Nebraska hires Fred Hoiberg as HC

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Nebraska hires Fred Hoiberg as HC

Post by Cornhusker »

Hoiberg to Lead Nebraska Men’s Basketball Program

A proven winner as both a coach and player at the collegiate and professional levels, Fred Hoiberg has been named the Head Men’s Basketball Coach at the University of Nebraska. Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos will officially introduce Hoiberg as Huskers’ new head coach at a Tuesday afternoon press conference in Lincoln.

Hoiberg, who was born in Lincoln, is the 28th coach in the history of Nebraska men’s basketball. He joins a fraternity of Husker head coaches that includes his grandfather, Jerry Bush, who guided the Husker program for nine seasons from 1955 to 1963.

“First, I want to thank Bill Moos, Chancellor Green and President Bounds for the opportunity to lead the Nebraska men’s basketball program,” Hoiberg said. “I can’t express how excited I am to be back on the sidelines and to be coaching at a university that means a lot to my family and me.

“Lincoln is a special place for our family. I was born in Lincoln, my grandfather Jerry Bush was the head coach at Nebraska, my other grandfather was a long-time professor there, and my parents are proud graduates of the University of Nebraska. Nebraska has always felt like a second home.

“I had the opportunity to coach at Pinnacle Bank Arena with the Bulls, and I have seen first-hand that the facilities are as nice as any in the country. When you couple that with a loyal and passionate fan base, you can see there is great potential for the future of Nebraska basketball.”

Moos said the diverse and accomplished resume Hoiberg brings to Nebraska provides the Huskers a great opportunity to reach new heights in the Big Ten Conference.

“We are excited to welcome Fred, his wife Carol, and their family to Nebraska. He will be an outstanding representative of the University, and a great leader for our men’s basketball program,” Moos said.

“When you look at him, you see an individual who has had success as a player and a coach,” Moos said. “Fred’s background will sell itself on the recruiting trail, and help us bring in the type of student-athletes needed to compete at the highest level. His style of play not only will be appealing to prospective recruits, but will also provide our great fans an entertaining brand of basketball.”

Hoiberg has five years of experience as a college head coach, guiding his alma mater, Iowa State, to four NCAA Tournaments, including a Sweet 16 appearance, in five seasons from 2011 to 2015. The Cyclones also won two Big 12 Tournament titles. He served as the head coach of the Chicago Bulls for parts of four seasons from 2015 to 2018. He also worked in the front office of the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves from 2006 to 2010.

“Bill Moos has made an exceptional choice to lead Husker basketball into the future,” University Nebraska Chancellor Ronnie Green said. “I look forward to welcoming Coach Hoiberg and his family to Nebraska and am excited to see where he takes the program.”

Before his success as a head coach, Hoiberg made his name as a player at the collegiate and NBA levels. Hoiberg was a four-year starter for the Cyclones and was a third-team All-American as a senior. He was a two-time All-Big Eight pick and a two-time Academic All-America selection. He is a member of the ISU Hall of Fame and had his jersey retired following his playing career.

A second-round draft pick in 1995, Hoiberg played 10 seasons in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Timberwolves. Hoiberg led the NBA in 3-point percentage in his final year in the league.

The University of Nebraska and Hoiberg have agreed to a 7-year, $25 million deal.
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Re: Nebraska hires Fred Hoiberg as HC

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

Halfway through his contract. How's it going so far? :doh:
Shut up, Randy!
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Donnie Baker's Ghost wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:41 pm Halfway through his contract. How's it going so far? :doh:
Looks like they are getting things in order.
Beat #1 Purdue by 16 last night. Also have scalps from Indiana, Kansas State, and Michigan State.
So the program has a good vibe.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Nebraska ran into a buzzsaw in College Park today. Both teams are 5-5 in conference now and they have a brutal month ahead.

Not sure the Terps have enough offense to make a run...
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

StrawMan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:58 am Nebraska ran into a buzzsaw in College Park today. Both teams are 5-5 in conference now and they have a brutal month ahead.

Not sure the Terps have enough offense to make a run...
Did you go to the game? Hard to believe with all the talent between DC and NYC that MD can't be anything better than mediocre.

Oh well, at least MD is better than Gtown. MD could beat GW too, but at least GW would give them a better game.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:54 am Did you go to the game? Hard to believe with all the talent between DC and NYC that MD can't be anything better than mediocre.

Oh well, at least MD is better than Gtown. MD could beat GW too, but at least GW would give them a better game.
Agree 100% with your take on MD. Scouting and signing talent have been weak spots for years now. Very, very frustrating.

I didn't make it to the game in person and won't for the foreseeable future. Will definitely make it to a few lacrosse games this year, though. The venue is much more accessible for me. For what it's worth, I keep an eye on Gtown hoops, too. Pops went there. You're a Georgetown alum?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

StrawMan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:40 pm Agree 100% with your take on MD. Scouting and signing talent have been weak spots for years now. Very, very frustrating.

I didn't make it to the game in person and won't for the foreseeable future. Will definitely make it to a few lacrosse games this year, though. The venue is much more accessible for me. For what it's worth, I keep an eye on Gtown hoops, too. Pops went there. You're a Georgetown alum?
No, not a Gtown alum. Gtown is god awful. I revel in their misery but am flabbergasted that the place is so toxic that even a great coach like Ed Cooley is struggling there. I've been going to GW games for almost 15 years now and they are pretty terrible, too. Have lost eight straight games and no end in sight.

I've been to a few MD lacrosse games. Would like to check out Navy some time.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.