9 Years of Waiting Finally Over

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

atmdad
Elwood

9 Years of Waiting Finally Over

Post by atmdad »

Professional hockey back in San Diego. Granted not the NHL, but this latest incarnation of the San Diego Gulls is one step below, AHL, Ducks affiliate team. Opener tonight at the San Diego Sports Arena. I be forking stoked, two seats 5 rows from the glass in a corner attack zone.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: 9 Years of Waiting Finally Over

Post by BSmack »

One of my friends was a die hard Norfolk Admirals fan. So for her, fuck you. :p
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Most fun I've ever had at a game was on holidays in Coventry. The Blaze were playing London during a lockout, so London had two Blackhawks on the team keeping in shape. They didn't really do anything other than tower over the rest of the players and look dangerous. The resumes of both teams were brilliant, Canucks who just missed the NHL. More relaxed than any OHL game, pints for sale, go-go girls, chants and a walk behind the glass, you could wander down and watch up close with no-one caring. Everyone had NHL jerseys ten or more years out of date but perfectly preserved.

Enjoy yourself before Betmann gets an envelope in his pocket and San Diego inherits Winnipeg.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Point taken Bri.

Counter Point: Does she want to come out to San Diego to watch her old team? Is she slutty?

Great time was had. Good to see a decent level of live hockey without having to pay outrageous prices for tix.
molly
Elwood

Post by molly »

The Gulls played the Reign last week in Anaheim for free. The game was badass. Hard fought, extra physical and I had a blast. I'm planning going to more games :) I'm pretty stoked these guys are more local.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

atmdad wrote:Point taken Bri.

Counter Point: Does she want to come out to San Diego to watch her old team? Is she slutty?

Great time was had. Good to see a decent level of live hockey without having to pay outrageous prices for tix.
Have you at any time ever fronted a rock band? A physical resemblance to Robert Plant would also go a long way towards clinching the deal.

It's probably more likely she would head up to Washington or Philly for a Ducks game. She's a huge Gibson fan and assuming he's still in Anaheim she would do a roadie for him.

As for me, the AHL will never leave Rochester. That 90 minute drive down the Thruway is mighty convenient for call ups. Thinking of taking my son to a game this year.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

atmdad wrote:Professional hockey back in San Diego. Granted not the NHL, but this latest incarnation of the San Diego Gulls is one step below, AHL, Ducks affiliate team. Opener tonight at the San Diego Sports Arena. I be forking stoked, two seats 5 rows from the glass in a corner attack zone.
Good for you. I attended a Ferris State-Kalamazoo Tech game a few weeks ago, it was amazing. If you ever get a chance to check out high level college hockey, I recommend it. It's great.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

yea, high level college hockey is not gonna happen in San Diego, rugby is trying to get a little traction though, too bad that wasn't a youth sport back in the 80's
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

What league is the Sandy Eggo team in?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

AHL

The AHL relocated 4 teams to be closer to their west coast affiliates.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

BSmack wrote:AHL

It is actually 5 teams. And this was a huge thorn in the side of the AHL for years. The parent clubs threatened to pull their teams out of the league if this California plan wasn't approved. They considered playing within themselves for a season. This part is now settled but oddly enough the teams in CA will play fewer games than the rest of the league.

There are still issues to be resolved though. Most of the eastern conference teams may only have to fly a handful of times while teams in the western conf fly all the time. Given these flights, the western conf teams would like to see a requirement that the home team provides certain equipment for the visitors. Things like glove driers, cold tubs, stationary bikes, cases of bottled water and Gatorade, etc, etc. The eastern conf teams fight this because they just load all this up on their bus or equipment truck and take it with them. That doesn't work when you have to fly. So the Western conf teams have these things now for visitors but don't allow the Eastern conf visiting teams to use them.

Still lots to work out in the league.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote:

It is actually 5 teams. And this was a huge thorn in the side of the AHL for years. The parent clubs threatened to pull their teams out of the league if this California plan wasn't approved. They considered playing within themselves for a season. This part is now settled but oddly enough the teams in CA will play fewer games than the rest of the league.

There are still issues to be resolved though. Most of the eastern conference teams may only have to fly a handful of times while teams in the western conf fly all the time. Given these flights, the western conf teams would like to see a requirement that the home team provides certain equipment for the visitors. Things like glove driers, cold tubs, stationary bikes, cases of bottled water and Gatorade, etc, etc. The eastern conf teams fight this because they just load all this up on their bus or equipment truck and take it with them. That doesn't work when you have to fly. So the Western conf teams have these things now for visitors but don't allow the Eastern conf visiting teams to use them.

Sounds like a god damn mess. How hasn't this league folded already?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Left Seater wrote:

Sounds like a god damn mess. How hasn't this league folded already?

Simple, the NHL needs a place to put their other 25 contracts that they can't keep on the NHL active roster.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote: Simple, the NHL needs a place to put their other 25 contracts that they can't keep on the NHL active roster.
Yeah but my point is why hasn't the league split up into other leagues?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Left Seater wrote: Simple, the NHL needs a place to put their other 25 contracts that they can't keep on the NHL active roster.
Yeah but my point is why hasn't the league split up into other leagues?
Smaller leagues don't work as well, nor do competing leagues. No one wants to see the hockey schedule look like MLB where a team is in town for 4 games in a row.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Left Seater wrote: No one wants to see the hockey schedule look like MLB where a team is in town for 4 games in a row.
Unlike playoffs, when the game actually gets good and teams build an enmity towards each other. We can't have that, it's just crazy.
Last edited by Dr_Phibes on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dr_Phibes wrote:
Left Seater wrote: No one wants to see the hockey schedule look like MLB where a team is in town for 4 games in a row.
Unlike playoffs, when the game actually gets good and teams build an enmity for each other. We can't have that, it's just crazy.
That's why I like how (much of) college hockey does the pair of games in a weekend against an opponent. Gets the blood boiling, the vitriol spewing.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

That's just common sense though. Lefty's just regurgitating and not thinking.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The move doesn't make sense for a minor league to span coast to coast with limited travel budgets but for the NHL clubs...it makes perfect sense. The Kings shouldn't have an affiliate in Manchester, NH. More and more the NHL clubs are finding better fits with their affiliates so you can call players up on short notice. At worst you should be in the same time zone as your farm team.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

But what makes it baffling, is that this was figured out and acted on fifteen years ago amongst some parent clubs.