T1B Automated NFL Picks Game

Forum for NFL Picks games

Moderators: Shoalzie, ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

T1B Automated NFL Picks Game

Post by Joe in PB »

I like the old format better.

I can't even tell who won last week, or see the results of the previous 3 weeks. Instead of competing against fellow board members the game feels like I'm competing Vs the computer.

I liked how Dave or Kutter always had everyone's score for the week and the yearly total.

This game feels genric, has no personality, and if I can't tell how I'm doing compared to others, why bother?

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way......
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

^^^^

CONCUR
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

IN
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

We should prolly have a discussion about this.

Thanks Joe, Mike and Tart. I thought is was only me, and seeing that I bitch about most everything, I had not bitched about this. :lol: ......... Until now. :x

Whatever that link is, it SUCKS. Its a pain in the ass, and a big waste of time. If no one wants to do the work, Yahoo and many other sites do a damn fine job of doing the work for you. Yet, for whatever reason, most people will NOT participate, and insist upon sticking with some antiquidated system, or in this case, something that just does not fit. Kinda like wearing some ones elses pants.! :shock:

Shoalzie, move the pick'em back to this forum. If need help with the math, lemme know.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

you'd figure that you could log in on Tuesday and see the previous week's Results....but, instead...you get week 4... 0 %

thought that I was not clicking the correct buttons...[retract]fvck me running...[/retract]

what UP?
January 1, 2010....we're having DUCK for Dinner...
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=9078 Is there a missing persons out on Shoalzie ? :?
Go Bucs, Gators
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

The summary tab will let you know who won the week, but I did like seeing how the whole field did. Maybe Shoalzie needs a raise.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sorry about not getting the standings up for everyone recently. I've been moving into my first house and I won't have internet access until next Tuesday. I've been very limited to what I'm able to do online when I'm at work. By next weekend I'd like to get all caught up with things. I'm glad this game is automated so I don't have to set stuff up. I just need to revamp my spreadsheet to keep track of the standings. I've been lagging behind in TNC on the MLB forums as well. My move has gotten in the way of a lot of things so don't feel I haven't forgot about this contest. I also have the new hockey season coming up...I run that contest also. Just keep making your picks online and I'll catch up when I have my situation at home squared away. I'm sure anyone who has moved into a new house can atest to having a lot of inconviences for them early on. I'm also a working man...no longer am I a college kid who had one or two classes a day, worked overnights and had plenty of free time during the day. My free time now is allocated to after work and on weekends. I don't know how much longer I can run these games but as long as you guys are satisifed with what I do, I'll keep doing it.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Piling on damnit
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Piling On!.... Moving sucks for sure...enjoy the new view Sholz.....
Go Bucs, Gators
DELSDAD
Elwood

Post by DELSDAD »

At least we know your alive, Shoalzie. Good luck w/ the new digs.
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

I must say I don't like the divisions either, it's like a gay Nascar playoff system, a couple of years ago when Orc ran away with it, would it have been fair to have him play in a playoff?

Fucking stupid if you ask me
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

jackass007 wrote:I must say I don't like the divisions either, it's like a gay Nascar playoff system, a couple of years ago when Orc ran away with it, would it have been fair to have him play in a playoff?

If you have a better idea, then run your own damn game. I've tried to come up with a way to spice up a plain-wrap game. orcinus was kind enough to let me help him out with the game. I appreciate what he's done with the site and allowing all of your picks to be much easier to keep track. I've ran a similar game for a couple years on TOT...not many complaints from the posters. If you don't like it, don't play...
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

YEAH, BITCH! DON'T PLAY!

P.S. You're in my division, right?
Life's Pretty Straight Without Jimmy Medalions.
Big Daddy
Elwood

Post by Big Daddy »

Shoalzie wrote:
jackass007 wrote:I must say I don't like the divisions either, it's like a gay Nascar playoff system, a couple of years ago when Orc ran away with it, would it have been fair to have him play in a playoff?

If you don't like it, don't play...
I agree that it's not all that fun running it like this but.........

again,
"If you don't like it, don't play..."

Or if you don't like it, run it yourself.

JMHO

Time to get a new spa Jackass, yours is dun.
Originally Posted by GDub:

"The Skins might as well change their colors to pink and aqua marine, move the stadium to Dupont Circle, and change the logo to a fucking rainbow, because they're playing like a bunch of fags right now."

d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

I think it's a good idea using the automated system, makes tallying up easier, it's just not a good program. It should be set up so that it's similar to the yahoo pickem game.

While I don't mind this automated style, it does kinda take away what we've had in past seasons and makes things a bit more "personable" around here.
Don't blame me, I voted for Trump
kcdave wrote:kicked my own ass many times
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

Jesus H Christ

I guess you showed me!

I guess adding to the "We should prolly have a discussion about this" was wrong..

Oh well, if somebody runs away with it again, I WILL proclaim him champion, for whatever that is worth. (about the same if he wins the gay playoff format)
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

For what it's worth, I'm basically on board with jackass' line of thinking.

I don't care for the division format.

We already have a confidence game which is a 'variation' on a typical straight picks format.

I say just post the weekly winners in a straight top-to-bottom format, and also keep track of the yearly standings in a simple top-to-bottom format.

If that's not the majority forum sentiment (or the sentiment of whomever the buck stops with) then I have no problem continuing to participate in the game with a 'division' format.

I'm just offering MY take.

I appreciate Shoalzie running the game, and I can appreciate real life circumstances that have kept him from updating the standings.

I trust he'll get it up to date as soon as he is able to.

I like the automated format for making the picks, as it is WAY easy to do.

I don't care for looking at the automated dealie when looking for results, however.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Any friggin chance we can just ALL agree to take the contests .... ALL OF THEM .... pickem, confidence, and survivor to YAHOO next year? YAHOO does offer all of them ya know!

Yahoo allows up to 50 people to play in each contest, and I have never seen a smack board contest with more than 50 peeps. IF that would ever happen, Im sure we could form another league, and use this forum to post compiled scores.

The only reason this has not already happened is because we have some hard heads here that for what ever reason refuse to join in, yet they will play the contest on the board. LOOK HARD HEADS, help a brutha out, and help yourself out in the process.

ALSO, Shoalzie could still run his divisional format system, using YAHOO's stats, and him simply filling the numbers into his brackets. BIG TIME SAVER for everyone.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

The plan is/was for Shoalzie to post the weekly results here ... just like has taken place in years past.

For reasons already stated, the results simply haven't been posted for a couple weeks now.

That's where the breakdown has taken place. The web interface is simply a tool to help make entering picks easy and scorekeeping quick and simple.

While Shoalzie has been snowed under with the move, the results are all still there. Rather than bitching, if someone wanted to help him out and post the weekly scores (either in divisional format or not), I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

If not, I'm sure things will be back to normal once he's able to catch everything up. In the meantime, please continue blaming this that and everything, as it's a much easier path to take.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

orcinus wrote:
For reasons already stated, the results simply haven't been posted for a couple weeks now.
Fair enough. I think some peeps just needed to read that and know that they would be posted at some point.
In the meantime, please continue blaming this that and everything, as it's a much easier path to take.
Not blaming anyone or bitching about it, but if pressed, I'd lay it all on Faust in some way, shape, or form.

Damn weiner dogs are just not to be trusted.
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

No one is to blame except Shoalzie. He took this on and dropped the ball. Been there, done that. He needs to take the heat or give up the contest to someone who is willing to put the time in. Quit blaming the interface or the move. Its Shoalzie's fault.
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

KUTTER wrote:No one is to blame except Shoalzie. He took this on and dropped the ball. Been there, done that. He needs to take the heat or give up the contest to someone who is willing to put the time in. Quit blaming the interface or the move. Its Shoalzie's fault.

Damn, I'm such a selfish bastard for buying a house and moving just to screw all of you over and ruin this...you caught me. You're still able to make picks every week...the standings will be up later this week after my cable and internet is hooked up so keep your shirt on. You say someone else should take it over, than who is willing to step up and do it? I've ran games on this board and TOT for a few years now and I think deserve a little bit of leash while I'm making a major transition in my life. I'm more than happy to keep doing this but if you're going to bitch about me not spending my every living second on this, then you're expecting way too much.
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

Shoalzie wrote:
KUTTER wrote:No one is to blame except Shoalzie. He took this on and dropped the ball. Been there, done that. He needs to take the heat or give up the contest to someone who is willing to put the time in. Quit blaming the interface or the move. Its Shoalzie's fault.

Damn, I'm such a selfish bastard for buying a house and moving just to screw all of you over and ruin this...you caught me. You're still able to make picks every week...the standings will be up later this week after my cable and internet is hooked up so keep your shirt on. You say someone else should take it over, than who is willing to step up and do it? I've ran games on this board and TOT for a few years now and I think deserve a little bit of leash while I'm making a major transition in my life. I'm more than happy to keep doing this but if you're going to bitch about me not spending my every living second on this, then you're expecting way too much.

No one twisted your arm to make you run this. I'm commenting on your failure to live up to what you agreed to do. I gave up running it because I did not have the time to devote to running it properly. You dropped the ball in week 2, knowing that you would not have the time. Did you all of a sudden have to move, with no warning? This is one of those pesky little details that gets missed during a life transition, and it is admittedly trivial. However, you fucked it up nonetheless.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm so sorry that I'm not some robot that posts results and runs games and nothing else. I've got a life outside of this and if you can't deal with that fact, then that's your problem. Yeah, I've not been as reliable as I have been in the past but it's only a few weeks where I not able to do my "job". Between moving and working a 40-hour-a-week job...this is very low on my priorities. It's not like you've not been able to make your picks while this is going on. I still don't know why everyone is so bent out of shape about this. The entire group's standings is listed on the site and I'll post the links to first 4 weeks below...

http://www.theoneboard.com/nfl_pool/results.php?week=1
http://www.theoneboard.com/nfl_pool/results.php?week=2
http://www.theoneboard.com/nfl_pool/results.php?week=3
http://www.theoneboard.com/nfl_pool/results.php?week=4

If you want me to hit my knees and beg for your forgiveness, you're wasting your time. As you said, I don't have to do what I offered but yet you're all still able to make your picks and check out how you did while I've not been able to do my part. If I could put it on the site where the standings were organized by the divisions that I drew up, I wouldn't have to do a thing and all of our problems would be solved.

Clearly, what I do is a thankless task. A few people will be complimentary and show appreciation for what I do but for someone to complain about something that is being done on a voluntary basis is silly. Again, just be patient...the standings will be up Thursday or Friday and then I'll be able to get on a weekly routine. I don't know what else I'm supposed to say. Get over it...
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

I know what I'm talking about here, Shoalzie. It doesn't take a huge time committment to do what we are asking for. In fact, what we have come to EXPECT from whomever runs this game. I did it for several years. You took this on voluntarily and you fucked it up. Now you post on multiple threads defending yourself, yet we still see no standings. Why do you have time to answer charges yet have no time to provide the overall and weekly standings? Do what you agreed to do and this will end. The longer we go without what you promised the longer this will continue.

I know what is involved, and it only takes about an hour a week. Quit giving alibis or go away.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Note to self: Get confidence results posted promptly, or take a trip out back of KUTTERs woodshed.

Seriously, KUT, ease up a bit. It aint the end of the world.

Shoalzie, it aint the end of the world, but it is a little more important to some folks than the lackadaisical approach you are taking. For future reference .... ask me, or someone else to give you a hand, if you need it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm leaving work today in less than an hour to head home where I expect for Comcast to finally hook up my cable and my broadband internet. I will not be able to get at this tonight due to the fact I'm going to opening night at the Joe for the Red Wings. Thursday night after work, I will work on getting caught up with the standings. There's nothing else I can tell you. If Comcast didn't screw me over last week when I got home a couple minutes late, this would've been dealt with last week.

I'm taken aback by the backlash over this. The game does go on whether or not I do my part. I have let you down but you're making it out like I stopped the game all together. You're still able to see how you and your fellow posters have done by checking the website. The divisional standings, which didn't have to be done, are simply a bonus to the game that orcinus was nice enough to let me contribute as well as give me administrator priviledges to his site. I'm not going to go above and beyond what I planned on doing before the season. On Thursday night, I'll post the standings through Week 4 and hopefully, we can all move on as I will be able to get back to doing this on a weekly basis.

I'm sorry this bothers some of you so much. If I was living under normal circumstances I would've been able to do what I said was going to do. During this time, I have been able to sustain the TNC game on the MLB board and I've been able to launch the SNC on the NHL board while this is going on. The main reason why I didn't get around to posting the standings for this is mainly because of this information can be found on the website. What I do is just organize the standings and post them here. It is a simple task, I acknowledge that. I apologize for going three weeks without doing it. I'm done settling my house and I'm fully capable of devoting myself again to this game and every other game I contribute to on this message board. Check back Thursday to see what the latest standings are...
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

I hate you for ruining my life, Shoalzie.
Prototype
Elwood

Post by Prototype »

orcinus wrote:I hate you for ruining my life, Shoalzie.
2nd

:wink:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

3rd

You have ruined my football season (and my LIFE) with your antics, Shoalzie.

I hope you can sleep well at night, and you are gay.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

You hope he's gay?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

OKAAAAAY GUYS I GET IT!

I just got back to work, my cable is hooked up...I'll configure my internet connection when I get home late tonight after the game. I'm back in the fold, your long nightmare will soon come to an end... :lol:

Believe me, I want to get this going again...I'm curious to see who leads the divisions right now. It'll be great to be able to watch TV and surf the web without having to drive 30 minutes to parents house or find time to check e-mail or the message boards while I'm at work.
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

4st
Life's Pretty Straight Without Jimmy Medalions.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I'll jizz my pants if I wake up one morning and see that I'm leading the norris division.......or whatever mine is called.

Jus' sayin'.

I love Shoalzie a lot.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

poptart wrote:I'll jizz my pants if I wake up one morning and see that I'm leading the norris division.......or whatever mine is called.

Jus' sayin'.

I love Shoalzie a lot.

You probably won't get it until tomorrow night. I'll be getting home around midnight or 1 am from the Wings game tonight and I want to install my software to get my internet connection going before I go to bed and then I'd tackle this stuff when I got home from work tomorrow. Believe me, after dealing with all of you jokers, I'm not going to slip up again. I'm glad none of you know where I live... :lol:
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

Shoalzie wrote:I'm glad none of you know where I live...
We have ways of finding out, and it only cost a few grand to get it done!
Tomorrow night, or else…
Run if you have to but keep up!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

godzilla2002 wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I'm glad none of you know where I live...
We have ways of finding out, and it only cost a few grand to get it done!
Tomorrow night, or else…

Chill out my friends...I'm posting directly from my home. I have cable, I have internet, and you will soon have your precious standings.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

THE WAITING

Oh baby don't it feel like heaven right now
Don't it feel like something from a dream
Yeah I've never known football quite like this
Don't it feel like the season might never be again
We know better than to try and pretend
Baby no one could'a ever told me 'bout this
I said yeah yeah

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more 'tard
We take it on faith, you took my sperm dart

Well yeah I might have slapped lil' Shoalzie around
All it ever got me was down
But kickin' his bum made me feel so good
But never as good as I'm feeling right now
Shoalzie you're the only one that's ever known how
To make me wanna jizz like I want to jizz now
I said yeah yeah

Every day you see one more 'tard
We take it on faith, you took my sperm dart

Oh don't let it kill you Shoalzie, don't let it get to you
Don't let it kill you Shoalzie, don't let it get to you
I'll be your hot sperm gun, I'll be your big long tool
Don't let this go too far
Don't let it get to you
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I fucking hate Tom Petty!!!
See what you cause Shoalzie? Now I gota crank Zeppelin to get that crap out of my head!
Run if you have to but keep up!