Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

It's the 15th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Roach

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Left Seater wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:37 pm
Glad to see SM is back. Sorry you struggled and hope your health is back to normal.

Shocker, I agree with his take. The rules are the rules and she knew them going in for the most part. We make a choice to suck it up and deal with things or not.

I have been very close to pro sports for years. Damn near every pro sport requires some sort of post game media access. Team sports can somewhat limit individual interaction but individual sports don’t have that luxury. Maybe the young lady can hire a publicist/handler that will accompany her to these pressers in the future.
Tow the Corp line.

And SM should be ashamed of himself, “I had some issues but I don’t care if she does.” Talk about a lack of empathy.

CAN she be required to show up at a dog and pony show so fat cats can get fatter? Yes. SHOULD she be required to do so? No.

User avatar
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos
Posts: 11762
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:31 am
Location: The Great State of Texas

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Left Seater » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:51 pm

Softball Bat wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:22 pm

As a fan, I am not owed anything from the players,
They are just out there competing for prize money. And I can enjoy watching that.
Wrong. As a fan players owe you certain things. They owe you an honest match or competition, free from their cheating or fixing, they owe you their 100% and commitment in each match and they owe you their loyalty.

There is no prize money to compete for in the traditional sense without you the fan. If you don’t watch and others don’t watch the prize money dries up. The pros aren’t each putting up 1/128th of the pot with the winner taking home the vast majority of the pot.

I am sure this young lady has sponsors since she has won multiple majors. Does she pull the same card with them to avoid public appearances? Or does she say to Rolex, sorry I refuse to show up to this required event as per my contract with you?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:08 pm

poptart wrote:As a fan, I am not owed anything from the players,
They are just out there competing for prize money. And I can enjoy watching that.
LS wrote:Wrong. As a fan players owe you certain things. They owe you an honest match or competition, free from their cheating or fixing, they owe you their 100% and commitment in each match and they owe you their loyalty.
The players do not owe me that.

If I see "tanking" or cheating from a player, I can simply choose not to ever watch that player again.
Or I can choose, as a consumer, not to watch pro tennis again.
If I do not like a player, for whatever reason, I can simply make the choice not to watch him/her.

The players do not owe me jack shit.

They certainly do not owe me their answers to a reporter's questions.
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos
Posts: 11762
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:31 am
Location: The Great State of Texas

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Left Seater » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 pm

You are certainly allowed your opinion. But rest assured that the players are told all the time that they owe fans these things.

You do you, but most of the rest of us will hold the players to this minimum level.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:25 pm

Left Seater wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 pm
You are certainly allowed your opinion. But rest assured that the players are told all the time that they owe fans these things.

You do you, but most of the rest of us will hold the players to this minimum level.
When was the last time you listened to a women’s French open presser. This is, like most things in your life, about power and control.

Thank god Darwin will off you soon enough.

User avatar
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake
Posts: 16860
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: 20011

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Screw_Michigan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 pm

Kierland wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:25 pm
When was the last time you listened to a women’s French open presser. This is, like most things in your life, about power and control.

Thank god Darwin will off you soon enough.
Who gives a shit about actually watching a presser? That's not the point. Do you believe in a free press or not? Do you believe non professionals should be able to question elite athletes about their performances in person after matches? I do.

Should the concept of a press conference change? That is worth a conversation. Should players have a greater say in how the process plays out? Probably. But a lot of the jizzmopper-bashers just believe that players shouldn't be questioned by reporters *ever* and I think that is crazy. It's part of being a professional athlete and cashing the fact prizewinning checks.

Osaka has you fooled with her self care bullshit.
Derron wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm

You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am

A political celebration isn’t a constitutional right any more than the concert or attending a spectator sport.

User avatar
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos
Posts: 11762
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:31 am
Location: The Great State of Texas

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Left Seater » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:47 am

I mostly agree with Screwy.

I won’t go as far as saying she is fooling people, she prolly does suffer from something. At the same time part of it might be she is young and has been told everyone deserves a trophy her whole life.

I still wonder about her sponsor agreements. Is she doing the meet and greets or public speaking for them while giving the finger to the press? That would indicate Screwy might be correct about her fooling people.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 am

SM,
Forcing someone to answer questions is not a “free press” by any stretch of the imagination. People pay money to watch sports. Nobody pays money to attend a presser. It’s just a power trip by sports entities so they can bank extra cash by sucking press cock.

And again it’s pretty shitty of you to explain your absence as being mental health related and then throwing her under a bus. That is Dumpian levels of lack of self awareness and lack of empathy.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:00 am

Left Seater wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:47 am
At the same time part of it might be she is young and has been told everyone deserves a trophy her whole life.
And you might pass up a doughnut at some point in your life. What a bunch of right wing echo chamber bullshit.
Fuck off traytor.

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:40 am

LS wrote:I won’t go as far as saying she is fooling people, she prolly does suffer from something.
Personally, I don't think it matters if she is "suffering from something" or not.
I think the players should be free to speak or not speak, for whatever reasons.

Freedom and all.

The press can write or say whatever they want.
Freedom for them, also.


LS wrote:At the same time part of it might be she is young and has been told everyone deserves a trophy her whole life.
That sounds more like your own personal hang up.

This woman has WORKED.
She has risen up to be the 2nd best on earth at what she does.
That's some serious business.

How in the world do you arrive at the conclusion that she might adhere to the "everyone deserves a trophy" ideology?

She has busted her ass.
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake
Posts: 16860
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: 20011

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Screw_Michigan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:26 am

Kierland wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 am
SM,
Forcing someone to answer questions is not a “free press” by any stretch of the imagination. People pay money to watch sports. Nobody pays money to attend a presser. It’s just a power trip by sports entities so they can bank extra cash by sucking press cock.

And again it’s pretty shitty of you to explain your absence as being mental health related and then throwing her under a bus. That is Dumpian levels of lack of self awareness and lack of empathy.
Tough shit for Osaka. She and her press adverse colleagues can start their own tour stops that are press-free. Oh, they won't pay the same fat paydays as does the WTA events and the Grand Slams? What a shame.

I sympathize with those who suffer from mental heath challenges. I know how they feel. Unlike you, I'm not easily duped by children like Osaka. I think she's (mostly) lying. Simple as that.
Derron wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm

You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am

A political celebration isn’t a constitutional right any more than the concert or attending a spectator sport.

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:57 am

What do you think her angle is?
What, in your estimation, is she trying to pull off here?

She had a chance at the French to win her 3rd straight major.
That would have meant that if she came through at Wimbledon she would go in the history books with a non-calendar grand slam.

She is also on the precipice of being #1 in the world, and that took a big hit by her defaulting out of the French.
Not to mention the considerable loss of potential prize money.

What is her upside from dropping out?
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake
Posts: 16860
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: 20011

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Screw_Michigan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:02 am

Softball Bat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:57 am
What do you think her angle is?
What, in your estimation, is she trying to pull off here?

She had a chance at the French to win her 3rd straight major.
That would have meant that if she came through at Wimbledon she would go in the history books with a non-calendar grand slam.

She is also on the precipice of being #1 in the world, and that took a big hit by her defaulting out of the French.
Not to mention the considerable loss of potential prize money.

What is her upside from dropping out?
It's pretty simple. She doesn't want to do pressers anymore, period, and she (and whoever is guiding her) thinks that she will make the WTA and the Grand Slams cave to her demands because she is the #2 in the world. She also has enough bank where she can issue these demands and pull out when she doesn't get her way and not take a huge financial hit. Remember that her tennis winnings are like 20% of her total earnings.
Derron wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm

You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am

A political celebration isn’t a constitutional right any more than the concert or attending a spectator sport.

User avatar
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake
Posts: 16860
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: 20011

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Screw_Michigan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:02 am

Kierland wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 am
And again it’s pretty shitty of you to explain your absence as being mental health related and then throwing her under a bus. That is Dumpian levels of lack of self awareness and lack of empathy.
Yawn
Derron wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm

You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am

A political celebration isn’t a constitutional right any more than the concert or attending a spectator sport.

User avatar
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6
Posts: 20229
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 am
Location: upside it

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by smackaholic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Everyone on both sides is making this too complicated.

It isn’t about a “free press”.

It isn’t about whether or not this chick wants to do it.

It is about an organization having the right to set requirements for those that want to take part in the organization.

They can require press appearances if they chose to.

She can agree to meet these requirements or she can do something else with her life.

She does not have any special right to take part, without complying with the terms.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screw_Michigan wrote:The candidate of you shitbags won't accept the peaceful transfer of power.

Nice going, shitstains. Fuck you all.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:02 am
Kierland wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 am
And again it’s pretty shitty of you to explain your absence as being mental health related and then throwing her under a bus. That is Dumpian levels of lack of self awareness and lack of empathy.
Yawn
Nice white flag fucker.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:26 am
Kierland wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 am
SM,
Forcing someone to answer questions is not a “free press” by any stretch of the imagination. People pay money to watch sports. Nobody pays money to attend a presser. It’s just a power trip by sports entities so they can bank extra cash by sucking press cock.

And again it’s pretty shitty of you to explain your absence as being mental health related and then throwing her under a bus. That is Dumpian levels of lack of self awareness and lack of empathy.
Tough shit for Osaka. She and her press adverse colleagues can start their own tour stops that are press-free. Oh, they won't pay the same fat paydays as does the WTA events and the Grand Slams? What a shame.

I sympathize with those who suffer from mental heath challenges. I know how they feel. Unlike you, I'm not easily duped by children like Osaka. I think she's (mostly) lying. Simple as that.
And what in your professional opinion backs up your shit take?

User avatar
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6
Posts: 20229
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 am
Location: upside it

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by smackaholic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:29 pm

Kierland wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:26 am
Kierland wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 am
SM,
Forcing someone to answer questions is not a “free press” by any stretch of the imagination. People pay money to watch sports. Nobody pays money to attend a presser. It’s just a power trip by sports entities so they can bank extra cash by sucking press cock.

And again it’s pretty shitty of you to explain your absence as being mental health related and then throwing her under a bus. That is Dumpian levels of lack of self awareness and lack of empathy.
Tough shit for Osaka. She and her press adverse colleagues can start their own tour stops that are press-free. Oh, they won't pay the same fat paydays as does the WTA events and the Grand Slams? What a shame.

I sympathize with those who suffer from mental heath challenges. I know how they feel. Unlike you, I'm not easily duped by children like Osaka. I think she's (mostly) lying. Simple as that.
And what in your professional opinion backs up your shit take?
He’s talking out his ass, just like you.

Welcome back Screwey, you fukking nut job.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screw_Michigan wrote:The candidate of you shitbags won't accept the peaceful transfer of power.

Nice going, shitstains. Fuck you all.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:09 pm

Says the stupidest echo chamber douche on the block.

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:29 pm

smackaholic wrote:It is about an organization having the right to set requirements for those that want to take part in the organization.

They can require press appearances if they chose to.
Thanks, Marcus.

$15,000 for each missed appearance.
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos
Posts: 11762
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:31 am
Location: The Great State of Texas

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Left Seater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:45 am

Prolly should be more for her. World 2nd ranked. Winner of the last two majors. Seems like she is getting a bargain.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:53 am

LS wrote:bargain





I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
The best I ever had
...
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:22 am

The men's semifinals are set.

A. Zverev vs. S. Tsitsipas
N. Djokovic vs. R. Nadal

I like Nadal and Tsitsipas.
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:37 am

Softball Bat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:29 pm
smackaholic wrote:It is about an organization having the right to set requirements for those that want to take part in the organization.

They can require press appearances if they chose to.
Thanks, Marcus.

$15,000 for each missed appearance.
High Flying Bird is a great movie on the interaction of sport and capitalism in the age of handheld media. There is also a YouTube vid at Film Qualia about the subject- for those who need the film explained to them.

User avatar
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6
Posts: 20229
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 am
Location: upside it

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by smackaholic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:42 am

Softball Bat wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:22 pm
smackaholic wrote:They can require you show up. They can’t require you be interesting to listen to.
And you've unknowingly adopted my position.

HOW SO?

I understand that they are requiring players do to post-match media.

I'M HAPPY FOR YOU.

But by your response here (she should just go and mumble) you are agreeing with me that a player should be free to snub the media if they want to.

NO. IF SHE SHOWS UP, SHE HAS FILLED THE CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION. THEY CAN'T REQUIRE HER TO BE AN INTERESTING INTERVIEW.


Philosophically, why do tennis players owe the media anything?

PHILOSOPHICALLY, THE WTA OWES HER NOTHING AND SHE OWES THEM NOTHING. NO ONE IS BEING MARCHED ONTO A COURT OR IN FRONT OF A MICROPHONE AT THE POINT OF A GUN.


As I see it, if a player wants (for whatever reason) to speak, speak.
If a player doesn't want (for whatever reason) to speak, don't speak.

As a fan, I am not owed anything from the players,
They are just out there competing for prize money. And I can enjoy watching that.
I am certainly not owed their responses to reporters.
Wtf?

HOW ABOUT YOU ORGANIZE YOUR OWN FUKKING EVENTS THEN FOR SHY TENNIS PLAYERS.

"The media" can get off their fvcking high horse. :)

THIS ISN'T ABOUT THE MEDIA. IT IS ABOUT VOLUNTARY TRANSACTIONS BETWEEN PARTIES WHICH FOLLOW RULES AGREED TO BY SAID PARTIES. IT IS CALLED FREEDOM.
Screw_Michigan wrote:The candidate of you shitbags won't accept the peaceful transfer of power.

Nice going, shitstains. Fuck you all.

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 am

What do you think would happen if the ATP and the WTA made it optional for players to speak to the media?

What would tennis look like a year from now?
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:43 am

“PHILOSOPHICALLY, THE WTA OWES HER NOTHING AND SHE OWES THEM NOTHING. NO ONE IS BEING MARCHED ONTO A COURT OR IN FRONT OF A MICROPHONE AT THE POINT OF A GUN.”

The indignity of capitalism in a nutshell. “I don’t owe you human respect and I expect none to be shown to me.”

Now fuck off nazti traytor.

User avatar
L45B
Commanche Hero
Posts: 3373
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:01 am
Location: NYC - born and raised!!!

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by L45B » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:45 am

Softball Bat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:22 am
The men's semifinals are set.

A. Zverev vs. S. Tsitsipas
N. Djokovic vs. R. Nadal

I like Nadal and Tsitsipas.
Finally, something meaningful to discuss in this thread.

I would like to see Nadal go straight sets all the way to a 14th RG title.

But I think the Djoker is gonna take him down tomorrow. And then lose to Tsitsipas in the finals. Hope I’m wrong.
The fact that so many successful politicians are such shameless liars is not only a reflection on them, it is also a reflection on us. When the people want the impossible, only liars can satisfy.—Thomas Sowell

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:49 pm

L45B wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:45 am
Shut up and serve.
Douchenut.

User avatar
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos
Posts: 11762
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:31 am
Location: The Great State of Texas

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Left Seater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:52 pm

Softball Bat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 am
What do you think would happen if the ATP and the WTA made it optional for players to speak to the media?

What would tennis look like a year from now?
If Screwy is an indication, lots of negative press. But there would be less coverage overall. Why send a reporter or columnist to the tournament when they can just watch it on TV and get the same thing? Coverage of the sport drops some. But a year is too soon to see if there is a hit to the bottom line or a prolonged drop in eyeballs.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Darwin

D A R W I N

Darwin


He is gaining on you fat man.

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 pm

Left Seater wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:52 pm
Softball Bat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 am
What do you think would happen if the ATP and the WTA made it optional for players to speak to the media?

What would tennis look like a year from now?
If Screwy is an indication, lots of negative press. But there would be less coverage overall. Why send a reporter or columnist to the tournament when they can just watch it on TV and get the same thing? Coverage of the sport drops some. But a year is too soon to see if there is a hit to the bottom line or a prolonged drop in eyeballs.
I believe the vast majority of players would continue to speak to the media.
Those who decline to speak would make up a very small minority.

The press might behave a bit better than it does now.

"Your down-the-line passing shot was just not there today, Felix. Have you and your coach addressed that lately?" -- puts people to sleep.

So what we often see in these press encounters are a lot of tabloid-type questions that are designed to be inflammatory. It is intended to stir up drama.
Or else just DUMB questions are asked.

The players don't like the bullshit.
They are not interested in being fodder for these media people.
And especially when now, in the age of the interweb and social media, it is quite easy for them to self-promote and/or get information out to fans if they so choose.


It isn't 1974 any longer.
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos
Posts: 11762
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:31 am
Location: The Great State of Texas

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Left Seater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Sure it isn’t 1974. But in 1974 you had a 5 minute local sports broadcast at 6 and 10. Maybe the network nightly news mentioned the winners of the tennis grand slams, maybe. Then there was the newspaper. Those were the only options.

Today there is a dedicated tennis channel, ESPN, Fox Sports, endless websites, etc. To fill all this time players have to be more giving of their time.

Yes the players also have social media but the output isn’t the same from player to player. Maybe the tour should take a page from the PGA Tour and pay the top players that are active on social media.

But that doesn’t change the fact players need to be accessible to the media at tournaments.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Fatty fat fat admitting this has nothing to do with tennis and everything to do with feeding the corporate machine.

Fuck off nazti

User avatar
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 am

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Softball Bat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 pm

L45B wrote:But I think the Djoker is gonna take him (Nadal) down tomorrow
Good call.

Tsitsipas had to go 5 sets to get past Zverev.
I like Djoker to win it.
Image
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is

User avatar
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6
Posts: 20229
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 am
Location: upside it

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by smackaholic » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 pm

Softball Bat wrote:
Left Seater wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:52 pm
Softball Bat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 am
What do you think would happen if the ATP and the WTA made it optional for players to speak to the media?

What would tennis look like a year from now?
If Screwy is an indication, lots of negative press. But there would be less coverage overall. Why send a reporter or columnist to the tournament when they can just watch it on TV and get the same thing? Coverage of the sport drops some. But a year is too soon to see if there is a hit to the bottom line or a prolonged drop in eyeballs.
I believe the vast majority of players would continue to speak to the media.
Those who decline to speak would make up a very small minority.

The press might behave a bit better than it does now.

"Your down-the-line passing shot was just not there today, Felix. Have you and your coach addressed that lately?" -- puts people to sleep.

So what we often see in these press encounters are a lot of tabloid-type questions that are designed to be inflammatory. It is intended to stir up drama.
Or else just DUMB questions are asked.

The players don't like the bullshit.
They are not interested in being fodder for these media people.
And especially when now, in the age of the interweb and social media, it is quite easy for them to self-promote and/or get information out to fans if they so choose.


It isn't 1974 any longer.
You finally make a decent point.

If the player has the option to get up and walk away if the reporter is being a douche, he might be less of a douche.

But on the other hand, sometimes asking douchey questions is warranted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screw_Michigan wrote:The candidate of you shitbags won't accept the peaceful transfer of power.

Nice going, shitstains. Fuck you all.

User avatar
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake
Posts: 16860
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: 20011

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Screw_Michigan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:19 am

Kierland wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 pm
Fatty fat fat admitting this has nothing to do with tennis and everything to do with feeding the corporate machine.

Fuck off nazti
He's right, stop acting like a whiny child.
Derron wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm

You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am

A political celebration isn’t a constitutional right any more than the concert or attending a spectator sport.

User avatar
Kierland
Have another Round
Posts: 9043
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Kierland » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:12 am

Nothing to see here, not an insurrection, just some tourists at the capital, so move along.

Sin,
ScrewAmerica

User avatar
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake
Posts: 16860
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: 20011

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by Screw_Michigan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:17 am

Kierland wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:12 am
Nothing to see here, not an insurrection, just some tourists at the capital, so move along.

Sin,
ScrewAmerica
That has nothing to do with this and you know it.
Derron wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm

You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am

A political celebration isn’t a constitutional right any more than the concert or attending a spectator sport.

User avatar
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6
Posts: 20229
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 am
Location: upside it

Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open

Post by smackaholic » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:33 am

When even screwey thinks you’re a whiny little cunt, you’ve reached a new level of cunt.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Screw_Michigan wrote:The candidate of you shitbags won't accept the peaceful transfer of power.

Nice going, shitstains. Fuck you all.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests