Pork Rib Roast with Mushroom Red Wine Reduction

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Pork Rib Roast with Mushroom Red Wine Reduction

Post by Mikey »

This roast has aspects from several recipes I found, as well as a few of my own wrinkles. I made it for Christmas dinner and it was so good I decided to to it again last weekend, and take pictures this time. All measurements are approximate, and you can't go too wrong if you adjust to your taste or incorporate your own ideas.

Start with one pork rib roast, frenched (you can see the ends of the ribs) and with the chine bone removed. You can get these at Costco already prepared:

Get it out an hour or so before you want to roast it to bring it to around room temperature.

Start the sauce first because it needs to cook down for a while.

Dice up a couple of shallots and a few garlic cloves. OK to use onion instead of shallot.

Saute in a skillet with some butter and EVOO on medium heat.

After about 10 minutes they should be getting translucent and starting to caramelize a little.

Add 4 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup or red wine. Turn up the heat to medium high and let it start to simmer and cook down. This will take a while because you want to reduce it by 75% to 80%. Also, use a low sodium broth (I had some homemade in the freezer that I used) because when you cook it down so much the salt can get too concentrated. You'll adjust the salt at the end.

While the sauce is reducing you can start getting the rub ready for the roast. Also, preheat your oven to 450 deg.

This is approximate what I used:

3 tbs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tbs fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbs fresh sage, finely chopped
A bunch of garlic cloves (maybe 6), minced.
1 tbs granulated sugar.
1 tbs kosher salt.
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
EVOO (enough to turn it into kind of a paste).

Rub this all over the roast, top and bottom, in a roasting pan and set aside. You don't need a rack in the pan.

Now, back to the sauce.
Cook it down until about 75% (or more) of the liquid is gone.

Strain the remaining liquid into a saucepan and discard the remnants of the shallots and garlic. I used the back of a spoon to squeeze as much of the liquid out as I could. Set this aside for later. You actually do this part hours in advance if you want to. Also, set the skillet aside without washing it.

Put the roast in the oven at 450 deg for 15 minutes. At 15 minutes, turn the temperature down to 325 deg and baste the roast with about 1/4 cup of dry white wine. Repeat the basting part every 15 minutes until the roast is done.

While the roast is in the oven, slice up some mushrooms, about 1/2 lb or so (use more if you love mushrooms). I used a mix that I got at the farmers market that had cremini, shiitake and maitake.
In the same skillet you used for the first step of the sauce, saute the mushrooms in some butter and EVOO for a while, maybe 10 minutes.

Add a cup of chicken broth and 1/3 to 1/2 cup of red wine and simmer slowly for another 5 or 10 minutes. Then, add this mixture to the saucepan where you saved the previous liquid. Be sure to dissolve any cooked on stuff left in the the pan by using the broth and wine.

Leave the roast in the oven until the internal temperature in the thickest part reaches 145 to 150 deg. The total cooking time will probably be between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. I actually turned up the heat to 350 when the temp was about 130 to get a little more browning on the outside. This is what it looked like when I took it out of the oven.

After removing it from the oven, transfer it to another plate or tray and cover with foil while you finish the sauce. Add another cup of broth to the roasting pan, put it on a hot burner and deglaze, while scraping off any cooked on bits of stuff. Strain this liquid into the pan with the mushrooms and start re-heating it. Add a tbs of soy sauce and then adjust for salt. Dissolve a few tablespoons of corn starch in some water and slowly add to the sauce until your desired thickness is reached. This creates an incredibly rich sauce with the flavors of the onion and garlic along with the red wine and mushrooms.

Slice the roast between the bones, like you would with a beef rib roast, and top with mushrooms and sauce. Here's an end piece of the roast served with brown rice. Potatoes work well too. It's very tender, and great with the rich sauce. Add some brussels sprouts or other green vegetable to the plate or, as I did, serve with a big green salad on the side.

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: Pork Rib Roast with Mushroom Red Wine Reduction

Post by ElTaco »

Awesome cook!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Jsc810 wrote:Looks great. But I'm curious, why did you strain out the shallots and garlic?
Good question, and there's nothing wrong with leaving them in. In fact one of the recipes I was looking at had the shallots and garlic in the sauce but no mushrooms.

I was, however, looking to create a smooth sauce that would feature the mushrooms with the pork roast. After cooking it down for 30 to 45 minutes most of the flavor has cooked out of the shallots and garlic into the liquid anyway and, like I said, I wanted the smoother texture. When you add the pan drippings, which surprisingly had very little fat, to this concentrated liquid you end up with an incredibly rich and savory sauce.

The pan drippings are important too because they add a hint of the rosemary and other herbs as well as a very slight bite from the cayenne. The first time I made this the drippings were pretty much cooked onto the pan and I had to deglaze it on the stove with the additional stock. The second time it wasn't completely cooked onto the pan. Both times it came out great though.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Definitely an option but, like I said, I was interested in really featuring the mushrooms.

What I made was more like a highly reduced stock as the basis for my gravy. When you make a stock you generally throw a bunch of veggies (classically carrots, celery and onions, i.e. mirepoix) and herbs in with beef bones, chicken carcass, or whatever, and simmer it until all of the flavors are released. Then you remove all of the solids. At that point they don't really add much to the flavor anymore.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Jsc810 wrote:Ok, I'm following you. But if I was after a smooth sauce, I would have kept the shallots and garlic and got the hand blender on them:

Concur. Love immersion blenders.

That's a nice roast for $26. I might have to check that out tomorrow. Does it really need to baste at all? Can you just put a little wine in the roaster? Oh and you forgot the parsley.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.