Smokers

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Smokers

Post by ElTaco »

All right Chefs! Who here smokes?

Smokes meats that is, like on a Smoker (charcoal, gas or electric). (No need for gay, dick, penis, etc.. Jokes since we can all imagine the content).

Anyone else have a Kamado style smoker? Which one? Whats your technique?

I've been thinking about having some fun, doing some slow cooked, smoked amazing meals and was interested in the Big green egg but couldn't really justify the cost, not yet anyway. I've been looking for a similar solution, just for less. Finally a few months ago I saw the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado grill. I figured at $299, it was a cheap POS, but as I researched it at all the places you can get it online, it had rave reviews going back years. Finally about 3 weeks ago, I picked mine up. So far I've been doing RIBs and each time, they just get better and better.

Once I start nailing the temperature, I'll be moving up to bigger and better things that need to be cooked for 10-16 hours.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Smokers

Post by Dinsdale »

Welcome to the club of smoker addicts here.

So many options it's ridiculous.

I'm a fan of whole chickens.

Search this forum, and you'll find that about half the threads here are someone smoking something.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. No complaints. It's light, simple to use and well engineered.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

What is your technique for keeping the charcoal lit and going at 250? So far I've been doing it for about a month. The Ribs are turning out great, but of course they are the easiest to cook. I did a pork shoulder and that turned out fairly darn well. Also tried a Brisket and while the result was fairly decent for a first try, it was definitely a challange trying to hit 250 and keep it. I kept 230 going for about 2 hours, but inevitably I had to mop/spray the meat and lost it. I saved the fire from going out a few times and ultimately after 5 hours, put both meats into the oven to finish it at ~250.

The Pulled pork turned out fairly awesome, and the brisket had a small smoke ring but it was definitely on the dry side.

I have the char-griller akorn. I did all the hacks to make sure there are no leaks and I'm fairly confident I've got most if not all. No smoke escaping at high heat. Also switched from charcoal briquettes to lump charcoal. Its definitely better but have not hit the magic spot yet.

I'm contemplating going out and getting one of those smoke computers but would prefer to nail it on my own first.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

mvscal wrote:I use a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. No complaints. It's light, simple to use and well engineered.
This. The $299 price is unbeatable for the results and it will cook just as well as a komado smoker.

You should be able to get at least 6 hours of heat without refueling. Also, mopping/spraying the meat during the smoking is a waste of time and charcoal. Prep and season before you put it in, then let the meat "rest" for at least a half hour after taking it out so the juices can work their way back to the surface.

There's nothing magic about 250 degrees. Anywhere between 225 and 275 will get the job done. Use a digital probe thermometer to monitor the meat's temperature, which is the important part.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Still old school here.

It's kind of light weight, getting rusty, the top doesn't fit too tight anymore and it takes some practice to control the heat.
But it was cheap and it seems to get the job done. Plus it doubles as a smoker and charcoal grill.

In the 10 years or so that I've had it I've replaced the grates and the charcoal tray twice, and the wooden shelves are getting ready to go. Parts are pretty inexpensive though.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

ElTaco wrote:What is your technique for keeping the charcoal lit and going at 250? So far I've been doing it for about a month. The Ribs are turning out great, but of course they are the easiest to cook. I did a pork shoulder and that turned out fairly darn well. Also tried a Brisket and while the result was fairly decent for a first try, it was definitely a challange trying to hit 250 and keep it. I kept 230 going for about 2 hours, but inevitably I had to mop/spray the meat and lost it. I saved the fire from going out a few times and ultimately after 5 hours, put both meats into the oven to finish it at ~250.

The Pulled pork turned out fairly awesome, and the brisket had a small smoke ring but it was definitely on the dry side.

I have the char-griller akorn. I did all the hacks to make sure there are no leaks and I'm fairly confident I've got most if not all. No smoke escaping at high heat. Also switched from charcoal briquettes to lump charcoal. Its definitely better but have not hit the magic spot yet.

I'm contemplating going out and getting one of those smoke computers but would prefer to nail it on my own first.
If you are having trouble keeping the fire lit, your air intake probably isn't open wide enough. The top vent controls your temp. Depending on your load, you shouldn't have any trouble keeping a fire going for 6-8 hours in that cooker. I just use the Minion Method.

I don't generally smoke with lump charcoal. It burns hotter and faster than briquettes and isn't as consistent. Those characteristics make it perfect for grilling, though. For briquettes, I use Kingsford Blue. There are brands out there but, if you use them, you're wrong as two left shoes.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
ElTaco wrote:What is your technique for keeping the charcoal lit and going at 250? So far I've been doing it for about a month. The Ribs are turning out great, but of course they are the easiest to cook. I did a pork shoulder and that turned out fairly darn well. Also tried a Brisket and while the result was fairly decent for a first try, it was definitely a challange trying to hit 250 and keep it. I kept 230 going for about 2 hours, but inevitably I had to mop/spray the meat and lost it. I saved the fire from going out a few times and ultimately after 5 hours, put both meats into the oven to finish it at ~250.

If you are having trouble keeping the fire lit, your air intake probably isn't open wide enough. The top vent controls your temp. Depending on your load, you shouldn't have any trouble keeping a fire going for 6-8 hours in that cooker. I just use the Minion Method.

I don't generally smoke with lump charcoal. It burns hotter and faster than briquettes and isn't as consistent. Those characteristics make it perfect for grilling, though. For briquettes, I use Kingsford Blue. There are brands out there but, if you use them, you're wrong as two left shoes.
Interesting. I was chatting with a veteran smoker just last week and he swears by lump charcoal. I believe he said that he could maintain constant low heat for 8-10 hours. He's using one of those pricy Green Eggs.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Kingsford just changed their briquettes...again.

They burn about an hour less now, all in the name of "green" cooking. :meds:

I disagree that the top vent controls temps. It should be left wide open except for extreme circumstances.The bottom intakes should be fully opened until you reach the desired temperature range, then almost totally closed to maintain the heat..
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Carson wrote:I disagree that the top vent controls temps. It should be left wide open except for extreme circumstances.The bottom intakes should be fully opened until you reach the desired temperature range, then almost totally closed to maintain the heat..
It's not really an opinion, though. The top vent controls the draft in the cooker. The only time I have the top vent open all the way is when I am trying to raise the temp. I'm not saying it's the only factor in temp maintenance but it is the primary control.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:Interesting. I was chatting with a veteran smoker just last week and he swears by lump charcoal. I believe he said that he could maintain constant low heat for 8-10 hours. He's using one of those pricy Green Eggs.
I'd like to know what brand he's using. There is a pretty wide variation in quality.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Interesting. I was chatting with a veteran smoker just last week and he swears by lump charcoal. I believe he said that he could maintain constant low heat for 8-10 hours. He's using one of those pricy Green Eggs.
I'd like to know what brand he's using. There is a pretty wide variation in quality.
Green Egg is a brand.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Green Egg is indeed a brand -- of smoker.

Didn't realize they also made lump charcoal.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Doh!

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:Green Egg is indeed a brand -- of smoker.

Didn't realize they also made lump charcoal.
Actually, they do. Or Royal Oak does under the Green Egg brand name. I'll give Royal Oak lump a shot if I happen to see any.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:Actually, they do. Or Royal Oak does under the Green Egg brand name.
I knew that.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

They're selling this at Costco for about $16.00 for a 40 lb bag.

Cheaper than the Kingsford briquettes and it seems to work just fine. My only complaint is that some of the chunks are very large.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:They're selling this at Costco for about $16.00 for a 40 lb bag.

Do you have to buy an entire pallet?

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Mikey wrote:They're selling this at Costco for about $16.00 for a 40 lb bag.
Do you have to buy an entire pallet?
Just the primary colors.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not a big mesquite guy here. Certain times for certain things, but I like the toned-down fruit woods -- cherry (the go-to, and readily available), apple, even some types of maple.

For El Taco and the neophytes -- nevereverevereverever use any sort of evergreen.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

But I like a nice turpentine glaze on my food.

My woods of choice:

Pecan for poultry
Apple for pork
Hickory for beef.

I bought a bag of orange wood as an experiment. Fail.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

It could just be my central Texas bias but pecan is far and away my preferred wood. You can use it on pretty much anything from poultry to lamb.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Carson wrote:
I bought a bag of orange wood as an experiment. Fail.
Noted.
mvscal wrote:It could just be my central Texas bias but pecan is far and away my preferred wood.
I think we've had this discussion before -- that's what makes BBQ so freaking wonderful -- the regional flair to it. I'd love to try some pecan. I doubt you guys get much of a crack at madrone (or "madrona" in the north part of Oregon), but the Southern Oregon folk (who actually take their Q quite seriously, but it's not a large enough population base that it's a "thing") swear by it. Not nearly so common up here in the Valley, but I've score some limbs -- pretty ultimate smoking wood.

BTW, I guess I'm doing a 2 month cross-country intensive work thing. I fully plan to savor the local Q wherever I go (which is all over the place). It's about the only thing my strictly West-Coast-ass is looking forward to about the deal (and some decent $$$, which will allow me to slack off through fall salmon season, the Best Time of the Year).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We talking about wood or lump charcoal here?

Different animals when it comes to smoking/grilling.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Zombie thread alert.

I've been messing around with smoking some salmon (yes Dins, I brine overnight then dry out before throwing on the heat) and cuts of cow and pig for a couple of years, 2. With pretty good results using first an old broken down "China-Grill" that I modified then a pair of small smokey joes.

Pretty much PIA all day affairs. Looking for feedback on brands/types under 5 bills? I was looking at some of the offset varieties but now am leaning to the Weber Smokey Mountain Brand, either 18 or 22" models.

Any feedback/experience is welcome.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

If you go with the Weber bullet (my choice), get the 18" unless you're cooking for an army. $299 - $329 at Lowe's.

The 22" is not as good with temperature control and has to be refueled often.

Big Green Egg is the Apple computer of smokers, an overpriced status symbol. There's other ceramics for less money.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Neighbor bought one these:

A little over $400. Purists will probably pooh-pooh it because it's a pellet smoker, but it's got a digital-controlled auger feed that allows you to set it and forget it. He's produced some awesome stuff with it and he's a complete novice.

atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

I pulled the trigger on the 18" Weber Bullet on Saturday, $299 at the Depot of Home. After searching around at different forums etc, this seemed to be the best bang for the buck. At the same pricepoint the offsets had alot of negative reviews ranging from excessive leaks, cheap/thin construction and after market mods required to make them work a little better.

I had looked at the Trager's previously and they looked pretty good, I just am not interested in the extra electrical "machinery" that makes it tick. I wanted something basic, and the Weber Bullet is about as basic as it gets.

Fired it up yesterday to try to get a feel for controlling the temperature, went ahead a threw on a cheap rack of ribs and some chicken quarters. They turned out all right but did suffer from the fact that I was playing with the lower vents and taking the top off about every 30 - 45 minutes to record the oven thermometer temps I put on the lower and upper racks and comparing to the dome gauge.

Looking to get a digital thermometer setup that I can monitor temps better. Another trial run or two and I think I will be ready for some kick ass BBQ come July 4th.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Carson wrote:If you go with the Weber bullet (my choice), get the 18" unless you're cooking for an army. $299 - $329 at Lowe's.

The 22" is not as good with temperature control and has to be refueled often.

Big Green Egg is the Apple computer of smokers, an overpriced status symbol. There's other ceramics for less money.
I looked at the ceramic smokers a while back. Everything I read suggested that none of them held up like the Apple. Also, apparently they have all kinds of Big Green Apple events where people come out and compete on brand new smokers. At the end of the competition, they sell off these almost new smokers at slightly above half price. I talked to someone who bought one.

Also, each distributor gets a new Apple each year and is free to sell off their used one at the end of each summer. Another reputed source for deeply discounted Green Apples. I have a bullet smoker but will probably buy the Traeger.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:Also, each distributor gets a new Apple each year and is free to sell off their used one at the end of each summer. Another reputed source for deeply discounted Green Apples.
I can vouch for this. My father got one gratis from a friend who is a distributor. Dude gets one a year and gives that year's model away to friends and family. It cooks well enough.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Apparently not only can you smoke or grill with them, you can crank the temperature high enough to make Neapolitan-style pizza.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:Purists will probably pooh-pooh it because it's a pellet smoker
I probably would pooh-pooh, if they weren't made down the road from me.