It's chilli season.

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Garlic press?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Throw that thing out. It's a fucking garlic killer.

Chop that shit up fresh. Don't buy it in a jar and don't masacre it through a press.

And look into some Masa for that recipe. Thickens a good chili up nicely.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

It's not chili without the masa.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

Masa?

I have a killer chili recipe- but it always comes out a little thin... I have tried some things to thicken it- but it kills the taste. What is masa?
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Masa is corn flour. Same stuff they use to make corn tortillas. It works as a good thickening agent in chili. You could disolve a few tablespoons of Cornstach in some water and stri in if you don't have any Masa, but it's just not the same. Cornstarch has no flavor. Masa adds a slight variance in flavor.

Garlic presses kill garlic because they sqeeze the oil out.

Just take a knife sideways and flatten the garlic slightly. They skin will peel off, and toss the rest in. Much quicker than a press anyways.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I detest garlic presses also. I crush the bulb with a knife, and then use the tines of a fork to mash the cloves.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Masa adds a very distinctive corn flavor besides its thickening properties. Taste your chili, then make a masa paste and stir it in and retaste. You'll go, "ahhhh, that's what's been missing all this time".

This thread has inspired me. I'm going to make a batch, probably this weekend, and then I'll post my recipe. I've posted it several times dating back to SCIII but I can't seem to find where I wrote it up. I'll have to do it again and save it this time.

BTW, Mikey's Gourmet Chili normally includes chunks of stewing beef and pork and takes several hours to cook. A lot of work but worth it. I usually make a large amount and freeze the leftovers in ziplock bags for quick meals later on.
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

How much masa do you use?

We have a basic chili recipe that we use but for the last six months I've been looking for a new one. I've tried some Jail House chili's but Mrs Luth just doesn't like it spicy.

I'll wait for Mikey's chili recipe...

Rip City
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

1 to 2 tablespoons for a fairly large pot. You should disolve in water first to make a paste to add to the Chili.