Transcendent Sports Figures

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Re: Transcendent Sports Figures

Post by Softball Bat »

The career slam is obviously much less impressive than winning the grand slam, but it doesn't mean it isn't a noteworthy accomplishment.

What it shows is that a guy can get it done at the highest level on all surfaces.

Borg never got over the hump (winning a major) on hard courts.
Nor did Sampras on clay.
Etc.

Agassi got over the hump on all surfaces.
It is to his credit.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:35 am The career slam is obviously much less impressive than winning the grand slam, but it doesn't mean it isn't a noteworthy accomplishment.

What it shows is that a guy can get it done at the highest level on all surfaces.

Borg never got over the hump (winning a major) on hard courts.
Nor did Sampras on clay.
Etc.

Agassi got over the hump on all surfaces.
It is to his credit.
I agree with that.
It is to his credit. Is he transformative? Not to me.
I'd easily pick Roger.
In Borg's day, believe it or not, the US open and the Australian open were not hard court surfaces.
The US open switched to hard court in 1978.
And the Australian in 1988.
Obviously, Borg retired in 81' at the ridiculous young age of 26.
Fucking amazing.
11 grand slams, and he retires at 26.
But I digress....
On the women's side, serena is easily one of the best ever, BUT, when really taking a closer more educated look?
It's steffi graf.
Not only did graf face tougher competition, BUT, she retired at 29.
Her overall career winning percentage is higher than serena's, this is remarkable when you realize the sick sheer amount of HOF talent during graf's era.
Women's tennis would never again see such an international glut of talent that prolific.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Borg hanging it up at 26 really sucked.

Question for our tennis authorities here. If Borg had made it a priority to up his game on all surfaces, would he have gotten it done in Flushing Meadows or Roland Garros?

Or was he simply the greatest one trick pony ever?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Because the U.S. media in the '70s really only gave run to the U.S. Open and Wimbledon, your not knowing that Borg won 6 French Opens might be understandable.

Bjorn was a two trick pony.
He dominated Wimbledon and the French -- and in fact was regarded as the greatest clay court player of all-time until Rafa's dominance at the French became completely overwhelming.

Borg won a lot of hard court events, but he just always came up short at the U.S. Open.

A lot of Euro players of his era found the hectic, loud, unsettled environment in NY to be difficult.
They also played under the lights in NY (which was not done at Wimbly or the French) and Borg seemed uncomfortable with it.

Borg rightfully should have notched at least one U.S. Open, but he never did.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yeah, as you can see, my tennis knowledge is a tad biased to Wimbledon and USO. Did he even get close at the Open?

My following of Tennis in general was pretty much watching Wimbledon finals and the occasional US Open. Never paid much attention to The French, obviously, but I do admit that watching people play on clay is pretty cool.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

smackaholic wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:04 pm Borg hanging it up at 26 really sucked.

Question for our tennis authorities here. If Borg had made it a priority to up his game on all surfaces, would he have gotten it done in Flushing Meadows or Roland Garros?

Or was he simply the greatest one trick pony ever?
ACTUALLY?
HE'S NOT a one trick pony.
The french open is played on clay. A very slow surface.
He won 6 french opens!
Wimbledon is grass, a very fast surface. 5 Wimbledons.
He retired at 26 with 11 grand slams on two totally different surfaces!
No doubt in my mind he's top 5 of all time.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:52 pm Because the U.S. media in the '70s really only gave run to the U.S. Open and Wimbledon, your not knowing that Borg won 6 French Opens might be understandable.

Bjorn was a two trick pony.
He dominated Wimbledon and the French -- and in fact was regarded as the greatest clay court player of all-time until Rafa's dominance at the French became completely overwhelming.

Borg won a lot of hard court events, but he just always came up short at the U.S. Open.

A lot of Euro players of his era found the hectic, loud, unsettled environment in NY to be difficult.
They also played under the lights in NY (which was not done at Wimbly or the French) and Borg seemed uncomfortable with it.

Borg rightfully should have notched at least one U.S. Open, but he never did.
Borg was great on ANY surface, fast or slow.
Back then. The Australian open was played in November.
So when he didn't win the US open in September, he decided not to go play the aussie open.
Who knows?
The point is that at 26, your very best peak years are still ahead of you. And he retires.
Any way you look at it?
11 grand slams by 26, puts him top 5 all time in my mind.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:35 am NHL - Neutral zone trap- Single handedly took scoring out of hockey. The 60 goal scorer is less common than full solar eclipses.
They also got rid of the two line pass rule to help break the trap.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I have a question for you tennis freaks---why is it in tennis that teenagers are able to consistently beat players who are physically stronger and faster and who have more experience compared to other sports? I know that there isn't the collision aspect in tennis that there is in almost all other sports, but teenagers consistently win tournaments.

I mean they talk about kids going pro at 14. That's crazy young. Even soccer thinks that's robbing the cradle.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:52 pm I have a question for you tennis freaks---why is it in tennis that teenagers are able to consistently beat players who are physically stronger and faster and who have more experience compared to other sports? I know that there isn't the collision aspect in tennis that there is in almost all other sports, but teenagers consistently win tournaments.

I mean they talk about kids going pro at 14. That's crazy young. Even soccer thinks that's robbing the cradle.
Tennis is all about quickness and footwork. Because if you can't get into the correct position for your groundstrokes to be most effective, you won't be able to control the rally, and your opponent will have the edge.

That's why tennis is such a young person's sport.
As we age, we put on weight, get slower, the body gets hurt and takes longer to recover.
Obviously there's genetic freaks like Federer etc....but they are the exception, not the rule.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

EAP wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 pm
Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:52 pm I have a question for you tennis freaks---why is it in tennis that teenagers are able to consistently beat players who are physically stronger and faster and who have more experience compared to other sports? I know that there isn't the collision aspect in tennis that there is in almost all other sports, but teenagers consistently win tournaments.

Tennis is all about quickness and footwork. Because if you can't get into the correct position for your groundstrokes to be most effective, you won't be able to control the rally, and your opponent will have the edge.

As we age, we put on weight, get slower, the body gets hurt and takes longer to recover.
Obviously there's genetic freaks like Federer etc....but they are the exception, not the rule.
This is a good answer.

The basic skill for tennis can be learned at a young age -- and being young means you are lighter, more agile, quick, and flexible.
A young body can also recover from a tough match and be ready to play strong again the next day.

Becker, Chang, and Wilander won majors at age 17, but none of them reached #1 in the world then.

But there have been many women who have risen to the very top, or damn near, while still very young.
Hingis (16), Austin (16), Graf (17), Seles (16), Evert (19), both Williams sisters, and others.

Women mature faster than men, and women tend to put on more pounds as they begin to age.
So being young is a big advantage for a female player -- provided the necessary skill is present.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 pm
EAP wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 pm

This is a good answer.

The basic skill for tennis can be learned at a young age -- and being young means you are lighter, more agile, quick, and flexible.
A young body can also recover from a tough match and be ready to play strong again the next day.

Becker, Chang, and Wilander won majors at age 17, but none of them reached #1 in the world then.

But there have been many women who have risen to the very top, or damn near, while still very young.
Hingis (16), Austin (16), Graf (17), Seles (16), Evert (19), both Williams sisters, and others.

Women mature faster than men, and women tend to put on more pounds as they begin to age.
So being young is a big advantage for a female player -- provided the necessary skill is present.
Agree 100%.
Look at serena in the beginning.
Slender fast.
Did she get a boob job?
Cause she's top heavy.
She's gotta be at least 100 pounds heavier now.
But, because women's tennis isn't stocked to the max like it was, she can still hang around and beat a lot of cupcakes.
But all in all, it's a young person's sport.
Even golfers fade as they get older. Jack's masters win at 46 is still remarkable.
Boxing is quite obvious.
Although BIG george foreman winning the heavyweight title at almost 45, was amazing.

Nolan Ryan in baseball obviously a genetic freak of nature.
Gordie Howe in hockey.
Brett Favre put up sick insane numbers at 40.
Would've won the super bowl if the saints didn't get caught cheating.
Sean Payton was suspended for a year. Most of his staff fired.
Favre was hit a good 3-4 seconds after the whistle on several plays if I recall correctly.
Which begs the question.
We're the refs in on it too??
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I’m kind of surprised we don’t see more success in golf among the over 40 crowd.

Is it because feel degrades?

Tiger just won, there was Jack at 46.

Sam Snead did pretty well on the tour into his 50s. Player did quite well into his 40s.

You’d think there’d be more.

You still have good strength at that age. You lose quickness but so what?

You’d think the benefit of experience would make up for losing a few yards of distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

A lot of the golfers loose their putting touch as they get older. "The yips."

Not sure why. Maybe the nerves aren't as stable.

Plus, length of the tee isn't all about strength. You start loosing flexibility the length starts decreasing proportionally. I remember when I was in my 20s and 30s I could see the head of my driver out the corner of my left eye at end of my back swing. I haven't played for a couple of years, but I would probably be lucky to get much past vertical anymore.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Mikey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:59 pm A lot of the golfers loose their putting touch as they get older. "The yips."

Plus, length of the tee isn't all about strength. You start loosing flexibility the length starts decreasing proportionally. I remember when I was in my 20s and 30s I could see the head of my driver out the corner of my left eye at end of my back swing. I haven't played for a couple of years, but I would probably be lucky to get much past vertical anymore.
your post is spot on, and relates to one of the all time ALMOST greatest moments in sports history.

In 2009 I believe it was.
The British open.
Tom Watson is 59 years old.
ALL he needed to do was just "par" the final hole, and history would've been made.
But his PUTTING is what failed him.
Watch it on YouTube if you like gut wrenching moments.
He ended up with a bogey.
And forced a playoff with Stuart Cink. Who went on to beat Watson for his only major.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

EAP wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:42 am
Mikey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:59 pm A lot of the golfers loose their putting touch as they get older. "The yips."

your post is spot on, and relates to one of the all time ALMOST greatest moments in sports history.

In 2009 I believe it was.
The British open.
Tom Watson is 59 years old.
ALL he needed to do was just "par" the final hole, and history would've been made.
But his PUTTING is what failed him.
Watch it on YouTube if you like gut wrenching moments.
He ended up with a bogey.
And forced a playoff with Stuart Cink. Who went on to beat Watson for his only major.
It was part putting, part hitting an 8 iron a little too well. Maybe just a little adrenalin flowing?

I was never a big TW fan, but I was pulling hard for him there.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Just went back and watched a youtube clip highlighting that tournament.

Tom putted his motherfukking ass off!!!!

Sadly, this highlight video skipped the most important shot, the 8 iron he hit a little to well.

He did yip that last put, but to say putting is what lost the tourney, uhhh, no.

I'll bet a day doesn't go by that Tom doesn't say WTF didn't I go with a 9 iron.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

smackaholic wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:01 pm Just went back and watched a youtube clip highlighting that tournament.

Tom putted his motherfukking ass off!!!!

Sadly, this highlight video skipped the most important shot, the 8 iron he hit a little to well.

He did yip that last put, but to say putting is what lost the tourney, uhhh, no.

I'll bet a day doesn't go by that Tom doesn't say WTF didn't I go with a 9 iron.
BUT, the putt that counted most?
He pulled it.
2 putt correct?
You literally see him choke on that putt.
It's one thing to be a bit short, but he literally pulled it off line.
That's a big time choke, in a big time situation.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

“Tiger”
Idiot just rolled his car. He is not a very good driver.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Kierland wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 pm “Tiger”

That's some funny shit!

Wow, jaws of life...I wonder which one of his hoes had to suck him out of the car...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Fukkin' asian drivers....
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Looks like he whacked something pretty damn hard. I'm guessing that once again, his cell phone has butt-fukked him in the mouf.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

smackaholic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:29 pm Looks like he whacked something pretty damn hard. I'm guessing that once again, his cell phone has butt-fukked him in the mouf.
Are you sure that it's not a bird strike?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Naziaholic is famous for pulling shit straight out of his ass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 pm
smackaholic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:29 pm Looks like he whacked something pretty damn hard. I'm guessing that once again, his cell phone has butt-fukked him in the mouf.
Are you sure that it's not a bird strike?
Really big fukking bird.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Eldrick shattered his ankle.

:shock:

And look at me, I'm in tatters
I'm shattered...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:40 am

I'm shattered...
The Stones need to redo that video with more up to date footage. Maybe do it on SF or LA.
Slap
Elwood

Post by Slap »

Softball Bat wrote:Hingis (16), Austin (16), Graf (17), Seles (16), Evert (19)
I wanted to lay wood to each of them.
smackaholic wrote:I would touch someone's dick, hell, I'd fukking blow him
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

smackaholic wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:55 pm
Softball Bat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:40 am

I'm shattered...
The Stones need to redo that video with more up to date footage. Maybe do it on SF or LA.
Fuck off traitor.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Slap wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:35 pm
Softball Bat wrote:Hingis (16), Austin (16), Graf (17), Seles (16), Evert (19)
I wanted to lay wood to each of them.
This needs a rank'em.

Evert, Austin, Hingis, Seles, Graf
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

FiatLux wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm
Wow, jaws of life...
I immediately called BS on that (and I was right).

My old old buddy is a firefighter/paramedic. He's said for years that while the have jaws of life on the truck, they never come off the truck. It's an antiquated method for extraction. A cordless reciprocating saw (aka Sawzall, which is a brand name -- they use DeWalt) gets the roof off much more quickly. 4 guys with 2 saws can peel it open in a few seconds, depending on the damage and how the vehicle is positioned.

But in Eldrick's case, they used neither.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Got a DeWalt in my garage. A very useful tool.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sorry, I thought it said transcendental.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Thanks Dins!
Go Bucs, Gators
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Dinsdale wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:08 pm
Wow, jaws of life...

My old old buddy is a firefighter/paramedic. He's said for years that while the have jaws of life on the truck, they never come off the truck. It's an antiquated method for extraction. A cordless reciprocating saw (aka Sawzall, which is a brand name -- they use DeWalt) gets the roof off much more quickly. 4 guys with 2 saws can peel it open in a few seconds, depending on the damage and how the vehicle is positioned.

They come off all the time with people that know their shit cause sparks and gas don’t mix you fucking traitor POS.

Go suck more proud boy dick.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

BSmack wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:35 am NBA - LeBron James: LeBron is not just a basketball and media icon, he also completely changed the way star players move around in the NBA. For better or worse, the days of guys like MJ and Kobe building teams around them is over. Now top-level players move around all over the league.

NFL - Bill Belichick: Belichick broke the salary cap system that was supposed to ensure parity in the NFL. Six Super bowls may just be the most unbreakable record yet.

MLB - The Bash Brothers: McGuire and Canseco made it clear to everybody that steroids work. Two of the greatest records in baseball are now tainted because of what McGuire and Canseco started, and numerous players Hall of Fame candidacies are in limbo.

NHL - Neutral zone trap- Single handedly took scoring out of hockey. The 60 goal scorer is less common than full solar eclipses.

Other Sports - Tiger Woods: every golfer who puts a multimillion-dollar check into their bank account should say a little thank you to Tiger Woods. It's hard to even fathom how miniscule in comparison the PGA Tour was before Tiger started winning majors in bushel loads.
Lebron has the right to move about the country because he wills it, and not his owners.

The Bash Brothers and steroids is chickenfeed compared to the benefits of creating records under a segregated system.

Tiger modernized how golf is played competitively, yes.

Explain the pros and cons of the neutral zone.

Bill Belicheat is a scumbag who probably belongs in hell with Paterno, servicing Bliss, Rupp and both Meyers in a daisy-chain of malfeasance unbecoming of any sport.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Kierland wrote:
Dinsdale wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:08 pm
Wow, jaws of life...

They come off all the time with people that know their shit cause sparks and gas don’t mix you fucking traitor POS.

Go suck more proud boy dick.
I’m pretty sure they asses each situation for fuel leaks before starting. And, they are the fire department. They got shit on hand to deal with sparks if they did.

BTW, a sawzall cutting through steel/aluminum/plastic isn’t gonna make much for sparks. You’d know that if you ever used one for anything other than a buttplug mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

More fake science from the traitor. Yes steel on steel sawing creates no sparks. Eat more orange dick fuckhead.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

No fake science. Just observation from cutting a fair amount of steel with a sawzall. Now if you want to talk about a chopsaw, or whatever the fukk the proper term is for a rotating circular blade, then yes, they make tons of sparks.

Stick to poorly representing scumbags and sucking dicks. You know nothing about using power tools, outside of maybe small silicon AA battery operated ones.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Personal observations by idiots, especially traitors who suck Dims dick, is not science. Science is done by people with brains you fucking America hating asswipe. Dims is full of shit. The jaws are used a bunch and I have personally watched many many hrs of extraction video for many different cases where I watched just such a things. Dims was being Dims and you fell for it just like you fall to your knees to suck Nazi dick. Fuck off traitor.