Dracula retiring after next season

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dracula retiring after next season

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

AKA Bo Ryan.

I was no fan of Bo Ryan but his coaching and player development skills were some of the best in the business. Wisky better find another coach like him because it's not likely they'll turn into a recruiting power anytime soon.

I wonder if they could lure Tony Bennett away from UVA. That would be an excellent hire, and they could keep their tradition of sludge ball going. He is the best young coach in the game, imo.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Dracula retiring after next season

Post by Goober McTuber »

Rumors I've heard:

Barry has his eye on Pitino the Younger.
Tony Bennett is very happy at Virginia but the Wisky job might be the one to pull him away.
Shaka Smart is a Wisconsin kid, who might have been interested, but Texas has really deep pockets.

Bo wants the job to go to his assistant, Greg Gard. That will hopefully not happen.

The bandwagon fans who populate local talk radio think that the past two years have made us into a national power and we should be able to hire any coach in America. :lol:

Bennett would be the best and logical choice, but after the Gary Andersen fiasco, I expect Alvarez to do something really splashy and stupid.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Great news for the sport of basketball. Ryan is a disgrace.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

You are a weapons grade moron. Even Magoo gives Ryan his due.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:You are a weapons grade moron. Even Magoo gives Ryan his due.
You can be a good coach and still drag basketball back into the unwatchable Sirfindafold age. Fuck off, already.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:You are a weapons grade moron. Even Magoo gives Ryan his due.
You can be a good coach and still drag basketball back into the unwatchable Sirfindafold age. Fuck off, already.
You do realize that Wisky averaged more points per game than GW did lst year? Of course you don't. You're a fucking moron.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:You do realize that Wisky averaged more points per game than GW did lst year? Of course you don't. You're a fucking moron.
Apples and oranges. Try again, shitstain.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

It's unwatchable for you because Wisky is winning. Go fuck yourself, tardlet.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:It's unwatchable for you because Wisky is winning. Go fuck yourself, tardlet.
How will Wisky win now that the master of flopping is retiring?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:It's unwatchable for you because Wisky is winning. Go fuck yourself, tardlet.
How will Wisky win now that the master of flopping is retiring?
The flopping thing is an urban legend.

BTW, which college basketball team are you pimping this year?

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Same ones I always pimp: My alma mater and my local team I have season tickets for.

How does my ass taste?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Same ones I always pimp: My alma mater and my local team I have season tickets for.

How does my ass taste?
Well, I'm not going to lick my shoe to find out.

Both of your teams suck, BTW.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Great news for the sport of basketball. Ryan is a disgrace.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. He did things the right way and wasn't a sleazeball (sup Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams?).

This most recent Badger team was actually enjoyable to watch but over the course of Bo's career, they were an outlier. Still, there's no denying his style was effective, no matter how ugly it was at times. Lots of schools in both football and basketball employ certain schemes to negate talent advantages. Nothing too groundbreaking there. What's good news for college basketball was the shortening of the shot clock which was long overdue.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

This should make Screwball pretty happy:
University of Wisconsin men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan announced in June that he would retire after the 2015-16 season.

Now, he doesn’t sound so sure about that plan.

Ryan left the door open to coaching beyond the upcoming season during an interview with the Appleton Post-Crescent on Wednesday night in Kaukauna, where Ryan was a guest speaker at a charity event.

“Well, I needed to get a statement out there knowing I wasn’t able to tell recruits I could guarantee them four years and I wanted to be fair to our staff and (UW athletic director Barry Alvarez) and the athletic department,” Ryan said.

“Everybody kind of thinks they know when they’re ready to retire, or step aside. I’m not totally sure. Barry said I could change my mind at any time. I haven’t submitted any papers yet. I haven’t submitted anything. …

“I just wanted to get it out there that I’m not going to be able to do this forever. But who can say one year? Who can say that? I simply cut to the chase by saying I’ll do another year and we’ll see what happens in the next couple of months.”

Rumors that Ryan was considering changing his mind about retirement have been floating around for weeks. At the Big Ten Media Days for football last month in Chicago, Alvarez said he had even caught wind of reports Ryan was waffling but said he hadn’t spoken with Ryan about it.

“It’s come to me that he has said that,” Alvarez said. “I hope so.”

Later, Alvarez said: “He can coach as long as he wants to coach. The longer, the better. When he decides to leave, we’ll get another coach in there and we’ll get the best (one) we can.”

Ryan made it clear in his announcement in June that he would like his successor to be associate head coach Greg Gard, but Alvarez told the State Journal he wanted to conduct a national search to find Ryan’s replace-ment.

Alvarez called Gard, who has no head coaching experience, an “excellent coach” but said he had reasons for expanding the search.

“I think I owe it to the university and the Athletic Department and the fans and everyone else to see who’s out there and hire the best person available, whoever that might be,” Alvarez said.

“And it might be Greg, I don’t know. But I feel an obligation that I have to do that. Our program is far enough along that I have to take a good look and find the right person.”

Alvarez might not even have to conduct a search after next season, based on Ryan’s comments to the Post Crescent.

“I’m like a lot of other people who when they get to this stage of career, who knows when the right time is,” said Ryan, who has led the Badgers to back-to-back Final Four appearances and has a 357-125 record in 14 seasons at UW.

“I was just trying to be up front and out in the open,” he said. “But I wouldn’t be the first guy in the country that ever thought about retirement and then changed their mind. I’m not doing anything revolutionary here.”