8%
Pick the same 20 - just pick winner
23%

Total votes: 13

At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Pumped for Pick 'em Game w/suggestions

Post by At Large »

Yes, I am pumped up for the Pick 'Em Game, no matter how hair-pulling it is to do. If anything, it proves to me that I would absolutely suck as a gambler. After all, if I can't break even with no money on the table, I'd have to think that my judgement would be even cloudier.

I have a few suggestions for the game. I truly appreciate the care and effort that is given this game, but I was wondering if some changes are in order.

Instead of picking 10 games out of 40 games on the list, I'm suggesting everyone gets the same 20 games that they have to pick. A lot of people (like me) try to get an edge by picking the same team (Boise State one year) every week that is a lock to cover (and they were).

So let's say that every game involves every team in the top 25 (save a few if all are playing and not each other), it would make it challenging and it would force me to care about games that I was avoiding having to pick.

So those are my suggestions:

1. Pick 20 games
2. Everybody picks the same
3. Every game involves a top 25 team
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Actually, I really like the way this pick 'em game works. I can see where you are coming from with your ideas, but actually what makes this Pick 'em so much more fun (to me anyway) is that everyone doesn't pick all the same games.

There are tons of games like this out on the net, but most of them involve everybody picking the same games. That has always been what makes this one different and special to me.

I am fine with some changes being made, but whatever is changed, I think should still involve people being able to pick different games to bet on.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Just curious, what software do you use to calculate the points? And do you import all the picks or key them in?
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

I like 88's ranking idea. We do this at work for bowl season.

Large, good god man we'll never get to pick the 'skers if we have that "tip" on a certain week if they aren't in the top 25.

Plus ties would run rampant and I'm not crazy about tie breaking "guesses."
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

It takes enough of my time to put in 10 picks per person. I don't see myself upping it to 20.

In addition, I spent about 2 weeks every night after work putting together the formulas that automate my process as much as possible. I just don't have the time to spend to make that many drastic changes to my process right now, not with only a few weeks until games start.

If someone else wants to take over and change up the games, I'd be more than happy to hand over the reigns. If not, then I'll run them the same way I have the last 4 years.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Frisco,

What software do you use? I may be able to help automate your process a little more (if we go with the ranking idea).
I spent about 2 weeks every night after work...
:lol: Rack the Kramer reference.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I use Excel. It's about a 3.5 MB file loaded with formulas. In order to inject rankings, it would be a complete rewrite because it does not take into account the order in which the picks are made/ranked.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

IndyFrisco wrote: If not, then I'll run them the same way I have the last 4 years.

Wise decision. I got yer back.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I have the aptitude to make it better, just not the drive.