What was your favorite car?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: What was your favorite car?

Post by Left Seater »

Mikey wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:14 pm I have heated seats in my Kona EV. I don't need to heat my car too often here in LoCal but, when I do, I only use the seat heater. I've found that it's actually more effective than blowing hot air around in the interior, and a lot more efficient in a battery powered vehicle.

Heating the air drains the battery in an EV more quickly than just heating the seats. In an ICE vehicle the heater doesn't affect the mileage because it's basically using waste heat that would otherwise go out the exhaust pipe or the radiator.
Apparently. There were a good number of Tesla’s around Denver that ran out of juice this Feb in the big snow storm. Running the heater and temps in the single digits are range killers.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm I think this actually was my favorite car. Mine was a '69 but looked just like this.

Black Marquis, four door, 429 cu 7.0L V8.
I bought it in 1987 when it had 45K miles on it and was almost like new. It was like driving around in your living room. I added some lower profile white-walls and it actually looked pretty cool. I got into the habit of jumping out and shouting "Book 'em Dano!!"

I got into the habit of jumping out and shouting "Book 'em Danno!!"
So, you haven't been a greenie weenie, your entire life? Or did you inherit it from your grandpa? I'll bet the Danomobile had to be good for about 7 mpg.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
ML@Coyote
Elwood

Post by ML@Coyote »

"I always hated that car."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Woah :shock:
Fat!!!
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

smackaholic wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:09 am
So, you haven't been a greenie weenie, your entire life? Or did you inherit it from your grandpa? I'll bet the Danomobile had to be good for about 7 mpg.
Naw he had a Ford F-250 or similar up until a few years ago. I even laid eyes on it. I am pretty sure he talked about it here as well. Might have been around the fires and how he had it loaded and ready to go.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 pm
smackaholic wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:09 am
Naw he had a Ford F-250 or similar up until a few years ago. I even laid eyes on it. I am pretty sure he talked about it here as well. Might have been around the fires and how he had it loaded and ready to go.
Your memory serves you well. I bought my Super Duty when it was new in 1999. Finally donated it a couple of years ago. F250 Crew Cab, V10 4x4. It was great for hauling our Troop's trailer around and camping when my boy was in the Scouts. But it sort of lost a lot of its utility as a commuter when gas prices went from $0.80 to $4.00. I didn't use it much for the last 10 years except for excursions to pick up hardware and building supplies. I finally realized that for a lot less than the cost of smogging, registering and insuring it I could rent a truck from Home Depot as many times as I could possibly use it.

We did have it loaded up for evacuation a couple of times but have come to the conclusion that the most valuable stuff we have can fit into our two remaining vehicles, or it's too big to take with us anyway.

My current "greenie weenie" car (Hyundai Kona EV) is actually more fun to drive than anything I've owned before. A small crossover, it's got a 200 HP electric motor that puts out something like 280 lb-ft of torque, with all of it available from 0 RPM. The little thing basically hauls butt. Not like a Model S, I'm sure, but the only thing that keeps it back are the tires that will break loose if you punch it in "Sport" mode. Plus, I don't buy any gas and the 'lectricity it uses is almost free. Maintenance is rotate the tires every 5K miles and change the cabin air filter at 10K. Nothing else, except for a couple of recalls. I have to take it in later this year for a free battery replacement so it won't spontaneously combust while sitting in my driveway.

I knew the Kona was a first generation BEV when I leased it. That's one reason why I opted for the three year lease. I was 95% sure that in three years there would be lots more electric options available. If I really liked it I could buy it out but I could also walk away with no worries. The lease is up in about 13 months.

Right now I'm leaning towards a new Hyundai Ioniq 5, which should be available in the USA later this year. Definitely a newer generation EV, built from the ground up on chassis designed for EVs (the Kona EV is built on same chassis as the conventional Kona). A lot of cool innovations in this one, including V2L (vehicle to load - you can run 120V stuff off the battery) and possibly V2H (vehicle to house - you can run your house off of it and charge directly from PV). And the dual motor version ups the total HP to over 300.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/503669/hy ... rst-drive/
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

ML@Coyote wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:13 pm Image
But how did it do with grass clippings?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ML@Coyote
Elwood

Post by ML@Coyote »

Okay with the grasses, but flailing hedge rows was really my specialty.
Get fucked
Just do it

Post by Get fucked »

"Subscribe to read full story"

get fucked

Which proves you didn't even look at the link. Attention craving whore.

get fucked
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Georgia Crackers are better alive than dead. But there are caveats.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I am sure the paywall blocked story discusses the environmental impact of harvesting the materials for batteries. Lithium, cobalt and others. A study by an Australian University says lithium shortages may begin in 2022. Cobalt in the second half of this decade.

And unless the increase in mining is done by electric vehicles and tools (which would make the demand on these minerals even worse) the carbon footprint of each electric vehicle will increase.

As I have said for years, we need huge investment in battery technology so we can easily store green energy. Today’s battery make up and disposal will keep us from most of these green energy proposals.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Yeah but you also said Dump was worth your vote so your opinion is shit you fat fucking t r a i t o r.