Gas shortage!

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Gas shortage!

Post by smackaholic »

Gas lines and runaway inflation!!!

It’s 1979 all over again, except music and my hair ain’t what they used to be. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

The gas lines were '74.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote:The gas lines were '74.
First gas lines were either 73 or 74, but don’t worry, both years were Republican Presidents

Second was 79, coulda been 80.

Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

smackaholic wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 pm
Diego in Seattle wrote:The gas lines were '74.
First gas lines were either 73 or 74, but don’t worry, both years were Republican Presidents

Second was 79, coulda been 80.

I don't remember a gas shortage in '79 or '80, but that's not to say that there wasn't one. But if there was a gas shortage it certainly didn't cause any lineups that came anywhere close to what happened in '74.
9/27/22
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

No gas shortage if you're driving an EV.

Plus I have a whole pantry full of beans.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Papa Willie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 pm Wouldn't surprise me if this was done by the Democrats (by design) to push their agenda...
Who has been heavily in cahoots with the oil industry? GOP.
Who also is heavily invested in the oil industry? Putin.
Who has been buddy-buddy with Putin? GOP leader Trump.

"Accuse others of that which you are guilty of."
9/27/22
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

But but but Trump.

:meds:

Sorry Joe Senile owns this one.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
Papa Willie wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 pm Wouldn't surprise me if this was done by the Democrats (by design) to push their agenda...
Who has been heavily in cahoots with the oil industry? GOP.
Who also is heavily invested in the oil industry? Putin.
Who has been buddy-buddy with Putin? GOP leader Trump.

"Accuse others of that which you are guilty of."
Perhaps you didn’t get the memo, the Orange man-child is no longer in control.

There definitely was a fuel shortage summer of 79/80. We had odd/even fuel days. I got pretty good at shuffling license plates to gas up whichever of the family cars needed it on a particular day.

Miguel, while you do have an EV. If you think we are even remotely close to powering it off sunshine, you’re on drugs. And I ain’t talkin’ all that fancy vino you buy.

We are and will continue to be largely powered by Dino juice.

There was some dude on the radio the other day talking about our grand plans to go fully renewable and he said that there simply aren’t the amounts of rare minerals needed to get there. Not even close. And unlike carbon, about 80% of those minerals which there aren’t enough of, are under control of the chinks.

Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Left Seater wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:57 am But but but Trump.

That's all you got?

Just point at the guy who has occupied the WH for all of 4 months & say "it's his fault!" (Did you stomp your feet when you pounded that out?)

Try establishing a coherent argument while using neither TDS nor "it happened on Biden's term!"
9/27/22
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I have been saying this for years. The world needs to massively increase its mining which is going to rely on carbon based technology. Some think we can get these minerals from the oceans, but there are issues there as well.

But just look at how long it takes to get a wind farm or solar farm of any size from idea to production. Hell, the permitting process can take decades. Animal activists can tie the things up in court. Liberals like Ted Kennedy can go not in my back yard.

We are nowhere close to going full electric and are unlikely to do it in my lifetime.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm

That's all you got?

Just point at the guy who has occupied the WH for all of 4 months & say "it's his fault!" (Did you stomp your feet when you pounded that out?)

Try establishing a coherent argument while using neither TDS nor "it happened on Biden's term!"
So you want to move the goal posts eh? Shocker. It was Trumps fault as soon as he was in office but now it isn’t Biden’s fault.

But keep pretending like Trump is the only one who has ever spoken to the Russians. How quick you forget about the Clintons. Hell even Bill Maher has come clean and said there was nothing to the reports Russia did anything to help Trump.

So yes, Senile Joe is occupying the chair and this is on him.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Left Seater wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:21 pm

That's all you got?

So you want to move the goal posts eh? Shocker. It was Trumps fault as soon as he was in office but now it isn’t Biden’s fault.

But keep pretending like Trump is the only one who has ever spoken to the Russians. How quick you forget about the Clintons. Hell even Bill Maher has come clean and said there was nothing to the reports Russia did anything to help Trump.

Congress passed severe sanctions against Russia. Trump refused to implement them. Go ahead & tell me when Clinton (hell, either one) did the same.

Trump sucked off Putin. No other POTUS, GQP or Dem, has done that.
9/27/22
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Democrats bitched about sanctions when Trump put them in place and said they did more harm than good. But yet you now want to argue the opposite? Typical hypocrisy.

As for the Clintons, see the Clinton Foundation. They took Russian money in a pay for play setting. This is why once she was out of office donations fell so drastically.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Left Seater wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm I have been saying this for years. The world needs to massively increase its mining which is going to rely on carbon based technology. Some think we can get these minerals from the oceans, but there are issues there as well.

But just look at how long it takes to get a wind farm or solar farm of any size from idea to production. Hell, the permitting process can take decades. Animal activists can tie the things up in court. Liberals like Ted Kennedy can go not in my back yard.

We are nowhere close to going full electric and are unlikely to do it in my lifetime.
https://www.mining-technology.com/featu ... al-safety/
Dateline 2012:
...China’s commodities boom has meant mining companies are under pressure to produce more fuel to meet the growing needs of its hungry manufacturing industry. While the country’s rich resources boast opportunities for further economic growth, its mines, in particular its coal mines, suffer from poor safety standards which have resulted in numerous fatalities.

... Just one month ago, in August, a gas explosion at Xiaojiawan coal mine in Sichuan province killed forty-five people, injured fifty-four and left one person missing. Official Chinese news sources were quick to report that poor management was to blame, and an initial investigation has uncovered a malfunctioning ventilation system, missing gas sensors and that the mine had been exceeding its production capacity, violating safety standards
What you're asking is complicated, Lefty.

So ... start fresh.
- what is the overriding goal of the planet?
- what is the most profitable way to get there?
- what is in the way of getting there?

Because China is murdering its own citizens, just like the New World, the Middle East, and the colonial powers of Africa, for A Reason.

We are all drones in the ant nest. Our comforts and discomforts are secondary byproducts of The Big Picture. As plebe Americans, we got the big end of the stick, but we don't hold the stick. What do the hive queens really want?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm That's all you got?

Congress passed severe sanctions against Russia. Trump refused to implement them. Go ahead & tell me when Clinton (hell, either one) did the same.

Trump sucked off Putin. No other POTUS, GQP or Dem, has done that.
Yeah, making the US a net exporter of energy played right into Putin’s hands.

You really are a weapons grade tard.

Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You and BrokenPsyche tried to overthrow the government so get fucked if you think anyone cares what you say now.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Left Seater wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm I have been saying this for years. The world needs to massively increase its mining which is going to rely on carbon based technology. Some think we can get these minerals from the oceans, but there are issues there as well.

Blame it on the dead guy. What’s next? Hugo Chavez stole the election? Oh wait.

Now fuck off trtr.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That's all you got?

Please explain how the IT security failure by a privately owned and managed company is somehow "owned" by Joe Biden.

Like I said in another thread, you're really not too good with facts. Blubbering nonsensical bullshite, yes. But facts not so much.,
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Sorry. Just like a President gets credit for an economy even when his party doesn't control Congress, they also get the blame when crap goes wrong when they occupy the chair.

Sorry you had to find this out from me. Maybe get a 5th grader or so to help you function in the world today.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Computer control of many things that take split second decision making is a wonderful thing.

The decision to pump 20 million gallons of gas from Houston to Charlotte is not that kind of decision.

Why are these things computer controlled? And even if a computer is involved, why is it tied to the web?

It’s because we live in a world where everyone thinks making everything controllable or from your fukking phone is a good idea.

Fuel movement, power grid management and everything else was done before the PC. Much of it should still be under manual control.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm Sorry. Just like a President gets credit for an economy even when his party doesn't control Congress, they also get the blame when crap goes wrong when they occupy the chair.

Sorry you had to find this out from me. Maybe get a 5th grader or so to help you function in the world today.
Excellent non-answer.
Congratulations, you're living up to Braindead.Idiot.Hypoocrite extremely well today.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:08 pm

Miguel, while you do have an EV. If you think we are even remotely close to powering it off sunshine, you’re on drugs. And I ain’t talkin’ all that fancy vino you buy.

We are and will continue to be largely powered by Dino juice.
For some reason I thought we were talking about gasoline here. I can't think of any generation that's powered by gasoline, can you?

And BTW, I could easily run my home and BEV on solar only. I would prolly have to shut my pool pump down a little more and not condition my whole house to 71 in the winter and 76 in the summer, but it would be doable. This time of year, with no heating or cooling require4d and even with the pool pump running 12 hours per day, I'm producing a pretty large surplus.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You are a work from home person who lives in the best climate is the country, save Hawaii, I suppose.

You can do it. BFD.

Sadly, most live in a place where for extended periods of the year we use large amounts of energy to heat/cool. Most of us also have to drive to work daily.

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Sounds like a sweat shop at casa Mikey.

62 in the dead of winter at the Lefty Casa in Beaver Creek Colorado.

68 in the dead of summer at the Lefty Casa in San Antonio.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Fat planet killing trtr.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Here in the U&R, we spend roughly half the year burning heating oil to get it anywhere from about 62 (my preference) to to somewhere between 65 and ohhhh, about 119, when the OL is driving the thermostat.

She has the annoying habit of going over to the tstat and whacking the hotter button 15-20 times if she’s cold.

I’ve tried explaining tstat operational theory to her, that it will get warmer just as fast if you don’t turn it up to 11, but all that sciency stuff doesn’t much interest her.

As for using energy to cool, it is extremely rare. I have a very well insulated house with a whole house fan and great big oak trees on my south side. There are maybe a dozen nights a year when cooling the bedroom a bit would be nice, but if we don’t get a bunch in a row, I rarely go to the effort of dragging the window unit out.

I have entertained the thought of installing a mini split system. Cockblock just announced he’s going to HVAC school in the fall. Maybe I’ll make him put it in.

Actually, my cheap ass would probably just tell him to bring home a serviceable used unit that he pulls out to put in a mini split. Because unlike you I actually care about the environment and would hate to see that stuff in a landfill.

Or was it cause I’m a cheap fukk?

Yeah, that might play into it.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm Sounds like a sweat shop at casa Mikey.

62 in the dead of winter at the Lefty Casa in Beaver Creek Colorado.

68 in the dead of summer at the Lefty Casa in San Antonio.
I prefer it a little cooler, but I'm not the boss. Actually since we put in the zoned HVAC system I keep my office at 67 in the winter while the wife has the rest of the house at 71. 74 to 76 in the summer is fine if you're not too modest to walk around in shorts. And the heat here is a dry heat, for the most part.

I have an app on my phone where I can control all the zone settings from anywhere in the world as long as I have a cell or wi-fi connection. We always set the entire house down to 65 at night in the winter.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:11 pm You are a work from home person who lives in the best climate is the country, save Hawaii, I suppose.

You can do it. BFD.

Sadly, most live in a place where for extended periods of the year we use large amounts of energy to heat/cool. Most of us also have to drive to work daily.
We may have nice weather but otherwise, as you well know, California is a complete shitehole. I have to put up with the radical, socialist, communist, Antifa BLM, anti-police, pro-wanton destruction of our cities state government. People are finally starting to leave in larger numbers than they arrive. You don't know the sacrifices I have to make to live a carbon-free renewable existence. Not for the faint of heart, let me tell you. But that's the choice I've made.

I can only dream of the pragmatic conservatism practiced by all those Republicans in the Midwest, Northeast and Deep South, and secretly worship Donald Trump behind closed doors.

BTW...I've been coming into the office twice a week for the past month or so since my second Moderna kicked in. Believe it or not the vaccine hasn't kilt me. Yet.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu May 13, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

To each their own, for sure.

That said I wish I had a dehumidifier as part of the a/c system in SA. It doesn't make much sense to add one now, but if we ever had to do a remodel I would add it.

And on a funny/sad note, we had someone cold drop by and try to sell us on solar at our SA house. We are adding solar panels at the Colorado house as it makes sense. We have a roof exposure that faces south southwest. Apparently someone in the company saw we also have a SA home and sent a person over to give us a quote and plan. I chuckled at the guy and said sure map it out for us. He walked around took photos and had a tape measure out. When he was ready he knocked on the door and the first thing out of his mouth was, "well we will need to cut down 14 of the 17 trees on your lot." I laughed out loud and said, that would remove all the shade and drive my electricity bill thru the roof. He didn't really have a response.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You won't get any argument from the about the business practices of a lot of solar installers. It's a pretty cut-throat business with a lot of shady operators. I could give you dozens of stories from my past as an inspector for the California Solar Initiative (state rebate program) back in the 2000 aughts. The company now owned by the guy who makes a lot of EVs was one of the worst.

When we decided we wanted to install some PV back in 2012 we had already covered the WxSW facing side of our roof about 80% with a solar pool heater, so that space wasn't available. We needed some shade on our patio so I went looking for a contractor who could build a solar shade structure. It took me almost a year to find somebody I felt I could trust and had the requisite experience and skills to do the job. They engineered, permitted and built the entire supporting structure and PV system and didn't charge us a cent, except for the engineering costs, until we were completely satisfied with the system. It's been running now for nine years without even a panel dropping out. 90% of the residential solar installers would have no idea how to do this. They just want to go up on your roof, throw the panels up, make the connection, show up for the electrical inspection, and go.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Gas shortage!

Post by smackaholic »

Kierland wrote:Fat planet killing trtr.
If you had any smack game, you’d tie his need to refrigerate his house with obesity.

But, you don’t, so I guess I’ll have to do it for you.

68 inside, in Houston in July?

Are you fukking kidding me?

I can’t imagine how many BTUs that is.

Jesus, pull back from the feed table for a while.

And I won’t even bother with going into the amount of energy required to lift you to fifty some odd thousand fukking feet, multiple times a week.

And same me your triathlon challenge replies. I’m not reading them.

There, was that so fukking hard, you tedious dwarf?

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
smackaholic wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:11 pm You are a work from home person who lives in the best climate is the country, save Hawaii, I suppose.

You can do it. BFD.

We may have nice weather but otherwise, as you well know, California is a complete shitehole. I have to put up with the radical, socialist, communist, Antifa BLM, anti-police, pro-wanton destruction of our cities state government. People are finally starting to leave in larger numbers than they arrive. You don't know the sacrifices I have to make to live a carbon-free renewable existence. Not for the faint of heart, let me tell you. But that's the choice I've made.

I can only dream of the pragmatic conservatism practiced by all those Republicans in the Midwest, Northeast and Deep South, and secretly worship Donald Trump behind closed doors.

BTW...I've been coming into the office twice a week for the past month or so since my second Moderna kicked in. Believe it or not the vaccine hasn't kilt me. Yet.
I’m between Moderna shots.

My second one, you know, the ones that’s supposed to open a can of whip ass on you is scheduled for 1 June. Of course I have a PITA body scan X-ray move at the wuustuh county lockup that will last a few days and involve a rare bit of Manuel labor.

Should I push back the shot a few days, like a liberal pansy would or just tough it out?

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

My massive left deltoid hurt a little more after the second shot than the first. Other than that I was fine until bedtime. Woke up in the middle of the night to pee and thought I was having some chills, but it was hard to tell because I was 3/4 asleep. Went back to sleep and was fine in the morning. Except the arm pain lasted a few days and even worked its way over to my back. But not enough to cause me any distress.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

smackaholic wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:16 pm
Kierland wrote:Fat planet killing trtr.
If you had any smack game, you’d tie his need to refrigerate his house with obesity.

But, you don’t, so I guess I’ll have to do it for you.

68 inside, in Houston in July?

Are you fukking kidding me?

I can’t imagine how many BTUs that is.

Jesus, pull back from the feed table for a while.

And I won’t even bother with going into the amount of energy required to lift you to fifty some odd thousand fukking feet, multiple times a week.

And same me your triathlon challenge replies. I’m not reading them.

There, was that so fukking hard, you tedious dwarf?

If you had any reading comp you would know I haven't lived in Houston for over a decade.

If you had any brains, you would know comfort isn't tied to weight, my 125 lb wife also enjoys the 68 degree conditioned air.

I am glad you are worried about the planet, but my electric bill is below $160 a month in the summer.

And I am sure you want to ignore the triathlon challenges, it would probably kill you.

:wink:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Fuck it then. I’ll get the shot and use the arm pain, even if I have to fake it to get Steve to do the heavy lifting.

He’s a pudgy Vietnamese dude, but I think he’s got some kinda Kung fu power or something.

And what the fukk was mom and dad thinking naming him Steve?

That’s cultural appropriation if ever there was any?

He’s the baby, born here. All his older brothers and sisters are named Tran or some shit and were born in Nam.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm My massive left deltoid...
You spelled gluteus wrong.

:grin:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Left Seater wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:35 pm If you had any reading comp you would know I haven't lived in Houston for over a decade.

My reading comp is fair to midlin', my memory, especially regarding trivialities such as where LS lives, is pretty much non-existent. How about we go with you live somewhere in Teeehas where 68 degrees is roughly 30+ degrees cooler than outside.

If you had any brains, you would know comfort isn't tied to weight, my 125 lb wife also enjoys the 68 degree conditioned air.

I checked my smack for dummies book. Tying weight to comfortable teperature is allowed. Your OL is a buck twenty-five? With an ass like that? Talk about out-kicking the coverage? Oy vay!!!

I am glad you are worried about the planet, but my electric bill is below $160 a month in the summer.

That's because you live in a state not run by incompetent buffoons. I envy you.

And I am sure you want to ignore the triathlon challenges, it would probably kill you.

Didn't I fukking tell you I wasn't reading triathalon challenges. Next time you're in the U&R, I'd invite you on a mountain bike ride, but I am afraid you'd kill any of my bikes. Actually, you'd do OK on my "fat bike" but I think you might be a tad too tall to fit it.

:wink:
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I do have to say RI has some solid bike paths and trails. Haven't riden in CT, but that East Bay Bike Path and the Blackstone River Bikeway in RI are as good as any in the country.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

It’s not normal to betray your country you two fat fucks so don’t come in here trying to act all normal.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Left Seater wrote:I do have to say RI has some solid bike paths and trails. Haven't riden in CT, but that East Bay Bike Path and the Blackstone River Bikeway in RI are as good as any in the country.
New England is absolutely over-run with great mountain biking. Arcadia in RI is great.

What you are referring to sounds more rail to trailish. Not really my thing, but I do it with the OL. I been trying to get her to do some actual fun single track stuff, but she ain’t interested.