I made k

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

I made k

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

alua pork last night. I forgot how good that is. It's been probably 20 years.

Seasoned by injecting garlic powder, liquid smoke, and pink salt.

Wrapped an 8lb roast in 6 leaves, and since I don't have the awesome smoker setups a lot of you guys have I wrapped that mass in 5 layers of aluminum foil.

Cooked on the gas grill with indirect heat at 250F for 5 hours to 185F internal temp.

Sorry no pics. Use your imagination.

this is when you all pretend to be native Pac Islanders and tell me I did it wrong. Go!
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Re: I made k

Post by Kierland »

185? Why didn’t you just throw it in a fire and burn it?
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Aaand we're off!
Shut up, Randy!
Bill in Houston
Eternal Scobode

Post by Bill in Houston »

Uh, yeah.

You could eat my boots and get the same shit
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Bill in Houston wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:23 am Uh, yeah.

Uh, no. 185 for pork shoulder is actually little iffy unless you're slicing. Pulled pork you will want about 195.

Don't wrap it in foil, though, ffs. You will get no bark. Fuck those savages. What the fuck do they know about BBQ?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Bill in Houston
Eternal Scobode

Post by Bill in Houston »

mvscal wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:40 am
Bill in Houston wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:23 am Uh, yeah.

Uh, no. 185 for pork shoulder is actually little iffy unless you're slicing. Pulled pork you will want about 195.

Don't wrap it in foil, though, ffs. You will get no bark. Fuck those savages. What the fuck do they know about BBQ?
So you destroy good pork? Eat what you want dipshit, don’t advise anyone as to how to ruin their food.
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

A dare, no, I double-fucking-dare any of you internet chefs to eat boston butt at 145°. Holy shit some of you should shut your mouths when you don't know anything.

mvscal, I think you're right about the 195 mark. The outside shredded and the inside needed to be sliced. I love bark but the banana leaves impart a unique flavor that's worth the trade off occasionally.
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Nice Strawman.
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Kierland wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:35 am Nice Strawman.
Donnie Baker wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:19 am Holy shit some of you should shut your mouths when you don't know anything.
Shut up, Randy!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Everywhere I check it says the ideal internal temperature for a pork butt or shoulder roast is 195 to 205. If you take it off at 195 the internal temperature will probably reach 200 during the rest. You usually hit “the stall” between about 150 to 170 deg when the internal moisture is evaporating off, and it can last for hours depending on the cut and your equipment. Last time I did one I ran out of time and pulled it off at around 185. Nice bark, the flavor was fine, but the inside part was a little tough for pulling.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

For the stall you can use butcher paper. I prefer it to foil. It breathes. I have foiled brisket before and didn't really care for the result. It just seemed like pot roast to me. I've never really had a problem with pork shoulder stalling. I break the roast down into smaller pieces. Two four pound roasts will not stall like a single eight pound roast plus you get more bark.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.