World Music

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

World Music

Post by Mikey »

Any of you losers into what they call "World Music'?

The term World Music is generally used to describe music that combines musical styles from multiple different cultures, often including "western" musicians with other musicians from Africa, East Asia, India, etc. I often find it fascinating, and there are several musicians I follow who create some really interesting stuff.

Omar Sosa is a Cuban jazz pianist, who has made probably 30 albums over the past 30 years or so. Not really well known but hugely creative. He has collaborated with musicians from all over the world on a very diverse set of recordings. On that I've been listening to lately is called Transparent Water. Some of the most relaxing sounds I've ever heard, but still hugely engrossing.

The two primary musicians are Sosa on piano and Seckou Keita, a Senegalese Kora player. But there are others as well. From an NPR review of the album:
https://www.npr.org/2017/02/16/51524735 ... rent-water
The music instantaneously transports listeners from the very first notes. But in addition to journeys within, there are real world travels across the globe on this album. The cast includes: Venezuelan percussionist Gustavo Ovalles; Silk Road member and Chinese sheng master Wu Tong; and Mieko Miyazaki on the Japanese koto. What could have been a multi-culti mess is instead a powerfully elegant statement of joy over shared musical discovery.
If you don't know what a kora is, here's a clip of Sosa and Keita (without most of the rest of the group except for percussionist Gustavo Ovalles) playing one of the songs from the album:

Mikey

Re: World Music

Post by Mikey »

I recently saw this show when it came to San Diego.

Bela Fleck is a banjo player (probably GOAT by consensus). He started out playing Bluegrass, the branched out into jazz, classical and many combinations of World Music.

Edgar Meyer is the bass player. He's been doing things with Bela Fleck (and others) for decades.

Zakir Hussain is an Indian tabla player who has been around for years. He's toured and recorded with Ravi Shankar, John McLaughlin, Mickey Hart among others, including most of the leading lights of Hindustani classical music. He's also played on several movie soundtracks, including Apocalypse Now.

Rakesh Churasia plays a bansuri, or classical Indian flute. It's incredible the sounds that can come out of a piece of bamboo with holes in it.

This performance was just amazing. Totally transfixing. There aren't too many good videos of this group out there, but here's an OK one.

Here's one that's just Zakir Hussain and Rakesh Churasia. If you have 30 or 60 minutes to kill, put this on the TV and space out.

Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

8) 8)

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

8) 8) 8)
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

8) 8) 8) 8)

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

OK, I’ll play along.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mikey