played your entire life. Can you see that? Can you see that nothing you've done matters?

If you had made a difference, and if I had made a difference, then things would be different. They aren't.
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Double down on tHeY ArE bOTH tHe saMe
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

No KPG this time. I know he has nothing to add but can't stop posting. What a fuckken tool.
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Says the guy too scared to read someone’s words.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Donnie Baker wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:49 pm Read my post again, Mikey. See the first sentence? Where it says "from both sides." You're making this partisan, not me. I'm calling out the system, the process. You're playing semantics because you've been trained to do so.

These are the same tired old arguments we've heard for 40 years. Republicans want to starve the poor; Democrats want to cut defense; blah blah and on and on. Nothing ever changes. They're the same fucking arguments. Why? FUCKING WHY??? Ask yourself why it's the same goddam talking points you've heard and repeated for FORTY TITTYFUCKING YEARS yet defense always gets funded and the poor always get more benefits but we rehash this same bullshit every few years. WHY??

I'll tell you why. Because it fucking WORKS. You're being played. And so am I. We're being given bread and political circus and made to feel like we're part of the process. If we cheer loud enough the elephant will stand up to the donkey and vice versa. We read, we click, we share, and the political machine rolls on doing what it does; doing what it's always done. The grift never stops. It just shifts focus every so often. Republicans spend the public's money on shit that enriches their donors while the other side caterwauls. Democrats spend the public's money on shit that enriches their donors while the other side caterwauls. It's all a show because in the end every donor benefits and the members of each tribe cheer and bang their canes on the table "Hear hear!" thinking they won something other than a delayed ass fucking. It's a joke. It's a fucking clown show and morons like you AND ME are the idiots in the pews thinking our voice matters. Where you and I differ is I am trying to wake up and I am trying to wake you up. You seem content to play the game. The same game you've played your entire life. Can you see that? Can you see that nothing you've done matters?

If you had made a difference, and if I had made a difference, then things would be different. They aren't.
Very accurate.

RACK Donnie Baker!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Again the difference between “lets fuck with women and blacks and the gays and the trans” and “lets not do that” is not a both sides are getting played scenario. We can’t eat rich people if you violent fucks keep coming after all the marginalized people.

Fuck you people are stupid.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Kierland wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:28 pm Double down on tHeY ArE bOTH tHe saMe
Because they are. They each exist to enrich their upper echelon. Not to save the poor. Not to protect us. Not to create a better society.

Abolish lobbying. Institute term limits. All laws that apply to you and me apply to the members of Congress.

We’re pretty much done anyway. We’ve run our course. It’s China’s turn.

If you think we fuck with gays and blacks, you ain’t seen nuthin’ yet. Wait ‘til the Chinese run things. Holy shit you’re gonna be shocked! Marginalized groups will long for the good ol’ days…like in the 2020s!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Again for the slow southerners, we can’t unite to eat rich people while you are calling trans people freaks and laying your dirty paws on women’s vaginas, but you keep up the “we aren’t so bad cause China is worse.” Nobody cares about your Whataboutism.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Kierland wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:10 am …you keep up the “we aren’t so bad cause China is worse.” Nobody cares about your Whataboutism.
I suggest you be careful what you wish for. Things could get a helluva lot worse.

BTW, we ‘slow southerners’ get a kick out of you elitist fuckers who think you’re so much brighter. You’re not.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

So in a post where I didn’t wish for anything but you said I did you decided to tell me how smart you fucking hicks are. Priceless.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

You’ve made it clear that you prefer a socialist government The Chinese are the most likely new bosses.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Pretzel logic. Changing your economic model does not equate to giving up sovereignty you fucking backwards hate monger.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Kierland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:39 pm Changing your economic model does not equate to giving up sovereignty
Not necessarily, but we’ve played right into their hands. You may not be cheering China on, but they’re likely the new dominant power.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Nice backpedal.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Kierland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:55 pm Nice backpedal.
You must be really popular at parties.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Nice white flag.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

As I said…
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

I am 100% certain that people in Kierland's vicinity pretend to have indigestion, sprained ankles, emergency phone calls, car trouble, and oppressive overtime to avoid conversing with him. Can you imagine this stooge at a work party repeating the same four takes over and over? Or regaling them with how many internet nazis he's been pWning? Carol from HR has probably texted Jim from records offering a blowie if he gets her out of a conversation with K about the debt ceiling. Fukken Bet!
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You can stop obsessing over me anytime. It’s fucking creepy.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Donnie Baker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:45 am I am 100% certain that people in Kierland's vicinity pretend to have indigestion, sprained ankles, emergency phone calls, car trouble, and oppressive overtime to avoid conversing with him. Can you imagine this stooge at a work party repeating the same four takes over and over? Or regaling them with how many internet nazis he's been pWning? Carol from HR has probably texted Jim from records offering a blowie if he gets her out of a conversation with K about the debt ceiling. Fukken Bet!
:bode:
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Donnie Baker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:45 am I am 100% certain that people in Kierland's vicinity pretend to have indigestion, sprained ankles, emergency phone calls, car trouble, and oppressive overtime to avoid conversing with him. Can you imagine this stooge at a work party repeating the same four takes over and over? Or regaling them with how many internet nazis he's been pWning? Carol from HR has probably texted Jim from records offering a blowie if he gets her out of a conversation with K about the debt ceiling. Fukken Bet!
It's a fun take, and I chuckled, but a few folks here have met Kierland in person and said he is a nice guy.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You’re check is in the mail.