Fat Fucks Thread

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Fat Fucks Thread

Post by Mikey »

OK I know I’m opening myself up to a ton of ridicule here but….so be it. At least I’m not putting up any panty shots.

I hereby confess that I’m a fat fuckin’ slob. According to that bullshit BMI index, at 6 feet and 240 I’m almost 20 pounds into the obese range, at least I was two Sundays ago. The thing is that 25 years ago when I was working construction at my fighting weight of about 195 with almost no fat I was still almost 10 pounds “overweight”.

I’ve decided (once again) that it’s time to seriously try to take off some major lbs. I figure if I chart it here maybe I’ll be more inclined to stick to it. I want to see if I can get back down to around 200, and then I’ll see where I go from there. I’ll update this chart every few days or so.

I’m not gonna starve myself. And I'm not setting up any unrealistic goals. I’ve already taken off almost 9 lb in the past 11 days. Yeah, it’s prolly mostly water but it’s still weight and my belt is noticeably looser. I just gonna keep on doing this until I think I've had enough and then make an effort to maintain.

Here’s what I’m doing:

Cutting out sugar, starches (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.), most fruit and beer. Not completely though. I did have a beer last Friday and some bread, a banana and some and pie when we went camping over the weekend. I’ll allow myself a little leeway on the weekends.

Like I said I’m not starving myself. My regular breakfast is three scrambled eggs with crumbled bacon and salsa. Last night I had about a 10 oz ground sirloin patty and a huge Caesar salad and about ½ bottle of a deece red wine. Night before a 12 oz filet mignon, artichoke with mayo and more wine. My lunches are basically a large salad with tomatoes, cheese and some kind of protein like tuna or ham. I eat until I’m full and snack on a handful of almonds a few times a day. Oh yeah, about 4 tablespoons of psyllium fiber mixed with water with my dinner every night.

I’m gonna sticky this thread at least for a while. Any comments, ideas, advice, questions, discussion or just plain smack are welcome. Have at it. Or not. I don’t GARA, this is for me not you.

PS Fataholic, you might want to play along here. You're well on your way to a premature death by heart attack or suffocating in your own gut.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I'm 6' and 215 this time of year. I tend to "plump up" around the holidays. I will watch what I eat and exercise a little more come new years and be between 195-205 until the holidays again. I've done that every year for the last 8 years or so since getting out of college. So give me another month or so and I'll join ya in the trimming down.

I've quit chewing tobacco and am snacking all day now. SO I hit my 215 mark before turkey day which is unusual for me. I've also quit drinking. Going to be hard to watch my diet when I'm not chewing or drinking...chewing especially. I could eat half a meal a day as long as I could chew the rest of the day.

Oh well, good luck Mikey. I'll update my own progress later as I get into my workout and diet regimen. Back to chewing on pumpkin seeds...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

two fourty somethin' has been about as bad as I've ever gotten. I think when I hit that weight, I get sufficient exercise carrying all that flab around to get any worse.

Looks like you are in the same boat there slim.

Tell you what, chubby, I am currently right around where you are, possibly a pound or two more and am 6 ft as well. We could be fukkin twins, if you was a little better looking.

How's about a race to 210? I always do better at something if I'm competeing with somebody, especially communists.

200-210 is a good weight for me. Not thin, but not horribly obese either. Back in my single days in the navy, (insert tasteless village people insert here) I used to go anywhere from 195-205. I agree with you that that BMI thing is bullshit. Some 6 footers are thin at 190, others are fat.

BTW, I think the carb unloading approach is a good idea. I have used it to get below 220 a few years back. Trouble is, I absolutely love bread and taters.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Mikey,

What are you doing in the way of exercise?

My routine is cardio 6 times a week. I vary between High Intensity Cardio for 20-25 minutes and lower intensity cardio for 40-45 minutes. I also incorporate free weight training 4 times a week.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Smackaholic, you're on mofo. Don't forget though, if it comes down to the wire we commies are good a going on hunger strikes so I have the starvation thing going for me if I need it.

BSmack, since I started commuting 45 minutes each way in January (and working 9 hour days) it's been harder and harder to get regular workouts. In fact when the fires started here almost 4 weeks ago I stopped completely because of all the smoke. I started up again, though, on Tuesday and plan on sticking with it.

I can't stand going to public gyms, but I have an ergometer (rowing machine) at home that's really good for cardio and even some resistance training. When I'm in my groove (which will take a week or so to get back) I'll do 40 to 65 minutes of either distance rowing, interval training or resistance. That's equivalent to rowing 10,000 to 16,000 meters most days. I try to get in 4 or 5 days a week but sometimes it's only 3. We also have a 3 mile loop to walk in our neighborhood that's all up and down hills. I do this with the OL only on weekends now that it's dark after work. I wish I could put in as much time as you do but I'm an old working fuck with a long commute (I know, poor excuse).

We bought a Bowflex knockoff last year. I wanted weights but the OL won out. I've never used it (neither has she) but may try it out soon.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mikey wrote:BSmack, since I started commuting 45 minutes each way in January (and working 9 hour days) it's been harder and harder to get regular workouts. In fact when the fires started here almost 4 weeks ago I stopped completely because of all the smoke. I started up again, though, on Tuesday and plan on sticking with it.

I can't stand going to public gyms, but I have an ergometer (rowing machine) at home that's really good for cardio and even some resistance training. When I'm in my groove (which will take a week or so to get back) I'll do 40 to 65 minutes of either distance rowing, interval training or resistance. That's equivalent to rowing 10,000 to 16,000 meters most days. I try to get in 4 or 5 days a week but sometimes it's only 3. We also have a 3 mile loop to walk in our neighborhood that's all up and down hills. I do this with the OL only on weekends now that it's dark after work. I wish I could put in as much time as you do but I'm an old working fuck with a long commute (I know, poor excuse).

We bought a Bowflex knockoff last year. I wanted weights but the OL won out. I've never used it (neither has she) but may try it out soon.
I hate the public gym scene too. Which is why, after purchasing the new house, my first project was this...

It's open all day and all night whenever I feel like it. And after sinking 600 dollars into weights and benches (there's a hex dumbell set as well that you can't see in the pic) I'm extra motivated to hit the basement every night.

Oh, and if you do decide the Bowflex isn't for you, Craigslist is an absolute gold mine for deals on weight and fitness equipment for someone who is patient and will to do some of their own research on the subject before buying.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I, too, have the Bowflex knock off and the treadmill. I think dropping the beer and alcohol from my diet will help a lot with the calorie intake. I just need to make sure I don't make up for that with shitty snacks since I can't chew.

the home gym gets good use as it is in the storage room next to my son's play room in the basement. he plays trains while daddy trains. The next baby comes in 11 more days. Not sure how that is going to affect my exercise routine. I know how it is going to affect my sleep routine!
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

what a buncha nancy boys. today my work regimen is gonna consist of actual work.

There's a whole lotta oak tree laying dead in the woods behind me that I had to kill just to piss algore off. time to get out the chainsaw and wheel barrel and maul. My lot slopes prety good to the back and pushing wheelbarrels full of oak up the hill is a pretty good cardio/back/shoulders/legs routine.

Fukkk paying 3 bucks a gallon for heating oil. I just filled that damn tank and should be able to get through to april on it, I hope.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

smackaholic wrote:Fukkk paying 3 bucks a gallon for heating oil. I just filled that damn tank and should be able to get through to april on it, I hope.
How about...fuck the 19th century?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

To each his own. that 19th century heat is just as warm as 21st century. And I get some much needed excercise out of it.

Sure is nice living in the U&R where we generally have a say over when and where we burn our trees. Right mikey?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

smackaholic wrote:Sure is nice living in the U&R where we generally have a say over when and where we burn our trees.
Fuck off.

Sin,
(read my title)
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

that was aimed at mikey, hence the "right mikey" on the end of it.

so fuck off to you to bbq sauce boy!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dude. Pro Bonfire right next to an A&M avatar and you don't get it? Come on now...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

yeah, I see the pro bonfire thing. i would think that would mean you concur with the time honored tradition of men selectively burning shit for heat or in your case just to have something to watch while drinking. my point was in local watching shit burn is generally a bad thing as it tends to include their cribs in the festivities.

btw, are the aggies back to their monster bonfire or are the weenies still cockblocking it because of a little incident a few years back?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:what a buncha nancy boys. today my work regimen is gonna consist of actual work.

There's a whole lotta oak tree laying dead in the woods behind me that I had to kill just to piss algore off. time to get out the chainsaw and wheel barrel and maul. My lot slopes prety good to the back and pushing wheelbarrels full of oak up the hill is a pretty good cardio/back/shoulders/legs routine.

Fukkk paying 3 bucks a gallon for heating oil. I just filled that damn tank and should be able to get through to april on it, I hope.
Chainsaw?

Now, who's the nancy boy here?

Good thing this Nancy boy isn't still with us.
I bet ol' Uncle Ronnie never used a fuckin' chainsaw.
He'd be embarassed at what's become of the so-called macho American male.

BTW, I've got two fireplaces in my crib and use them both regularly, on the 10 or so days when it gets below 60 here.

Actually we had about 4 straight weeks in the 20s last winter.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Fat Fucks Thread

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Cutting out sugar, starches (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.), most fruit and beer.
I will never understand this.

Wanna lose weight?

Reduce the fat intake.

When I had to limit fats for health reasons, I set a guideline of no more than 20 grams total per day(tried to keep it under 15), and tried to get the saturated fats near zero.

And I wasn't fat to start with. But what little body fat I had began melting away, almost instantly.

Reducing fat intake will result in weight loss/body fat reduction. That ain't my opinion -- that's a fact. Screw all of the other stupid bullshit -- limit the fat. That'a all anyone needs to do.

BTW-haven't fired up the furnace in a few years. A high effeciency fireplace insert combined with the tree-growing capital of the world = free heat. Hell, a friend's 10 acres provides more firewood just from windfall that several houses can burn every year.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Believe it or not, Dins, everybody is different.

Fat has about twice the calories per gram as carbs do, but how many grams of carbs vs. fat does a baked potato, for example, contain?

As well, something you (sort of) noted in your post, there are bad fats and there are good fats. Your body needs a certain amount of fat intake to function. And carbs, especially processed ones like sugar and bleached flour, are more readily converted to body fat.

For me, the fastest way to lose weight is to axe the carbs. Not completely, but I don't need a pile of rice, pasta or potatoes with every dinner, even though I would like to. Same thing with high sugar (and high fat) desserts.

You might benefit from reading this book...

http://www.regnery.com/lifeline/010309_lowfatlies.html

The best diet for maintaining health is a balanced diet, with moderate amounts of each.

I have a condition that's called hyperlipidemia, caused by elevated levels of triglycerides. TRiglycerides are part of the cholesterol equation and, for me, it seems to almost directly depend on carb intake. I can control it with drugs, or I can control it with diet, or both. I'm thinking it's about time to try and get off the drugs.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Mikey, you've tried this low carb thing before.

Try 1000-1200 calories and

10-15 grams of fat

per day.

That's for a female, you could allow your male self a little more.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:
smackaholic wrote:ripping the eisenhower era laminate off the kitchen counter for some new 1 ft square tiles.
Uhm...

You're allowed to lay the backer over the old shit.

Not nearly as good excercise, though.
You are correct, dins. You can put backer or plywood down on intact laminate. Unfortunately, around the sink fourty something years of moisture making it's way into places has caused a bit of delamination. Sure made scraping that section up easy though. I might even end up ripping out a section of plywood around the sink.

Sure wish I had a real heat gun, though. Tried my mapp gas torch first and things got a bit smokey, so I went to the OL's hair dryer. That and a scraper makes for some slow going. Well, got a decent forearm workout. Not much cardio, though, I'm afraid.

The worst part is I was working arms length from the fridge where I could hear that fukking carton of nog calling my name.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

ORGANICS!!

me and the OL recently went about 90% organic (still looking for a grocer that carries grass fed beef and free roam chicken meat) but living in shitville oklahoma...the options are EXTREMELY small. I was doing some reading on all the pure shit they put into our food. Growth hormones in the milk..hormones and pesticides in the veggies..and recently i just watched a special on 60minutes i think it was..on how some of the ground beef we eat is over TWO YEARS OLD. They inject it with carbon monoxide to keep it fresh. Jesus. I've also totally gotten rid of sugars and soda. I've also started drinking 1.5 gallons of water a day (sounds like alot but if you drink 3-4 bottled waters in the morning..and then 3-4 after noon, it really isnt that bad) as well as Green Tea , the honey/limon green tea..the regular tastes like shit. Of course, pissing every 20 minutes, i still have to get used to.

It's been 3 weeks since i started this diet and i've lost almost 15 lbs. With very minimal excersise.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Moby Dick wrote:ORGANICS!!

me and the OL recently went about 90% organic (still looking for a grocer that carries grass fed beef and free roam chicken meat) but living in shitville oklahoma...the options are EXTREMELY small. I was doing some reading on all the pure shit they put into our food. Growth hormones in the milk..hormones and pesticides in the veggies..and recently i just watched a special on 60minutes i think it was..on how some of the ground beef we eat is over TWO YEARS OLD. They inject it with carbon monoxide to keep it fresh. Jesus. I've also totally gotten rid of sugars and soda. I've also started drinking 1.5 gallons of water a day (sounds like alot but if you drink 3-4 bottled waters in the morning..and then 3-4 after noon, it really isnt that bad) as well as Green Tea , the honey/limon green tea..the regular tastes like shit. Of course, pissing every 20 minutes, i still have to get used to.

It's been 3 weeks since i started this diet and i've lost almost 15 lbs. With very minimal excersise.
drinking lots of water alone is good for you and likely to cause you to shed a few pounds, the whole organic thing is mostly just a scam to seperate dumb people from more of their cash.

As for not being able to find free range chicken in shitville okie, there is a reason you can't find it in the stores, it is because the local necks aren't dumb enough to pay for something they have running around their trailers. Get your own fukking chickens. I have a buddy that has had chickens his whole life. He says they are by far the best pets ever. They spend every waking moment running around eating insects. You get walking insecticide that provides eggs and a nice chicken dinner. What's not to like about that?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:You get walking insecticide that provides eggs and a nice chicken dinner. What's not to like about that?

It's Oklahoma -- "what's not to like" is trying to find the knob to adjust the roosters for daylight savings time.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I was hoping for a good deep-fried Twinkie recipe. This thread did NOT deliver.

--KCTRL-KPaul
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I figure I'd better update the chart today before I start eating. I have a feeling I won't be this low again for a few days.

Admittedly, not much progress in the past week, but at least I'm still moving in the right direction.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

the old 230 lb wall, huh? i think mine is at about 225. i predict you'll see 240 on christmas day about half away through the second glass of nog.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Where's your faith?

(I'm thinking you may be right...)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mikey wrote:I figure I'd better update the chart today before I start eating. I have a feeling I won't be this low again for a few days.

Admittedly, not much progress in the past week, but at least I'm still moving in the right direction.

If you did have as much progress in week 2 as you did in week 1 you would be the only person in the history of dieting to have that result. In fact, going forward, if you lose more than 3 lbs in a week, I would think that would be an extreme aberration. And, as you get closer to your body's caloric equilibrium, it will get damn near impossible to lose weight until you either up the calorie burning or lower the intake of calories.

Dieting sucks, but it beats the alternative

Keep at it Mike.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, the first 10 lbs or so is easy because it's mostly water. Everybody hits a wall at that point and might even gain a couple back. A slow gradual loss after that is the only way to sustain it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

how's the shedding coming alone, slim? judging by the lack of news, i assume you are doing as well as i am, which means not too good.

still lingering here in the mid thirties? how 'boutchou?

maybe you should keep that extra coat till after the rainy seasaon. being a little more buoyant can't hurt when you are being swept away by a big mud puddle.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:how's the shedding coming alone, slim? judging by the lack of news, i assume you are doing as well as i am, which means not too good.

still lingering here in the mid thirties? how 'boutchou?

maybe you should keep that extra coat till after the rainy seasaon. being a little more buoyant can't hurt when you are being swept away by a big mud puddle.
:oops:

Bingo.

I'm thinking about picking up a new Glock and doing some regular target practice at the local range to shed a few extra pounds. I hear it's really good exercise.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

good exercise if you're the dude getting shot at.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If you shoot rifle, either at 100, 200, or 300 yards, and don't use the freaking car to go check your targets, it at least gets you out walking around.

Although the huge gun range down the road doesn't have roads down the 100 yard range, so I guess that's the winner.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I started my diet/exercise routine already instead of waiting for the new year. That 215 I posted last month is 218 now. That's way over the limit I like to set for myself. My goal is to get down to 195....and fucking keep it there. I'm just treadmilling it now and watching the fat intake. I've never really done well with low fat dieting. I did the low carb thing a few times always with good results, but I end up gaining the 15 back I lost.

Anyhow, with a newborn and a 2 year old running round, exercise will be tough to fit in. The Bowflex knock off is now covered and surrounded with Christmas presents in the basement storage room. The weight lifting will not commence until after X-mas. I have not made it down to 195 in at least 5 years. I am going to Hawaii again in May, and I plan on being fit for that.

Wish me luck fellas. On Day 3 right now...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Just scored another deal on Craigslist. A practically brand new Fitness Quest Edge 491 recumbent bike. The pounding of 6 days of cardio on a treadmill was getting to be too much. So rather than give up, I adapted.

Did my first cardio workout on the new bike last night. Weight training is so much more effective when you can get the heart pumping.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

looks pretty nice b. what'd it cost ya?

i have an upright type bike that is similar. i'd like to a recumbent one like that. looks like it'd be better for watching tv. and i hear you about the pounding. i had to give up running or face a new set of knees down the road. riding the bike is like fukking medicine to my knees. it actually makes them feel better than if i sit on my ass all day.

now figure out a way to hook a gennie up to it to lessen that damn carbon footprint. algore would be proud. maybe you can get him to bankroll it with some carbon credit dough.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:looks pretty nice b. what'd it cost ya?
200 bucks from some housewife in Victor, NY who's hubby can't even sit up straight after back surgery. You can get one online for 270 through Fitness Quest with free shipping. I guess they're ramping up for the next production line since it used to retail for 350-450. Here's a link.

http://www.fitnessquest.com/scripts/cgi ... tem=1-E491

And here's some reviews.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Fitness ... e_E49150EB
i have an upright type bike that is similar. i'd like to a recumbent one like that. looks like it'd be better for watching tv. and i hear you about the pounding. i had to give up running or face a new set of knees down the road. riding the bike is like fukking medicine to my knees. it actually makes them feel better than if i sit on my ass all day.
With me it is my left foot. Too many days in a row on the treadmill and it just starts aching like hell. Now I can primarily do my cardio on the bike with a treadmill session every once in a while for a change of pace.
now figure out a way to hook a gennie up to it to lessen that damn carbon footprint. algore would be proud. maybe you can get him to bankroll it with some carbon credit dough.
Were I more mechanically inclined, I'd look into it. You would think health clubs would have done something similar years ago.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

the reason you haven't seen it is that, quite frankly, humans pretty much suck ass at generating power. Check out some web sites of bikes hooked up to genies. You gotta peddle your fukking ass off just to light a single bulb. Saw one of some dude powering a tv and he had to go full power to do it. Lance armstrong might be able to watch tv for an hour by generating his own trons, hell, he powers the whole building at espn, but, I doubt the average shmuck could do it for long.

That being said, I suspect that some marketing genius will realize he can get a bunch of dumb hippies to buy "green" exercise bikes and you will see them soon enough. All you'd need is a deep cycle 12 volt battery and a cheapo inverter, maybe 300 watts. It would allow them to peddle for an hour or two, then surf on their lap top and brag that they are doing it on renewable energy.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

*slowly backs away from this thread*
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I believe if you're really freaking tearing it up and going for it, balls-to-the-wall, you can burn as much as 1500 calories in an hour, right? Something like that?

That would translate to being able to run about a 1.5 watt christmas light bulb(the little tiny ones), accounting for mechanical loss in the generation process.

Pedal away, fat fucks.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

In addition to BMI, what is your waist circumference? Over 40"? Other risk factors?

Check it.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.