2016 Tourney Talk

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

2016 Tourney Talk

Post by Shoalzie »

Since we seem to more interested in college hockey around here these days...I'm ready to talk tournament.

Pairwise shows only Michigan is safe in the B1G heading into next weekend's playoff. Minnesota is just on the outside in spite of a regular season conference title. It'll probably be Michigan or Minnesota taking this one...seems only appropriate if they meet in the finals.

It seemed the contenders in the league had at least one nemesis during the season...
Michigan had only 1 win in 4 games against Ohio State
Penn State was swept by Michigan and beaten badly at that.
Minnesota split with Michigan and while they swept Ohio State...they had to beat them 3 times in OT.

Hockey East...Northeastern upsets Notre Dame. The Irish sit 12th in Pairwise so they still appear to be safe and Northeastern is 14th. Vermont forced Game 3 with BC. Providence and UM-Lowell were already in good shape. Vermont would be a major spoiler in the field if they can win it.

Chalk in next weekend's NCHC semifinals...all 4 teams in the semis appear to be in the tourney already. Omaha looks like they'll just miss out.

WCHA looks like they could be a one bid league. Tech is hanging on by a thread. They can't afford to lose in the playoffs. Everyone else needs the auto bid to get into the field.

ECAC...Cornell is taking Quinnipiac to the limit. Dartmouth took out Yale but the Bulldogs should still be in the field. Dartmouth or St. Lawrence could be a spoiler from the outside of the top 16.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: 2016 Tourney Talk

Post by Shoalzie »

Minnesota needs a win today against Michigan to get in...don't see a scenario how they can get sneak in as an at-large.

WCHA and Atlantic will get auto-bids outside the Pairwise top 16. Michigan Tech won't likely get in as the regular season WCHA champ.

Northeastern probably needs to beat UMass-Lowell to get in safely.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Michigan takes down Minnesota and RIT and Ferris State's tourney wins likely knocks out Cornell and Michigan Tech.

Seems bizarre that Michigan hasn't been in the tournament since 2012 and hasn't won a game in the tournament since 2011. The CCM line ends the season as the top 3 scorers in the nation. I still don't like the goaltending situation. In a one-and-done scenario...I'd favor teams with a goalie over teams with offense.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I attended the new WCHA "championship" last weekend in Grand Rapids (I won't call it the Final Five for obviously reasons). It was great. Tech and Ferris fans totally represented. The Tech-Ferris game was great and the Mankato-BG first game was good, but the Ferris-Mankato game was even better. Crowd was good for the last two games.

Unfortunately we also saw that ref, Butch Mousseau, basically dying on the ice after tripping and hitting his head on the ice while not wearing a helmet. We didn't see him fall (I bet no one did), but he lost a lot of blood and it was really sad.

Watched the North Dakota-N'Eastern game at work. Game was over by the mid-way point. Also watched the Mich-ND game. Props to Steve Racine. I've been giving him a lot of shit recently, but he looked good today. ND should have won this game, they pissed it away and they know it.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What exactly happened with that official? He fell without his helmet on...was it during a timeout or something? That's very unfortunate to say the least.

Racine is going to have to play his best now because they're only going to run into goalies that will try to shut down that powerful offense. It's going to be a helluva test to get pucks past Cam Johnson on Saturday.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The internet is your friend...he fell during pregame where the refs aren't always wearing their helmets. Just a freak accident.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /82267722/
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:The internet is your friend...he fell during pregame where the refs aren't always wearing their helmets. Just a freak accident.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /82267722/
Yep, totally freak accident. Simply skating around with your hands in your pockets is very common. Unfortunately, in the total freak rare occurrence you fall, you need your hands, it is very dangerous. As I predicted, the very next DAY the league mandated (and I'm sure the NCAA will follow up) that refs must wear helmets at all times when on the ice. Can't whine about it anymore. Someone DIED.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

UM gave North Dakota a good run, but couldn't keep up. The defense and Steve Racine were pretty good, but it was North Dakota's offensive attack that was the difference. That last tip goal by the Sioux was incredible. How? That defied physics. But Racine should have had the fourth NoDak goal today. Should have caught that.

Props to Ferris as well. Whenever St. Cloud made a defensive mistake, Ferris made them pay every time. I'm sick and fucking tired of the new WCHA getting shafted for NCAA tournament bids. They were a one-bid league this year and the new WCHA only beat the #2 team. While shitbag last four teams like Boston U embarrass themselves. The need to tweak the PWR under the new landscape so teams from the new WCHA and Atlantic Hockey aren't getting shafted. Six teams for any of the leagues is way too many. Five at the most.

Attendance seemed decent in Cincy but the attendance at the Xcel center has been beyond horrific. The NCAA's thinking with the tournament is so fucked up. They insist on neutral venues (which I like), but they get venus like the Xcel Center that are way, way too big. But they won't do campus venues.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That fourth goal was the dagger. I didn't count them out at 3-2 but they had next to no sustained pressure throughout the game. Compher had an up and down game...two goals with a bad turnover leading to the Luke Johnson goal in the middle.

I don't want to kick Red out the door but this wouldn't a bad year to go out on. I doubt the new AD will be the hatchet man.

Seemed like there were good crowds in Cincy. I have to believe North Dakota, Notre Dame and Michigan fans can travel.