Chicken in a pot

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Chicken in a pot

Post by RadioFan »

Crock pot, that is.

Usually I coat a whole chicken with Emeril's essence, put it in the pot and put a little water at the bottom (1/3-1/2 full with the chicken inside). I usually start it on high, then turn it down after the first hour or so, and let it cook all day on low. Barring a power failure, it always turns out great.

But I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas/ways of cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot.

Anybody ever do this with difference spices or add veggies?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Don't have a crock pot, though sometimes I wish I did.

My brother and his son and a friend of the son were over last night. They're visiting from Scottsdale for a weekend at the beach. These guys are big eaters...my nephew is 6'5" and still growing. I cooked three 5 lb chickens using the infallible beer can method on the bbq. Seasoned with Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt and dried minced garlic. This is another chicken recipe that never fails.

I just finshed scarfing a sammich made from left over white meat, sourdough bread, lettuce and homegrown tomatoes. That was awesome.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Beer-butt chicken or "drunken chicken" as I've seen it, was actually my second option on the menu last night!

I'll have to try this Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt stuff. I've seen you post about it before, but can't seem to find it. Is it a regional thing? :?

Btw, my beer-butt chicken coating involves Cayenne pepper, chili power, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and brown sugar, of course. 8)

That, and putting water-soaked mesquite chips on the coals of my Weber.

Damn, Mikey, we need to have a beer-butt chicken cookoff!
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.