The AL West

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

The AL West

Post by Go Coogs' »

Anyone seeing this?

The A's are not playing smart baseball right now.
The Rangers are devastated by injuries...AGAIN.
The Mariner's pitching staff aren't exactly world beaters right now.
The Angels are meh.
The Astros are 11-7 because...well...because they can pitch?

It's WAYYYY early, but I'm encouraged by the start to the season considering their hitting has been pretty darn putrid to this point. If they can close out April with 12-13 wins, then they have a shot to hang in there for a good part of the season.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Re: The AL West

Post by R-Jack »

I feel like the Mariners and Angels will come around and both be in the postseason.

A's....not this mix. Sorry

Astros will fall back, but I predicted they would end the season better than the Rangers. So far so good on that. They remind me of the Rays 10 years ago. Build from the farm till they get good.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

I agree completely. Don't think the Astros have seen Mariners, A's, or Angels best baseball with these last three series going in their favor. I think all these clubs will come around and end up being a hair better than my beloved 'Stros. I'm hoping for .500 ball from them.

April and July were their worst months last season (9-19 & 8-17), so scratching off April this season in the win column helps tremendously.

I just don't know what the A's problem is. It seems their baseball IQ in this weekend's series against Houston was the equivalent of mtool's posting skills. I didn't understand the 5th high fastball in a row to Gattis in the 9th yesterday when Clippard's change seemed to be working well. I didn't understand the hit and run play to Lawrie where he tried to get lead speedster Marisnick instead of the sure out at first. It was just bad baseball. Not typical of Oakland. I think they'll play better, but in reality it'll be the Angels or Mariners division for the taking.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

They have surprised me the last two nights, absolutely dick stomping the Padres the last two nights. it will be interesting to see them try to keep it rolling though, they have piled up alot of K's at the plate which I think will catch up to them.

Too bad to see Lawrie (sp?) tear his thumb up on the awkward dive into the plate.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

That's what you get with Jed. He's always going to find a way to get injured. I'm shocked he was able to get in over 100 games with the A's
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

R-Jack wrote:That's what you get with Jed. He's always going to find a way to get injured. I'm shocked he was able to get in over 100 games with the A's
Yep. He's been injury prone his entire career. This was some fluky shit, too. Now it's time for MarGo and Villar to step up and showcase their talent. I highly doubt they'll sustain what Jed brought offensively, but it is a considerable upgrade on defense. Maybe some better DRS will make up for what they lose at the plate. The big bats (Gattis, Carter, Springer) will need to step their game up in the meantime.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

10 in a row. I'm speechless.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

The A's record in one run game is almost unprecedented.....not in the good way
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

That'll correct itself. As far as peripherals go, the A's are playing the best baseball in the AL West. They've just been super unlucky so far. They are due for some improvement in the Win column. As for the 'Stros, those bats have gone ice cold. Carter is off to his usual slow start and Springer being out along with Lowrie have really hurt the middle of the lineup. Marisnick is finally coming back down to earth. I was hoping Carter would improve by now and Castro's super low BABIP would start to come around, but it hasn't.

All in all, it explains losing 4 out of their last five.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

After losing the first two games of the Tigers series and getting a split out of it today in dramatic fashion, this seems like a team of destiny. Season is 28% in the books now, so its time to start considering the Astros as players in the AL.

That bullpen has to be due for some regression at some point, but the middle of the lineup is due for ascension. Hopefully they continue their winning ways and run away with the division.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I saw where Detroit was up 7-3 today and figured the Royals were going to give a game back in the standings....

Thanks, Astros.