Solicitation for Mother Africa

The best of the best
M Club
el capitán

Solicitation for Mother Africa

Post by M Club »

I used my piddly Peace Corps wage to put a student of mine through senior secondary school [grades 11 & 12] and he did well enough to get into college. That's pretty good considering only 45% of students even pass grade 10 and are allowed into SSS, and a good deal of those kids aren't from the village. Plus, he's an AIDS orphan, so he had quite a few obstacles to overcome just to get to this point. I received an email from him last week from out of the blue:
How are you Mr M Club?

How are you doing? Its long time past without contact. I am done with my grade 12 and I am enrolling at tertiary institution [ at POLYTECHNIC OF NAMIBIA]. I am doing engineering course for five years. Will you come to Namibia again? I didn't get a grant to pay my tuition fees and other study related fees, therefore I may not be allowed to write the exams on June 2008.Some one gave me 1000 dollars for registration only and he promised me he will try if he can get a loan from banks.

I could not contact you due to the fact that I did not have your e-mail address.I don't have much to say sir.I just greet you and give my cellphone number 0813776726. Thats my e-mail address where this message came from.

Good bye Mr M CLUB.

Fillemon Petrus,NAMIBIA.
I wrote back:
Petrus,

Walapo nawa? It's great to hear from you. I'm glad
you have email so I can ask how you're doing rather
than ask someone to ask someone to ask someone who
might know. It's hard to get news of Namibia.

Sorry about your financial situation. Could you
describe it more fully? Like, how much money do you
need? Who's going to get a loan for you and under
what conditions? I don't know how I can help but I
can try. I haven't looked for a teaching job so I've
only been working enough to pay my bills and afford a
move to the other side of the country from where I'd
been living. I can probably help a little, at least.

Anyhow, feel free to write any time. I check my email
often and will write back as soon as I get your
messages.

How is Windhoek? A bit different
than the village, eh.

Kalapo nawa, oshiwete nale,
M Club
And his last email:
How are Mr M Club? How is United States Of America?
Sorry for late reply. Almost everything is fine here in Namibia.The person who promised me a loan is just one guy in Windhoek called Nangolo Malima. He is not my relative but he just know me because he was my neighbour at the Northern Namibia.He said he will only find a loan from his bank, but he is not the one to pay for it. He will only pay for surety (interests) and the loan itself I will pay it for myself after my graduation. Although he promised so, till now there is no evidence that he will do that. I asked him one day about it and he said I should stop asking him about that story, meaning he is not interested in this issue. From there I made an appeal to the government to assist me. The government gave me a loan but it is not sufficient for the whole year. Government loan will only pay N$ 8600.00 for this year while the total amount that I must pay is N$ 14655.00 . So, I need N$ 6 055.00. All students who applied for the government loan, those who are doing engineering first year at Polytechnic, were just given N$ 8 600.00.The rest of amount needed, apparently , we must pay them on own. If I pass this year, next year government will give me full amount loan.

May be I should give you my bank account details, then you try to help me through it, if possible.

Just tell me sir if it is possible then I will give you all my student saving account details.

Have a nice, wonderful day Mr M Club!

Petrus.
The ~6000 rand he asked for is about US$800. I don't really have that sort of dosh lying around, so I'm using the internet to panhandle on his behalf. I'll see what I can get and cover the rest, so if anyone can help out, please let me know. $10 or $20 adds up really quickly and will get him to a point where he'll be able to finance his education himself, assuming he can get assistance for this first year.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Re: Solicitation for Mother Africa

Post by peter dragon »

Mclub, you can count on the Dragon family to donate the first $20.

lets get this done people.

e
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'm in for 20$, if i'm not paying MClub beer money. :?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

I am in for $20 or so. I'll forward this on to some friends.
Those who stay will be champions.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

I sent this to some friends also asking for help...this was one response:
It’s funny that my spam filter picked out your email… But I could probably give you a few bucks, as long I get my share when the prince’s treasure gets released.
Those who stay will be champions.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Times are tight these days but fuggit a twenty spot will do this young man far more than it will me.

I'm in.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

BlindRef wrote:I sent this to some friends also asking for help...this was one response:
It’s funny that my spam filter picked out your email… But I could probably give you a few bucks, as long I get my share when the prince’s treasure gets released.

Heh heh. Anyway, I'd be happy to help with a contribution. Just let us know how you'd like to go about it.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I might be in for a contribution. As long as Petrus agrees to sign up here and post a photo of his fat old lady so we can make fun of him.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Thanks for your all of your offers. I really, really appreciate it and can't fully express why. It basically has to caring about your students. I know there are many ways to engineer social mobility [especially in Africa: lead a coup], but by and by the best way to do so is through education. But it's too often an empty promise to say do good in school and things will be ok. My friend sent this email today:
A few months ago, I talked to one of my grade 12s (from last year) and she told me that she had been accepted to UNam but had no money to register or pay so just didn't. There was a woman who was supposed to help her; I don't know if it was financially or more with logistics but then seemed to leave her hanging. I asked her about loans, etc. and she had no idea how to go about any of it (that's awesome that your learner went ahead and found out that info) At that point, it was too late for her register and so now, she sits. Well, she is studying maths to take the grade 12 exam again and hopes to get a job (uhh...) and then plans to start next year (uhh...)
I'm really glad Petrus had the initiative to get contact me, but at the same time and like I said before, I don't just have that dosh lying around, so I'm really moved that you guys [and others] have stepped up to help. Otherwise, he'd probably have to return to the bush wondering why he even bothered with all that hard work.

Also, just to further illustrate his potential, this was published in last Friday's Namibian. Money quotes:
Every year about 65 000 new children start school.

Of these 12 000 drop out before the end of primary school.

By the beginning of grade 10, another 7 000 have been lost.

So 30% of all learners don't even complete even basic education.

Then, as we know, another 17 000 don't enter grade 11.

We are now down to 28 000 from the 65 000.

Not many drop out of senior secondary school.

At the end of grade 12 the proportion of these getting good grades is between 10 and 20%; maybe 4000 or so out of the original 65 000, well under 10%.
Again, most of those students getting good grades are from the capital city or other town centers, not the bush. And grades are determined externally by the Ministry of Education, so his grades are good relative to everyone. It's not like Detroit where I'd give a kid a B just because he didn't bring his knife to school.
Goober McTuber wrote:As long as Petrus agrees to sign up here and post a photo of his fat old lady so we can make fun of him.
All the more reason to finance this kid's education. Dood's not pretty, so his only hope for a fatty is to have a job.

He's the one pulling the hat off the other's head... oh fuck it, I'll post a head shot:

As far as donating, I talked to 88 about setting up a PayPal thingy, so hopefully that's operable within a couple days. I think that means you, PSU, gonna work some skillz..
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

I am down, but I am with PSU on the safety thing, are money orders out of the question?
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I'm in for $15.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

M Club wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:As long as Petrus agrees to sign up here and post a photo of his fat old lady so we can make fun of him.
All the more reason to finance this kid's education. Dood's not pretty, so his only hope for a fatty is to have a job.

... oh fuck it, I'll post a head shot:

"head shot"? :swoon:

Sincerely,

Stanley Q. Pickle

P.S. I'm just fucking around. Set it up, I'll contribute. Even to a Michigan Man.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

88 set up a page where you can make a donation by PayPal here:

http://www.cfbpickem.com/petrus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit by 88
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Isn't Petrus on Mag7 Hitmen?

I'll send him some BBQ sauce...and a few bucks.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

I am in. Donation was pretty easy. Good luck to Petrus from Texas.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

thanks. screen shot from the paypal account:

that obviously doesn't include my hundy since it's stupid to launder money from my account through paypal just so they can take $3 from me.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Good luck Petrus.

Where can I pick up my receipt for tax purposes? :mrgreen:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I was just kidding, hence the smiley. No need to claim that.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Go get em Petrus.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'll pony up this evening. I sent the link out to some folks.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

I'm in but I want a bi-annual picture of a little kid in Africa eating a rice cake while looking shyly at the camera. It doesn't need to be Petrus, just something I can hang on my fridge.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sky wrote:I'm in but I want a bi-annual picture of a little kid in Africa eating a rice cake while looking shyly at the camera. It doesn't need to be Petrus, just something I can hang on my fridge.
Will this work for you?

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Where's the rice cake?
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

mvscal wrote:Fuck you and "Mother Africa." Get a real job, you fucking clown. Then you could afford to put the whole goddamn village through college...on your own dime.

Maybe they'd even build a mud and straw statue of you in the village square.

Actaully I tend to think that things like this would save the US $$$ in the long run as far as debt forgiving and the likes... One educated person for each village could make a huge difference. Noble Cause.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Chief in for $20. Petrus will emerge as a Nole fan ;)
Nolesy
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nolesy »

Just opened this thread (4-25) I'm in for 30 and challenge you tight fisted bastards to up your twenty yo thirty. Hell, most of you drink more than that in a week.

How do I pay this thing. Frisco, looking to you for a lil help if it takes some computer game.
Fuck the ACLU. It will always be Merry Christmas to me.

Barrack Obama is lib speak for Jimmy Carter
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Nolesy wrote:Just opened this thread (4-25) I'm in for 30 and challenge you tight fisted bastards to up your twenty yo thirty. Hell, most of you drink more than that in a week.

How do I pay this thing. Frisco, looking to you for a lil help if it takes some computer game.
Or some reading help.

http://www.cfbpickem.com/petrus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nolesy
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nolesy »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Nolesy wrote:Just opened this thread (4-25) I'm in for 30 and challenge you tight fisted bastards to up your twenty yo thirty. Hell, most of you drink more than that in a week.

Or some reading help.

So how much are you in for ass hat? If you had any familiarity of how we roll you would have recognized the lack of computer skills for the joke it was intended.
Fuck the ACLU. It will always be Merry Christmas to me.

Barrack Obama is lib speak for Jimmy Carter
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Nolesy wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Or some reading help.

So how much are you in for ass hat? If you had any familiarity of how we roll you would have recognized the lack of computer skills for the joke it was intended.

Thanks for returning to emphasize your lack of reading skills, Cletus.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

can i send a check or money order to someone (MClub?), i don't feel like opening a new paypal account just for this. the card i used to use for paypal i paid off and canceled and i'm trying to keep my digits off the net as much as possible.

yeah, yeah...I know. i'm not a big fan of paypal. i had a problem with them once through ebay and it was damn near impossible to have any recourse. i don't feel the need to increase my interaction with them as a semi-matter of principle, to be honest.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

thanks MClub. check is in the mail.

can't you just take my check and deposit it in your account....and then (you) post the same amount through paypal thereby bypassing the "banking system" transference?
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

mvscal made another appearance in the college football forum? What, did Texas win another national championship?
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Okay I am right one with King Crimson, personal check or money oder, and the Lennon lyrics in his sig.

Just PM me me Mclub and I am in, I have had enough given to me in my life that I can't help but give back.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Arsene Wenger has asked if this kid knows how to play footy(soccer).

he needs a Central Defender
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

so how close are we?

never mind

Total $643.79
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i've received about $700 so far and am still waiting on a few people. nearly everyone from the board who said "in" has been "in." a few of my real-life friends are, like me, malingerers. if i end up with more than i need i'm going to send some back to those who paid much more than i asked for.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

thats cool. im just glad to help and wanted to know if we were close and needed a couple extra to push us over the edge i was make sure we make it.

oh and id send all we collect. tell him to buy some condoms from the trolls or something.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

condoms? like i said, he needs that job to score some loving b/c his looks aren't doing it. that's probably why he was disposed to actually study while i had him in school. plus, condoms tend to be free in namibia; you just have to go to a health center and grab a fistful from the basket at reception. they're also supposed to be available at school. i kept a box of them on my desk.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Good luck to Petrus...and props to M Club for helping the kid out.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

I tried to use paypal to help out. Had all kinds of problems with it. I knew better.

I don't know if the payment went through or not.

I think it did not because I did not get a conformation via email.