Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Re: A thread for things that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Sudden Sam »

Jsc810 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:59 pm
Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:08 pm And tomorrow they're serving ribs
Nutrisystem can blow a goat.
I am about to devour a monstrous pulled pork sandwich with slaw on it. This place is grreat!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:08 pm Monday in south Louisiana means red beans and rice. And the inmates at the Capitol cafeteria cook some fine red beans. With smoked sausage, sweet potatoes, mustard greens, cornbread, a fried pork chop, and some tea. Yeah.

And tomorrow they're serving ribs. :bananaS:
Those people are called slaves, you’re eating food prepared by slaves. Hope it made you feel good.
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Kierland wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:13 pm
Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:08 pm Monday in south Louisiana means red beans and rice. And the inmates at the Capitol cafeteria cook some fine red beans. With smoked sausage, sweet potatoes, mustard greens, cornbread, a fried pork chop, and some tea. Yeah.

And tomorrow they're serving ribs. :bananaS:
Those people are called slaves, you’re eating food prepared by slaves. Hope it made you feel good.
Nice troll job, not really though.

13th Amendment:
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
And from https://www.aclu.org/news/human-rights/ ... onviction.

"U.S. law also explicitly excludes incarcerated workers from the most universally recognized workplace protections. Incarcerated workers are not covered by minimum wage laws or overtime protection, are not afforded the right to unionize, and are denied workplace safety guarantees.

So you are full of shit. "counsellor"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Meat Head wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:12 pm "U.S. law also explicitly excludes incarcerated workers from the most universally recognized workplace protections. Incarcerated workers are not covered by minimum wage laws or overtime protection, are not afforded the right to unionize, and are denied workplace safety guarantees.
So...basically slaves. Thanks for pointing this out.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

So you skipped Con Law. How am I not surprised?

“But they are happy slaves, that jumped at a chance to work in the house and not in the fields.”

Like I have been saying for years. You’re a R who pretends to be a D.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Jsc810 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:04 pm Holy shit.

They are inmates. They have been convicted of robbery, murder, arson, drug trafficking, and other major crimes.

They currently are in the custody of the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections. For their crimes, most of them have spent years at Louisiana State Penitentiary, better known as Angola. Because they demonstrated themselves as model inmates, they earned the chance to participate in a work release program. After successful participation in typically construction-type jobs, they are given a chance to work at the Capitol and other state buildings.

Every single one of them jump at this opportunity. They much prefer making and serving red beans and rice at the Capitol, instead of being at Angola locked in their cell 23 hours a day or doing farm work.

So no, they are not slaves. They are inmates serving time. And they would rather be at the Capitol rather than any of their other options.
State governments should not be leveraging prison inmates for their cheap labor at the expense of regular people. I don't care if LA's prison system is so barbaric that this is framed as a reward to well behaving inmates.

In LA's defense, this is not just a LA problem.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:45 pmState governments should not be leveraging prison inmates for their cheap labor...
Why not? They are in prison because they are paying a debt to society for their crimes. The opportunity for rehabilitation offered is neither free nor inexpensive. You see this as "slavery," because, well, let's face it, Screwy, you're really fucking stupid.

Evidently these cooks are talented enough to impress, JSC. That is a highly marketable job skill with uptown, word of mouth buzz. It's a skill that a convict who is honestly committed to rehabilitation can use to make a living once they have served their time. Restaurants are hiring everywhere for every position.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:28 pm Why not? They are in prison because they are paying a debt to society for their crimes. The opportunity for rehabilitation offered is neither free nor inexpensive. You see this as "slavery," because, well, let's face it, Screwy, you're really fucking stupid.

Evidently these cooks are talented enough to impress, JSC. That is a highly marketable job skill with uptown, word of mouth buzz. It's a skill that a convict who is honestly committed to rehabilitation can use to make a living once they have served their time. Restaurants are hiring everywhere for every position.
Yeah, removing job opportunities for non-criminals so LA can save a few bucks is a great idea.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

mvscal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:28 pm
Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:45 pmState governments should not be leveraging prison inmates for their cheap labor...
Why not? They are in prison because they are paying a debt to society for their crimes. The opportunity for rehabilitation offered is neither free nor inexpensive. You see this as "slavery," because, well, let's face it, Screwy, you're really fucking stupid.

^Sees no difference between opportunity and mandates.

That’s why you are a Nazi dude. And he sees it as slavery because that’s what involuntary servitude is. Sorry if facts are hurting your feelings.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

poptart wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:21 am This is what would happen if Dinsdale was a reporter.

Reporter + Jimmy Butler + Coalescing =

What the hell does that mean?

You said a big word.

:lol:
Jimmy and the Heat are coalescing once again.

One game from making it to the NBA Finals.

Up 3-0 over the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:28 pm Image

Every one of these guys would rather be making red beans at the Capitol, and when they demonstrate rehabilitation, they may have an opportunity to do so.

That pic is from Angola, where they grow almost all of the food they eat, including cattle, pigs, and chickens.
You're not making the point you think you're making, but continue.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

How it actually works is they are slaves. House slaves are still slaves. But go ahead and dig a bigger hole.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:12 pm I am merely providing information as to how it actually works.

If they are at Angola, then they have been convicted of serious crimes. I don't have any problem at all in having inmates work, especially considering that work directly contributes to their maintenance, upkeep, and rehabilitation.
I get it. Inmates need to work. But the entire reason there is this setup of "talented" inmates cooking food at the LA capitol is because of the history of LA using inmate labor for businesses to profit from. But also so that the priviledged lawmakers and people who work at the capitol can get better food for cheap than having to pay market rate for the same food quality. Or you can pay market rate for a food service employee.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:00 pm For cheap? I just paid over $14 for the red beans plate lunch, and that was before tipping them.
We're not discussing profit margins.....
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Chip wants to know what’s cheaper than a slave. What a POS human.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:24 pm Chip wants to know what’s cheaper than a slave. What a POS human.
Chip is not a POS human. He might be a bit conservative for your taste and mine, but he's not a POS human.

But again, he inadvertently made my point. He correctly pointed out that his $14 was not cheap. But who's profiting from that $14 lunch if the inmates are making $0.50/hour (at the most)? The fukkin state of LA.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

It just keeps getting better. “I don’t mind a bunch of guards getting paid bank to watch the slaves.”

Only a POS has these views of other human beings, especially since he is ok to doing it to entrepreneurs just because they sell crack and not booze.
Sven Golly
Elwood

Post by Sven Golly »

Kierland wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:15 pm How it actually works is they are slaves. House slaves are still slaves. But go ahead and dig a bigger hole.
Are you insane??? They are inmates you stupid shit.

How do you make the leap to slavery?

You are really grasping.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Comparing inmates to slaves is ignorant as hell. I can’t believe the garbage I’m reading. There isn’t any similarity whatsoever.

Slaves in the Americas had no choice as to their fate. Inmates opted into the penal system by choosing to break laws.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:53 pm But as noted, the involuntary servitude or slavery is expressly authorized by the Constitution, so I'm not seeing much of an issue here, nothing of concern.
So what? Slavery and segregation was encoded in the Constitution for hundreds of years. That didn't make them right.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

For Chip--

https://www-jstor-org.dclibrary.idm.ocl ... 5136?seq=2
To understand the conditions that have allowed such an exploitative industry to develop, we have to look at the origin of the US prison system itself. Before the abolition of slavery, there was no real prison system in the US. Punishment for crime consisted of physical torture. In 1865, the 13th Amendment officially abolished slavery for all people except those convicted of a crime and opened the door for mass criminalization.

Prisons were built in the South as part of the backlash to Black Reconstruction and as a mechanism to re-enslave Black workers. In the late 19th century South, an extensive prison system was developed in the interest of maintaining the racial and economic relationship of slavery.

LA's famous Angola Prison illustrates this. In 1880, this 8,000-acre family plantation was purchased by the state of LA and converted into a prison. Slave quarters became cell units. Now expanded to 18,000 acres, the Angola plantation is tilled by prisoners working the land--modern day chattel slavery.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Sven Golly wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:26 pm
Kierland wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:15 pm How it actually works is they are slaves. House slaves are still slaves. But go ahead and dig a bigger hole.

You are really grasping.
The 13th Amendment. Try and keep up you stupid Nazi fuck.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:25 pm
Screw_Michigan wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:12 pm So what? Slavery and segregation was encoded in the Constitution for hundreds of years. That didn't make them right.
Good point. I'll also concede that Angola has a history that is, well, not nice. And I'll further concede that despite relatively recent improvements, more can and should be done.

But still I don't have a problem with inmates working.

What would you prefer they do as they serve their sentence? Angola is huge, one of the largest maximum security prisons in the country. (might be the largest, can't remember now) About 3/4 of the inmates are serving life, or practical life sentences of 200 years. So most of the inmates will never ever leave, and many (most?) will be buried in one of the cemeteries at Angola.

Meh, I'm rambling, sorry about that. Still don't see a problem in working the inmates.
Fuck you are stupid. We want them to work, we don’t want them to HAVE to work or get punished. Do you even know how prisons and their credit system work?
And this is a guy who GRADES con law exams. No wonder you are a bunch of illiterate frog fuckers.
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Kierland wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:45 pm

You are really grasping.
13 says it's OK to enslave as punishment for crime.

"Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Don't like it? Not fair? Ho hum. :simpson11:
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

MS;
How do you feel about Calfornia's use of inmates for fighting wildfires?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Meat Head wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:56 pm
Kierland wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:45 pm

You are really grasping.
13 says it's OK to enslave as punishment for crime.

"Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Don't like it? Not fair? Ho hum. :simpson11:
I know what it says. And no I’m not a big fan of slavery, I take it you are.

Diego,
Not sure what your question is about fire fighting specifically, but I’m not in favor of any slavery, even if it’s call voluntary on its surface.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Jsc810 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:28 pm

Every one of these guys would rather be making red beans at the Capitol, and when they demonstrate rehabilitation, they may have an opportunity to do so.

That pic is from Angola, where they grow almost all of the food they eat, including cattle, pigs, and chickens.
That is how all prisons should operate. You grow the food, you maintain the facility and you pay your fucking debt to society. Hard work is neither cruel nor unusual. That being said, inmates should not be subjected to violent abuse from staff or other inmates and prison gangs need to get broken up. That is total bullshit.

Tough but fair.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Simplistic people like you are so funny. Well funny if you couldn’t vote.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

mvscal wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:46 pmThat is how all prisons should operate. You grow the food, you maintain the facility and you pay your fucking debt to society.
Isn't the debt paid through denial of liberty? Providing free or nearly free labor to commercial interests is also part of the debt repayment?

I have no problem with inmates being put to work, doing the kind of work you cited - self-sustainment and maintenance/cleaning of their living facilities is reasonable. Even providing labor for private industry is fine, as long as they're paid a "reasonable" wage (however that's defined, but certainly higher than what is currently paid). Why should companies that hire prisoners enjoy a cost benefit over competitors by not having to pay nearly as much for labor?

If one of the purposes of incarceration (a big if) is rehabilitation (with the exception of those serving life or on Death Row), it would seem that the primary goal of rehab would be to prepare inmates for release back into society, for the sake of both the inmate and the community. Among the boxes to check would be marketable skills in an area where there was a demand, and some cash to tide one over during the first few weeks/months of freedom. If inmates were allowed to earn and save a bit while benefiting industry with below-market (but not slave) labor and learning a marketable skill, that would go at least part way toward easing the transition back into society (a win for both the inmate and the community), without coddling the offenders.

As it is, at least in some parts of the country, the types of private industry jobs farmed out to prisons are ONLY performed by prisoners, such as making license plates. Meaning there's no market for those skill sets on the outside, and those performing the work for pennies an hour are unable to save anything for when they're released. So they're released with a few dollars, no skills, a criminal record making them nearly unhirable, and are expected to seamlessly blend back into proper society and become productive citizens. Just doesn't seem that the rehab aspect of incarceration in this country has been well thought out.
"I see everything twice!"
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Smackie Chan wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:01 am
mvscal wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:46 pmThat is how all prisons should operate. You grow the food, you maintain the facility and you pay your fucking debt to society.
Isn't the debt paid through denial of liberty?
No. Any other questions? I'm here to help.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

SC,
You seem to be stuck in the weeds. The question isn’t about the carrot (how rehabilitation works) it’s the stick (how to make rehabilitation work). If slavery were outlawed the system would still be about the same except the State couldn’t punish you for refusing to work a shit job for no money.

I had a guy the State did not want to parol for political reasons (they basically thought he also killed his wife in Maryland before coming to California but couldn’t prove it, we call it a silent murder) but he had done everything he needed to do except 10years earlier he participated in a prison wide labor strike, which they could only use against him due to slavery still being legal.

The State should be able to lead a prisoner to water, they just shouldn’t be able to force them to drink.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

mvscal wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:24 am
Smackie Chan wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:01 am
Isn't the debt paid through denial of liberty?
No. Any other questions? I'm here to help.
While this is true (they need to pay restitution and whatnot) it’s not true for the reasons Ginger Hitler thinks.
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Smackie Chan wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:01 am Just doesn't seem that the rehab aspect of incarceration in this country has been well thought out.
Meaningful rehab costs money. No one wants to pay, so most of what we hear about "rehab" is just propaganda. In the mean time we house criminals until the jail/prison is full, then let them out to reoffend.

The circle game, ver. 666x
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

What we do costs more money than rehab, which is why it’s done this way. Got to keep the fat prison industrial complex fat.
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Kierland wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:52 pm What we do costs more money than rehab, which is why it’s done this way. Got to keep the fat prison industrial complex fat.
This.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Kierland wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:52 pm What we do costs more money than rehab, which is why it’s done this way. Got to keep the fat prison industrial complex fat.
We would never accept paying more for imprisoning criminals than rehabbing them.

That would be like paying more for medical care with our current system than having medicare for all.

Oh wait...
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:18 pm We would never accept paying more for imprisoning criminals than rehabbing them.

That would be like paying more for medical care with our current system than having medicare for all.

Oh wait...
Yep
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

WTF?!

Uganda is one of the 64 countries in the world that criminalize same-sex consensual acts, but the new law establishes tougher new punishment. It mandates life sentences for same-sex relations, 20 years in prison for “promoting” homosexuality, and death penalty for “aggravated homosexuality,” which includes same-sex acts involving people under the age of 18 or when a person is HIV positive.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Booger wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:12 am WTF?!

Uganda is one of the 64 countries in the world that criminalize same-sex consensual acts, but the new law establishes tougher new punishment. It mandates life sentences for same-sex relations, 20 years in prison for “promoting” homosexuality, and death penalty for “aggravated homosexuality,” which includes same-sex acts involving people under the age of 18 or when a person is HIV positive.
Damn, wish we would have thought of this first.

Sincerely,
Ron DeSantis
Greg Abbott
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Booger wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:12 am WTF?!

Again this is what happens when people like you are in charge.