removing utorrent toolbar

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

removing utorrent toolbar

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I recently installed utorrent, and during the download process I made sure to de-select all the boxes to download the utorrent toolbar. Sure enough, it went ahead and installed it anyway (bastards). I use Firefox, so I went into tools/add-ons and removed it as a browser add-on. However when I go to control panel/add-remove programs, it still shows that the utorrent toolbar is still installed on my computer. When I attempt to uninstall it, it doesn't do anything at all. I've read that it can contain malware and other viruses so I'd like to wipe it out completely, but can't seem to. I also tried uninstalling utorrent, but that didn't work.

Basically, I wiped it off of Firefox, but not my laptop. So I'm not sure if it's still a threat or not. The name of the file is uTorrentControl_v6 Toolbar.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Re: removing utorrent toolbar

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

If you're feeling adventurous, you could always give CCleaner a shot:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

WARNING: CCleaner can completely hose your system. I'd make a complete system backup before unleashing the fury of CCleaner, just in case.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Have you tried restoring to a previous date?

Actually, the running tech-joke probably has some merit here.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Try this: http://blog.teesupport.com/how-to-remov ... val-steps/

Maybe you can try to uninstall it from another browser like IE if it put it there as well. Otherwise I'd try to search for it in the registry and files and manualy try to destroy it. One of the best ways to try to do that is to use a process explorer like:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx

On this one, you should be able to track what registry and files the stupid thing touches when it runs, and disable it that way. from what I saw, the toolbar is probably disabled, but it may have some update piece that keeps running.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

So far, no such luck. My machine is running pretty smoothly so I think I'll just monitor things and see how it goes. It's wiped out of my browsers and I believe it's wiped off my computer as well, but the actual program is still showing up in the add/remove programs section of the control panel for some reason.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:My machine is running pretty smoothly so I think I'll just monitor things and see how it goes.
You'll be singing a different tune when The Alliance goes balls deep in your Windows registry.

Once Dan J goes Deliverance on your hard drive, wave goodbye to every scrap of personal info you've ever stored on your computer.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I ran three different virus and malware scans and nothing was detected.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:You'll be singing a different tune when The Alliance goes balls deep in your Windows registry.

Once Dan J goes Deliverance on your hard drive, wave goodbye to every scrap of personal info you've ever stored on your computer.
Holy shit, that is funny.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.