Spicy wonton in peanut sauce

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

Sounds like a lot of work! Rack Marinating them in Tabasco though.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

so, when did you first "try" nachos, Todd?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

so, this was nachos with real cheese or the kind with a pump--cheese sauce.

???
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I'm not sure what this is that you are talking about. Is this a fried wonton that is spicy, topped with a peanut sauce ala nachos? Are the wrappers red?

More than likely the spice comes from Chili Oil. Very easy to make. take vegetable oil, peanut oil & heat to med. Add either fresh diced red chili peppers or chili pepper flakes. Cook for about 7 minutes until the oil is red. Add a teaspoon of cumin & a teaspoon of sugar. My guess would be that the wontons are made with Chili oil replacing the oil normally used in making the wrappers. Fried and topped with a Thai peanut sauce. Thai peanut sauce is much like Peanut butter except it is made with coconut milk and curry paste.

Looks like you're trying to find a way to half ass this recipe at home.

Buy some wonton wrappers, Chili Oil, and Peanut sauce. Soak the wontons in chili sauce for a few minutes (too long and they'll not be useable). fry in a med hot skillet with oil for a few seconds until golden. Top with warm peanut sauce.

There are many recipes for peanut sauce available all over the web.

Chili oil on top a a cracker top with plain old Jiff is pretty good as a quick and effortless snack.

Making your own chili oil is easy, you can also use hotter peppers for hotter oil. This stuff packs a punch.

Cook outside if you can, or start with the windows open.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Ok, I'm starting to get the picture. As luck would have it, we made Pot Stickers (Dumplings) for dinner last night. There are two basic ways to get dumplings. Fried or boiled. I prefer the fried. Although not fried in the traditional drop in oil sense.

The method used for crisping them is to place in a skillet or wok with a tablespoon of hot oil. Allow to crisp on one side (about a minute) and then pour in a cup of chicken broth. The broth steams and does the cooking, evaporates, leaving the oil to re-crisp the dumpling.

The process of making the dumplings is quite easy. buy some ground pork (or whatever ground meat...Shrimp rock in these) Mix with some diced veggies, roll in a wonton wrapper and then cook. There are also some frozen dumplings that are decent in a pinch.

If you have a meat grinder, Dumplings can be made out of anything.

If you're looking for a wonton sized dumpling with some heat I think you could accomplish a couple of ways.

1) Make your own and drop some heavy spice in the meat.

2)Make your own and fry them, but instead of using chicken broth in the second step, use a spicy ass liquid. Make sure it's a thin liquid as it's water content is necessary to steam the dumplings. I'd boil a few cerrano peppers, garlic, and ginger in a cup and a half of water until it reduces to a cup, strain and use the liquid. Dry spice would also work. The dumplings will absorb much of the flavor and heat.

3)buy the frozen dumplings and fry them as listed above.

We use world Art Foods Asian Wasabi Plum sauce as a dipping sauce for dumplings.

here's a link to one of their product pages. They also have a Thai Ginger peanut sauce listed at the bottom of the page.

http://www.worldartfoods.com/products.php?group=1

We buy this stuff at HEB, but I don't think that chain exists outside of Texas. But the sites product page lists their retailers. Looks like they are available in most of the country.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.