DVD burner or DVD Recorder?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

DVD burner or DVD Recorder?

Post by Cueball »

I'm starting the process of shopping around for one or the other. My PC does not have a DVD drive. Am I better off buying a burner for my machine or a stand alone recorder?
verbal
nine inch male

Post by verbal »

just buy a drive.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=5&DEPA=1

they get cheaper and cheaper
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Before you buy consider what you'll be using it for.

Standard dual function dvd/CD writers are cheap. You can get decent brand names for about $50/drive. You might also consider the dual layer dvd writer drives. This is only useful if you will regularly be backing up large (9.4gb+) of data or you don't mind paying ~$10 per disk. Regular DVD +R or -R disks cost about $0.50 if not less. Its not uncommon to only pay about $40-$50 for 100 disks. Only buy a writer that supports both the + and - format. The -R format is better for 'backing' up your DVD movies while the +R format is generally prefered for data, but it really doesn't matter which one you use until someone hands you one format that your dvd player can't read.

If you can't find a DVD burner for around $50, let us know and we'll throw in a few deals.

-ET
David_Copperfield
The Wizard

Post by David_Copperfield »

the general concensus is that you will have a better shot with your dvd player reading a +R dvd.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

From what I've read, and experienced personally, -R is compatible with more dvd players.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Donovan wrote:From what I've read, and experienced personally, -R is compatible with more dvd players.
Yes. Like my Sony.

Although the cheap, off-brand players will play both formats.

Try a cheapie brand that also has progressive scan, and you should be good.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Thanks for all the input. Looks like a burner for the PC. Now the task is finding the right one for the right price.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

The Lite-On featured at the top of verbal's link is a great drive. It's the one I have (actually, mine is the 1653S but it's basically the same). The NEC drives are also great, and possibly even better than Lite-On.
David_Copperfield
The Wizard

Post by David_Copperfield »

Donovan wrote:From what I've read, and experienced personally, -R is compatible with more dvd players.
hmm, i dunno then...all i know is that they're cheap enough to have both on hand.
chargerfan
Elwood

Post by chargerfan »

i just put this in my system and it works perfectly. havent burned 1 bad movie yet and have done over 40 so far.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Arrrr Matey, here be some deals:

Staples: I/O Magic 16x4x16x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±RW/±R Internal Drive (Mfr# IDVD16DD) » only $54.94 + Free Shipping

Media:
OfficeMax: Khypermedia 100-Pack CD-R (KHC242400000) » only $8.99
Amazon.com has the 10 Pack Velocity DVD-R 4X 4.7GB Discs $2

I've used Maddog, I/O Magic, TDK and LiteON and all of them seem fairly decent. If you go to froogle or bizrate and search for dvd burners, you should be able to get many choices for close to $40. Make sure it reads both formats. Dual layer is probably a little too expensive but if you can get it cheap enough, it certainly won't hurt.

-ET