Rivals 100 and the NFL draft

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Rivals 100 and the NFL draft

Post by Vito Corleone »

Found this on Hornfans.come and thought it was interesting Numbers taken from 99 - 2k1

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthrea ... o=0&fpart=

There are 259 players who were once members of the Rivals 100 who are no longer playing college football. While some of those might show up at a D-II school one day, the vast majority used their eligibility up before they walked away from the college gridiron.

Two (Manuel Wright and Roscoe Crosby) have expressed a desire to be in a supplemental NFL draft this summer. Another (Demetris Summers) is training for the 2006 draft but won't be in school between now and then. Two (DaBryan Blanton and Mario Whitney) decided to focus on track. A couple (like Bryan Pickryl, or Jim Unis) still have eligibility left at the school they first signed with, but appear to have retired with injuries they couldn't overcome.

Anyway, the bottom line is that there are about 240, 250 who have finished their four years of D-1 ball and had their names in the NFL draft pool. Figuring 250 or so draft picks each year, and Rivals 100 as the top 100 players in a given draft class, pick a number of players from that top 100 you'd expect to see drafted. Now read on....

From the class of 1999, 63 did not get drafted. 35 did. There is one (Tony Milton of Georgia) still playing in 2005, and one (Walter Young in the Major Leagues) who never started his eligibility clock.

Of the 35 who were drafted, 7 were top 20 picks; 20 were top 100 picks; 26 were picked with a higher (worse) draft pick than their Rivals100 ranking; 3 went to Texas; 3 to Michigan; and no more than 2 anywhere else. Both Texas A&M picks went much lower than their Rivals 100 ranking, all three Texas players much higher.

From the class of 2000, 71 did not get drafted. 25 did. Three (Quinn Sypniewski of Colorado; Albert Hollis of Georgia; Shyrone Carey of LSU) are still playing college football. 15 of the picks were top 100. 3 of the 25 were from Stanford. 3 were from Miami. 6 were from Florida State, and 5 of those were top 62 picks. Only 5 were picked with a better draft pick than their Rivals ranking.

Thought I'd see which schools did the best job of getting their Rivals100 talent into the NFL.

Based on the first college they attended (not the one they first signed with):

Alabama: 4 of 9 got drafted
Arizona: 0 of 2
Arizona State: 1 of 2
Arkansas: 4 of 6
Auburn: 2 of 3
Boston College: 1 of 5
Cal: 1 of 2
Central Florida: 1 of 1
Clemson: 2 of 5 so far, with Roscoe Crosby making it either 2 of 6 or 3 of 6 once the supplemental draft takes place this summer.
Colorado: 0 of 2
East Carolina: 0 of 2
Florida: 3 of 13
Florida State: 11 of 18
Georgia: 1 of 5
Georgia Tech: 0 of 2
Iowa: 0 of 2
JUCO's: 0 of 3
Kansas State: 0 of 2
Kentucky: 0 of 1
LSU: 5 of 10
Maryland: 0 of 1
Miami: 7 of 11
Michigan: 4 of 7
Michigan State: 3 of 7
Minnesota: 1 of 1
Mississippi: 1 of 1
Mississippi State: 0 of 1
Missouri: 0 of 1
Nebraska: 0 of 4
North Carolina: 1 of 4
Notre Dame: 3 of 9
Ohio State: 3 of 11
Oklahoma: 4 of 7
Oklahoma State: 0 of 1
Oregon State: 1 of 1
Penn State: 1 of 9
Pittsburgh: 0 of 2
Purdue: 1 of 2
South Carolina: 0 of 1
Southern California: 2 of 10 (possibility of 3 of 11 after Manuel Wright goes in the supplemental draft this summer)
Stanford: 3 of 7
Syracuse: 1 of 2
Tennessee: 3 of 14
Texas: 7 of 17
Texas A&M: 2 of 5
Texas Christian: 0 of 1
Tulane: 0 of 1
UCLA: 4 of 9
UNLV: 0 of 1
Virginia: 0 of 2
Virginia Tech: 1 of 2
Washington: 1 of 5
Washington State: 0 of 3
Wisconsin: 1 of 2

No huge surprises there, other than the fact that the best of the big boys (Miami) only hit on 64%. The fact that six of the seven got drafted in the top 100 picks is remarkable.

Questions? Thoughts?
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

I'm asking a question that I already know the answer to, but f it. What is Texas fan's fascination with recruiting...?

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I've got a question that I also know the answer to but I will ask it anyway. Why is blOwU fan so hypocritical about recruiting?

You know you f'ers follow recruiting as much as any other schools fans but still act like recruiting doesn't matter.

If by your question you are inferring that recruiting doesn't matter then why would a Jimmy Johnson go from OSU to Miami and win multiple MNC there? Why would Lou Holtz go from arkansas to Notre Dame and win a MNC? Why don't teams like Wyoming win MNCs?

Could it be because recruiting does matter...
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

I think all fans follow recruiting a little. but texas fan seem to have a strange fascination. other than the beginning of feb when players actually sign, I dont even pay attention to recruiting.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

We're "hypocritical" about recruiting (and what's "BlOwU?) because we've got the best example in the world of the difference between good talent and well-coached talent right there in the Cotton Bowl every year... We know that we can still beat your team without a Top 5 class... but we GET that class because of the manner in which we beat your team and then take "your" players, who gladly come to a place where they can compete for something other than a ring that's sized in Feb.

the_ouskull
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

FSU 11-18. Would have liked to see a Nat'l title come out of that group though.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

the_ouskull wrote:We're "hypocritical" about recruiting (and what's "BlOwU?) because we've got the best example in the world of the difference between good talent and well-coached talent right there in the Cotton Bowl every year... We know that we can still beat your team without a Top 5 class... but we GET that class because of the manner in which we beat your team and then take "your" players, who gladly come to a place where they can compete for something other than a ring that's sized in Feb.

the_ouskull
Funny how winning in October hasn't helped much in December and January when the Stoopid bunch tend to fall apart.

I think its pretty obvious that Stoops as a coach tends to get the best out of his kids in Sept and Oct and then they fall apart in Dec and Jan. Mack's teams may be slow starters but they are pretty good finishers.

BTW you have had more talent than any team in the country over the last 2 years and have one conf title and nothing else to show for it. So spare me the bullshit about winning championships because Stoops lucked out one year (2k) and since then with better talent has been blowing his wad early. Mack may be coach Feb but Stoops is fast becomeing Coach Sept.

BTW blOwU is what Longhorn guys expect when they meet Sooner girls in Dallas. It's the only redeeming quality of your school/state.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

peter dragon wrote:I think all fans follow recruiting a little. but texas fan seem to have a strange fascination. other than the beginning of feb when players actually sign, I dont even pay attention to recruiting.
Texas does the majority of their recruiting between May and Aug saving the last few ships for the real difference makers that are taking their time. Right now Texas has 21 commits 5 from the rivals 100 list and 2 being rated as 5-star.

For those like skull who have the reading comprehension level of an ant, the article is more of a slam against rivals than anything else. It basically points out that we can get worked up over a Rivals 100 ranking but it is still highly unlikely that these kids are going to excel enough to make it into the NFL.

Statistics plainly show that roughly 70% of the Rivals 100 list don’t get drafted into the NFL. Now it is true that some get injured, others flunk out, but the fact is that the odds of success for even the elite athletes is very low.

What is not low however is the odds of team success when they get top ranked recruiting classes. You can pretty much go back 4 and 5 years and look at who was ranked where in the Rivals 100 list and they are pretty close to that same ranking in the polls.

Texas was ranked #1 in 2k2 and #6 in 2k1 for recruiting classes, I feel pretty confident that they will finish this coming season ranked between 1 and 6 at the end of the year.

Fact is teams that maintain a top 15 ranking in recruiting will pretty much maintain a top 15 ranking in the polls.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

vito: why not explain to us how OU/Stoops "lucked out" in 2000.

i'd like to hear you make that argument. i'd like to see you support that claim with some facts, and whatnot.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

King Crimson wrote:vito: why not explain to us how OU/Stoops "lucked out" in 2000.

i'd like to hear you make that argument. i'd like to see you support that claim with some facts, and whatnot.
Sure, you see you played FSU for the championship when everyone with half a brain knew that the best team was Miami. Had you played Miami then Stoops would have been bitch slapped like he has been the last two years.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

First of all... ^^^^^ off that shit troll. Second...
Funny how winning in October hasn't helped much in December and January when the Stoopid bunch tend to fall apart.
Response #1: Yeah, make sure you send us a postcard from another San Diego losing effort.

Response #2: At least we know before the end of the year that we'll be PLAYING in January, motherfucker.

the_ouskull
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Vito Corleone wrote:
King Crimson wrote:vito: why not explain to us how OU/Stoops "lucked out" in 2000.

Sure, you see you played FSU for the championship when everyone with half a brain knew that the best team was Miami. Had you played Miami then Stoops would have been bitch slapped like he has been the last two years.
Why wasn't it Washington, who beat Miami that year and finished 10-1?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Vito Corleone wrote:

just conjecture on your part. a hypothetical situation is not proving anything.

maybe if Butch Davis got on TV and whined like a little bitch Miami might have got into the championship game in 2000....like some other coach i can think of last year who cried his way into the Rose Bowl.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

King Crimson wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote:

maybe if Butch Davis got on TV and whined like a little bitch Miami might have got into the championship game in 2000....like some other coach i can think of last year who cried his way into the Rose Bowl.
Yeah and Bob didn't say that his team deserved to play in the Sugar Bowl against LSU? You guys have selective memory when it comes to your beloved Sooners. Stoops also said that a team didn't deserve to play for a MNC if it didn't win its own conference and that sure changed after KSU beat OU.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote:

Maybe if Miami hadn't been beaten like red headed step children against Washington they would have had the oppertunity to get their asses handed to them in the same fashion that Free Shoes did.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Suncoast Wrote:
Maybe if Miami hadn't been beaten like red headed step children against Washington they would have had the oppertunity to get their asses handed to them in the same fashion that Free Shoes did.

not that it is any of MY business but 13-2 hardly counts as getting your ass handed to you?

Anyway carry on, pretty entertaining thread so far...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Suncoast Wrote:

not that it is any of MY business but 13-2 hardly counts as getting your ass handed to you?

Anyway carry on, pretty entertaining thread so far...
That game could have gone on another month and the only hope of Florida State scoring would be for Blake Ferguson (the OU punter) to see the field a couple more times.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

fair enough Buckeye:

but, 2000 FSU was one of the "most prolific" offenses in all of NCAA football history/statistic and was shut out by Oklahoma's D. Oklahoma was a double digit dog.

zero points. it was kind of an ass-handing.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Harvdog wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote: Sure, you see you played FSU for the championship when everyone with half a brain knew that the best team was Miami. Had you played Miami then Stoops would have been bitch slapped like he has been the last two years.

Yeah and Bob didn't say that his team deserved to play in the Sugar Bowl against LSU? You guys have selective memory when it comes to your beloved Sooners. Stoops also said that a team didn't deserve to play for a MNC if it didn't win its own conference and that sure changed after KSU beat OU.

and who better to talk about winning conferences than UT fan?
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

ok so I hear what you two are saying but 13-2 the game was kind of ugly... but at the same time it was nice to see FSU lose being as they had no business being in that game (sorry to the good FSU fans on this board just my opinion)

now NU vs Miami that counts as an ass raping...and last years game (sorry sooner fan) that COUNTS as a major ass raping...

don't worry soon enough Texas will have two losses on the docket and will be relegated to their bowl season home in San Diego again!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:..and last years game (sorry sooner fan) that COUNTS as a major ass raping...

!
no argument from me.

i couldn't sit down for two weeks.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:ok so I hear what you two are saying but 13-2 the game was kind of ugly... but at the same time it was nice to see FSU lose being as they had no business being in that game (sorry to the good FSU fans on this board just my opinion)
No hard feelings here buckeye...with Snoop suspended and no offensive game plan (Richt was going to Georgia) we probably didn't deserve to be there. But, when you are the returning National Champions from the first ever Wire to Wire #1 season with Wink at the helm...you're likely to get the benefit of the doubt.

I will say two things though...

1. It was a blow out. Even though the score wasn't indicative of it, FSU could not move the ball at all, the OU "d" was good and the offensive scheme was equally terrible.

2. Our defense was plenty good to be in that game.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Chief/Sooner fans I see both points...damn...

Chief I did forget Wink was at the helm that year...I guess I was one of the many who got wrapped up in the whole Miami vs FSU debacle, then factor in U-Dub vs Miami and well you have 3 teams that prolly could have been there against OU...

not saying the outcome would have been any different...I would say OU definitely beats U-Dub. They obviously beat FSU, and against Miami that year well prolly a toss up...

It was nice to see Miami beat Florida though in the Sugar...
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

King Crimson wrote:
Harvdog wrote:
King Crimson wrote: just conjecture on your part. a hypothetical situation is not proving anything.

Which has nothing to do with your original point about coaches whining to get to a bowl. But, if I had stuck my foot in my mouth, I would probably change the subject too. :P
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

buckeye_in_sc wrote: It was nice to see Miami beat Florida though in the Sugar...
Yes it was. It helps a little when your arch rival is also Miami's little bitch! :lol:
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Harvdog wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Harvdog wrote: Yeah and Bob didn't say that his team deserved to play in the Sugar Bowl against LSU? You guys have selective memory when it comes to your beloved Sooners. Stoops also said that a team didn't deserve to play for a MNC if it didn't win its own conference and that sure changed after KSU beat OU.

Which has nothing to do with your original point about coaches whining to get to a bowl. But, if I had stuck my foot in my mouth, I would probably change the subject too. :P

well, since one coach did whine to get into a bowl and has not EVER won a conference championship....i'd say both modifiers fit nicely.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

King Crimson wrote:
Harvdog wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

well, since one coach did whine to get into a bowl and has not EVER won a conference championship....i'd say both modifiers fit nicely.
Again, this has nothing to do with your original point. It reminds me of when I would get in trouble as a kid and I would say something to try and deflect the blame to someone else. Your point was to take a shot at Mack Brown when Bob Sttops did the exact same thing a year before. I didn't see any bitching from OU fan about that. It is simple, it it Texas so therefore it is worse than Bin Laden.

Based on your logic, when Mack wins the Big XII this year, it will be OK. Thanks
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

not take a shot at Mack Brown, but announce how it is based on results.

when=if.

you UT guys are hilarious.
"
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Mack Brown, in __+ years of coaching, has never won a conference title as a head coach. This season, he's coming in with a MOUND of expectations on his shoulders... expectations that he's NEVER, not even ONCE, lived up to...

...and a QB that can't pass.

I think two losses by the middle of October. If not, then yeah, there's a shot...

the_ouskull