Patriots vs. Steelers - In Game

The best of the best
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Tom In VA wrote:Did Neil O'Donnell slip some roofies or cloroform Ben ? Or did he do something much more sinister ?
I figured that Ben was just channelling Neil O'Donnell, only to find that the Ghost of Larry Brown came with the package deal.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Watch out, Bonnie!
Namath's on the loose!!! :wink: :wink:
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

PSUFAn with man up, but don't expext a pussy liek BSmack to. He'll still come in here saying the Steelers were tehe better team.

The last comment Shanon Sharpe made in the pre-game show was that New England didn't have the best defence in this game.

WRONG!!!!!

Somebody please explain to me again why Brady isn't one the best QB's in the NFL right now....... :roll:
Last edited by Hapday on Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

How sweet it is!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Well as much as I want McNabb to get the ring.

Would calling the Pats at this point be a Marcus Allen reset ?
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Jeff 2K5
Run from NFL

Post by Jeff 2K5 »

Funkywhiteboy wrote:Bonnie Bernstein reports that Bettis is considering retirement.
She still looks hot, even with the heavy coat and the hat. :wink: :wink:
Rack. And she's a Terrapin. :D
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Hapday wrote:The last comment Shanon Sharpe made in the pre-game show was that New England didn't have the best defence in this game.

WRONG!!!!!
Actually, Sharpe wasn't far off base... Pittsburgh's defense is as good, if not better, than New England's.

However, Pittsburgh's defense didn't have Neil O'Donnell Jr. playing catch with them. The difference in that game is what New England did with the three dumb Roethlisberger picks... 17 points off of those turnovers - otherwise, the Pittsburgh defense would have helped them win it.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

JHawkBCD wrote:
Hapday wrote:The last comment Shanon Sharpe made in the pre-game show was that New England didn't have the best defence in this game.

WRONG!!!!!
Actually, Sharpe wasn't far off base... Pittsburgh's defense is as good, if not better, than New England's.

However, Pittsburgh's defense didn't have Neil O'Donnell Jr. playing catch with them. The difference in that game is what New England did with the three dumb Roethlisberger picks... 17 points off of those turnovers - otherwise, the Pittsburgh defense would have helped them win it.
How many long balls did New England's defense give up?
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Hapday wrote:How many long balls did New England's defense give up?
I seem to recollect Hines Ward tapdancing around weak New England tackles along the sideline at least twice - he scored one touchdown, and set up the offense on 1st & goal at the 4 (when Cowher took the pipe and decided to kick the FG three plays later). Not necessarily long balls, but resulted in big plays all the same.

No need to count long balls when the defense is getting carved up underneath with YAC.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

JHawkBCD wrote: I seem to recollect Hines Ward tapdancing around weak New England tackles along the sideline at least twice - he scored one touchdown, and set up the offense on 1st & goal at the 4 (when Cowher took the pipe and decided to kick the FG three plays later). Not necessarily long balls, but resulted in big plays all the same.
That was underneath, on a wide receiver screen/hitch play.

JHawkBCD wrote:No need to count long balls when the defense is getting carved up underneath with YAC.
Carved underneath? What game were you watching? Big Ben threw for 226 yards, but at least 50 of those yards came against a prewvent defense. I hardly call 150 - 170 yards 'carving up the defense underneath'.

Bottom line: The best team won, period.
Jeff 2K5
Run from NFL

Post by Jeff 2K5 »

3 guarantees in life - Death, taxes, and the Chin losing in the AFC title game. :lol:

Rack Belichick, they just showed a stat that since 2001, the Patriots are 14-0 when facing a QB for the 2nd time that season. Nails. :shock:
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Hapday wrote:Bottom line: The best team won, period.
Not arguing that point, dipshit. You still, however, have failed to prove that Shannon Sharpe's comments were that far off base, and his comments were about the defense, and not the whole team.

Tom Brady made smart decisions, Roethlisberger didn't, and that's why New England won. Brady made New England the better team, not the defense.

Those two deep balls that Brady threw don't mean shit when his average yards per attempt came out to 9.9 on a 67% completion rate (14 for 21). That means that the Pittsburgh defense did a damn good job limiting the rest of the Brady passing attempts.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

JHawkBCD wrote:
Those two deep balls that Brady threw don't mean shit when his average yards per attempt came out to 9.9 on a 67% completion rate (14 for 21). That means that the Pittsburgh defense did a damn good job limiting the rest of the Brady passing attempts.
Wrong again. Good defenses make great plays in big games. Pittsburgh's defense didn't make a single big play all game. New England's made four or five.
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Spin it however you like, but the bottom line is that a rookie's stupidity padded the NE defense's stats (and probably Romeo Crennel's resume) today. Roethlisberger was missing (or just plain not seeing) wide open receivers in the game, and receivers don't get that wide open against "stellar" defenses.
Bill Belichick
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Bill Belichick »

You just have to give our players all the credit in the world for coming out and playing hard today and executing. We've gone up against some stellar teams this season and this game was a huge win for us because we know how great the Steelers are and I have all the respect in the world for Bill Cowher and his staff there.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Here are my thoughts. I was not online during the game.

-Brady is NAILS. Everyone was talking about Dillon...but Brady was the difference maker. He OWNS third down.
-Big Ben had another bad game. I am very hopeful that he'll be a good NFL QB. However, right now he's just not there. As JHawk said above, he was not seeing wide open receivers on just about every play. He was throwing really bad balls, too. When he made a play he did so because of Luck, simply said.
-Ben will be better. He had a great rookie season. Hell, if Charlie Batch had been available in game 2, Ben might have seen the field very little this year. He learned a lot this year, and as a result he'll be better sooner. He comes in next year as the starter, and with a hell of a lot of experience. The kid needs time in the film room. He needs time in meetings, and to work with his teammates It was easy to get caught up in his record-breaking run...but this bad showing makes sense.
-People are going to talk about Cowher...but I think he did a hell of a job this year. He motivated the team properly, and he put some damn good assistants in place and let them do their things.
-Hell of a great season for some Steelers...Hines Ward, Bettis, Jeff Hartings, Alan Faneca, James Farrior...those guys are fucking warriors.
-NE was much more physical than I thought they could be. I definitely took too much away from the Pumpkin Bowl.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
chowd103
Eternal Scobode

Post by chowd103 »

PSUFAN wrote:Here are my thoughts. I was not online during the game.

-Brady is NAILS. Everyone was talking about Dillon...but Brady was the difference maker. He OWNS third down.
-Big Ben had another bad game. I am very hopeful that he'll be a good NFL QB. However, right now he's just not there. As JHawk said above, he was not seeing wide open receivers on just about every play. He was throwing really bad balls, too. When he made a play he did so because of Luck, simply said.
-Ben will be better. He had a great rookie season. Hell, if Charlie Batch had been available in game 2, Ben might have seen the field very little this year. He learned a lot this year, and as a result he'll be better sooner. He comes in next year as the starter, and with a hell of a lot of experience. The kid needs time in the film room. He needs time in meetings, and to work with his teammates It was easy to get caught up in his record-breaking run...but this bad showing makes sense.
-People are going to talk about Cowher...but I think he did a hell of a job this year. He motivated the team properly, and he put some damn good assistants in place and let them do their things.
-Hell of a great season for some Steelers...Hines Ward, Bettis, Jeff Hartings, Alan Faneca, James Farrior...those guys are fucking warriors.
-NE was much more physical than I thought they could be. I definitely took too much away from the Pumpkin Bowl.
Why can't everyone get it like this^ guy? Nice job PSUFAN!

Takes a lot of crust to come in here and chime in the way he does after such a shitty defeat. Class guy! 8)

Billy B. diguises defensive schemes like a mother. His players , although not the most athletic, ('sup Scott Piolli) execute to the best of their abilities.

Teamwork, people. That's what set's the Patriots apart. It's been going on for the last 5 years there.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

come in here and chime in the way he does after such a shitty defeat
Check my nick...I've had a lot of experience since late '99...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Bill Belichick
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Bill Belichick »

chowd103 wrote:
Billy B. diguises defensive schemes like a mother. His players , although not the most athletic, ('sup Scott Piolli) execute to the best of their abilities.

Teamwork, people. That's what set's the Patriots apart. It's been going on for the last 5 years there.

I think everyone here knows where they are susposed to be all times out on the football field and they are patient and collected yet physically sound. It's not an easy combination to teach, but these guys know how to make it work.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

JHawkBCD wrote:Spin it however you like, but the bottom line is that a rookie's stupidity padded the NE defense's stats (and probably Romeo Crennel's resume) today. Roethlisberger was missing (or just plain not seeing) wide open receivers in the game, and receivers don't get that wide open against "stellar" defenses.
How the fuck do you explain Pitt's last scoring drive then, great offense? The better team won, AGAIN.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T THE MODERN DAY DYNASTY
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Cueball wrote:How the fuck do you explain Pitt's last scoring drive then, great offense?
WTF are you talking about? Did you suffer a concussion from a champagne cork hitting you in the dome?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Yep
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Cueball wrote:Yep

You too???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeff 2K5
Run from NFL

Post by Jeff 2K5 »

They showed on ESPN that Brady is 56-14 (win % of .800) in his career. If he wins 2 weeks from now he will have spent 4 seasons as a starter, with a 57-14 record and THREE FOOKIN RINGS. Ridiculous. :shock:
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Hapday wrote:PSUFAn with man up, but don't expext a pussy liek BSmack to. He'll still come in here saying the Steelers were tehe better team.
What a fucking moron you are Hap. I wasn't in this thread yesterday because I was out watching THE GAME. You know, away from the computer. Break the fuckin cord you loser and stop mixing crack with your Labbats.
The last comment Shanon Sharpe made in the pre-game show was that New England didn't have the best defence in this game.

Wrong
You know, Canadians should just shut the fuck up about American football. If you don't understand the difference between good defense and defense brought on by stupid ass turnovers, then you have no business talking about the game of football. Why don't you shove a curling stone up your fucking ass?
Somebody please explain to me again why Brady isn't one the best QB's in the NFL right now....... :roll:
BTW: Nobody ever said that Brady wasn't one of the better QBs in the NFL. The debate was wether or not Brady is a better QB than Manning. I'm not entirely sure that Brady is a better QB than McNabb, and I know damn well that Farve would dominate if given that team to play with.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

BSmack wrote:
You know, Canadians should just shut the fuck up about American football. If you don't understand the difference between good defense and defense brought on by stupid ass turnovers
Thanks for KYOA and admitting you are an idiot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Hapday wrote:
BSmack wrote:
You know, Canadians should just shut the fuck up about American football. If you don't understand the difference between good defense and defense brought on by stupid ass turnovers
Thanks for KYOA and admitting you are an idiot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well if it isn't our resident dumbass Canuck come back for another beating.

Obviously you still don't understand that no defense in the world is going to hold rock solid when their offense hands over the ball. Conversely, the Pats gave up 27 points after causing 3 INTs AND suffering no offensive turnovers. The argument that the Patriots have the best defense in the NFL can be made, but is not the mortal lock that you think it is and sure as hell wasn't proven during this game.

Tell me, when does hockey season start? :wink:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

BSmack wrote:
Obviously you still don't understand that no defense in the world is going to hold rock solid when their offense hands over the ball. Conversely, the Pats gave up 27 points after causing 3 INTs AND suffering no offensive turnovers. The argument that the Patriots have the best defense in the NFL can be made, but is not the mortal lock that you think it is and sure as hell wasn't proven during this game.
The third interception was due to a really bad throw by Big Ben. You can almost say any throw that leads to an INT is a bad throw, but that throw should have been complete. The receiver was wide open.

The other two interceptions were due to great coverage, and smart defensive play. The strip on Bettis was due to hard work on the defense, and even if they had't stripped the ball they were still going to stop Bettis short.

You can say it wasn't a great defense but you really would sound even like more of an idiot.
BSmack wrote:Tell me, when does hockey season start? :wink:
I don't want to talk about it!! :x :x
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Hapday wrote:The third interception was due to a really bad throw by Big Ben. You can almost say any throw that leads to an INT is a bad throw, but that throw should have been complete. The receiver was wide open.

The other two interceptions were due to great coverage, and smart defensive play. The strip on Bettis was due to hard work on the defense, and even if they had't stripped the ball they were still going to stop Bettis short.
All three of those INTs were the direct result of poor decision making on Roethlisberger's part. On the first two INTs he had wide open recievers in the same area of the field that he chose not to throw to. And on the 3rd pick, he simply did not deliver the ball to his open reciever.

The strip on Bettis wasn't even a real fumble, his forward progress had already be stopped. The only reason it wasn't challenged was because they would not have gotten the first anyway. That why I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT AND ONLY MENTIONED THE 3 INTs YOU FUCKING THINKHEADED MORON.
You can say it wasn't a great defense but you really would sound even like more of an idiot.
You didn't say "great" defense, you said "best defense in the NFL". There are a few great defenses in the NFL. Choke on your own words much?
BSmack wrote:Tell me, when does hockey season start? :wink:
I don't want to talk about it!! :x :x
That's the smartest thing I've seen from you yet.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Keep melting, it's quite obvious you are completely full of shit and have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody here is surprised.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Hapday wrote:Keep melting, it's quite obvious you are completely full of shit and have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody here is surprised.
Then please do illustrate. Attacking the messenger is only one part of smack. Try attacking the argument.

Oh wait, you CAN'T.

:roll:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

In the span of two weeks, the Patriots defense made the NFL's best offense look like a bunch of highschoolers, and the very next week they allow Pittsburgh (with a supposedly great ground game) only one good drive all day. Well actually two, but one was against a prevent defense.

What did Pittsburgh's defense do? Allowed the Jets to drive down the field and attempt a game-winning field goal with a minute left, and they held the Patriots to under 41 points (not all were scored by the offense but you get the picture). Yeah, props. :roll:

Yes, you are a moron.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Hapday wrote:In the span of two weeks, the Patriots defense made the NFL's best offense look like a bunch of highschoolers, and the very next week they allow Pittsburgh (with a supposedly great ground game) only one good drive all day. Well actually two, but one was against a prevent defense.
Actualy dipshit, the Steelers had drives of 57, 56, 60 and 53 yards against the "best defense in the NFL". The only drive that was against a "prevent" defense was the 6 play 61 yard drive at the end of the game that resulted in the Buress TD.
What did Pittsburgh's defense do?
Held the Jets to NO offensive TDs and played at the same level as the Patriots defense in the AFC Championship. If you want to point fingers, it was the Steelers offense that lost the game, not the defense. That defense more than held it's own.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

Hapday wrote:Keep melting, it's quite obvious you are completely full of shit and have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody here is surprised.
Game/Set/Match, 'bode Bsmack.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:That defense more than held it's own.
Well, except for those bombs to Deion Branch, the 25 yard scamper by Corey Dillon, a few key 3rd down conversions and a couple of untimely holding penalties the defense really held up beautifully.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:That defense more than held it's own.
Well, except for those bombs to Deion Branch, the 25 yard scamper by Corey Dillon, a few key 3rd down conversions and a couple of untimely holding penalties the defense really held up beautifully.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
And you could say the same thing about New England's defense. Which was my fucking point all along.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:And you could say the same thing about New England's defense. Which was my fucking point all along.
No, you couldn't. How many times was Brady picked again? How many fumbles did the Steelers force?

Christ, they gave up 4 touchdowns and two field goals. That's bad, OK?
It's not like the Steelers rookie QB threw 3 gimmie picks or anything. :roll:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

BSmack wrote:
mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:And you could say the same thing about New England's defense. Which was my fucking point all along.
No, you couldn't. How many times was Brady picked again? How many fumbles did the Steelers force?

Christ, they gave up 4 touchdowns and two field goals. That's bad, OK?
It's not like the Steelers rookie QB threw 3 gimmie picks or anything. :roll:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

If you wanted to bullshit you could say one was a gimme.
Jeff 2K5
Run from NFL

Post by Jeff 2K5 »

Wrong
I think he was referring to the fact that statistically the Steelers had the #1 D in the league this season. However when it matters most on the field, the Pats have had the best D and certainly in the playoffs the Pats D has been the best of all the playoff teams.

BSmack wrote:BTW: Nobody ever said that Brady wasn't one of the better QBs in the NFL. The debate was wether or not Brady is a better QB than Manning. I'm not entirely sure that Brady is a better QB than McNabb, and I know damn well that Farve would dominate if given that team to play with.
Oh you mean the same Favre who's thrown 25+ INT's every year of his career and who has an INT rate of 2 per quarter in the playoffs the last few years? :roll: :?

Why did the Steelers lose yesterday? Turnovers. Favre turns the ball over, Brady doesn't. Brady is about to win a 3rd ring with no-name WR's, Favre has 1 ring only because of Desmond Howard. Nuff said.

Brady doesn't turn the ball over, oh by the way that's how teams win games in the playoffs. When Favre hasn't had great WR's, his stats have sucked in recent years. Crucial playoff games the last few years, Favre throws INT's left and right.

As for the Brady vs Manning debate, Manning has 15 pro bowl caliber weapons on offense, Brady has a bunch of no-name WR's. I'll take Brady and his 2 about to be 3 rings over Manning's none.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Jeff 2K5 wrote:

Wrong
I think he was referring to the fact that statistically the Steelers had the #1 D in the league this season. However when it matters most on the field, the Pats have had the best D and certainly in the playoffs the Pats D has been the best of all the playoff teams.

BSmack wrote:BTW: Nobody ever said that Brady wasn't one of the better QBs in the NFL. The debate was wether or not Brady is a better QB than Manning. I'm not entirely sure that Brady is a better QB than McNabb, and I know damn well that Farve would dominate if given that team to play with.
Oh you mean the same Favre who's thrown 25+ INT's every year of his career and who has an INT rate of 2 per quarter in the playoffs the last few years? :roll: :?

Why did the Steelers lose yesterday? Turnovers. Favre turns the ball over, Brady doesn't. Brady is about to win a 3rd ring with no-name WR's, Favre has 1 ring only because of Desmond Howard. Nuff said.

Brady doesn't turn the ball over, oh by the way that's how teams win games in the playoffs. When Favre hasn't had great WR's, his stats have sucked in recent years. Crucial playoff games the last few years, Favre throws INT's left and right.

As for the Brady vs Manning debate, Manning has 15 pro bowl caliber weapons on offense, Brady has a bunch of no-name WR's. I'll take Brady and his 2 about to be 3 rings over Manning's none.
Where do I even start with this tard?

Oh wait, you're the jackass who compared Cowher's gameplan to Shottenhiemer. That means your opinion doesn't count.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown