Best way to cook tilapia

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Best way to cook tilapia

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I bought some frozen tilapia fillets the other day and have been thinking of the best, i.e. healthiest ways to cook them. I have tried baking them with salt and pepper on top, but I thought it could have come out better. I have been sauteeing them in EVOO and some fish fry batter the last few nights, they have been really good but I am trying to be "healthy." Any suggestions?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Re: Best way to cook tilapia

Post by missjo »

My version of Fish Tacos
Ingredients
700g firm white fish fillets
12 corn Tortilla’s
Marinade
¼ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
1 1/2 limes juiced
1 fresh jalapeno pepper finely chopped
1 tablespoon Ancho chilli powder
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
¼ cup chopped fresh corriander leaves
¼ teaspoon salt
Mix together all ingredients for marinade coat fish fillets well & leave for 20 – 30 min
Using a hot pan or bbq grill cook for 4 min on one side flip then about a min for the other
Let rest for 5 min then cut into big chunks
Mexican coleslaw
¼ small cabbage finely shredded
1 extra large or 2 med carrots grated
1 large tomato quartered then thinly sliced
½ red onion finely sliced
½ cup chopped coriander
1 jalepeno chilli pepper seeded & finely sliced
1 large ripe avocado diced
Toss ingredients together in a large salad bowl & add dressing just before serving
Dressing
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
½ Lime juiced

To Serve
Warm Tortilla's on grill or in a dry pan
Put a large mound of salad on a tortilla & top with chunks of fish fold in half & nom nom nom!
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The nastiest meat/fish you can possibly ingest, and you're looking for "healthy"?

How very Screwey of you. Your consistency is unreal.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:I bought some frozen tilapia fillets the other day and have been thinking of the best, i.e. healthiest ways to cook them. I have tried baking them with salt and pepper on top, but I thought it could have come out better. I have been sauteeing them in EVOO and some fish fry batter the last few nights, they have been really good but I am trying to be "healthy." Any suggestions?
What Dinsdale said. I thought maybe you were cooking food for your cat.

You're trying to be "healthy"? Sounds like Screwball is FAT.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Let's just say I'm trying to not become FAT like shutyomouth. Or as bald as you.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Or as bald as you.
And yet another swing and a miss for the Mighty Casey of smack. I have nice full head of hair. Yes, 50 shades of grey.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Agree on the nastiness of tilapia.

First, on general principles, I won't touch any fish grown on a "farm."
Second, if I want fish I'll buy something fresh. I know Dins has a slightly different definition of "fresh" than I do but generally it means not frozen, and still looking and smelling like it was recently alive.

Usually prefer to throw fish on the grill with minimal seasoning (S&P and spray with EVOO) or in the case of a nice thick ahi steak searing it on a hot cast iron skillet.

For a smaller fillet of a white fish, and I did this a few days ago with some small mahi mahi fillets with good results, put a couple of tablespoons of EVOO in your skillet on medium heat and add a little butter if you like that flavor. Crush a couple of garlic cloves and throw them in until browned. Remove the garlic (or leave it in). Season the fish on one side with S&P. Put it in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, seasoning the other side after it's in the pan. Turn it over and cook it for a few minutes on the other side.

Optional additions, while cooking the second side, squeeze a little lemon juice over it. Sprinkle some paprika and/or minced fresh flat leaf parsley before removing from the pan.

If you want "healthy," skip the batter.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Thanks, Mikey. What fish would you suggest other than tilapia? I guess I chose it because it was something I had before and it was $8 for a bag of frozen fillets.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Look for the words "wild caught" on the package.

No, we're not talking about your work here.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Thanks, Gobbles McTubesteak. Now suffer frostbite of the penis.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Thanks, Mikey. What fish would you suggest other than tilapia? I guess I chose it because it was something I had before and it was $8 for a bag of frozen fillets.
Seriously, if you like the frozen tilapia there's not all that much wrong with using it.

For fresh fish it all depends on what's available, and that's probably different where you are than where I am. Try a few different types and see what you like. For sauteing a filet as described, these might do:

Mahi mahi
halibut
flounder
cod
sole
sea bass (not Chilean sea bass, which isn't sea bass)
grouper
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:First, on general principles, I won't touch any fish grown on a "farm."
With tilapia, it's not really a "farm" -- more like a settling pond at a wastewater plant.

Straight nasty.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:sea bass (not Chilean sea bass, which isn't sea bass)

Every region of the world has a different definition of sea bass.

Around here, "sea bass" is any of the Pacific Rockfish (about a buhzillion species, mostly just different in colors, and I know California has at least 20 different types). In stores here in Oregon, it's all sold as "red snapper," which is also different everywhere you go.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:sea bass (not Chilean sea bass, which isn't sea bass)

Every region of the world has a different definition of sea bass.

Around here, "sea bass" is any of the Pacific Rockfish (about a buhzillion species, mostly just different in colors, and I know California has at least 20 different types). In stores here in Oregon, it's all sold as "red snapper," which is also different everywhere you go.
Yep, there's also a couple of fish (cabrilla and corvina) commonly referred to around here as Mexican sea bass. Whatever they are they grill up pretty nicely.

"Chilean sea bass" is a slightly different story, though. The name was made up in the 70s, for what was otherwise known as a Patagonian tooth fish, by some fish wholesaler who wanted to create a US market.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Second, if I want fish I'll buy something fresh. I know Dins has a slightly different definition of "fresh" than I do but generally it means not frozen, and still looking and smelling like it was recently alive.
Not happnin here in Flyover Country.

A good and very quick, healthy to cook some fish is brush with oil, season it and broil it.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote: Not happnin here in Flyover Country.
Gotta be a letdown, if you're into eating fish.

But you probably get good beef. For some odd reason, the Flyovers think they've cornered the market, and don't realize that we have high-end beef farms here Out West, which live in better conditions :roll'em: .

I'm going steelhead fishing in the next few days-BTW. Finest fresh fish to eat there is.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:
mvscal wrote: Not happnin here in Flyover Country.
Gotta be a letdown, if you're into eating fish.
I am and it is, but it's a small price to pay for superior meats.

The beef is slightly yet noticeably better but the superstar is the pork. There isn't any comparison to be made. Hands down the best pork on planet earth. It is truly a revelation.

There is also a regional distributer of chicken in Nebraska that blows away anything I've had that wasn't hand raised on a family farm. The brand is called Smart Chicken. Totally organic and all that sustainable bullshit which I don't two fucks about unless, of course, it results in a superior product. I first bought it because it looked good. Great color and parts were prepared by somebody who both know what he was doing and gave a shit. Then I read up on them. Very interesting operation.

So, yeah, I miss fresh fish but I'll just muddle along with better everything else...except onions oddly enough.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:

So, yeah, I miss fresh fish but I'll just muddle along with better everything else...except onions oddly enough.
I'm real interested in trying the mid western artichokes, avocados (the Reeds especially), citrus, almonds, winter tomatoes, etc. etc.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The best of the best onions rarely leave the U&L. They kinda get hoarded.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:
mvscal wrote:

I'm real interested in trying the mid western artichokes, avocados (the Reeds especially), citrus, almonds, winter tomatoes, etc. etc.
I don't eat artichokes, so I really couldn't care less about them. Avocados are from California and Mexico and are fine. Citrus is weak. Winter tomatoes are the same hot house dreck that gets sold in California.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Mikey wrote:
mvscal wrote:

Surely, this was in jest?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ken, surely that was in jest?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

This is why fish is gross. You never know what you are going to get. Disgusting, really. Uncle in Nebraska has a big catfish fry. He cooks it outside over wood. People think its great. I ate the side dishes the one year I attended.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote:This is why fish is gross. You never know what you are going to get.

Some of us do.

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

You didn't know which type of fish would bite until it did. What kind of fish is that?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote:You didn't know which type of fish would bite until it did.

Yeah, I pretty much did. It was either going to be a Chinook salmon, or more likely exactly what it was, a coho salmon, which were present in much greater numbers.

Unlikely we'd catch anything else trolling the bay this time of year.

In the ocean ("outside"), there can be plenty of surprise catches, depending on distance from shore -- nurse sharks, blue sharks, various tuna. Depends if one is bottom-fishing or trolling.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

So it was some kind of salmon. I appreciate the honest response. You are just so dang cute I could wiggle your cheek.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

trev wrote:You are just so dang cute I could wiggle your cheek.
I'm not liking this.

I'm not liking this at all...

:|
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You'll really lose it when you learn which cheek she was talking about.